Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Diabolik900 posted:

Apps can't just stay active all the time. No disagreement there. The ten minute limit isn't true anymore though. My understanding is that the apps can now have however long it takes to finish whatever they're doing, but with the major caveat that its time isn't guaranteed to be continuous. Also there are a few ways that apps can be woken up in the background, which wasn't possible before.

OK but the way it all works out means that an IRC client cannot stay connected in the background for more than 10 minutes and you need a bouncer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Most apps abide by the 10-minute limit, but one of the big offenders that doesn't abide is Google Hangouts, which had eaten about 30% of my battery by itself over the course of the day because I checked a voice mail to my GV number.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Diabolik900 posted:

Apps can't just stay active all the time. No disagreement there. The ten minute limit isn't true anymore though. My understanding is that the apps can now have however long it takes to finish whatever they're doing, but with the major caveat that its time isn't guaranteed to be continuous. Also there are a few ways that apps can be woken up in the background, which wasn't possible before.

Wasn't that the issue with Facebook app draining the battery? Constantly doing location updates in the background? 8 is definitely a lot more relaxed in terms of apps that can actively do stuff in the background.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Diabolik900 posted:

That might be what I was thinking of re: 10 minute limit, I remember hearing the situation changed but I forgot the exact details.

flosofl posted:

Wasn't that the issue with Facebook app draining the battery? Constantly doing location updates in the background? 8 is definitely a lot more relaxed in terms of apps that can actively do stuff in the background.
Something like that yeah, that's the shady thing I was referring to. I think they registered the app as using one of those background allowable services at one point to allow it to stay open even though it didn't actually need it or didn't use it in the intended manner.

jototo
Sep 3, 2003

I'm getting addicted to Periscope. Biggest advantage over Meerkat is that it has a splash screen in the app with current broadcasts. Lots of crap broadcasts (people smoking weed and being boring, random kids being annoying) but there are some chill people who answer questions, some people in interesting places doing interesting things.

Today I came across this

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

jototo posted:

I'm getting addicted to Periscope. Biggest advantage over Meerkat is that it has a splash screen in the app with current broadcasts. Lots of crap broadcasts (people smoking weed and being boring, random kids being annoying) but there are some chill people who answer questions, some people in interesting places doing interesting things.

Today I came across this

I think I know those people :psyduck:

jototo
Sep 3, 2003

Lady Gaza posted:

I think I know those people :psyduck:

I can honestly say I don't know a single clown, but I have been to Camden Town so this was not a surprise to me.

Vanellope
Mar 26, 2015

I've just got pixlexia, okay?
I love Periscope, but I wish I could search by location. I'd love to just type in some random place names and see what people are up to over there.

jototo
Sep 3, 2003

It frustrates me that iphone 6/6+ are out and developers are up scaling apps for the higher res phone screens but running an iPhone app on iPad still uses a relatively low res version and the shorter dimensions of iPhone 4. Please fix this Tim Cook

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
So after VLC's triumphant return, they've again had to remove AC3 audio support from their app. Have any of the iOS (mainly iPad) media players actually got a license for it and if so, are they any good for general use? Don't really need streaming support or anything, just want a simple video player with folder support that can play most things I can throw at it from my PC.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Think nPlayer does.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Starbucks Pick of the Week is Fotonica, a running jumping game. Normally $0.99.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

bobfather posted:

Most apps abide by the 10-minute limit, but one of the big offenders that doesn't abide is Google Hangouts, which had eaten about 30% of my battery by itself over the course of the day because I checked a voice mail to my GV number.

I was wondering why hangouts was eating my battery, I gotta just force close it a few times a day

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

EconOutlines posted:

Starbucks Pick of the Week is Fotonica, a running jumping game. Normally $0.99.

Grabbed PWRM. Thank you, much appreciated.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Thanks, got 6YPLY!

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Grabbed TTXNF.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The CEO is asking for a password manager that will run on his iPhone and computers. My past experience with password managers left me feeling that they are clumsy, unintuitive pieces of crap.

That said I'd like to hear if anyone has suggestions.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I use LastPass and it's good. People also like 1password. If he's okay with doing all the management stuff himself, there's also Keepass.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
1Password is great but the mac/pc licenses are like $60. You can sort of get around this on a mac by downloading the trial version. When the trial runs out you won't be able to edit the data but you can still access everything that's there and sync/update/manage it all through the iphone application.

or, you know, buy the license if you feel you need to.

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

Lastpass is good. It's only 12 dollars for a year. Unlocking with your fingerprint is no problem. I've never used another password manager so I can't compare them.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Thanks for the quick answers. I'll give Lastpass a try to see how it goes.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I've used 1Password and LastPass, and you get what you pay for. 1Password has the better interface, LastPass is cheap. If Linux support is a concern, then you probably want to avoid 1Password, because it has no integration aside from some janky 3rd party tools that sort of work some of the time.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ZShakespeare posted:

I've used 1Password and LastPass, and you get what you pay for. 1Password has the better interface, LastPass is cheap. If Linux support is a concern, then you probably want to avoid 1Password, because it has no integration aside from some janky 3rd party tools that sort of work some of the time.

Also, 1Password on OSX only does iCloud sync if you purchase it through the Mac App Store. You're stuck with Dropbox if you buy it directly from them or on sale elsewhere.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Any password managers with good weather and/or podcast features?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Hey look man, I don't like how you're using your weather podcasting password manager. Maybe you should just use SMS like a normal human being?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Does anyone else use Dashlane? Does it work for Gmail? I turned off the For some reason it wont automatically log in and it's kind of annoying to have to open the app and copy/paste the thing especially since I have to bounce around a couple different email addresses. I think the app should just automatically log in for me or at least let me copy/paste the thing from the browser extension.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Zigmidge posted:

Hey look man, I don't like how you're using your weather podcasting password manager. Maybe you should just use SMS like a normal human being?

Wait, I thought FB Messenger was what normal human beings used!?!?

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Wait, I thought FB Messenger was what normal human beings used!?!?

You use Messages so if someone's message comes through as green you can berate them for not using an iPhone and then stop talking to them irl because they're a lesser human being on par with swine or bovine.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

keevo posted:

Does anyone else use Dashlane?

Nope.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Anyone heard of a little golden nugget I found on the back 9 of the internet? It's called Dashlane.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I wish there was a way to ignore a specific app update. The latest version of VLC (and all future versions it seems) loses support for AC3, and I'd like to be able to just tap "Update All".

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

keevo posted:

Does anyone else use Dashlane? Does it work for Gmail? I turned off the For some reason it wont automatically log in and it's kind of annoying to have to open the app and copy/paste the thing especially since I have to bounce around a couple different email addresses. I think the app should just automatically log in for me or at least let me copy/paste the thing from the browser extension.

I do, I like it :shrug:

The broswer extension loves to not work for me, It kinda sucks. More reliable to go to the app, copy the pass, and multitask back to Safari.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
What about Dashlane?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

noirstronaut posted:

What about Dashlane?

I heard it's getting a weather widget this week.

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day

keevo posted:

FWIW I had an awful experience with the desktop version, some combination of bloated software and a memory leak.

https://itunes.apple.com/app/marginnote-reader-take-notes/id769389582

eReader app with epub+pdf support, an interesting way of handling notes and annotations, plus support for exporting notes and annotations to Dropbox and Evernote. Looks like it might be the one-stop-shop for people who want to keep all their reading and note-taking in one app,

Are there any other apps with this specific set of features? Personally I've not found anything that worked for me until this, seamless reading and note-taking on the iPad never really worked out for me. So much so that I sold my iPad and switched to a rooted Nook HD+ but if this app is what I hope it is I'm back in the iPad camp.

Anybody tried it? Any alternatives that integrate epub and pdf into the same app with strong note-taking capabilities?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Does anyone have a recommendation for an iOS real-time tracking app, similar to this Android app? The main features I'm interested in:

- having a URL that I can hand out to ~1500 people and they can get the location of a single user of interest
- being somewhat difficult to impersonate the single user of interest

Free is good, but I can pay if I need to. I don't actually have an iOS device to test with.

I've found this web-based thing:

http://www.trackonthemap.com

But it's way too easy to impersonate the person of interest on this.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Ok so I haven't really used iTunes since you haven't really needed to sync your phone with it which has been a couple years. And I'm just lost in iTunes 12.

But maybe a different app can help me. All I want to do is I have about 50 mp3's from some Youtube D&D playthroughs that I've ripped to my computer.

I want to play those MP3's on my phone. How the hell do I do it? iTunes refuses to recognize my phone or I don't see where you sync it anymore.

None of my Podcast apps let me add my own MP3's.

What's the easiest way to just play a bunch of MP3's preferably automatically one after the other?

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Disappointing Pie posted:

Ok so I haven't really used iTunes since you haven't really needed to sync your phone with it which has been a couple years. And I'm just lost in iTunes 12.

But maybe a different app can help me. All I want to do is I have about 50 mp3's from some Youtube D&D playthroughs that I've ripped to my computer.

I want to play those MP3's on my phone. How the hell do I do it? iTunes refuses to recognize my phone or I don't see where you sync it anymore.

None of my Podcast apps let me add my own MP3's.

What's the easiest way to just play a bunch of MP3's preferably automatically one after the other?

Just so I'm clear. You want to transfer the MP3s onto your iPhone, but iTunes won't recognize your phone, so you are looking for a different program that will allow you to transfer the files to your iPhone? Also, are you on a Mac or a PC?

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

RhoA posted:

Just so I'm clear. You want to transfer the MP3s onto your iPhone, but iTunes won't recognize your phone, so you are looking for a different program that will allow you to transfer the files to your iPhone? Also, are you on a Mac or a PC?

Pretty much, I'm on a PC.

So far I've just resorted to uploading them to my web server and playing them in safari but I'd rather they be on the actual device.

Also maybe Dropbox?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Tunebox will play MP3s from Dropbox.