Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Partial Octopus posted:

Just don't bother with leylines.

All lies. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Tom Ross on stream right now appeared in his G2 to be playing around a card like Foul-Tongue. He immediately played a 2nd creature on the board whenever he drew one all game.

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013
I wish that someday SCG would switch to broadcasting two feature matches simultaneously each round. I can't begin to describe how stupid and boring heroic decks are to watch. Put a lovely card on the battlefield, make lovely card better with pump spells, use protection spells to keep lovely pumped up card in play. I get that it's a viable deck and it works but if there's a more boring deck to watch I'm dying to know what it is.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

morning wood posted:

I wish that someday SCG would switch to broadcasting two feature matches simultaneously each round. I can't begin to describe how stupid and boring heroic decks are to watch. Put a lovely card on the battlefield, make lovely card better with pump spells, use protection spells to keep lovely pumped up card in play. I get that it's a viable deck and it works but if there's a more boring deck to watch I'm dying to know what it is.

I find all Abzan variants to be more boring.

Edit: Probably because Heroic decks go against everything I learned forever ago so I find it really fascinating every time I see it. Abzan is just a dull, no frills deck that makes me wish for the return to rev/mono black decks.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 4, 2015

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

morning wood posted:

:qq: Why can't all decks be un-synergistic goodstuff decks?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

bhsman posted:

:qq: Why can't all decks be un-synergistic goodstuff decks?

This but without the sarcasm.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Wow, huge mistake by Tom missing the Rebound trigger on Center Soul.

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013
I'd venture to say that lost him the game.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Eh, if he gets the rebound and says pro-black, doesn't Fabiano just block with Wayfinder, and the game ends much the same way? I think the bigger mistake was perhaps not leaving up blue for Stubborn Denial, but hard to know in advance.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
So what happens to a rebounded card of you miss the trigger. It just stays exiled I take it?

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013

Death Bot posted:

So what happens to a rebounded card of you miss the trigger. It just stays exiled I take it?

Yes.

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013
Saw the tail end of the deck tech that mentioned using Abzan colors to play Assault Formation, Courser of Kruphix, and Nyx-Fleece Ram. Didn't see the whole thing but I'm thinking two other decent creature choices would be Orator of Ojuotai to have an answer to flyers and Wall of Limbs for the damage on sacrifice since you have potential life gain from Courser, Ram, and Sorin assuming he's being played. Thoughts? I just may have to try this at FNM.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

morning wood posted:

GW devotion is so boring it actually makes other games happening in the same room less interesting.

Edit: Butt Formation is definitely a thing, I watched a guy play it at FNM yesterday and he went 3-1. I might build it if ever I get bored of Sidisi Whip.

Yawgmoth fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 4, 2015

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
Hey does anyone in Seattle know of any in-person playtest groups? I need to find one so I can playtest in general, but I need a group for the SCG Open that is coming up here at the end of the month.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Stupid gambling story: I went to the LGS because I decided I wanted a third Sarkhan Unbroken. They didn't have any so I bought two packs. First pack had Sarkhan Unbroken, second pack had foil Secure the Wastes and Kolaghan's Command.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
http://hitbox.tv/marchhare legacy thunderdome match bein streamed by THE MARCH HARE

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

From MaRo's tumblr:

Is there a mechanic that you really thought you’d never bring back that you did?
Ask me again in a year : )

Hm, interesting. Could be nothing.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Serperoth posted:

From MaRo's tumblr:

Is there a mechanic that you really thought you’d never bring back that you did?

One year later:

Nope!

Edit: Joke response:

Rebound

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Just go through his list of posts about the storm scale and find something that seems unlikely but not absurd. Then be amazed in a year you successfully predicted, I don't know, rebels or some poo poo.

My personal preference would be delve and threshold in the same standard. Failing that, Frample as a new evergreen keyword.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Spiderdrake posted:

Just go through his list of posts about the storm scale and find something that seems unlikely but not absurd. Then be amazed in a year you successfully predicted, I don't know, rebels or some poo poo.

My personal preference would be delve and threshold in the same standard. Failing that, Frample as a new evergreen keyword.

Most of the time I see him putting things higher on the list (rather than lower) once we get farther away from them and he realizes they're broken, e.g. Cascade. Kingcobweb wrote a (often unfair) review of RTR recently in which he basically laid into Maro for being employed by WOTC and toeing the party line. The one thing I will agree with is that Maro sometimes confuses "popular" with "good."

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 5, 2015

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Sotar posted:

Hey does anyone in Seattle know of any in-person playtest groups? I need to find one so I can playtest in general, but I need a group for the SCG Open that is coming up here at the end of the month.

Its not gonna be here, they moved it to portland.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Angry Grimace posted:

Most of the time I see him putting things higher on the list (rather than lower) once we get farther away from them and he realizes they're broken, e.g. Cascade. Kingcobweb wrote a (often unfair) review of RTR recently in which he basically laid into Maro for being employed by WOTC and toeing the party line. The one thing I will agree with is that Maro sometimes confuses "popular" with "good."

I just read the article I think you're referring to and it seems pretty good :shobon: The fact that Maro's voice is the way it is because of being employed by WOTC shouldn't serve to deflect critique. That's sort of the point.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

Cactrot posted:

Its not gonna be here, they moved it to portland.

Well, nevermind then :(. Still, I would like to know where to find playtest groups.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

Serperoth posted:

From MaRo's tumblr:

annihilator.. calling it.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

JerryLee posted:

I just read the article I think you're referring to and it seems pretty good :shobon: The fact that Maro's voice is the way it is because of being employed by WOTC shouldn't serve to deflect critique. That's sort of the point.

The problem is that Rosewater isn't revising history by originally saying a set is good and then later saying it was bad. He starts by saying "you will love this new set" and then later may say "turns out you didn't love the new set, and I believe the reasons are X, Y, and Z."

People are just really, really upset that he won't commit to the saying Avacyn Restored was an unmitigated disaster of epic proportions. I don't think its fair to either expect him to believe or say that, regardless of whether he works for Wizards.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

DoctorOozy posted:

annihilator.. calling it.

God please dont bring this poo poo back.

Angry Grimace posted:

The problem is that Rosewater isn't revising history by originally saying a set is good and then later saying it was bad. He starts by saying "you will love this new set" and then later may say "turns out you didn't love the new set, and I believe the reasons are X, Y, and Z."

People are just really, really upset that he won't commit to the saying Avacyn Restored was an unmitigated disaster of epic proportions. I don't think its fair to either expect him to believe or say that, regardless of whether he works for Wizards.

Wait why was AVR a disaster?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

God please dont bring this poo poo back.

Wait why was AVR a disaster?

To quote someone else "The problem is that [. . .] AVR comes out as a set that's awful in limited, that made Standard significantly worse, that contributed miserable fun-sucking cards to Commander, that left Legacy dumber, and that only really had Timmy wow-factor to show for it in the other direction."

All to some extent true, but I don't know that its fair to say Maro's being disingenuous by producing positives from it. Indeed, they clearly learned from it since they did another set that is the same concept - its called Dragons of Tarkir, and I think for the most part, we're happy with the set both in Standard and in Limited.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Nothing's wrong with Annihilator and permanents aren't sacred cows.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Chill la Chill posted:

Sorry having to sacrifice lands is a feelbad, moved to 9 on the storm scale.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'll be surprised if we don't get enemy fetches, full-art basics, and the return of Landfall (hopefully better balanaced for Limited this time) in Zendikar 2.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Spiderdrake posted:

Sorry having to sacrifice lands is a feelbad, moved to 9 on the storm scale.

Even physical cards aren't sacred cows. Perhaps with time, magicians will learn the real magic was inside them all along.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Entropic posted:

I'll be surprised if we don't get enemy fetches, full-art basics, and the return of Landfall (hopefully better balanaced for Limited this time) in Zendikar 2.

Landfall with all 10 Fetches in the format is pretty crazy. Crucible of Worlds reprint in Origins?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Balon posted:

Landfall with all 10 Fetches in the format is pretty crazy. Crucible of Worlds reprint in Origins?

They just can't print a bunch of cheap creatures that get +2/+2 from landfall like they did last time.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah you say that until someone show and tells the new emrakul into play and it's 20/20 haste, pro everything, annihlator 10, can't be blocked, flying, indestructable, you don't have to sac permanents.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Yeah you say that until someone show and tells the new emrakul into play and it's 20/20 haste, pro everything, annihlator 10, can't be blocked, flying, indestructable, you don't have to sac permanents.

Can only be special summoned by sacrificing 4 Eldrazi creatures.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Mythic Rare Eldrazis that cost a million mana are going to have text that says "you pretty much win the game if you resolve this" no matter what. The exact wording and what abilities they use in doing it is fairly academic.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I mostly think the Eldrazi creature cards are really stupid. I don't think Annihilator is all of that but by god it doesn't help.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I play with Karakas, actually. Dunno how you it can get pro everything but FOW is also p cool.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Entropic posted:

They just can't print a bunch of cheap creatures that get +2/+2 from landfall like they did last time.

As long as they don't swing too far in the opposite direction making it no longer synergistic with multiple land drops. I think they'll do that for a cycle but as long as they don't do it for all landfall triggers.

I don't want to see all instances be "Landfall - this creature gains trample until end of turn".

Also looking for a Hedron Crab reprint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account
Cards I would like to see reprinted Channel, Ashnods Altar, Fireball, Disintegrate, and Lightning Bolt. And not for the Channelball effect but Channel + Emrakul. Or maybe that's just broken.

• Locked thread