Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Effectronica posted:

Orphan drugs are probably the quintessential example. Paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria, which affects between 7000-14000 people per year, is treated with Soliris, which costs over $400,000 a year to administer, and bone marrow transplants, which are risky. Both are limited in effectiveness, as well. The majority of people with the disease cannot access treatment, and it has a high fatality rate. People die every year because of this.

Fair point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
That kid had a lot of pictures of himself holding a gun. Was it his parent's gun? You can't own a handgun before you're 18, right?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

tumblr.txt posted:

If I am ever in the (terrible) situation where multiple people are dying, and I can only save one, you bet I'm going to apply my judgement.

please dont' just save the white people tia

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

boom boom boom posted:

That kid had a lot of pictures of himself holding a gun. Was it his parent's gun? You can't own a handgun before you're 18, right?
How is a vulnerable teen supposed to defend himself from old ladies and telephone poles without a gun?

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

These photos are Chappelle's Show quality.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

Volkerball posted:

Seems like one of those situations where activists jumped the gun. You'll see it in basically any decentralized movement against a real injustice that can spark grassroots outcry at any time, and activists for black rights are no exception. Similar to how Michael Brown became the figurehead for abuses by police against black men, despite Brown being custom-tailored for every racist argument to have some weight relative to someone like Kenneth Chamberlain, where there's no argument to be made. It's an important fight, but you have to pick your battles, and Stokes was a bad cross to die on. It's probably going to come back to bite the overall cause now.

There will ALWAYS be an argument to be made no matter what. If Ken Chamberlain had gotten as much press as Mike Brown did, there'd be just as many racists yelling about how it was a good shoot because he was being violent and threatening.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

Besides, this kid got more QALY out of his heart than Steve Jobs did out of his bought-and-paid-for pancreas and probably was also more med-complient.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

BigBoss posted:

These photos are Chappelle's Show quality.

Seriously. Arguments about the appropriateness of giving this kid a heart aside that's a pretty funny burn on the part of the news anchor that responded.

Shame the kid couldn't turn his life around though. Fifteen is early enough that nothing's really set in stone.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 4, 2015

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Lyesh posted:

There will ALWAYS be an argument to be made no matter what. If Ken Chamberlain had gotten as much press as Mike Brown did, there'd be just as many racists yelling about how it was a good shoot because he was being violent and threatening.

Yes, but when you see that argument about Chamberlain, who had a bullet pass through his arm into his body, showing his arms were at his sides, and audio of police calling him a friend of the family, a lot more people would be like "uhhhhh"

Badera
Jan 30, 2012

Student Brian Boyko has lost faith in America.
D&D is left wing

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
When you really think about it, should deliquent thug youth get to keep their hearts?

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

SedanChair posted:

When you really think about it, should deliquent thug youth get to keep their hearts?
The criminal justice system is basically already an incredibly long and expensive death sentence for black youth so when you think about it just taking their healthy organs after the first felony would be a mercy for them and save some sick person less likely to be viciously persecuted by the state.

Win/win.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
I'm enjoying how the D&D radicals are unironically complaining about trained medical experts for implementing federally mandated, racially- and fiscally-blind queue systems, which they are effectively labeling death panels. Instead they seem to be supporting religious organizations using their political weight to instill favoritism. You know, because that's so progressive rather than just being politically expedient for this one kid. :hurr:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Kaal posted:

I'm enjoying how the D&D radicals are unironically complaining about trained medical experts for implementing federally mandated, racially- and fiscally-blind queue systems, which they are effectively labeling death panels. Instead they seem to be supporting religious organizations using their political weight to instill favoritism. You know, because that's so progressive rather than just being politically expedient for this one kid. :hurr:

I'm enjoying how the D&D reactionaries are trying every argument under the sun as to why it's a moral harm to give organ transplants to black teens when there are so many deserving white people.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Popular Thug Drink posted:

I'm enjoying how the D&D reactionaries are trying every argument under the sun as to why it's a moral harm to give organ transplants to black teens when there are so many deserving white people.

Maybe race isn't a consideration for everyone here.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Rent-A-Cop posted:

The criminal justice system is basically already an incredibly long and expensive death sentence for black youth so when you think about it just taking their healthy organs after the first felony would be a mercy for them and save some sick person less likely to be viciously persecuted by the state.

Win/win.

That's an incredibly hosed up thing to say.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

TheImmigrant posted:

Maybe race isn't a consideration for everyone here.

No he's just an idiot living in a constructed world. It's already been made pretty clear that if Stokes hadn't gotten the heart transplant it would have gone to another person in the Atlanta area, which statistically would have been another young black person - only one without a religious organization to use their political weight to push them to the top of the transplant list.

There's already a good national system for organizing transplantation candidates that is overseen by dedicated professionals. Liberals should be supporting it as a classic example of American technocratic progressivism, rather than joining the conservatives in making up stories about death panels and encouraging nepotism.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 5, 2015

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Win/win.

you must be fun at parties

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

If only we could go back in time and eliminate all mentions of race from the initial articles about the transplant denial and the articles about his death and then see if we get any responses more polarizing than "it's a difficult and tragic situation all around."

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

If only we could go back in time and eliminate all mentions of race from the initial articles about the transplant denial and the articles about his death and then see if we get any responses more polarizing than "it's a difficult and tragic situation all around."

I think that the key thing to consider is that if Stokes had been a troubled white kid using his church connections to get pushed to the top of the heart transplantation list, ahead of a bunch of black kids, then people would have not been nearly as willing to join his bandwagon. But when a black kid does the exact same thing, vaulting over the heads of a bunch of black kids, suddenly it became about getting a run in for the home team regardless of the cost. So clearly race played a pretty significant element in how the story played out in the media. I don't mind a little political theatre, but it's a pity that the system got undermined, a heart got wasted, and some innocent kid had to die for it.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 5, 2015

Amos Moses
Oct 13, 2012

by Ralp

Do the transplant and ignore all the facts or we'll label you a racist.

You don't want to be called a bigot do you? You're racist aren't you. Wait until Twitter hears about this.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

Kaal posted:

Well, the public pressure brought to light the fact that the primary medical reason for the decision (his record of compliance with doctors' orders) was incorrect.

Is your problem here with public oversight and criticism of technocratic institutions? You seem to be attributing that position to the political left, incorrectly.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kaal posted:

I think that the key thing to consider is that if Stokes had been a troubled white kid using his church connections to get pushed to the top of the heart transplantation list, ahead of a bunch of black kids, then people would have not been nearly as willing to join his bandwagon.

So you're admitting you're just making things up now.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Hodgepodge posted:

Well, the public pressure brought to light the fact that the primary medical reason for the decision (his record of compliance with doctors' orders) was incorrect.

[Citation Needed] And good luck because all that information is tied up under the HIPAA Act until 50 years after his death.

Parents complaining to their church leaders who then lean on doctors to make medical decisions is not the kind of "public oversight" that this country needs. Theocratic favoritism is not a progressive ideal, even when the immediate outcome means a troubled black kid gets what he needs.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 5, 2015

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Man, he really had a thing for selfies with guns and stupid hats.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

Kaal posted:

[Citation Needed] And good luck because all that information is tied up under the HIPAA Act until 50 years after his death.

Parents complaining to their church leaders who then lean on doctors to make medical decisions is not the kind of "public oversight" that this country needs. Theocratic nepotism is not a progressive ideal, even when the immediate outcome means a troubled black kid gets a favor.

Several reasons have been given for the decision; only one medical. Although some digging reveals that the decision was made on the basis of non-compliance with the legal system, not with doctors' orders. So the doctor made a call based not on medical facts, but on his personal assessment of the social worth of this patients' life. That should not be something anyone is comfortable with a doctor making, especially someone with progressive ideals.

Many public organizations are religious, and within the black community many of the most prominent and accessible sources of advocacy are religious. Are you saying that an institution should be automatically disqualified from public discourse because it is religious?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Strudel Man posted:

Man, he really had a thing for selfies with guns and stupid hats.

Hey that's just bigotry, he had selfies without stupid hats:

Amos Moses
Oct 13, 2012

by Ralp
Transplants should not be open to public discourse. The first decision was the right decision.

Something as expensive and in such short supply should have factors like criminal history and societal worth take into it.
The fact that this surgery happened and a heart was wasted should be more than enough to convince you that outside sources should not have impact on these kind of decisions.

Now spout some stupid SJW bullshit at me.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Hodgepodge posted:

Several reasons have been given for the decision; only one medical. Although some digging reveals that the decision was made on the basis of non-compliance with the legal system, not with doctors' orders. So the doctor made a call based not on medical facts, but on his personal assessment of the social worth of this patients' life. That should not be something anyone is comfortable with a doctor making, especially someone with progressive ideals.

Again, [Citation Needed]. Unless you're just quoting the parents, who made that accusation to attract the media but never substantiated it in any way.

quote:

Many public organizations are religious, and within the black community many of the most prominent and accessible sources of advocacy are religious. Are you saying that an institution should be automatically disqualified from public discourse because it is religious?

Are you seriously suggesting that religious organizations should be getting involved in medical policy? Should people start getting wealthy patrons to ensure they have access to medical care? Exactly how far back do you want to turn the clock on progressive ideals in your quest to defend this kid?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Amos Moses posted:

Transplants should not be open to public discourse. The first decision was the right decision.

Something as expensive and in such short supply should have factors like criminal history and societal worth take into it.
The fact that this surgery happened and a heart was wasted should be more than enough to convince you that outside sources should not have impact on these kind of decisions.

Now spout some stupid SJW bullshit at me.

Okay. So how do you define societal worth?

Because you're opening a whole can of worms there. You want to see a shitstorm? Try the sort of bullshit justifications you'd get when trying to decide whether someone is worth more than someone else because of the cash they pull in or job they hold.

And that's assuming some sort of mythical society where you don't get bias thrown into the picture in some way. I mean, gently caress, a good chunk of the country can't seem to agree with the rest of the country that gay people deserve equal rights. Do you really think that would go over that well in a society like ours?

There's a reason why these panels aren't supposed to take some sort of theoretical worth into account. You're just asking for trouble and a host of tragedies.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 5, 2015

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kaal posted:

Hey that's just bigotry, he had selfies without stupid hats:

Wow those photos really frighten you huh?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Kaal posted:

I think that the key thing to consider is that if Stokes had been a troubled white kid using his church connections to get pushed to the top of the heart transplantation list, ahead of a bunch of black kids, then people would have not been nearly as willing to join his bandwagon. But when a black kid does the exact same thing, vaulting over the heads of a bunch of black kids, suddenly it became about getting a run in for the home team regardless of the cost. So clearly race played a pretty significant element in how the story played out in the media. I don't mind a little political theatre, but it's a pity that the system got undermined, a heart got wasted, and some innocent kid had to die for it.

Shucks, those team-minded blacks. If only they would stop just looking out for the home team, and not "see" race.

e: It is genuinely hilarious how people want to go back in time and take this kid's heart away because he committed a crime. And how the exact same crowd is posting the exact same pictures that they would if he had been shot by the police. Let's start an Otis Byrd thread so we can post menacing pictures of him as well.

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Apr 5, 2015

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

He was good kid, gettin his life back together, going back to school. Trying to shoot grandma, that was just a mistake, hes a good kid, he goes to church!

Hodgepodge posted:

Who should make it if not a doctor (I think it was some kind of medical board in this case)? They're the ones charged with responsibility here, and someone has to make the call. And in this case overriding the doctor's decision meant this piece of garbage took a heart that should have gone to someone worthwhile.

Amos Moses
Oct 13, 2012

by Ralp

VitalSigns posted:

Someone posing with a mouth full of cash and pointing a gun in a manner meant to threaten? Glamorizing the criminal lifestyle?

Those pictures frighten me sure. One of those gangbanger pieces of poo poo could shoot someone I care about.

I'm sure he was a good boy though.

Make a loving hashtag about it.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Archonex posted:

Okay. So how do you define societal worth?

*meaningfully glances at paper bag*

Amos Moses posted:

Someone posing with a mouth full of cash and pointing a gun in a manner meant to threaten? Glamorizing the criminal lifestyle?

Those pictures frighten me sure. One of those gangbanger pieces of poo poo could shoot someone I care about.

I'm sure he was a good boy though.

Make a loving hashtag about it.

So are you always this much of a coward, or just when you're whining on the internet?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

VitalSigns posted:

Lol you are so out of touch with the 21st century. These photos are just some idiot kid trying to impress his buddies. But it's hilarious that he apparently didn't take any other kind of photo.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
"I'm scared of black people, and I blame SJWs for this" -A Literal Retard

Amos Moses
Oct 13, 2012

by Ralp

Popular Thug Drink posted:

*meaningfully glances at paper bag*

So are you always this much of a coward, or just when you're whining on the internet?

Keep on keepin' on SJWs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Amos Moses posted:

Do you have any evidence that this kid was in a gang? Why would his crime spree prompt you to conclude he was in a gang?

• Locked thread