Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Sir Tonk posted:

Anyone want to do a V8 swap? If I didn't already have a 265 sitting in the garage, I'd probably pick this one up. It even comes with the best wheels and the diesel should give it the better front suspension than the four cylinder.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-240-DL-/251901381950

Man I love that front end, although having hood pins on a diesel Volvo is probably the best part.

Are those prancing moose center caps I spy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Ignoring the date on the ad, look at this near flawless Datsun for sale:

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/4888450315.html

I wonder if it would come with hideous pants.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Sir Tonk posted:

Anyone want to do a V8 swap? If I didn't already have a 265 sitting in the garage, I'd probably pick this one up. It even comes with the best wheels and the diesel should give it the better front suspension than the four cylinder.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-240-DL-/251901381950

Man I love that front end, although having hood pins on a diesel Volvo is probably the best part.

I'd buy that if it was close to Arizona, no joke.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

BlackMK4 posted:

I'd buy that if it was close to Arizona, no joke.

"Be aware, this will be a project so as a disclaimer let me assure you there is most likely something wrong or not quite right with every component comprising this vehicle."

This guy is all right by me.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

SperginMcBadposter posted:

I always flag those fuckers who set their poo poo at $1. If it wouldn't have shown up in my search results at the real price it means I'm not interested in buying it shitlord. :argh:

I've been looking for a tacoma and the ads are so bad that it only take one flag to bring the listing down. poo poo ad? BAM. Justice served. It is only satisfying the first 1000 times.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Friar Zucchini posted:

http://augusta.craigslist.org/cto/4944236132.html

Rebuilt title and the hood doesn't line up. :negative: I wanted it so bad

I've got an 89 DPS Mustang, correct wheels and all. I'll be selling it in a year or so, if you want one that bad. It won't have a motor or trans, but the interior is amazing! It somehow started, after sitting in the back for a few years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFZ6oOlZ_2Q

They're nothing special, though. Just had two different parts on the engine and they didn't make it go faster, although that '85 was carb'd so it might've been different. Most fun part of driving one is that noone on the freeway ever passes you. It's uncanny.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 4, 2015

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Real gold?

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/4960496465.html

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
that year dropped the double wishbone suspension that made old civics handle, its like 2800 lbs and the motor is a boat anchor.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Uh no timing chain should be "lifetime" 150k plus on those motors. Motor's shot. But, you can swap a K24 into that for some HUGE TORKS.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

lol no. If it were running, maybe.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Yeah. Timing chains cost only $100. Easy fix. :suicide:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/ctd/4961673678.html

Aside from being a 185k mile mid-90s Volvo wagon, in one of the sketchiest used car lots I know, in a bad part of town, it doesn't look like a bad deal assuming there's nothing particularly major wrong with it. It's been amusing watching the ads relist every couple days for a while now though.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/4963120130.html

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 5, 2015

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Is craigslist not as adamant about pulling down multiple ads as they used to be? I swear that never seemed to happen a few years ago. Sure would clean up my searches.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

Sir Tonk posted:

Is craigslist not as adamant about pulling down multiple ads as they used to be? I swear that never seemed to happen a few years ago. Sure would clean up my searches.

I was wondering the same thing. I never used to see half a dozen of the exact same ads in the same cities...

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
flag them and then wait for them to go away

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Another favorite of mine is people who put unintelligible garbage in the location field which defaults to 0,0 which is coordinates off the coast of Africa in the Atlantic Ocean.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Been looking at Wranglers lately, it seems like every year the prices get more retarded, and it's close to impossible to find a completely stock YJ or TJ anymore. Guess I'm not gonna own a Wrangler any time soon :(

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Wish I was in the market for another car because that hits all the right beater buttons.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I'd be all over that e46 wagon if it were closer to me.

it couldn't be any worse than this stupid loving wrx I currently drive.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

leica posted:

Been looking at Wranglers lately, it seems like every year the prices get more retarded, and it's close to impossible to find a completely stock YJ or TJ anymore. Guess I'm not gonna own a Wrangler any time soon :(

Welcome to what I like to call "the >1999 MY Subaru market." Part of the initiation into this exclusive club requires you to set up no less than four different CL notifier rules through no less than two different CL scraping websites, and checking those emails the moment you wake up, and right before you go to sleep.

Seriously, why are Subaru Bajas so expensive? Theyr'e the ugly ones!

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Perceived rarity.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

BraveUlysses posted:

I'd be all over that e46 wagon if it were closer to me.

it couldn't be any worse than this stupid loving wrx I currently drive.

Why the hate for the wrx? I almost bought a Saab 92-X Aero today. If it had had a sunroof it would have been in my driveway.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I need another vehicle like i need a hole in the head, but if I didn't just buy a house I'd probably be buying that car.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

opengl128 posted:

I need another vehicle like i need a hole in the head, but if I didn't just buy a house I'd probably be buying that car.

I'm more or less in the same boat except I bought anesthesia school instead of a house. And I'm still tempted to drive across the state to drag it home.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I want it for my girlfriend :(

blk
Dec 19, 2009

ThirstyBuck posted:

I'm more or less in the same boat except I bought anesthesia school instead of a house.

Don't regret that for a second.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

blk posted:

Right? You can buy a few here soon enough man. :)

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

blk posted:

Heh, we just spent last Friday hanging out with my wife's friend who recently left her neurosurgery residency to become an anesthesiologist so she didn't have to constantly work 12 hour days all the time. If that's about what she's making now, I wonder just how obscene her income was before.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

ThirstyBuck posted:

I'm more or less in the same boat except I bought anesthesia school instead of a house. And I'm still tempted to drive across the state to drag it home.

I'm like two hours away and seriously considering it as well, but I had to pay back my First-Time Homebuyer's "Loan" in full this year since I moved to a new house, so there goes my fun car money for the next six months...

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I saw a CL ad for a BMW stating the car was "doctor driven". I guess that's good?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Gorson posted:

I saw a CL ad for a BMW stating the car was "doctor driven". I guess that's good?

The paint will be poo poo, as well as scraped and dinged. Pretty sure the off lease I bought was "doctor driven", given how neurotic the guy was about options and ordering history. I got a decent deal because the paint is awful.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Yeah that's almost as bad as "mechanic owned"

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

blk posted:

FTFY

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Apr 7, 2015

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Gorson posted:

After the way I see how small to medium practices operate their networks I'd think about that long and hard.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Mr-Spain posted:

After the way I see how small to medium practices operate their networks I'd think about that long and hard.

I'm in IT and we have a few doctor and dentist clients. I wouldn't let them fill my car with gas. I'm sure there are exceptions.

Oops, it is "doctor owned":

Alarbus posted:

The paint will be poo poo, as well as scraped and dinged. Pretty sure the off lease I bought was "doctor driven", given how neurotic the guy was about options and ordering history. I got a decent deal because the paint is awful.

It's funny you mention options because I am guessing there aren't a lot of Coral Red interiored BMW's on dealer lots, he had to special order that. Also: BMW branded tire cozies!

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
The seller is of a higher socioeconomic status than you so therefore he must be better at you than everything including taking care of cars right?

Really though, I wouldn't buy a 3 series from the CEO of BMW himself, because you know he has better things to do than worry about the condition of his 3 series. A real selling point would be "owned by a poor that saved up to buy this and values it more than his children".

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Sir Tonk posted:

Yeah that's almost as bad as "mechanic owned"

Let me guess: someone who knows the exact minimum required to keep a car on the road, right?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

The cobbler's children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I read an amusing story a while back about how a doctor took BMW to the supreme court over $600.

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/the-king-of-all-bmw-owners-1688628187

quote:

Let me tell you the story of the greatest BMW owner of all time, Dr. Ira Gore. He loved his black BMW so deeply that he sued its maker and won a $4 million jury award because it had $601.37 of paint repair before he bought it. He fought all the way to the US Supreme Court, cementing his claim as King of all BMW owners.

Dr. Gore dropped $40,750.88 on a "black BMW sports sedan" at a BMW dealer in Birmingham, Alabama, in January 1990. In the fall of that year he brought it to a detailing shop named "Slick Finish," run by a guy whose last name was Slick. Seriously. Gore later testifed his intent was to get his BMW to look "snazzier."

I assume BMW owners are now nodding along in agreement.

Mr. Slick told Gore that his black beauty had seen a little paintwork. Gore had never had the car repainted; it must have been repainted prior to delivery. Gore soon discovered that BMW had a policy of not disclosing predelivery repairs if they cost less than 3 percent of the MSRP. According to BMW, the repairs to Gore's car only cost $601.37, below the threshold for disclosure under their guidelines.

They told Gore that they had done this with other cars – 14 in Alabama and a total of 983 across all of America. Gore had found his calling. He would sue BMW not only for his financial damages – which he pegged at a little over $4,000 – but for punitive damages totaling $4 million based on the widespread harm to all the other BMW owners in his situation. An Alabama jury agreed with Gore, and handed him a verdict of more than $4 million. Presumably, a light shone down from heaven and a host of angels sang as Gore was elevated from merely a man who wanted a snazzier BMW to the Monarch of ALL BMW Owners.

Some people paused and wondered: "Was it fair to award this man enough money to buy 98 more BMWs because of an undisclosed paint repair of only $601.37?"

Part of the grumbling arose because Gore did not seek to have the $4,000 per car penalty distributed to his subjects – I mean, the owners of the other cars with the undisclosed repairs – he intended to keep it. That would be his way of teaching BMW a lesson. And that is, after all, rule #1 of being King: You govern your subjects by keeping their stuff.

While the commoners whispered, BMW appealed. The Alabama Supreme Court looked at his Highness, King Gore, and reduced the jury award by half. According to them, he was still the exalted ruler of the realm where BMW owners reside, but his riches would only be enough to buy perhaps 49 new BMWs – or, $2,000,000. A small setback but nothing more for the King. Then, BMW appealed that ruling to the US Supreme Court.

To appreciate this epic battle, one must realize how few cases are heard by the Supreme Court, notwithstanding the number of times a shirtless meth-head has yelled at a "Cops" camera, "I'm going to take this to the Supreme Court!" Of the 10,000 cases submitted to them each year, they usually take no more than 80. They took BMW v Gore.

Meanwhile, the case gathered media attention. Not all of it was negative. The New York Times called BMW's actions in the matter "unsavory."

BMW's $2 Million Paint Job
At first glance, the case of Dr. Ira Gore Jr. and his black BMW, argued on Wednesday in the Supreme …
Read more nytimes.​com
Gore's fortunes would reverse at the Supreme Court. The court noted that BMW had since changed its policy regarding predelivery damage. BMW - after losing this case and one other on the exact same issue - had gone to a nationwide policy of full disclosure of all repairs, "no matter how minor." And BMW argued to the court that they were under no legal obligation to disclose. In fact, many states had even adopted statutes protecting car sellers for nondisclosure of damages of this sort.

The Supreme Court skipped over most of that however, and instead focused on the size of the punitive damage award. Gore must have known the enemy was at the gates of his kingdom when the court noted that BMW's conduct only harmed him in a "purely economic" way. His car ran fine and still looked snazzy. The most he could say was that it was devalued a bit. It was sacrilege but sometimes even the King gets bad news.

The court ruled against Gore and sent the case back to Alabama for its courts to recalculate the proper award. The Alabama Supreme Court was not pleased but played along. They offered Gore a choice: He could have a new trial - where the jury would have to follow new guidelines when calculating damages - or a judgment of $50,000. Instead of the money to buy a fleet of BMWs, he'd get enough money to buy just one. He'd have a little money left over for a few trips to Mr. Slick. This is the last we heard of the case so presumably he took the money.

Despite the setback, Ira Gore is still the greatest BMW owner of all time. The Alabama Supreme Court ruling which ended his case was issued in 1997, meaning he fought this battle for seven years. And, of course, BMW owners today nod slowly, wistfully, remembering the brief time when an imperceptible blemish on their BMW might be worth $4,000,000. And that time frame when BMW would disclose any predelivery damage to a buyer, no matter how slight.

You see, BMW and the other car companies did not take this learning opportunity to reassess how they did business. Instead, they ran to the state legislatures and got more laws passed expressly allowing them to conceal predelivery repairs like those done to Gore's BMW. BMW's earlier policy of nondisclosure became the law of the land, as noted by various legal thinkers and writers.

But BMW owners across the land should revere Dr. Ira Gore, who merely wanted a flawless BMW, nothing more than any BMW buyer would expect. If not just a little bit snazzier.