Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
What is your budget?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
does anybody have any experience recovering files from a Synology Diskstation?

I'm currently in a state of panic because for some reason my Photo share w/ my past decade or so of raw photos (minus a backup to an external drive from maybe two years ago) seems to be mostly empty.

I just fired up lightroom to edit some photos and realized that all of my folders are marked as missing... went and checked the folder and I seem to have nothing in the Photo share save for the things I just imported like 10 minutes ago.

The only thing I can figure might have happened is that I installed BitTorrent Sync on my laptop a few days ago and was playing around with figuring out the best way to sync the raw photos from my laptop to my Photo share folder. To the best of my knowledge I tried to add the Photos share folder as a destination but wasn't able to connect to my diskstation on my laptop.

I think I'm going to puke if I can't figure out where these went.

I seriously can't imagine the thought of several years worth of photos being gone. I was planning on figuring out how to sync my photos from the diskstation off to an external USB3 drive which is part of the reason I installed BitTorrent Sync but was planning on waiting until I moved in a month so I could sort out my new network configuration before trying to figure this out.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
While I'm sure most everyone here has seen it in one way or other, Amazon is now offering $60/yr unlimited cloud storage: https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/home The desktop application has some mixed reviews, but it might be something to explore for people who have a poo poo ton of stuff they'd like backed up off-site.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

For what it's worth, there's a 2GB-per-file limit, so it will be less useful for backing up large videos.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Isn't crashplan basically the same price can can run on a synology?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

MMD3 posted:

I'm currently in a state of panic because for some reason my Photo share w/ my past decade or so of raw photos (minus a backup to an external drive from maybe two years ago) seems to be mostly empty.

I just fired up lightroom to edit some photos and realized that all of my folders are marked as missing... went and checked the folder and I seem to have nothing in the Photo share save for the things I just imported like 10 minutes ago.

The only thing I can figure might have happened is that I installed BitTorrent Sync on my laptop a few days ago and was playing around with figuring out the best way to sync the raw photos from my laptop to my Photo share folder. To the best of my knowledge I tried to add the Photos share folder as a destination but wasn't able to connect to my diskstation on my laptop.

I seriously can't imagine the thought of several years worth of photos being gone. I was planning on figuring out how to sync my photos from the diskstation off to an external USB3 drive which is part of the reason I installed BitTorrent Sync but was planning on waiting until I moved in a month so I could sort out my new network configuration before trying to figure this out.

SSH into it and see if the data is there.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

For what it's worth, there's a 2GB-per-file limit, so it will be less useful for backing up large videos.

This seems to only be a limit when using non-desktop applications, but I haven't tried it out myself.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

What is your budget?

Its not that there is a budget, I'm just trying to not overspend on something that's unnecessary for me. I'm already going to be paying £240 for hard drive and power line kit.

Forgot to mention I'd like to be able to remote in and listen to the music on it and possibly watch movies/TV shows when I'm at someone else's or at work

uhhhhahhhhohahhh fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Mar 27, 2015

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

MMD3 posted:

Sync shouldn't delete files unless they're deleted on the source also, I would check out Diskstation itself and run the disk test in DSM. If all fails you could try mounting the disks in another machine too, I suggest making a clone of the drives before you go any further. You can try Synology support as well, they are apparently pretty decent about remoting in to help people.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

The Gunslinger posted:

Sync shouldn't delete files unless they're deleted on the source also, I would check out Diskstation itself and run the disk test in DSM. If all fails you could try mounting the disks in another machine too, I suggest making a clone of the drives before you go any further. You can try Synology support as well, they are apparently pretty decent about remoting in to help people.

I contacted Synology support and they had me create a ticket, they said it can take up to 24 hours for a response so I may be waiting until Monday unfortunately... I think I am just going to play it safe and not try to do anything on the drive until I've talked to them and they've had a chance to take a look at the logs and see if they can figure it out.

jaik3n
Sep 18, 2009
I didn't realize there was a NAS megathread so I'm migrating my post over here from the PC building thread

---------

What's a good NAS solution?

I'd like to have at least 2 3TB(wd reds I have) running in it, and would like to be able to expand that up to 4.

I'm not sure how I'd like to raid it, I know 0 is the fastest, but the most failure prone. I'd like to have a balance between speed and redundancy.

Ideally i'd like to spend < $300 for the enclosure

I work with video so speed transfer is as important to me as redundancy.

I found this:
http://www.amazon.com/Cloud-EX4-Diskless-High-performance-reliability/dp/B00G4JZ2T0/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1427592171&sr=8-5&keywords=NAS
as well as
http://www.amazon.com/QNAP-TS-431-Personal-Mobile-Support/dp/B00O3Y7E2G/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1427592171&sr=8-6&keywords=NAS

this is a 2 bay I found for $55
http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Diskless-Network-Storage-70A69003NA/dp/B00DW1UNS8/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1427561551&sr=1-2&keywords=NAS

Any thoughts / suggestions?

edit: fixed URL links

jaik3n fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 29, 2015

Titor
Aug 26, 2014
I'm considering adding a 2nd Western Digital Red 2TB for a RAID 1 configuration but I need a RAID controller. How much should I expect to spend and what card would be recommended for this simple setup? I'm based in the UK.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Titor posted:

I'm considering adding a 2nd Western Digital Red 2TB for a RAID 1 configuration but I need a RAID controller. How much should I expect to spend and what card would be recommended for this simple setup? I'm based in the UK.

What does the rest of your system look like? You probably don't need/want a dedicated RAID controller for just mirroring a drive.

So long as you have an empty SATA port on your motherboard you would probably be better served going with a software solution.

Titor
Aug 26, 2014

Krailor posted:

What does the rest of your system look like? You probably don't need/want a dedicated RAID controller for just mirroring a drive.

So long as you have an empty SATA port on your motherboard you would probably be better served going with a software solution.

From what I've read so far it's not as reliable for data integrity compared to a hardware implemented solution (I may be wrong though). Currently I'm using a Asus Z87-A motherboard with an SSD boot drive and 2TB WDRED for bulk storage.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Titor posted:

From what I've read so far it's not as reliable for data integrity compared to a hardware implemented solution (I may be wrong though). Currently I'm using a Asus Z87-A motherboard with an SSD boot drive and 2TB WDRED for bulk storage.

Simple mirroring on built in raid is fine. It's stuff like Raid-5/6 that you want to avoid on motherboard chipsets.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
Taco Defender

Titor posted:

This isn't really true anymore; software RAID can be just as reliable as HW RAID and for the small drive pools that most home users have is easier to manage and has one less point of failure (RAID Card). Also, most RAID solutions require blank drives to start with so you'd have to figure out somewhere else to put the data currently on your drive in order to create the RAID array.

However, let's take a step back. What's your end goal?

Remember, RAID is only really useful to maintain system up-time in the event of a disk failure.

If you really just want the data that's currently on your drive to be backed up so that you won't lose it in the event of a drive failure then I'd suggest you look at backup solutions instead of RAID ones.

However, for just a simple mirror windows should have support built in (the same thing should also work in 8.1).

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/17926/use-drive-mirroring-for-instant-backup-in-windows-7/

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Hardware RAID still makes sense to setup in many systems where you'd rather just not give a drat about provisioning an OS in a weird chicken-egg scenario, you have a very specific set of tasks for the lifetime of the machine needing it, and it's also handy if your machine is meant to be a highly-utilized compute or cache server and you want all the memory and CPU you can get in that box and software RAID robs it of resources (ZFS ARC does take some non-insignificant RAM after all). However, instead of being a fairly hard requirement like it was a couple decades ago in most machines, hardware RAID could be thought of more like SSL accelerator cards are today. When building systems at mass scale, you don't even see "disk 1 down in node x" you see something like "IOPS dropping in cluster X due to increased transaction latency in top 99.5% slow IOs" and when you have dozens and dozens of disks constantly dying, you probably want to have some extra use for the machine instead of completely dropping it from a cluster for low performance.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Trying to decide what NAS setup to go with without spending too much.

Don't need a ton of space, a single 4TB drive will be fine for now and I'll have 2 backups of everything important: music and main system image. It's mainly going to feed a Rasperrry Pi 2 running OpenElec and potentially another one or something like a WD TV Live plus a XboxOne or Smart TV. It needs to be able run NZBGet and NZBDrone too. Preferably something low power and quiet too. Is one of the pre-made ones from Synology/QNAP/Asustor going to be my best bet? I'm not against building my own I don't think it's possible to build one as cheap and low powered... Will something like a Synology DS215j (or QNAP/Asustor equivalent) be enough or will something stronger be needed? (DS214?)

Also trying to put it in another room, but it's away from the router. Is it a dumb idea to put it behind something like http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=NW-020-DV&groupid=46&catid=1604&subcat=2879 ? It will be on the same floor.

Don Lapre posted:

What is your budget?

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Trying to decide what NAS setup to go with without spending too much.

Don't need a ton of space, a single 4TB drive will be fine for now and I'll have 2 backups of everything important: music and main system image. It's mainly going to feed a Rasperrry Pi 2 running OpenElec and potentially another one or something like a WD TV Live plus a XboxOne or Smart TV. It needs to be able run NZBGet and NZBDrone too. Preferably something low power and quiet too. Is one of the pre-made ones from Synology/QNAP/Asustor going to be my best bet? I'm not against building my own I don't think it's possible to build one as cheap and low powered... Will something like a Synology DS215j (or QNAP/Asustor equivalent) be enough or will something stronger be needed? (DS214?)

Also trying to put it in another room, but it's away from the router. Is it a dumb idea to put it behind something like http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=NW-020-DV&groupid=46&catid=1604&subcat=2879 ? It will be on the same floor.

I can get a gen8 HP Microserver for £150. It's going to be more powerful than any equally priced NAS box from Synology/QNAP/Asustor. I'll probably put Xpenology on it so I can access music and other bits remotely and it should make setting up NZBGet & NZBDrone easier. Still only going to stick a single 4TB drive in it for now. Just have to hope these powerline adapters don't suck. The cashback deal ends March 31st though so I have to make a decision very soon.

As an aside... Could a Raspberry Pi 2 be used as a simple NAS with FreeNAS/Xpenology attached to a single 4TB WD Red in an external enclosure if you don't really need RAID or anything else complicated? I just got one for use with OpenElec and it's on 24/7 anyway, I wonder if it could be used instead or if it's just not powerful enough?

uhhhhahhhhohahhh fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 31, 2015

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
Taco Defender

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

As an aside... Could a Raspberry Pi 2 be used as a simple NAS with FreeNAS/Xpenology attached to a single 4TB WD Red in an external enclosure if you don't really need RAID or anything else complicated? I just got one for use with OpenElec and it's on 24/7 anyway, I wonder if it could be used instead or if it's just not powerful enough?

Short answer: Not really

TLDR:
The big issue with RP2 is that it's an ARM chip which limits what software it can run. I'm not sure about FreeNAS but i know that Xpenology is X86/64 only so it won't run on a Pi. Technically you could install some version of Linux for ARM and manually install most of the programs you need. You probably don't want to do this though because all of the I/O on the Pi, including the network connection, is done through the USB bus so performance will be dog slow; especially if you have multiple things trying to stream a movie off of it at the same time.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
This is driving me up the loving wall, hopefully someone here has an insight or two:
I've got an LSI 9211-8i and an M1015 flashed to a 9211-8i, standard stuff (The guy that I bought it from had already flashed it).

I need to go and update both of them to the same firmware level, and put one of them in IT mode (It's in IR now) to use for FreeNAS.

So, great, the DOS based flash utility won't work and I need to use the EFI based tool. OK, I went ahead and loaded a USB stick with the P16 IT firmware and BIOS, the EFI flashing tool, and an EFI shell. In theory all I should need to do is go in to the motherboard's BIOS (An Asus Z97-A) and choose the boot EFI shell from USB device option. This is where the problem arises.

Trying to use that option claims that I can't do it because secure boot is enabled. So I go and change the secure boot settings from Windows to other OS, and delete the key store. Secure boot now shows as disabled in the boot section of the BIOS. But the loving EFI shell option still throws up an error message and refuses to boot from the EFI shell on the USB stick, claiming that Secure boot is still enabled. No amount of bios resets or other fuckery has succeeded in fixing this.

:negative:

e: HOLY gently caress IT WORKS SOMEHOW AFTER 800 REBOOTS THIS IS THE loving WORST.
I think I have about 6 coppies of the EFI shell named all sorts of poo poo on my USB stick, but I really have no idea what made it finally cooperate.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Mar 31, 2015

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
I'm having similar problems as you. Asus has a very specific filepath you must name the efi shell code to to load off of a USB stick.

WRT flashing the firmware, be glad you weren't like me and basically permanently hosed the BIOS by plugging in an M1115. The boot screen display is completely corrupted and it looks like the recovery BIOS measure Intel worked so hard on is not helping at all. Seems if I got a PLCC socket EPROM programmer I could recover it.... or I can just suck it up and buy a new motherboard. My $65 HBA wound up directly costing me $145 on a new, multi generation old motherboard. LGA1155 Sandy Bridge 4eva mothafuckas. I'm pretty sure that if it was an IBM or Lenovo server it'd be fine now. Oh well, upgraded from a C202 board to a C204, yeehaw I get SATA 3 onboard.

Edit: I'm trying to flash my M1115 off a Z97 board too, just mini ITX, whadya know.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I ended up putting a copy of the EFI shell named both bootx64.efi and shellx64.efi in the root of my flash drive, as well as in /boot/efi/(files) and /efi/boot/(files). I have no idea which one actually did the trick.

I also had to let the machine sit there for a while- (Maybe 10 ish minute? Not sure, I stopped paying attention to it) while it flipped between a screen of a flashing underscore cursor and an entirely blank monitor. Eventually the shell came up and the efi version of sas2flash worked totally fine. I had two controllers but did them separately with only one plugged in at a time because gently caress if I brick one after all the hassle just to get to flashing it in the first place. Freenas itself took all of 2 minutes to install after all was said and done.

Now I just have to figure out if there's any fan management tools in there or if Asus's Q-fan is it. Q-fan is actually really really good, but, it won't let you dial fans down as low as I'd like. I previously had a fan controller in this machine covering that duty, but I don't actually have enough molex connectors left to run it after slapping my latest round of drives in this chassis. All the backplanes use normal molexes so I have none of those left, but a whole load of empty SATA power connections!

Also god drat you hosed the actual MB bios with sas2flash? :stare:

I was so pissed at the stupid EFI crap earlier I just upgraded to this current board as well. This system was using an old Gigabyte H57 (Yea, no loving idea why I thought buying a gigabyte MB back in 2009 was a good idea) with an old Arrandale 2.9ghz quad.

I'm just mildly sad that there's nothing left with PCI-X around because I have four of these suckers from a server we just surplussed:

1.5 gig battery backed triple channel/redundant path PCI-X SAS controllers.

If I had a basement dungeon or didn't pay for my own electricity I could at least use the drives these guys powered, but they're a rack of 6 * 12 * 600 gig 15k rpm screamers and I may be a digital hoarder but I'm not quite that insane.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
No, I hosed a motherboard BIOS without even touching a boot setting. There's a graphical mode and screen output the IBM firmware loads that corrupted the Intel motherboard BIOS while it doesn't permanently damage the Asus BIOS. I see some weird flinching on my Asus too but it doesn't persist. I'll post a picture in a second. I'm not aware of anyone else on the planet that's had this problem but I'm going to ask Intel about it when I get off my rear end enough to care.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

I love you guys, so if I'm being an rear end in a top hat tell me. Didn't see a rule against it in the OP.

Got some data hoarding supplies for sale - Nearly new 4x 3TB Seagate NAS drives and a ProBox DAS enclosure.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3709390

<3

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Looking for some help on next steps. I have an old acer windows home server with three drives pooled for about 4tb. One of the drives I starting to fail, and since I moved to OS X I'm looking to replace the whole box.

I'm looking at a Lenovo thinkserver, and running freenas. Looking through posts I'm sort of intimidated but I figure I can give it a shot. It looks like there is a step for "importing a disk" in section 8 of the manual. Please let me know if I'm reading this right and if it could work:

The thinkserver has 3 bays- I get two 4tb Reds, and set up the two thumb drives to set up. With the open bay, I can import the data from each of the three disks currently in my whs to the new reds?

Lastly, I may not have read far enough but is there a way to mirror only certain data? Say if I have media I don't care about duplicating but I want to duplicate a time machine and photo folder. Is that possible?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Hey guys, instead of just running FreeNAS as the primary OS on a new box, how bad of an idea would it be to run Windows Server with FreeNAS in a VM, giving FreeNAS access to the raw storage drives for a RAIDZ array, for the added functionality of Windows Server so I can run things like PS3 Media Server, Plex, dedicated servers for games, etc?

Basically, I know that FreeNAS is fantastic for basically converting a computer with a bunch of hard drives into one giant network drive, but I'm afraid I won't be able to run all the services and other stuff I'd like to run.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 4, 2015

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

GreatGreen posted:

Hey guys, instead of just running FreeNAS as the primary OS on a new box, how bad of an idea would it be to run Windows Server with FreeNAS in a VM, giving FreeNAS access to the raw storage drives for a RAIDZ array, for the added functionality of Windows Server so I can run things like PS3 media server, plex, dedicated servers for games, etc?

Basically, I know that FreeNAS is fantastic for basically converting a computer with a bunch of hard drives into one giant network drive, but I'm afraid I won't be able to run all the services and other stuff I'd like to run.

Why not do the reverse and run Windows in a VM? That way, you don't have the risk of an additional layer of failure in your NAS OS reaching your drives.

FreeNAS 9.2.1.6 and newer support Virtualbox in a jail straight out of the box, so there's no real barrier to entry.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

G-Prime posted:

Why not do the reverse and run Windows in a VM? That way, you don't have the risk of an additional layer of failure in your NAS OS reaching your drives.

FreeNAS 9.2.1.6 and newer support Virtualbox in a jail straight out of the box, so there's no real barrier to entry.

Well that would be cool as hell, didn't know I could do that.

I know exactly zero about FreeNAS jails. Looks like I have more research to do. Thanks!

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 4, 2015

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

GreatGreen posted:

Well that would be cool as hell, didn't know I could do that.

I know exactly zero about FreeNAS jails. Looks like I have more research to do. Thanks!

Or run ESXi on your host, then have a freenas vm and pass your raid card through. You will still get smart data and whatnot.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Moey posted:

Or run ESXi on your host, then have a freenas vm and pass your raid card through. You will still get smart data and whatnot.

That's what I do as long as you can do the vt passthrough.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!

Moey posted:

This is my setup now as well. Working great and have had no issues. Ebay has some cheap IBM 1015 cards you can flash to just be a drive controller and use the raid in freenas. You only want to have a setup like this if your drive controller offers passthrough in ESXi.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I did FreeBSD in a HyperV VM as file server a while ago for an extended test. It works OK, but you need FreeBSD 10 to get the HyperV drivers. Latest FreeNAS is based on FreeBSD 9.3. While it'd work, disk and networking will be mediocre at best.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

GreatGreen posted:

Hey guys, instead of just running FreeNAS as the primary OS on a new box, how bad of an idea would it be to run Windows Server with FreeNAS in a VM, giving FreeNAS access to the raw storage drives for a RAIDZ array, for the added functionality of Windows Server so I can run things like PS3 Media Server, Plex, dedicated servers for games, etc?

If you're going to run windows server, why not just use storage spaces built in there? It's not really as robust/full featured as ZFS, but it's a hell of a lot less hassle to just deal with one OS. And you don't necessarily really need ZFS specific things for storing your home TV collection.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I have a few jails set up in freenas. Let's call them jail1 and jail2.

I have a bunch of drives set up, too:
4x drives in raidz2, let's call it pool1
2x drives in mirror, let's call it pool2.

I have both jails on pool1, and I would like to move them to pool2.

How would I do this in the best or least-bad way possible

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Folks can we talk about OpenMediaVault as a home server and nas? I've been running it for about a month, memory usage is tiny, low effort setup for aufs, easy nzbget+sonarr+couchpotato+deluge setup via plugins and Debian backend in case you want to install anything else (E. G. Xrdp and Crashplan). I've hooked up 6 drives for media, have crashplan doing local backups of photos to a different drive and offsite. And I've got my girlfriends Macbook Pro backing up to it via time machine.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I'm looking to upgrade my N40L with 5x2TB in raidz2. I'm eyeballing the TS440 but it seems pretty expensive once you factor in the 8 drive caddies ($160) and the expansion bay ($100). I need both of those to have 8 drives right? Then the next question is, what should I do with 8 drive bays available for raidz2? Or should I just go 5x4TB and keep the N40L?

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

fletcher posted:

I'm looking to upgrade my N40L with 5x2TB in raidz2. I'm eyeballing the TS440 but it seems pretty expensive once you factor in the 8 drive caddies ($160) and the expansion bay ($100). I need both of those to have 8 drives right? Then the next question is, what should I do with 8 drive bays available for raidz2? Or should I just go 5x4TB and keep the N40L?

The ts440 has a nice cpu, remote access, raid card, and power supplies for what you are paying. I would keep your N40L. Are there any problems other than disk space with your current setup

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

lampey posted:

The ts440 has a nice cpu, remote access, raid card, and power supplies for what you are paying. I would keep your N40L. Are there any problems other than disk space with your current setup

Other than it's at capacity, never had any problems with it.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

fletcher posted:

TSX40 series are pretty nice, but a lot of what you pay for is the simple convenience of it. If you're looking for more of a "maximum features for the money" type setup, you're going to have to roll your own, at which point you can start cruising eBay or CL for some of the parts. It's a classic question of time vs money, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Ok I think I've talked myself out of the Thinksever.

Any issues with 6TB drives in the N40L?

Also, how do I handle getting them all connected at the same time for the initial migration to the new drives?