Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Tae posted:

Radiant Dawn had way bigger problems that weren't related to the whole idea on paper of fighting both sides. Radiant Dawn mechanically had a poo poo load of problems way before we talk about the story, like unit availability.
My favorite RD "Why the gently caress would you do this?" thing was removing the ability to see enemy movement ranges and the weapon triangle on Hard, neither of which made the game actually harder but both of which made it significantly more annoying, less tactical, and less fun. Also PoR/RD were the games that introduced forged weapons but for whatever reason didn't make their harder modes harder by giving a bunch of them to enemies. Granted, since you could steal weapons in RD with Disarm it might not've been such a great idea but RD also had locked weapons so there was really no risk if they'd designed it right.

RD was a big mess, which was a shame because I really liked PoR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Desuwa posted:

It's also weird that they call Hoshido, the path that they're presumably giving a world map, the more traditional FE experience. Not just story, mind you, but they talked about scarcity in Nohr's path as if it were something unusual for the series.

I'm fine with them doing a trial to see which version sells better though. The series was in dire straights before Awakening and they've got to stay afloat.

Let's be fair though, the three games before awakening were Radiant Dawn, Shadow Dragon and then Mystery of the Emblem.

I mean I enjoy Shadow Dragon and Mysterly of the Emblem but most people don't, which is enough 'bad' entries to run a series into the ground.

Also I like to think that "scarcity" in Nohr means "no arenas" and Thracia style stealing weapons or whatever. :allears:

Cake Attack posted:

i don't think it's too unreasonable, unless one path ends up inexplicably having consistently worse map design than the other the path with better mechanics (resource scarity and higher difficulty) is probably going to better

What happened to your shift key anyways, Cake.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm pretty sure Mystery of the Emblem is received positively around here. The only one that really hates it is Omni and he hates Avatars in general (so don't be surprised he never says a single good thing about IF in the future).

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Tae posted:

Radiant Dawn had way bigger problems that weren't related to the whole idea on paper of fighting both sides. Radiant Dawn mechanically had a poo poo load of problems way before we talk about the story, like unit availability.

Well yeah, but its the only FE story that really tried to explore the conflict from the other side, and it was awful. Its the least of the game's problems but what else can you use as a benchmark for the idea of the Nohr campaign plotwise?

Again, I'm probably gonna enjoy it since I don't play Fire Emblem game's for the main story anyways. Plus the Nohr campaign will have supports to help draw my focus off it. Radiant Dawn's lack of them means you have nothing to think about but that awful, awful plot.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Apr 5, 2015

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Anatharon posted:

What happened to your shift key anyways, Cake.

i gave it up, in pursuit of greater posting power, much like nergal's humanity in fe7

Tae posted:

I'm pretty sure Mystery of the Emblem is received positively around here. The only one that really hates it is Omni and he hates Avatars in general (so don't be surprised he never says a single good thing about IF in the future).

i'm not a big fan of it because i don't really think it really improves on SD in any many particularly meaningful ways

the flipside is that i don't hate shadow dragon like so people do, but it's still one of my least favorite entries

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Well yeah, but its the only FE story that really tried to explore the conflict from the other side, and it was awful. Its the least of the game's problems but what else can you use as a benchmark for the idea of the Nohr campaign?

in the first trailer they made a semi-big deal that the plot was going to be written by some new manga guy they were bringing in so i wouldn't hold on too strongly to a past game as a benchmark

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Part of the problem was them releasing 11 outside of Japan but not 12, which was a really stupid move. I found 11 to be a huge boring slog and 12 to easily be in the top 3 of the series.

I'm also inherently and objectively right.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

i gave it up, in pursuit of greater posting power, much like nergal's humanity in fe7

You're a dead man.

Internet Kraken posted:

Well yeah, but its the only FE story that really tried to explore the conflict from the other side, and it was awful. Its the least of the game's problems but what else can you use as a benchmark for the idea of the Nohr campaign plotwise?

Again, I'm probably gonna enjoy it since I don't play Fire Emblem game's for the main story anyways. Plus the Nohr campaign will have supports to help draw my focus off it. Radiant Dawn's lack of them means you have nothing to think about but that awful, awful plot.

Well you played the conquering nepotistic jerkbags for the first half of FE4.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

11 is pretty ok. My least favorite Fire Emblem is 6 but 7 is pretty close. gently caress the GBA games.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Oh, is it bad opinion day in the Fire Emblem thread today?

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

It turns out bad opinions were the real SMT crossover all along

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Responding to the person from a few pages back, I'm one of the handful of people (two last time, maybe more this time?) in this thread who has a japanese 3DS, and I pretty much only answered direct questions and gave my impressions of the characters and gameplay. I have two years of college Japanese under my belt, which is enough to navigate menus and get the broadest outline of the plot but not even close to enough to really spoil anything in any meaningful sense.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Anatharon posted:

One of them is darker and edgier and has dragontits or whatever her name is so I think in most of the internet's mind is already made up.

E: I was going to just emptyquote this but for actual content her name's apparently Camilla???

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

E: I was going to just emptyquote this but for actual content her name's apparently Camilla???

Yup, you can see all the names here. Well, the ones we have. And a couple of them are most certainly changing during localization. Still no name for the dancer, which is pretty funny.

Also, Cake Attack, maybe it's time to update the OP soon with If info.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I really want Marx to have the same name.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
My favorite fire emblems are 8 and 13 because I am everything wrong with this series and treat it as some bizarre masturbatory numbers-go-up-athon

Looking forward to the Hoshido campaign

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Radiant Dawn was really fun despite its myriad of problems and would be in contendership for my favourite Fe game if it actually had supports. As is my favourite is probably POR, it is very good.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

11 is pretty ok. My least favorite Fire Emblem is 6 but 7 is pretty close. gently caress the GBA games.

I was going to act hilariously incredulous, but instead, why do you feel that way?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Terper posted:

Yup, you can see all the names here. Well, the ones we have. And a couple of them are most certainly changing during localization. Still no name for the dancer, which is pretty funny.

clearly it's Dancina

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

I dunno, being "the bad guy but not really" makes me think of Radiant Dawn which was a complete clusterfuck. I doubt it will be that bad but I'm not expecting anything great from either sides story.
One thing people seem to be forgetting is that they brought on a new, outside writer. A guy who does horror comics. I haven't read any of his work but 'horror comics' makes me think he can do something mildly dark.

edit: oh beaten

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Fire Emblem 14 will have an incredibly deep, rich, and nuanced world filled with unique and well developed characters who you'll care about and consider truly real. The twists and turns will be shocking but brilliantly executed, and the themes of family, loyalty and freedom will be well explored and refined.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Terper posted:

Fire Emblem 14 will have an incredibly deep, rich, and nuanced world filled with unique and well developed characters who you'll care about and consider truly real. The twists and turns will be shocking but brilliantly executed, and the themes of family, loyalty and freedom will be well explored and refined.

But only in the Hoshido route. :getin:

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

But only in the Hoshido route. :getin:

In the Nohr route you kill all of them and you get to look them in the eye, remembering it all, as they die. :black101:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Terper posted:

also you can marry an axebabe

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

also you can marry an axebabe

Not if you're girl Kamui because we don't live in a future where that's apperantly ok. :(

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

A female axe user? But that practice is strictly forbidden.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Terper posted:

Not if you're girl Kamui because we don't live in a future where that's apperantly ok. :(
we dont actually know that yet

actually we don't even know if marriage will still be a thing

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

we dont actually know that yet

actually we don't even know if marriage will still be a thing

Marriage sold the most copies they'd sold in the twenty years since the last game with marriage

I don't need to see it to tell you it will be there

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Females can use axes just not their own feet at the same time unless they are a caster offshoot class. FeMU will wield axes in her mouth in dragon form.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Marriage sold the most copies they'd sold in the twenty years since the last game with marriage

I don't need to see it to tell you it will be there
yeah but for the sake of argument!!!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Well I mean I can't see how marriages wouldn't be in, they've been part of the series since FE4, the only ones not have them since then is 5 and 11. Babies, now that's a different story altogether.

Anyhoo! Time for some more little details from the trailers I've been picking up.

Let's take a look at some of the characters here. We've talked about a couple of the more obvious ones before, but let's take a look at the leftmost unit, and the two cavaliers.

This seems to be one of the maids, and looking at the hair color, probably Felicia, the one on the Hoshido box art. This is obviously a Nohr map, though.

We can also see the same character here, but on a Hoshido map.

Now let's take a look at the cavaliers.

He's on both the Nohr and Hoshido maps. Buuuut

He's an enemy in a cutscene here.

Here's a closer look at him in battle, while on Nohr's side.

The other cavalier hasn't shown up much, but we do have a tiny glimpse of her portrait.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Shame on you for not making a Nohr/nor pun.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Boss conversations! They were missing in Awakening and were one of the best parts of Radiant Dawn. I want those back.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Terper posted:

Boss conversations! They were missing in Awakening and were one of the best parts of Radiant Dawn. I want those back.

I was super disappointed with the lack of conversation with Gangrel. I think only Chrom had unique dialogue before cutting him down, but I really felt pretty much everyone except maybe Lonk had an opportunity there.

e: Also Say'ri not having Supports with Yen'fay, I guess.

Clawtopsy fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Apr 5, 2015

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Terper posted:

i hate OPs why do i post all these drat threads, ugh

Yeah I'll do it when I have some free time

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I get the feeling both campaigns will ultimately be fighting the same enemies. Hoshida getting their swag on and Nohr punching "evil generals" or something.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Desuwa posted:

Females can use axes just not their own feet at the same time unless they are a caster offshoot class. FeMU will wield axes in her mouth in dragon form.

Flavia doesn't use her own feet, she walks on the skulls of her enemies.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Looper posted:

I was going to act hilariously incredulous, but instead, why do you feel that way?

The GBA games are the weakest games mechanically. I hate how the evade formula makes any unit with a decent amount of speed (which is every unit worth using) functionally invincible, I hate how the implementation of con and weapon weight makes every enemy's speed drop like a rock midgame and I'm just not a fan of the map design. Supports are also implemented in a really dumb way but I don't care about them enough for it to really effect my enjoyment of the game.

For reference my favorite games in the series are 12, for having the best implemented hard difficulty in the series and making bows a worthwhile weapon type; 10, for having the most consistently good map design and the bizarre unit availability gives a much larger amount of units than other games a chance to shine; and 5, for attempting to get across that you are playing the outmatched resistance in the map design and having the only good prison break sequence I've played in an RPG. I've never played 1, 2 or 3.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
In the Nohr map, Hoshido Maid is way too far apart from the other units. Assuming the overhang has to be walked around instead of walked under she's 8 squares away. Meanwhile on the Hoshido map she's right in the middle of the action with the rest of the units. Makes me wonder what her purpose on that map is, if she's so separate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
They should have gotten Yoko Taro instead of that horror manga guy to write the story.