Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What does tempo deck mean in Conquest context?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

PJOmega posted:

At worst it's a card that could have been something to help you win. Opportunity cost of the card is a big deal in card games.

Edit: Wait, you're the guy who ranted on and on about how "Search X cards and place the rest on the bottom" was a terrible mechanic.

That aside... cards and credits are much closer in value in Conquest than they are in most CCGs. The fact that bonus cards and bonus credits show up in nearly equal quantities on both planets and units means it's not all that unusual to have a 10+ card hand with a measly 5-8 credits. 1-2 cheapeners in a deck that intends to play a 4-7 turn game is totally reasonable.

Baron Porkface posted:

What does tempo deck mean in Conquest context?

I see the standard Dark Eldar Khymera deck as a tempo style deck. It focuses on generating immediate on-board advantages with Khymera generators while denying opponents their bonuses with cards like Archon's Terror and Archon's Palace.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
Well, after playing through the Black Riders and The Road Darkens in Campaign mode, my buddy and I took the decks we'd honed through those quests up against the core set today. Went 3/3 against all three core quests. It's amazing how much better us and our decks have gotten! We're both running tri-sphere(ish), with me being Merry, Sam, and Pippin, and him being Gandalf, Lore Aragorn, and Spirit Glorfindel.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?
I just wanted to share with you guys the news that I started a new blog for LOTR. I've got a lot of ideas for content (a new entry should be posted later today). As well, I want to reach out to as many people in the community to get input on what type of content people are interested in seeing. I plan on making both articles and videos, so hit me with any ideas you have!

http://mirkwoodrunner.blogspot.com/

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

mongol posted:

I just wanted to share with you guys the news that I started a new blog for LOTR. I've got a lot of ideas for content (a new entry should be posted later today). As well, I want to reach out to as many people in the community to get input on what type of content people are interested in seeing. I plan on making both articles and videos, so hit me with any ideas you have!

Cool! Bookmarked.
I'll let you know if I think of any ideas too :)

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Any suggestions for dealing with Guard using my Ork deck? I feel Dakka is not giving me enough AoE to deal with the pure amount of bullshit I have to deal with sometimes

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

MisterShine posted:

Any suggestions for dealing with Guard using my Ork deck? I feel Dakka is not giving me enough AoE to deal with the pure amount of bullshit I have to deal with sometimes

Decklist?

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Nazdreg + His Card

Void Pirate x2
Rogue Trader x3
Iron Guard x3
Sanctioned Psyker x3
Weirdboy maniak x3
Deathskull Lootas x2
Killa Kanz x3
Enraged Ork x3
Goff Boyz x2
Crushface x1

Kannon x1
Tellyporta x1
Ammo Depot x1
Kustom Field x3

Promotion x2

Battle Cry x3
Supressive Fire x3
Dakka Dakka Dakka x3

I thought the Maniaks would be better at killing piles of 1HP guys but they tend to be hiding in HQ so the ability is wasted

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Adding two more Kannons will fix your guard problem quickly.

E-If you don't mind ally, bring in Guards Preemptive Barrage and any AOE unit on initiative turn. Goodbye small unit spam.

Slandible fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 2, 2015

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Slandible posted:

Adding two more Kannons will fix your guard problem quickly.

E-If you don't mind ally, bring in Guards Preemptive Barrage and any AOE unit on initiative turn. Goodbye small unit spam.

Preemptive Barrage is loyal. I wouldn't pay for the guards AoE vehicle to be honest.

MisterShine posted:

Nazdreg + His Card

Void Pirate x2
Rogue Trader x3
Iron Guard x3
Sanctioned Psyker x3
Weirdboy maniak x3
Deathskull Lootas x2
Killa Kanz x3
Enraged Ork x3
Goff Boyz x2
Crushface x1

Kannon x1
Tellyporta x1
Ammo Depot x1
Kustom Field x3

Promotion x2

Battle Cry x3
Supressive Fire x3
Dakka Dakka Dakka x3

I thought the Maniaks would be better at killing piles of 1HP guys but they tend to be hiding in HQ so the ability is wasted

At one Command icon, I don't think Maniaks are really worth playing right now. Your support numbers are janky, too - 1 of each of those? Ammo Depot is an easy 3x if you're going to be using it in your deck because you want that online ASAP. Kannons for me are similar - a full playset or none, based on whether or not you have things in your deck you want to use them to activate (Brutal, Runtherds, Doks, etc). Right now I actually think Kumstom Fields are better for activating brutal than cannons by far, and cannons don't help you win command struggles until the turn after they're played at best, assuming your opponent doesn't just shield his 1HP dudes (which he will probably shield that promoted Rogue Trader or w/e, so).

Crushface is also a card that, if you're going to play it, you want at least 2 of them so you have a decent chance of seeing it in the first few turns, especially since Orks lack for decently costed double command icon units, and his ability is almost always relevant. Promotion should probably be a 3x as well.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 2, 2015

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I find that Orks + Chaos are a better combo, especially if you focus on the whole "murder everything all the time" style. Kannon, Maniak, Dakka, Warpstorm, that one Nurgle pinger unit, and Doombolt all poo poo out copious amounts of damage to everything, and it's really fun to just murder a lot of things. You can even add in Plague Marines to help capitalize on your murder spree. I'm not even going to pretend it's a good or competitive deck, but it is fun as hell. Dark Eldar tend to hate it because most of their units are soft as hell, but Warleader loves it because most of your units have 1-2 points of damage on them. gently caress Klaivex Warleader is what I'm saying here.

I think if you were going with IG, you have to capitalize on making GBS threads out a ton of units, maybe going with Zogwort instead of Nurgle since you're going for a swarm style. Zogwort + War Cry + Snotling Attack (maybe? bad interaction with Zogwort) + various cheap IG units (this should show that I don't play IG that much) + Catachen Monastery, and just overwhelm the opponent. Needs a way to deal with Area Effect units and stuff, though. Atrox Prime is your worst enemy in that matchup. Maybe even Stracken as a base instead of Orks, since I think IG does the whole "cheap units" thing better. Make sure you draw a ton, though.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
I have a quick Lord of the Rings LCG question. I've checked the rulebook and I've tried googling it and I absolutely cannot find an answer. If you defend an enemy attack, and then the defending character leaves play before the attack would resolve, is the attack now undefended?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ChewyLSB posted:

I have a quick Lord of the Rings LCG question. I've checked the rulebook and I've tried googling it and I absolutely cannot find an answer. If you defend an enemy attack, and then the defending character leaves play before the attack would resolve, is the attack now undefended?

Yes

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

mongol posted:

Bookmarked. I haven't played LOTR in quite some time, just starting to get back into it, wanting to do a run through with the girlfriend using thematic decks and going Easy Mode when necessary.

Mr. Met
Jan 14, 2008

Personally I preferred the mixed nuts caper!

Shadin posted:

Bookmarked. I haven't played LOTR in quite some time, just starting to get back into it, wanting to do a run through with the girlfriend using thematic decks and going Easy Mode when necessary.

Easy mode sounds a little tempting right now, actually. I just lost like 6 or 7 straight attempts at Journey Along the Anduin. I can get a Forest Snare on the troll usually, but then get overwhelmed by other enemies before I can do any damage to it. This game continues to be pretty frustrating, but I'm still enjoying it. I might need to start playing two handed.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

I had originally run Ork with Chaos but grabbing some really nice 2 command units out of guard made my life so much easier, it's something I find unloyal chaos and ork both suffer for.

With the added command the amount of card draw I tend to get keeps me above the threshold ammo dump keys in at a lot of the time, it's a nice emergency measure some of the time, but that's why there's only one of them.

Similarly the single cannon is find for picking off traders and other 1 hp command units on their lonesome, but I never really felt the need for three of them. Nice to have but by the late game i still just want one and the other 2 are dead cards.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Mr. Met posted:

Easy mode sounds a little tempting right now, actually. I just lost like 6 or 7 straight attempts at Journey Along the Anduin. I can get a Forest Snare on the troll usually, but then get overwhelmed by other enemies before I can do any damage to it. This game continues to be pretty frustrating, but I'm still enjoying it. I might need to start playing two handed.

What heroes/deck are you using?

Mr. Met
Jan 14, 2008

Rarity posted:

What heroes/deck are you using?

I have one core and the Mirkwood cycle expansions. I read that Forest Snare and Gandalf/Sneak Attack are two solid options for handling the troll, so I built a Leadership/Lore deck to try to give me both options, using Aragorn/Theodred for their synergy and then Denethor as a defender. But I would typically get overwhelmed with enemies, or else lose via threat before I could do enough damage to the troll. That deck does have a high starting threat and no threat management, which hurts.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Mr. Met posted:

I have one core and the Mirkwood cycle expansions. I read that Forest Snare and Gandalf/Sneak Attack are two solid options for handling the troll, so I built a Leadership/Lore deck to try to give me both options, using Aragorn/Theodred for their synergy and then Denethor as a defender. But I would typically get overwhelmed with enemies, or else lose via threat before I could do enough damage to the troll. That deck does have a high starting threat and no threat management, which hurts.

Yeah, that deck is fairly reliant on getting an early Forest Snare or keeping Aragorn healed enough to tank hits. Have you tried switching Lore out to Tactics? Between Gimli and Feint you have way better management of the troll and more strength for other enemies. Also, are you remembering that enemies don't automatically engage during step 2?

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Picked up Conquests Threat Beyond today and a bit disappointed with it. Dark Elder got some great stuff in it and Eldar events/supports are good like always , but everyone else's feels a bit week. That, and they basically just copied Borkan Recruits for several other factions.

Slandible fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 3, 2015

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Slandible posted:

Picked up Conquests Threat Beyond today and a bit disappointed with it. Dark Elder got some great stuff in it and Eldar events/supports are good like always , but everyone else's feels a bit week. That, and they basically just copied Borkan Recruits for several other factions.

I had like the exact opposite opinion of every card in this pack. Orks got a pair of amazing cards, AM's new warlord is the best, Both Eldar's stuff isn't any good. Agreed on the Bork'an Recruits thing though, they've been really lazy with those cards.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Pretty sure it was a conscious decision to give everyone a version of that troop, not laziness.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

A conscious decision to be lazy.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

sirtommygunn posted:

Every faction should have access to Bears

Mr. Met
Jan 14, 2008

Rarity posted:

Yeah, that deck is fairly reliant on getting an early Forest Snare or keeping Aragorn healed enough to tank hits. Have you tried switching Lore out to Tactics? Between Gimli and Feint you have way better management of the troll and more strength for other enemies. Also, are you remembering that enemies don't automatically engage during step 2?

Yeah, thanks for the advice. I had a bit better luck running a Gimli/Theodred/Eowyn tri-sphere deck, and finally made it to phase two thanks to Gandalf and Sneak Attack/Buffed Beorn. Unfortunately, by that point I only had 1 hp on each hero left, and on the first double card draw I landed Goblin Sniper and a second hill troll. The sniper immediately killed all the heroes since I couldn't optionally engage him. Will give it another try later.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Mr. Met posted:

Yeah, thanks for the advice. I had a bit better luck running a Gimli/Theodred/Eowyn tri-sphere deck, and finally made it to phase two thanks to Gandalf and Sneak Attack/Buffed Beorn. Unfortunately, by that point I only had 1 hp on each hero left, and on the first double card draw I landed Goblin Sniper and a second hill troll. The sniper immediately killed all the heroes since I couldn't optionally engage him. Will give it another try later.

The Sniper only adds 1 damage to 1 character each round :eng101:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

sirtommygunn posted:

Well they could have just made them neutral but then you'd only get the 3 of them. This way each group gets access to running 6x of them. I know what you're saying but I don't mind them being lazy with a card that will be useful in every faction.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mr. Met posted:

Switch to Leadership/Spirit if you have the Spirit Glorfindel - which I think you do, I'm sure he was Mirkwood cycle. You'll rip through everything in the cycle bar Rhosgobel.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Jedit posted:

Switch to Leadership/Spirit if you have the Spirit Glorfindel - which I think you do, I'm sure he was Mirkwood cycle. You'll rip through everything in the cycle bar Rhosgobel.

Nope, he was in the Dwarrowdelf Cycle. Foundations of Stone I think, but I could be wrong.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Epi Lepi posted:

Nope, he was in the Dwarrowdelf Cycle. Foundations of Stone I think, but I could be wrong.

It is, you're right.

(So buy FOS, then put Glorf-S in.)

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I'd try two handed, too, if you keep getting eaten by trolls. I think it's more fun for me anyways, but some prefer single deck. The third core set quest is going to be brutal without more heroes, so might as well try playing two decks sooner than later.

Also I may be alone here, but if you have sleeves, I'd consider proxying extra copies of the power cards from the core set like Unexpected Courage, Steward of Gondor, Gandalf (for your second deck), etc. Especially if you are playing 50 card decks and not the 30 card starter things.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is there a resource for fundamentals of LOTR deckbuilding?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Baron Porkface posted:

Check out Tales From the Cards!
https://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/deck-building-101/

Mr. Met
Jan 14, 2008

Thanks for all the advice. I did finally break through and beat Anduin today using that tri-sphere deck - extremely satisfying. Once I survived to a certain point, I was able to get so many allies in play that I could clear cards faster than they could come out of the encounter deck, even during phase 2 where you draw 2 instead of 1. It seems like surviving the first several turns and getting over that hump is the real challenge. At that point, the only thing to worry about was threat management.

Sounds like it's Dol Goldur is going to require playing two handed, so I'll probably make two dual-sphere decks to minimize proxying. The core set has 4 Gandalfs, so each deck can still have two. It would be nice to have more copies of Steward of Gondor and Unexpected Courage, and I do use sleeves, but it seems like a pain in the rear end to make proxies. Maybe I'll eventually buy two other cores (once I've bought every other expansion that's out, that is.)

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
For people looking to fill out their core 1s and 2s for LotR be sure to search eBay. A few years back I was able to get a custom compiled set from an auction instead of buying 2 more Core sets and ending up with a million extra enemy cards. Although I don't see a set exactly like that right now when I'm searching, there are some similar ones like $8 for a 3rd copy of all the 2-ofs.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Baron Porkface posted:

Tales From the Cards is great. As is Hall of Beorn, especially the Beorn's Path series of articles.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I've heard the Gondor cycle is super difficult. how difficult is ring-maker?

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?

Baron Porkface posted:

I've heard the Gondor cycle is super difficult. how difficult is ring-maker?

I don't think it's as difficult as the Against the Shadow cycle, but it has its challenges. It's my favorite cycle this far.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I got back in to LotR recently and decided to buy the next cycle that I don't have, Against the Shadow. I found Numenor and the last 3 Adventure Packs easily and for good prices but had to shell out a bit above MSRP for Amon Din and Druadan Forest and I can't find Steward's Fear for sale anywhere for a reasonable price. Guessing that cycle is in the process of going out of print. How long does it usually take before a reprint?

Anyone have an extra Steward's Fear they'd sell me (or trade me for the extra Redhorn Gate AP that I somehow ended up with)? Or, if you notice it in your FLGS and would let me PayPal you its cost + shipping, that would be awesome too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Steward's Fear has been out of print for months. I've had 3 proxies of those drat Gondorian shields forever. It's supposed to be on a boat right now though so hopefully it will be in stores in a month or so.