Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Any place that you've worked at for a while, that poo poo cans you immediately or a week after you put your notice in can gently caress off (guessing it's mostly corporate).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
Yeah I would go with being prepared to leave that day but still giving more than a months notice unless they are actively loving with you.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

A Man and his dog posted:

Any place that you've worked at for a while, that poo poo cans you immediately or a week after you put your notice in can gently caress off (guessing it's mostly corporate).

Depends on your role. Sales, for instance, most companies will terminate you immediately and confiscate data and devices so you can't walk with client info.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

I think I need to start looking for a new job. I can work just fine as a waiter, but lately they have been over seating me. I work fine dining where a 4 top spending like 400+ is pretty much a given. I don't mind working 4 or even 5, but when you drop 3 tables of 15+ people total at the EXACT same time, I get hosed. I can't handle it and I make small mistakes that in the moment I may not even be aware of. I can't give any of my tables time or talk to them, I can't help out the restaurant and run food, and my manager basically told me "deal with it". Like tonight, when I got home, I realized on my 14 top I forgot a salad (only one dude ordered a salad). I didn't ring it or charge them for it, but I am super worried that they will call in and poof there goes my job. I got offered jobs at two local fine dining restaurants but I am such a god drat chicken poo poo I don't know what to do. I have only ever worked in one restaurant, and moving scares me.

I need to finish my degree and get the gently caress out of this hell hole.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Secret Spoon posted:

I think I need to start looking for a new job. I can work just fine as a waiter, but lately they have been over seating me. I work fine dining where a 4 top spending like 400+ is pretty much a given. I don't mind working 4 or even 5, but when you drop 3 tables of 15+ people total at the EXACT same time, I get hosed. I can't handle it and I make small mistakes that in the moment I may not even be aware of. I can't give any of my tables time or talk to them, I can't help out the restaurant and run food, and my manager basically told me "deal with it". Like tonight, when I got home, I realized on my 14 top I forgot a salad (only one dude ordered a salad). I didn't ring it or charge them for it, but I am super worried that they will call in and poof there goes my job. I got offered jobs at two local fine dining restaurants but I am such a god drat chicken poo poo I don't know what to do. I have only ever worked in one restaurant, and moving scares me.

I need to finish my degree and get the gently caress out of this hell hole.

honestly, deal with it or get out.

find an order taking system that works for you where you don't forget things, don't get flustered while taking orders, don't feel pressured to get everything 1000% right every time, and just go back to the table a million times and make sure no one has forgotten anything.

unless they're a complete dick, no one is going to fault you for forgetting a salad order at a 14 top. what they're going to not forgive you for is not coming back and giving them an opportunity to remind you that you forgot it.

I sat in a 10 top recently and lady girl forgot my drink order, and walked past us 5 times over a period of 15 minutes (in a restaurant that only seats about 50), and never once even gave us a chance to make eye contact. we were even doing the whole waving arms soft 'excuse me!' thing.

anyways it's a different skillset from doing a table of 4-5 for sure, but just adapt and you'll be fine. the fact you're remembering you forgot some poo poo after you got home is a good sign - I honestly think most servers who are bad just don't even give a gently caress.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

mindphlux posted:

honestly, deal with it or get out.

find an order taking system that works for you where you don't forget things, don't get flustered while taking orders, don't feel pressured to get everything 1000% right every time, and just go back to the table a million times and make sure no one has forgotten anything.

unless they're a complete dick, no one is going to fault you for forgetting a salad order at a 14 top. what they're going to not forgive you for is not coming back and giving them an opportunity to remind you that you forgot it.

I sat in a 10 top recently and lady girl forgot my drink order, and walked past us 5 times over a period of 15 minutes (in a restaurant that only seats about 50), and never once even gave us a chance to make eye contact. we were even doing the whole waving arms soft 'excuse me!' thing.

anyways it's a different skillset from doing a table of 4-5 for sure, but just adapt and you'll be fine. the fact you're remembering you forgot some poo poo after you got home is a good sign - I honestly think most servers who are bad just don't even give a gently caress.

If it was just that 14 top no loving WAY I would have forgotten that salad. I was drowning man and I couldn't get help. I got written up for not getting the to go food to the table before they left last week and they said I was on my last chance ( the other write up was not getting a 100 on a shopper (still got a 90) . I'm also dyslexic so my notes look crazy to other people but to me they make sense. I guess this makes me feel better, but I am not sure how to deal with it. Just loving get drunk and hope I'm employed next week? The past few months have been fine, but the last two weeks have just been hosed. two write ups and I just have never had trouble doing just the basics of my job before. Maybe I should just go back to the line and keep my head low.

E: I should mention thats 4 or 5 tables. That 14 top was one of 3 tables sat in my section at the SAME time. Like, all this happened within 4 minutes.

Secret Spoon fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Apr 3, 2015

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Jesus heist dude if it's that much stress just go to another place. One great thing about the service industry is you can work literally anywhere.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Jesus heist dude if it's that much stress just go to another place. One great thing about the service industry is you can work literally anywhere.

I am stressed man. I definitely need to figure something out. I just don't like the idea of quitting and I am super green to the industry as a whole. I am easily the youngest waiter by all measures and yet they feel confident enough in me to give me coveted shifts. I feel like I am letting the restaurant down. I need to ditch some of my old navy habits. I'm venting here because I am afraid to vent wit coworkers. There is only like two or three of the 20 something waiters I can trust, and they have families so I don't want to poo poo their lives up with my petty problems. The idea of failure is hateful to me and I mark the past month as a whole sale failure. I will be applying to two restaurants tomorrow. Two of my friends want me at this new place, including the chef, and the way they talk about it makes it seem like its much better for me. I can take the paycut if it means I can go home and sleep at night without worrying about some of the poo poo that goes on here.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
You got sat nearly 45 people at the same time? By yourself? Yes, that's insane. But it also sounds like they're loving with you. Take one of the other jobs and quit. There's no reason to be so stressed when your boss pays you what, minimum? Slightly above? If that poo poo isn't 2+ michelin then gently caress that.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

That was me yesterday, 11 tables for me and my partner for the lunch rush. We're both the host, bartender, server, everything. I had a 5 top come in and all order up drinks at the same time as 4 other tables sat. I chipped a shaker in my haste and had to redo 2 martinis and ditch an entire ice bin and it all went downhill from there. We had to call the GM up to help us expo and run food. It was good showing him that 2 people really can't do the entire front of the house service for our dining room when he's resolutely avoided hiring a 3rd staff. Private clubs are a totally different beast even if they're nominally restaurants since you're beholden to the club member's whims moreso than an average place. One of the members noticed the vein popping out of the side of my head and told me that his table would happily wait 10 minutes to order just so we could catch up. The stability, living wage, and support from managment (and a few of the members) certainly make dealing with lovely stress days like yesterday much easier.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Oh lordy lord the only thing worse than needing to burn the ice because of a glass chip is being a manager who has to diplomatically tell a bartender that no, they DO need to burn the ice because there's a shard of glass in there somewhere you dumb gently caress.

Secret Spoon posted:

I am stressed man. I definitely need to figure something out. I just don't like the idea of quitting and I am super green to the industry as a whole. I am easily the youngest waiter by all measures and yet they feel confident enough in me to give me coveted shifts. I feel like I am letting the restaurant down. I need to ditch some of my old navy habits. I'm venting here because I am afraid to vent wit coworkers. There is only like two or three of the 20 something waiters I can trust, and they have families so I don't want to poo poo their lives up with my petty problems. The idea of failure is hateful to me and I mark the past month as a whole sale failure. I will be applying to two restaurants tomorrow. Two of my friends want me at this new place, including the chef, and the way they talk about it makes it seem like its much better for me. I can take the paycut if it means I can go home and sleep at night without worrying about some of the poo poo that goes on here.

lmao your job sounds like soviet russia. Nobody ITT makes enough money to be constantly afraid of the Fine Dining Statsi. Nobody anywhere makes enough money for that, actually.

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!

Willie Tomg posted:

Oh lordy lord the only thing worse than needing to burn the ice because of a glass chip is being a manager who has to diplomatically tell a bartender that no, they DO need to burn the ice because there's a shard of glass in there somewhere you dumb gently caress.

Nothing makes me more uncomfortable than having to explain to any of the non-F&B staff at my place why scooping ice out of the machine directly into your glass is A Bad Idea. The fact that you can't tell somebody when they're doing something wrong, no matter how diplomatically you frame it for fear of hurting someone's feelings is why I wouldn't last 5 minutes in a normal job

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Any recommendations for good websites for plating inspiration?

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.
So Con Edison came by Wednesday during the between-lunch-and-dinner break to tell us that the main building our restaurant's in had a faulty gas line that was kind of leaky for the past two years. They shut the gas off, but we're a sushi restaurant, so our owner decided to keep running without kitchen food (and made the decision 45 minutes before opening) so that was a fun mix of public relations and crisis managing.

Came in yesterday, same thing. At this point we have no idea when the gas is coming back on and Con Ed's not telling us anything so we decided to close for lunch the next day (today), but owner tells us to stay open for dinner.

Today I come in to at least take phone calls and stuff, and be present in case Con Ed or the building super needs to talk to us so I can interpret to our Japanese head chef. And then about an hour in we find out the health inspector has stopped in at the bodega next door. And that is when our owner finally decides we should close. At least Con Ed tells us gas should be back on tomorrow morning.

I have a Friday night off for the first time in a year and a half and it feels weird.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Glass breaks anywhere near the ice well, immediately pour grenadine/blue curaçao/some lovely neon colored syrup so no irresponsible dickwad can even try to use it.

I have a permanent scar on my lip from being served a drink in a glass chipped from being used as an ice scoop. I still have to explain to my coworker twice a week why he can't store his spoons in a glass shoved in the well. loving moron.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I have a permanent scar on my lip from being served a drink in a glass chipped from being used as an ice scoop. I still have to explain to my coworker twice a week why he can't store his spoons in a glass shoved in the well. loving moron.

Hey, I have one of these too from when someone broke glass in an ice well and it ended up in my cocktail a few years ago.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I would feel "Harriet I killed a kid" levels of shame if I ever did that to anybody

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
It still makes me really mad after five years. It's not noticeable to others unless I point it out, but I see it all the time and I have to do all these special tricky things to wear lipstick over it. I have shamed many dive bar bartenders for scooping ice with glass over the years.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
It's strange that while our bartenders are not the best, they religiously scoop ice with the metal scoop in the well. And the one time I have seen them drop something into the ice they grabbed the grenadine and emptied it during a busy Rush so no one would use it until the bar back could replace it.

It's nice that they are actually cognizant of that.... Or they just really hate burning ice and getting weeded because of it, so they know better than to risk it.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I remember in culinary school a student got his hand crushed in the ice machine because he thought it was a good idea to try to dislodge a big chunk of ice hanging over the bin by reaching in and slapping it. That's probably worse since you can't make the dumb gently caress who ruined the ice clean it up.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Thoht posted:

Instagram. Search for chefs you like and check out the chefs who's pictures they like. Repeat ad infinitum.

slingshot effect
Sep 28, 2009

the wonderful wizard of welp

Thoht posted:

https://instagram.com/cookingforbae/

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Lol

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

It turns out I offended one of the hostess, who is now fired, and that's why my sections have been hosed for the past month.

Never tell a teenager that you aren't interested in them I guess.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
That's my life motto and it's worked so far!

e: i feel so sick. they made me grate like 20 pounds of parmesan cuz it was slow and before you know it you've eaten so, so much

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
So slow today after being slammed yesterday.

Tomorrow will most likely be slow cause Bible Belt living and Easter... Boo!

Also when it comes to chicks in the restaurant: Don't poo poo where you eat if you have it good.

rayray00
Mar 27, 2003

Capturing the moment from hair-loopies to big bellies.

Also when it comes to chicks in the restaurant: Don't poo poo where you eat if you have it good.

This x1000, I quit my last job cause the hostess I hosed was batshit insane.

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.

Thoht posted:

https://instagram.com/chefjacqueslamerde/

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

That is some impressive plating.

infiniteguest
May 14, 2009

oh god oh god

Baby carrot ranch puree.

I know all these ideas are intentionally awful but I love them all so much.

infiniteguest fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 5, 2015

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

infiniteguest posted:

Baby carrot ranch puree.

I know all these ideas are intentionally awful but I love them all so much.

hahahahaha, macro basil.

That instagram is awesome, in so many ways.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

hahahahaha, macro basil.

That instagram is awesome, in so many ways.

The one today where he said he "didn't know combos had gluten, what am I bill nye?" Is hysterical.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

quote:

KINDER EGGS ARE ILLEGAL IN THE US BUT JOSE GOT US A SWEET HOOK UP FROM THE SAN SALVADOR BLACK MARKET SO WE R RUNNING A SICK SPEC. KINDER EGG FILLED W/ RAW CAKE BATTER ROMANCED W/ CHARRED RICE CRISPIES, PB, GOJI + MESQUITE POWDER. DONT TELL THE FEDS!!!

I am slain, only hysterical laughter remains

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
the man is giving me advice "for when i am future chef" again. may I have the sense and reason to not be influenced! i'd make a really good cult member!

Hauki
May 11, 2010

holy poo poo cracking up

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Trip report: Easter Hell day....

So they left my rear end alone on the floor, thinking we would be dead.... Uhh no we got loving slammed. $1500 in sales by myself in a 12 table section. JESUS.

Also my HC is such poo poo. He has to much pride to throw away his 2 week old frozen poo poo veggie lasagna........... Sigh.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
That's insecurity, the opposite of pride. "If I keep it on the board, someone will like it. They have to, it's so good! Right guys?"

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Kimitsu posted:

So Con Edison came by Wednesday during the between-lunch-and-dinner break to tell us that the main building our restaurant's in had a faulty gas line that was kind of leaky for the past two years. They shut the gas off, but we're a sushi restaurant, so our owner decided to keep running without kitchen food (and made the decision 45 minutes before opening) so that was a fun mix of public relations and crisis managing.

Came in yesterday, same thing. At this point we have no idea when the gas is coming back on and Con Ed's not telling us anything so we decided to close for lunch the next day (today), but owner tells us to stay open for dinner.

Today I come in to at least take phone calls and stuff, and be present in case Con Ed or the building super needs to talk to us so I can interpret to our Japanese head chef. And then about an hour in we find out the health inspector has stopped in at the bodega next door. And that is when our owner finally decides we should close. At least Con Ed tells us gas should be back on tomorrow morning.

I have a Friday night off for the first time in a year and a half and it feels weird.

So...this wasn't the Sushi restaurant in the East village, was it? :ohdear:

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.
It was not, but everyone's still a little on edge after that.

Also Con Ed came by Saturday to say there was some weird pressure so we're waiting until Monday? Tuesday? to see if the gas can be turned on safely again.

We're on the ground floor of an apartment building in the UWS so that's a lot of rich people without gas/hot water for a week. :shrug:

Edit: And apparently we're still gas-less for tomorrow, but still opening. :gonk: I don't actually have anything to do with food prep but hopefully the electric boiler was installed today in case the health inspector is around tomorrow?

Kimitsu fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Apr 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Trip report: Easter Hell day....

So they left my rear end alone on the floor, thinking we would be dead.... Uhh no we got loving slammed.

We were the only open restaurant on the block. It was supposed to be a nice, easy day, but no.

• Locked thread