Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hey thread, looking for some freelance work to last me until I can snag a more stable job.

I do character art, Logo's, graphic design, and illustration.

http://penciloverlord.tumblr.com/

PM me on SA or email Will.artguy.haward ( at ) gmail . com with a summery of what work you want me to do and I will give you a quote.

Edit: now with the correct art-blog link.

OmanyteJackson fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
What's up, freelance thread! I'm an illustrator & cartoonist who does mostly comics, cartoons, album art, and other fiddly illustrative things.

My website is https://www.andisantagata.com and y'all can email me at andisantagata at gmail dot com! I also do lettering for comics.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

Hello. I'm a freelance illustrator (and occasional graphic designer). I'm available for hire and for private commissions. I've worked on a pretty wide range of stuff from portraits and birthday gifts to editorial illustration, record sleeves and branding. Happy to turn my hand to most anything. Some examples:

I also dabble in animation. From gifs (such as Batman above) to more narrative stuff like this wee short I made for Pringle 1815.

More examples (and an online shop) on my site: davidgalletly.com
Questions / contact / anything else via PM or at hello@davidgalletly.com

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
I'd like to have a painting commissioned of some pets for a Christmas present, but I'm not exactly sure how this whole thing works. I assume I'd review portfolios, choose one who style I like, send them a bunch of pictures, and then they would do a basic sketch and do revisions until it's good to do a final version?

I want to say I'm looking for something like a 20x32 oil(? I dunno much about art, or art sizes) painting, that can be framed on the cheap, something large enough to recognize the dogs from across the room that looks classy and realistic. I'm sure it depends on the artist, but what would an average price for that go? I'd like to pay a fair price and certainly not rip off a starving artist, but at the same time I'm not a rich man.

I'd like to figure all this out now so I can set aside enough money and have it on time for Christmas. Thanks art goons!

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

Long Francesco posted:

I want to say I'm looking for something like a 20x32 oil(? I dunno much about art, or art sizes) painting, that can be framed on the cheap, something large enough to recognize the dogs from across the room that looks classy and realistic. I'm sure it depends on the artist, but what would an average price for that go? I'd like to pay a fair price and certainly not rip off a starving artist, but at the same time I'm not a rich man.

I don't personally do art/oil paint commissions, but I'd think that an oil painting that size in a realistic style would run you at least a few hundred. There are definitely other folks around here that could probably give you a more precise estimate. But yes, you'd review portfolios, hire the artist that you like best, ideally sign a contract, get a few concept sketches, get a couple sketch revisions, and then the painting gets underway, and you'll get some progress shots, perhaps give feedback, and receive the painting after it dries and is safe to ship (oil takes a while to dry). Revisions (for the sketch phase and especially for the painting phase) will likely be limited, as too many revisions will screw an artist over on a fixed price commission.

As for framing, getting an oil painting that size mounted and framed will probably run you another couple hundred at least, and that's if you pick the skinniest cheapest plastic moulding (which will look like poo poo). I got a couple oil paintings about that size (epic pieces by a local artist) framed recently, and for the pair it was $1200. Granted, I went to the higher end local frame shop (instead of Michael's, which tends to cater more to family photos than works of art) and opted for some nice moulding because I wanted quality framing I'd be happy with for the long term. Even though it was expensive as gently caress, shelling out for a good framing job was totally worth it. The art looks amazing up on my wall, and I'm happy every time I look at it. Also, the process of picking out the perfect materials was super fun.

Realistically, I'd probably budget $400 for framing. You could probably get it done for a good deal less, but I'd at least be prepared for a higher price because framing costs vary wildly depending on moulding and mounting. In framing my pieces, I'd originally picked out another (but very similar) moulding, which would have been like $200 more per painting. It was kind of insane.

Also, if this is gift, are you familiar with the recipient's house, decor, and tastes? Because that'll inform the frame you pick. The last thing you want is to deliver art set in a frame they don't like or totally doesn't go with their living room or whatever. A good framer will discuss all this stuff with you, though.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
There's also shipping to consider. The one time I shipped a painting someone commissioned I remember being surprised at how expensive it was. I think plain ol' Canada Post was somewhere around $150.

hac
Oct 21, 2005

Long Francesco posted:

I'd like to have a painting commissioned of some pets for a Christmas present, but I'm not exactly sure how this whole thing works. I assume I'd review portfolios, choose one who style I like, send them a bunch of pictures, and then they would do a basic sketch and do revisions until it's good to do a final version?

I'd like to figure all this out now so I can set aside enough money and have it on time for Christmas. Thanks art goons!

As has already been mentioned, Framing is never cheap. Personally I would disregard the advice about picking a frame based on decor of where it will hang or the taste of the recipient. People move, repaint rooms, buy new furniture, etc. You want the frame to look good with the artwork it holds. <period. For this reason I usually prefer to frame my own pieces or at least be the one to choose how it's done.

Overall I would say budget 300-400 for the painting and probably the same amount for framing. This will vary though depending on what style you're after, the experience of the artist (ie their going rate), and also where they live (cost of living changes people's prices). Realistic style work takes a long time. Also you have shipping to consider as has also been mentioned.

PM me if you'd like to discuss further/take a look at samples of my work. Given the extended time frame you're looking at I might be interested in taking on the project.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Long Francesco posted:

I work with watercolors and I think they are a good option. They can be just as striking as oils, and probably ship easier/cheaper as well.
Price for the work would still be in the $300-400 range for something that size.

Autechresaint fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Dec 27, 2016

hac
Oct 21, 2005

Autechresaint posted:

I work with watercolors and I think they are a good option. They can be just as striking as oils, and probably ship easier/cheaper as well.
Price for the work would still be in the $300-400 range for something that size.

Some of my work:
http://www.jeffspetprojects.com/index/

I really enjoy Simon, Zoey, and Wilbur. Nice work!

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

hac posted:

I really enjoy Simon, Zoey, and Wilbur. Nice work!

Hey thanks! Do you have any of your work online?

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I've been planning on advertising myself as a freelance video editor recently. Does anyone have any advice/suggestions on pricing myself? Also I don't know if this is entirely the right place to post this.

Asterios
Apr 17, 2008

So long, Skorpex!

https://www.presidentbaby.com

frozentreasure posted:

I've been planning on advertising myself as a freelance video editor recently. Does anyone have any advice/suggestions on pricing myself? Also I don't know if this is entirely the right place to post this.

I used to freelance in LA, and I charged $400/$500 a day. Any less and people will think you're lovely.

Unless they're poor, then just tell them you usually charge $400 a day but you really like their project and you'll work something out with them.

hac
Oct 21, 2005

Autechresaint posted:

Hey thanks! Do you have any of your work online?

Not really. Recent work I post on instagram @kmhack

Been meaning to get a website together for a while. Hopefully in the next few months I'll finally get my act together.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

hac posted:

Not really. Recent work I post on instagram @kmhack

Been meaning to get a website together for a while. Hopefully in the next few months I'll finally get my act together.

Squarespace is a good start. Very fast and easy to set up and there are all sorts of 'promotions' out there you can find to knock a few bucks off.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Hello! I have an indie game developer friend who is currently looking to commission some pixel art for the adventure game he's working on. I don't have a lot of information about the project, but he's looking for around 60 to 70 sprites that are "pretty small, res-wise: 50x50 and 15x25", in a fantasy style. This is paid work-for-hire stuff.

If you're interested, you can email him at Charles.Surmonte at gmail, or if you want more information for whatever reason you can PM me questions and I'll forward them along to him. Thanks!

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010
Greetings!

I'm a freelance illustrator and artist who occasionally dabbles in graphic design. I specialize in comic, cartoon, and conceptual illustration with an emphasis on science fiction/ fantasy characters and environments. I work primarily in pen and ink and digital media.

I am looking to pick up some projects for March and April (big or small)!

My Website: Wildjam Illustration
My Facebook Page
contact me by e-mail at wjameson@wildjam-illustration.com

Propitious Jerk fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 2, 2015

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

I'm working on a light fantasy board game that needs some enemies illustrated.

I'm not set on a particular art style, but I'm imagining colorful, very-low-detail but high-character art (like something you might get from a very gifted child with crayons). Flat or "splotch of color" type backgrounds would be fine. In the end, I'm targeting probably 15 different enemies, spanning the range from unimposing stuff (spiders? goblins?) to more threatening stuff (dragons? golems?). I'm not set on any particular enemy, art style, or setting details - the game just needs light, fantasy style enemies with some variety. I can give specific ideas here as required (and I'd like to be able to bounce some ideas back and forth) but if an artist wanted to make up their own nonsense enemies with funny names that would be super cool too.

My preferred plan would be to find someone that seems to have the right sort of skills and price (I'd want a flat fee per item) and then have an informal arrangement where I pay for art one piece at a time, as I get it. If it doesn't work out, for either party, you shouldn't be out anything. I'll pay you our previously agreed price for your "last piece", even if it's the first piece you've done, and even if I decide I really don't like it. For my part, the risk is that I'll pay for one item I don't end up using.

If this sounds like something you'd be interested in, drop me a PM (or email jmzero@gmail.com) with some sort of portfolio link and what you think would be a reasonable price per item. I'm imagining that each piece would be in the "3 hours work" sort of range, and priced sort of accordingly; again, I'm imagining quite simple/whimsical sort of results here. Colorful, fun, maybe even a bit doodly. This probably isn't a good fit for many of the wonderful illustrators I see posting here (and the requirements probably don't line up with the sorts of things people would probably have in their portfolio, I understand) - but I'm hoping there's some goon for whom this sounds like a fun project (that would also earn them a little money).

My plan is to eventually run a Kickstarter for the game, but I don't have grand plans for further publishing (so this isn't an ideal project if your goal is publicity). Obviously you'd be credited for any use that did end up happening, but it's distinctly possible the game won't get much beyond my circle of friends (so if that would be a very disappointing possibility, then this might not be the right project for you).

Edit: I've got a few fun looking responses that I've commissioned test pieces from - so I'm good for now. Thanks!

jmzero fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 12, 2015

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I need to animate a banner ad - all the assets are done it just needs to be turned into an animated gif.

It's a little cartoon truck that pootles into and out of frame and leaves a message behind.

PM me if you're down with a rough quote (which we can refine when I give more details). No rush on the actual job but I want to get a quote sorted by the end of today. :)

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy

fuf posted:

I need to animate a banner ad - all the assets are done it just needs to be turned into an animated gif.

It's a little cartoon truck that pootles into and out of frame and leaves a message behind.

PM me if you're down with a rough quote (which we can refine when I give more details). No rush on the actual job but I want to get a quote sorted by the end of today. :)
PM'd

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but here goes... I am looking to have a design made up that I can print on a t-shirt and then sell. (I realize that I would have to go to SA Mart to commission this, which is fine) I have the design all planned out and everything, I just lack the artistic talents to do it (well) myself. If I commission this, and have it done, would I then own the rights to the image? Would it be legal for me to print it onto t-shirts for purchase? Or would the artist that sold it to me still have the rights? Sorry if this is common knowledge, but I'm new to all this.

Also, do I have any insurance that when I describe what I want, that the artist wont just create it and sell it himself?

Edit: Google tells me that the artist would have to agree contractually to give up copyright, or create the image under a 'work for hire' employment situation. It also says that this is a rare circumstance. Is this something that I could have done? Would the artist even own any rights to the image if it's not copyrighted?

RCarr fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 30, 2015

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

I need a really basic 3D shape made in preferably .fbx format.

What I am looking for is basically a cat shape as if it were a gummy bear.

Flat front and back with some thickness to it as it will rotate in a cartoony shape. I don't need any details in it, literally a flat shape as if it were a flat cat shaped cookie.

PM me or email me at aaymont at gmail dot calm. I don't expect this is a hard thing to do, perhaps 5 or 10 minutes work for someone who knows how to use Blender or Maya or 3DSMax.

edit: Something similar to this shape

ModeSix fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 31, 2015

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

RCarr posted:

Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but here goes... I am looking to have a design made up that I can print on a t-shirt and then sell. (I realize that I would have to go to SA Mart to commission this, which is fine) I have the design all planned out and everything, I just lack the artistic talents to do it (well) myself. If I commission this, and have it done, would I then own the rights to the image? Would it be legal for me to print it onto t-shirts for purchase? Or would the artist that sold it to me still have the rights? Sorry if this is common knowledge, but I'm new to all this.

Also, do I have any insurance that when I describe what I want, that the artist wont just create it and sell it himself?

Edit: Google tells me that the artist would have to agree contractually to give up copyright, or create the image under a 'work for hire' employment situation. It also says that this is a rare circumstance. Is this something that I could have done? Would the artist even own any rights to the image if it's not copyrighted?

This all comes down to what is in the contract between you and your designer, which you and he/she would discuss and come to an agreement. If you don't like what's in the contract, or they refuse to sign one themselves, you just walk away and find some other designer.

There's basically 2 general routes here: the designer either includes full rights and ownership upon delivery to you of the finished work or the designer can license the rights to you for a fee/percentage. There's also a middle ground option I've heard of where the designer grants rights for use, but includes a clause where if you need alterations or edits later on in the design's life that you have to ask the original designer if they want to do it first. I have no idea if that's widespread or what, though. The way I always do it is in my contract, I ask for 50% payment up front, then I do the work and send you low-res versions for review/approvals. Once you approve the final design, I wait for the last 50% of payment at which point I transfer full-res artwork plus full ownership and rights. That part is in the contract. Some designers might bawk at this, but I have a day job and I mostly just do freelance for individual hobbyists who are making craft beers in their garage or whatever, so I don't really care.

Anyway, short version is that you get a contract and if you don't like what's in the contract, you get a different designer.

Also, you are more than welcome to comission jobs here in this thread. You'll get quoted higher prices than at SAMart, but designers here tend to be a bit more organized and "legit". SA Mart is mostly design contests which you'll pay pennies for but you'll get designs that people do as fast as possible to make a quick buck. In general, that is.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

ModeSix posted:

I need a really basic 3D shape made in preferably .fbx format.

What I am looking for is basically a cat shape as if it were a gummy bear.

Flat front and back with some thickness to it as it will rotate in a cartoony shape. I don't need any details in it, literally a flat shape as if it were a flat cat shaped cookie.

PM me or email me at aaymont at gmail dot calm. I don't expect this is a hard thing to do, perhaps 5 or 10 minutes work for someone who knows how to use Blender or Maya or 3DSMax.

edit: Something similar to this shape

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/107511/00%20-%20Freelance/catCookie.fbx

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

mutata posted:

Informative Post

Thank you very much for this!

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Amazing!

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Disclaimer: This is the first time I've commissioned something to be done, so if this is not the appropriate place for this please let me know and I'll edit this out and repost it in the right thread.

I would like to hire an artist to make a thing for me.

I just moved from Atlanta to Seattle, and I'd like a piece of art that I can hang on my wall that represents both of my "city loves" - where I came from and where I am now. What I would like is a sketch or drawing of the Atlanta and Seattle skylines merging together in a single horizontal plane (like the Seattle skyline on the left merging into the Atlanta skyline on the right). I can provide more details in a PM or in this thread, along with source photos.

Payment will be through PayPal (or whatever you want, I don't care) and I would be happy to pay you weekly for the time you spend on it to ensure you get a fair price for your talent and labor, just so long as I can see proof that the work is being done.

If anyone is interested in this, please let me know!

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 31, 2015

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I'd like to get something commissioned!

What I'm looking for is a brand name cereal box, but with the mascot replaced with a specific athlete (mostly the face). Also, some subtle changes to the brand name/slogan.

I will (attempt to) use this to print onto T-shirts, to be sold. That being said, I would require you to transfer full ownership and rights to me as part of the contract (as mutata explained a few posts above me).

I prefer to use Paypal, but if there's another method you prefer, that should be no problem.

Feel free to PM me, or email me at: Ryancarrr at yahoo dot com.

Thanks!

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Retracted

smallmouth fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 28, 2015

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

RCarr posted:

I'd like to get something commissioned!

What I'm looking for is a brand name cereal box, but with the mascot replaced with a specific athlete (mostly the face). Also, some subtle changes to the brand name/slogan.

I will (attempt to) use this to print onto T-shirts, to be sold. That being said, I would require you to transfer full ownership and rights to me as part of the contract (as mutata explained a few posts above me).

I prefer to use Paypal, but if there's another method you prefer, that should be no problem.

Feel free to PM me, or email me at: Ryancarrr at yahoo dot com.

Thanks!

You're asking for things the artist can't give you, namely: the right to the cereal box art, the rights to sell the athlete's likeness, and the copyright to the photo of the athlete. All of these are much more important questions than who owns the copyright of the final composite.

If what you're asking for is a completely original illustration based on the above, you're probably fine under fair use (parody). Still, it's weird to insist on complete ownership of copyright; just because that one hobbyist would be willing to do it doesn't mean most professionals would, and there's no reason you would need it. You'd cast a wider net asking for an exclusive license to sell t-shirts royalty free in perpetuity (IE with no further compensation than the original payment, forever). You could also ask for an exclusive license in all media, but that may be more expensive than specific usage.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I was looking for an original illustration, yes. I don't know too much about ownership/copyright laws, so I apologize if I 'm not asking for the right thing. I basically just want to be able to print the image onto t-shirts for sale, legally. I figured I would have to own the rights to the image to do that.

Grogsy
Feb 8, 2013

I was looking to get a personalized version of this for a friend, and was wondering how much it would cost.

I'm sure you've seen them around, some people have them as avatars. Apparently the original work was done by George Dawe. Digital versions can be found online in high quality and someone has been replacing the generals with celebrities and selling the prints (and other products)
http://replaceface.tumblr.com/

I assume he used to make personalized versions at some point because there is a link on his website, but I was unable to get any response. I've found his facebook page where people are basically asking him for the same thing, but with no response.

He actually seems to be getting a lot of personal and partnership requests, but does not appear to be responding to any of them which really is a shame. If someone offered such a service here I'm sure you would get a lot of requests as this seems like a fun gift idea.

Anyhow, I was wandering how much would a digital version cost. What kind of quality would it be (I assume it's based on the originals? What size would the print end up being?).
Also I was wandering if this is the case of taking a photograph and replacing the original, or is it painted in using different photographs as reference?

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

RCarr posted:

I was looking for an original illustration, yes. I don't know too much about ownership/copyright laws, so I apologize if I 'm not asking for the right thing. I basically just want to be able to print the image onto t-shirts for sale, legally. I figured I would have to own the rights to the image to do that.

Don't feel bad, and I'm sorry if my post came off as mean or condescending - it certainly wasn't intended to. Nobody expects you to be an expert in intellectual property law, and many professionals harbor misconceptions. I just wanted to help clear some things up for you!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

No offense taken. I appreciate the info, thanks!

wylker
Jul 7, 2009

This is not how I envisioned this working out.
Hi folks, I am looking for a 1 time piece for my Youtube page. Specifically a youtube banner, I have some basic guidelines but am open to creative ideas. I have had great success working with an animator I met in this thread before so hopefully I can find someone again. If you're interested email me: wylkersvideos at gmail dot com. I sent a few of you emails already, thanks in advance!

Radicals
Dec 16, 2005

What a coincidence! I'm also looking for a one-time logo for my youtube channel.

This is my first time asking for an artist's help and I have read the rules many times but am still unsure and nervous about loving this process up.

I only have a small budget but I am looking for someone to draw a logo of about 1000x1000 pixels that takes heavy influence from:

My mock-up design is here:

(See why I need an artist?)

I'm hoping someone can take some creative licesnse with it. Mainly I want it to have nice vibrant 90's colours... Whatever other creativity is needed to make it look easy on the eyes but interesting.

I'm not saying "Draw this and if I like it I'll pay you", no, I'm saying if this is something you're interested in doing, please flick me your portfolio and we can talk! :)

Contact me on; conrad_close27@hotmail.com

Thanks

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Dawncloack fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 26, 2022

Radicals
Dec 16, 2005

I just wanted to give a shout out to Team Lunch for their help getting me what I want for my YouTube channel (from a couple posts up).

Here was what I outlined;

And here is what I got;

As you can see, the lines are all wrong...Nah I'm kidding, it was a pleasure working with you and thanks again, it's TOTALLY RAD!

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
e: Withdrawn.

CascadeBeta fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 21, 2015

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
When you say you need someone to do inking for you, does that mean the penciling is already done? If so, how would you be transferring the artwork back and forth? Will you be physically mailing pages or scanning and sending digitally?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Phylodox posted:

When you say you need someone to do inking for you, does that mean the penciling is already done? If so, how would you be transferring the artwork back and forth? Will you be physically mailing pages or scanning and sending digitally?

I should have been more clear, thanks for letting me know. I do need the penciling done as well. I'll update my post with that.