Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

Mediocrity Goggles posted:

Well, seems what I have to do is register the japanese account as primary to actually be able to play the game I'm looking to get, so would paying for plus on the non-primary local account work for that?

You don't register the account as primary, you register the PS4 as primary console for that account. You can have one PS4 registered as a primary for multiple acccounts. Register your PS4 as primary for all your accounts.

"Primary" just means, that when you initiate a download via the webstore from your PC it will be donwloaded to your "primary" PS4 - that's really only relevant when you have multiple PS4s.

edit: yes, that means your japanese game can use PS+ features (online gaming, cloud storage); you might have to play it from your US account though, once it is downloaded
I use an EU and US account and play all games with my EU account without problem.

Dr Sun Try fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Mediocrity Goggles posted:

Well, seems what I have to do is register the japanese account as primary to actually be able to play the game I'm looking to get, so would paying for plus on the non-primary local account work for that?
You got it backwards, you're not making the account the primary one on the PS4, you're making that console the primary one on your account. Accounts share PSN+ access and purchases with any other accounts on their primary console, so just make them both primary and your main account will be able to play EDF and your JPN account will be able to play online.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

homeless snail posted:

You got it backwards, you're not making the account the primary one on the PS4, you're making that console the primary one on your account. Accounts share PSN+ access and purchases with any other accounts on their primary console, so just make them both primary and your main account will be able to play EDF and your JPN account will be able to play online.

Oh, ok. I wasn't sure about that part, just never had a reason to test it.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.
Ok, cool, makes a lot more sense now, just didn't want to have to buy more marked up yen cards than I needed to.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I'm fighting a guy in bloodborne he is pretty big gatekeeper looking guy big axe and one time he picked me up and crushed me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

:lol: I like that a message pops up now if you plug a Vita into the PS4 to charge it that says "this device is not supported". Believe me Sony, I'm painfully aware of that.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I was just remembering that it'll be 2 years this fall since Killzone Shadowfall came out. Guerrilla Games should be announcing their new PS4 exclusive this year, possibly ready for this fall? They work on a 2 year development cycle for games, or have been lately. We know their new game is an entirely new I.P. but nothing else is really known about it.

Just something to think about for those that are having massive anxiety about PS4 exclusives.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

NESguerilla posted:

:lol: I like that a message pops up now if you plug a Vita into the PS4 to charge it that says "this device is not supported". Believe me Sony, I'm painfully aware of that.
In general, there needs to be a way for computing devices to know when you've seen an error message so often that you see it in your sleep and stop showing it to you.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Would a 256gb SSD fill up rather quickly in a PS4? Do you have the option to delete local installations of downloaded games with the ability to download them again later (like steam)? TIA.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I said come in! posted:

I was just remembering that it'll be 2 years this fall since Killzone Shadowfall came out. Guerrilla Games should be announcing their new PS4 exclusive this year, possibly ready for this fall? They work on a 2 year development cycle for games, or have been lately. We know their new game is an entirely new I.P. but nothing else is really known about it.

Just something to think about for those that are having massive anxiety about PS4 exclusives.

Hold onto your butts for more pretty looking mediocrity :toot:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

VelociBacon posted:

Would a 256gb SSD fill up rather quickly in a PS4? Do you have the option to delete local installations of downloaded games with the ability to download them again later (like steam)? TIA.

That's half the size of the stock drive so yes. And yes to the second bit too.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

NESguerilla posted:

:golfclap:

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

I'm pretty sure SSDs are a waste in a PS4 anyway, so I dunno why you'd want one.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

VelociBacon posted:

Before you bite, look up some of the comparisons people have made for loading times between the stock drive and an SSD-- some games benefit more than others but across the board it usually only gives very slight improvements

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

its because he hasn't been reading the thread and can't otherwise google "ssd in ps4" and click the first result where it shows minuscule gains in loading time

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I've googled around but there is as much conflicting information as you'd expect.

Is there really a big difference in load times for downloaded copies vs from disc? I was under the impression that even if you have the disc it's just installing on the HD anyways?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I got an Uncanny version of a weapon from a Chalice dungeon, what's different about it?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

You'd literally be deleting poo poo every time you got a new game with a 256gb drive. I only do PSN games digital for the most part and erase my disc games when I'm not playing them and my 500gb are still perpetually almost full. You'd hate yourself for putting a drive that small in.

Couldn't he get a 1tb drive for less? I'd think that would be the way to go.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

I've googled around but there is as much conflicting information as you'd expect.

Is there really a big difference in load times for downloaded copies vs from disc? I was under the impression that even if you have the disc it's just installing on the HD anyways?

Yes, every PS4 game just plays from the HD, the only difference is that if its a disk version you need the disk in the drive to start the game.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

VelociBacon posted:

Yeah, there's not much difference since 90% of the game is running from the HDD on titles for the speed.

SSDs are a complete waste of money in the PS4 as the system is designed to accept data at a certain rate. The other hardware is going to cap your loading speed.

Buy a 2TB drive like this one http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...archPageIndex=1

You want a 2.5" HDD so it fits inside the PS4 case properly and that one's pretty easy to crack open (look it up on youtube) to get the drive out. The actual drive I linked above is the same model as the one the PS4 comes with except 4x the capacity.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

VelociBacon posted:

Yes.

Also since the OS and game designers can to some extent count on the arrangement of files the need for a solid-state drive is mitigated. There's some bonus for a SSHD (a drive with platters and an outsized solid-state cache)) but you only get one drive on a PS4 and making it a straight SSD doesn't give you a significant performance boost 95% of the time, only a "oh hey that's neat" boost the other 5% (not a "what was I doing with my life?" boost) and is a titanic amount of money to spend on video game storage.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

VelociBacon posted:

Get a 1 tb hybrid or a 2tb hybrid.

http://ca.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/PlayStation_4_Hard_Drive_Speed_Test_Comparison

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
According to this, Dragon's Dogma Online will be cross-platform for multiplayer. It seems like they're pretty serious about this game.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Okay so holding L1 to lock my firing position in Axiom Verge doesn't seem to be helping me die less. Back to my 2nd playthrough of Far Cry 4 I go! :shepface:

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
An SSD is a waste of time and money with a PS4, get a terabyte drive instead.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rad Valtar posted:

An SSD is a waste of time and money with a PS4, get a terabyte drive instead.

Someone posted earlier in this thread a 2TB drive for like $70. I can't find that deal anymore. I really want that drive, i'm tired of deleting and redownloading games. PSN is too slow for that otherwise I wouldn't care.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I'm not really a mmorpg kind of guy but I'm really digging final fantasy 14 a realm reborn. I'm currently only playing the free trial but I'm tempted to buy it.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

I said come in! posted:

Someone posted earlier in this thread a 2TB drive for like $70. I can't find that deal anymore. I really want that drive, i'm tired of deleting and redownloading games. PSN is too slow for that otherwise I wouldn't care.

That was me, here: http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Backup-Portable-External-STDR2000100/dp/B00FRHTSK4

The blue one is up $2 from where they were the other day but oh well.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

I said come in! posted:

You definitely want 2 tb if you do t want to delete anything, I have every game I own installed and I've used up almost a terabyte.

baram. posted:

That was me, here: http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Backup-Portable-External-STDR2000100/dp/B00FRHTSK4

The blue one is up $2 from where they were the other day but oh well.

That's the exact one I have it's great.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
And it's actually a Samsung drive inside.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

muscles like this? posted:

I got an Uncanny version of a weapon from a Chalice dungeon, what's different about it?

Gem slots.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Is anyone else having problems connecting to PSN? I just got a PS4 so it would make sense for it to be down while I'm trying to set it up.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:

RichterIX posted:

Is anyone else having problems connecting to PSN? I just got a PS4 so it would make sense for it to be down while I'm trying to set it up.

I just quit playing GTA online with no problems and I am now playing Killzone:SF:MP, so no. If that helps?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There are no 2tb hybrids that will fit, and the benefit of 2tb is probably much better than some slightly faster loading times.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

Aphrodite posted:

There are no 2tb hybrids that will fit, and the benefit of 2tb is probably much better than some slightly faster loading times.

Well that fit in the cage and then slide in nicely no, but you can make it close ish from what i recall.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Sprawl posted:

Well that fit in the cage and then slide in nicely no, but you can make it close ish from what i recall.

I'm pretty sure you recall wrong - I've looked before and found absolutely zero hybrids in the 2.5" form factor that go above 1TB. There isn't even anything that's 2.5" but doesn't quite fit. If any do exist I'd like to know about them. It's a shame, since in the 3.5" form factor you can get 4TB 7200rpm hybrids.

BreakAtmo fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Apr 6, 2015

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

To be honest I don't think I'd come close to filling even a 1TB because any game possible to be played on PC I'd absolutely be playing on PC. I realize that's not always going to be the case for other people too but I can't imagine someone filling a 2TB.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
I could, but my thought is, fill it up for the gently caress of it, download every psn+ title, including those that are crossbuy and installed even on another system.

I'm kicking strong at 172 gigs free, and I install everything I can, that I intend to play or have played. I'm still using my default hard drive and only have MGS5, Killzone, inFamous:second son, The Evil Within, bloodborne, and GTA5 installed for major releases.

Scyron fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Apr 6, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

VelociBacon posted:

To be honest I don't think I'd come close to filling even a 1TB because any game possible to be played on PC I'd absolutely be playing on PC. I realize that's not always going to be the case for other people too but I can't imagine someone filling a 2TB.

I'd probably be pretty close already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup

Croccers posted:

On the flipside, EA managed to launch a Battlefield without it or the servers exploding and being buggy for 7 months.

Me and my friends could not get over how smooth this game was on day one. We are so accustomed to having to wait a week for the kinks in multiplayer modes to be worked out we were seriously shocked at how awesome the Battlefield launch was. But...

VelociBacon posted:

That's because nobody played it so the servers aren't stressed.

Why am I so bad at buying games? I'm $120 deep on this game and it already feels dead. I've been playing a lot since launch and already I'm recognizing random player's names over and over because there's no one else to matchmake me with.

• Locked thread