Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Trig Discipline posted:

just out of curiosity i recorded ten minutes of rain falling outside and ran it through stutter edit and effectrix to see how it sounded. answer: terrible what was i thinking lol

paulstretch my friend. paulstretch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
contact mics own. i have a buddy way into japanese noise/found sound/ambient/blah and he has a couple contacts, pretty cool. got them on the rails of a freight line once

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Sizone posted:

You wanted to be more like the cool kids. It's o.k., I'm sure you'll get there eventually, you just need the right toys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTmOgB_1kuU

i assume the cool kids are listening to this ironically

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tayter Swift posted:

hey trig what was it you really liked a bout bitwig again, they're doing a cross promo w/ u-he but I'm not exactly finding logic all that wanting or anything

good things:
really neat automation and modulation stuff that lets you do stuff super easy that would be a massive pain in logic
if you have plugs that take midi/audio simultaneously, bitwig handles those seamlessly, logic makes them a bit of a nightmare
interface is way prettier to my taste
midi and clip editor ditto, and there's microtonal editing for the builtin devices which is cool as poo poo
they are updating it on a ~monthly basis so poo poo is getting fixed and added with a quickness
has a clip launcher view that is a lot like ableton's, but works really well as an old-school DAW

bad things:
no AU support yet (but they're supposedly working on it)
various flavors of idiot poo poo with sustain messages
seems to max out resources quicker than any of the more mature DAWs, but really only with some plugins (if there's a pattern there I haven't found it)
no video support
no time signature changes (tempo yes, but not signature)

as I say though, they are updating it constantly so it seems like a lot of the actual fuckups will get ironed out soon. i'm guessing the video and AU support will take longer. on the whole, though, I just really like the flow a lot better than logic's - it feels like it gets in the way a lot less often, and has everything you want exactly where it should be. even with the slightly screwy bits i much prefer bitwig to logic. i'm working in logic today, though, because i'm scoring some poo poo to video. it feels like walking in quicksand, creatively speaking

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

wayfinder posted:

paulstretch my friend. paulstretch.

oh i have stretched a paul in my day, believe me

it's all over this thing: https://soundcloud.com/danwarren/waiting-instrumental

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Apr 4, 2015

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
hm. The midi/audio blending is tempting, and maybe when Elektron finally releases overbridge I can make some good use out of it. Still it's like $250 and I do like Logic's built in stuff (the compressor in particular) and I have a lot of AUs I don't want to have to hunt down a VST for so I dunno

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
lately my workflow has been to prototype stuff in gadget, sequence on the analog four, record to my iPad or tascam then import to logic for mixing

this has nothing to do with bitwig really but :justpost:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
oh I forgot I get an extra $50 off for having a u-he synth so that drops it to just $80 more than Bazille standalone. Hm

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
fixing a juno 106 that had a bad vca/vcf module (Roland 80017A, very common issue), a clone is about 70$ but apparently the problem is in the epoxy they used to wrap the hybrid ceramic package. after a while it contaminates and you only need to let it sit in acetone until you can peel it off

so theres 6 of these chips and one has a stuck note, chip #2 and calibrating the thing i notice #1's vcf cutoff is sticking so i desolder both of these and after 48h in acetone i peel everything off and i solder them back on

problem fixed! i wait an hour while powered on and i recalibrate the whole thing, 20 minutes later #6 is sticking. im happy that its not #1 and #2 so i pull it and 48h later its back in the juno

i wait 4 hours! calibrate... then just right now #3 is acting up so I finally do the right thing and pull the remaining 3 80017A -_-

they should be ready tomorrow

ffs 80s roland get your packages game on fleek

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
man a buddy and i bought partially hosed up poly-six (him) and poly-61 (me) in like 99 and i didnt have the electronics chops to 100% fix them. god i wish i knew then what i know now, they'd be in pristine trim

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Trig Discipline posted:

i assume the cool kids are listening to this ironically

are you, are you talking poo poo about early download?

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

yeah you can make bank on that poo poo

im doing it for fun but its a 300$ job with all the work and most of it is waiting

hell replacing the 6 chip is $400 + labor

the juno, a cheap poly synth, is valued around $800 on ebay for WORKING AS IS units

80s stuff is usually a pretty straightforward fix

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hahahah gently caress i remember staring at listing after listing for 106 WORKS PERFECT for $350 back in like 01

:smith:
:negative:

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

buy a broken one, if its fixed note or stuff with the filters it has to be the 80017a, which even on working units WILL fail at any moment if theyre not decaped or replaced by a clone

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Tayter Swift posted:

lately my workflow has been to prototype stuff in gadget, sequence on the analog four, record to my iPad or tascam then import to logic for mixing

this has nothing to do with bitwig really but :justpost:

gadget is really really fantastic for getting music ideas down, most of the gadgets sound really good (though they want for complexity) so I've just been doing 90% of the work in gadget. it really really needs midi export though

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sizone posted:

are you, are you talking poo poo about early download?

i haven't heard enough of it to make any generalizations. does the rest of it sound like stuff the dust brothers left on the cutting room floor being played back in a public urinal?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
just ordered my first moogerfooger, the phaser

have a bad feeling it won't be my last

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i bought a bunch of minifoogers but they're at my mom's house back in the usa because mf wouldn't ship them to oz

they advertise that they ship globally now but it's a limited section of their inventory and never includes anything on sale

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Trig Discipline posted:

i haven't heard enough of it to make any generalizations. does the rest of it sound like stuff the dust brothers left on the cutting room floor being played back in a public urinal?

Man, that's a lot of jealousy over how they can make rain sound cool and you can't

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sizone posted:

Man, that's a lot of jealousy over how they can make rain sound cool and you can't

lol that you think that sounds cool

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i mean what i did in ten minutes in stutter edit also sounded like rear end but at least i had the self respect not pretend it was music and sell it to impressionable teens

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

ive worked on minifoogers and lol @ the build quality considering the price its seriously lovely stuff with a lot of overhead (especially the delay)

edit: i mean its ok stuff but youre better off buying mxr or other stuff for the actual same poo poo for $60-80 less

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Olivil posted:

ive worked on minifoogers and lol @ the build quality considering the price its seriously lovely stuff with a lot of overhead (especially the delay)

edit: i mean its ok stuff but youre better off buying mxr or other stuff for the actual same poo poo for $60-80 less

really? well poo poo

anyway i got them on sale for like $70 so if i don't like them i'll just flip them in oz for triple the price

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
hopefully the bigger pedals are better then

this things going to be working with my ms20 and analog four so cv is a must

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Trig Discipline posted:

i mean what i did in ten minutes in stutter edit also sounded like rear end but at least i had the self respect not pretend it was music and sell it to impressionable teens
there's always the possibility that people actually like it enough to buy it. i mean aphex twin has a career

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
oh i'm sure people like it, i'm just not very impressed with it. that and it's really entertaining me to make sizone mad about it for some reason

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Trig Discipline posted:

really? well poo poo

anyway i got them on sale for like $70 so if i don't like them i'll just flip them in oz for triple the price

ive never opened a moogerfooger before but i hope they are better

that said $70 is a good deal, here they are 200 canadian dollars

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

lol those things can't be more than $10 in parts

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

yeah well keep in mind pretty much every analog delay is based on bucket brigades and the front end is generally always the same thing

each one of these chips is about 200-250 ms of delay, and you chain them together, so 2 analog delay pedals with the same max delay time (800-1000ms "4 chips" are pretty common now) is most probably the same exact design or really close

which doesnt explain why the boutique one is 150$ more than a mxr carbon copy

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
Mostly cause that whole "moog" name.

I've thought about getting some minifoogers, but unless they were on sale I wouldn't buy them.

I've played with the moogerfoogers in the store, and I ihaven't taken one apart but they're built solid.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

well im just amusing myself to pieces listening to general midi files of popular songs

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
when I was just starting out making music on a computer i was using a 4 channel tracker and it was so frustrating that these midi renditions of songs with literally a dozen voices or more (real, non-arpeggiated chords without extra samples!) and sophisticated timing were not possible with them

but they sounded like poo poo to me even then

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

srsly the bar for making music on a computer is so gd low nowadays

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

theflyingexecutive posted:

srsly the bar for making music on a computer is so gd low nowadays

i started with audacity and a korg monotron

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I give up collecting tell me what VSTs to buy for my fuckin computer. I'll get that indestructible controller and use my iPad for everything else (wowfuck you safari for capitalizing the P in iPad)

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Berlin school trip report: kinda boring to listen to, fun as all hell to make

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I basically just recreated 2/1 from Music for Airports

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
by my math i can make a 'pattern' on the analog four that repeats every 51+ days

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

adobe audition's noise removal tool+spectrograph is the audio extraction tool i've been dreaming of for years

want a sample? just get some pieces of the song that don't have it
erase the leftover parts
loving done

its' not perfect but you're loving plucking bits of audio out of stereo mixed garbage, you don't get much more miraculous than that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Sizone posted:

Trig Discipline posted:

just out of curiosity i recorded ten minutes of rain falling outside and ran it through stutter edit and effectrix to see how it sounded. answer: terrible what was i thinking lol

You wanted to be more like the cool kids. It's o.k., I'm sure you'll get there eventually, you just need the right toys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTmOgB_1kuU

bam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lO3Y98rYhTo

• Locked thread