Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Geektox" snyped="443141421 posted:

Isn't the T5-not-i that camera that's barely better than a paperweight and the namesake of the Canon thread for a while?

The easy way to check this is to see if the camera has a label on it that says CANON.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005

Dren posted:

Doesn't even have mirror lock up

Mirror automatically locks with 2 second timer. Also live view is mirror lock up with exposure simulation.

http://www.dpreview.com/products/canon/slrs/canon_eos1200d/specifications

And hey, yeah its not the best Canon, but for $300 cant be beat.

Peechka fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Mar 24, 2015

JSW2
Apr 26, 2008
So, the last time that I saw the TCL-X100, it was $40. Now that Amazon has it for only $310, I'm wondering; is it worth it? I love my X100S, but 50mm is more natural to me than 35mm.

JSW2 fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 24, 2015

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired
a friend of mine has it and it's enormous. if you haven't seen it in person, i'd bet it's bigger than you're imagining it.

he's very pleased with it (got a good deal used though, 310 still sounds a little steep to me, personally) as far as i know, but it's definitely going to impact the overall portability/pocketability of the situation

JSW2
Apr 26, 2008
Yeah, paging through some reviews it does look pretty big on the body. The bigger concern is one said that it blocked a large portion of the OVF is that true?

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired
he says yeah, "like 30%" of it and "you wouldn't use it"

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001
The portion it blocks is mostly covered by the little popup EVF on the X100T :) If you want to imagine the size, take a little 50/1.4 from a 35mm SLR and hold it in front of the lens - it's pretty much that

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

This review has an image of the area it covers:

http://www.rileyjoseph.com/theblog/14018447/x100steleconverter

JSW2
Apr 26, 2008
It was just so drat tempting to get the 50mm fov. I placed the order, I guess I'll have a review of it next week.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I've been considering picking it up for myself, and the size has definitely been a factor. I'm looking forward to your review.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I've been debating between a WCL-100 for my X100S or the Oly 12mm f2 for my EM5 for a while now - I bring my X100S around when I travel so it'd be nice to have the extra option but I'd rather have the wider field of view of the 12. Going to be taking a lot of landscapes in Colorado/Utah in a few weeks and need to pick one. X100S is just more convenient without extra lenses but if I have my EM-5 then I'll bring the Panasonic 25 and Oly 60mm macro too. Whatever am I to do?!?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I got the only lens any X shooter will ever need:

I'm in the country for a few more days, if a like a couple (as in 2 or 3) people want one of these for like $105 shipped once I get back to the states, let me know.

KracKiwi
Mar 29, 2002

:byodood: well excuse me, princess!
I'm looking to upgrade to a better camera setup for use in Hawaii in May. Something good for scenary, pictures from helicopters, and maybe some wildlife. I'll have a GoPro and likely another waterproof camera for any underwater activities.

These are the cameras I usually take with me on trips (note that I've never owned/used a mirrorless or DSLR) :

-Canon PowerShot SX40 HS (use for zoom and 1080p video)
-Olympus XZ-1 (better quality photos)

If I could get some suggestions for a setup that could take higher quality photos on my trip, I'd really appreciate it! I would love a 5D Mark III, but feel it might just be too bulky and annoying to carry around.

KracKiwi fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 25, 2015

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

KracKiwi posted:

If I could get some suggestions for a setup that could take higher quality photos on my trip, I'd really appreciate it! I would love a 5D Mark III, but feel it might just be too bulky and annoying to carry around.

You didn't mention a budget but I suggest that you can look into the Sony RX100 III and the Panasonic LX100.

KracKiwi
Mar 29, 2002

:byodood: well excuse me, princess!

alkanphel posted:

You didn't mention a budget but I suggest that you can look into the Sony RX100 III and the Panasonic LX100.

Thanks! I'll take a look at those. Budget is flexible, I was originally looking to get a 5D + lens (instead of an incremental upgrade from what I currently have).

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

The TCL-X100 was priced at $40 before? Whaaat??? That's insane. Who had it listed at that price? Amazon?

I nabbed one for $250 CAD at Henrys a few weeks ago (looks like it's still $250 there) which I thought was a steal since it's pretty much listed at $350 USD through all of the major american online stores.

Also: it looks big in review photos, but it really isn't that bad in person. It does take up space in the OVF but you have to remember that with the change in perspective your frame shrinks as well so the effective blind spot isn't that big.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Phone posted:

I got the only lens any X shooter will ever need:

I'm in the country for a few more days, if a like a couple (as in 2 or 3) people want one of these for like $105 shipped once I get back to the states, let me know.

That is really tempting even though I already have the 23/1.4 and the 27/2.8 pancake. I feel like I have too many lenses as is and I'm not sure if I'll get much use out of this one. It's also not ridiculously small and cheap like the Olympus bodycap lenses.

How much do you like yours and how's the image quality? Would it be worth getting if I already have the aforementioned lenses?

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005

KracKiwi posted:

Thanks! I'll take a look at those. Budget is flexible, I was originally looking to get a 5D + lens (instead of an incremental upgrade from what I currently have).

If your budget was to get a 5D and lens, might as well get an a7and kit lens. Full 35mm frame sensor, interchangeable lenses, small and compact, great image quality. But those linked are awesome cameras as well.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
From small to large:
LX100
EM5+one of the 2.8 zooms
XE1+18-55
XT1+16-55 2.8
7D+17-55 2.8
5D+24-70 2.8

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I would maybe add the RX10 into that list since it's kind of like the ultimate version of the powershot superzoom thing. And for aerial photography I wonder if the lens selection should include a longer tele, especially if that powershot it getting any use at the long end.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

powderific posted:

I would maybe add the RX10 into that list since it's kind of like the ultimate version of the powershot superzoom thing. And for aerial photography I wonder if the lens selection should include a longer tele, especially if that powershot it getting any use at the long end.

If you're gonna consider the RX10, then you'll have to think about the Panasonic FZ-1000 as well.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
The NEX-7 18-55mm kit is $498 at B&H: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/817843-REG/Sony_NEX_7K_B_NEX_7_Digital_Camera.html

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I know I gush about it a lot but the quality of Fuji's kit lens is drat near criminal for what it costs.

Also I'm really happy with Capture One Pro, it handles the .RAF files way better than lightroom does.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I'm selling a Zeiss Touit 12mm f/2.8 in X-Mount here if anyone is interested.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Fart Car '97 posted:

Also I'm really happy with Capture One Pro, it handles the .RAF files way better than lightroom does.
I like C1, especially the color tools. I wish however that noise reduction was better (LR beats it easily) and that the vignette tool would expose more parameters to influence its look. Also, it cost me only 28€ thanks to Sony.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
What are my best options for a sharp, budget 50mm for my A7? Looking for something to use for copy work and landscapes, so corner-to-corner sharpness is fairly important. Bokies and speed, not so much (have an LTM Canon 50mm f/1.2 for that).

I've got an OM Olympus 50mm f/1.8 (the MIJ version) back home that I could get mailed to me, would I need to spend much more for a big jump in IQ?

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Pompous Rhombus posted:

What are my best options for a sharp, budget 50mm for my A7? Looking for something to use for copy work and landscapes, so corner-to-corner sharpness is fairly important. Bokies and speed, not so much (have an LTM Canon 50mm f/1.2 for that).

I've got an OM Olympus 50mm f/1.8 (the MIJ version) back home that I could get mailed to me, would I need to spend much more for a big jump in IQ?

any 50 ought to be fantastic corner to corner @ 5.6 unless it's broken.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Hop on Keh, and buy a 50mm that has your favorite letter in the mount name. I personally like the MD Rokkor-X 50mm, others enjoy the Pentax K ones.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
All 50mm 1.7 or 1.8 MF lens are pretty much the same.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

timrenzi574 posted:

any 50 ought to be fantastic corner to corner @ 5.6 unless it's broken.

Or the Canon 50mm f/1.2 :v:

Thanks for the advice all, I'll get the MIJ thrown into the next package I get from back home (also order an Oly adapter)

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Contax G 45mm :getin:

edit: kinda missed the word "budget" there.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Or the Canon 50mm f/1.2 :v:

Thanks for the advice all, I'll get the MIJ thrown into the next package I get from back home (also order an Oly adapter)

Hah. Ok - any normal 1.4->1.8 50mm ought to be sharp as you can wish for @ f/5.6 :)

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Any Fuji shooters here that do long exposures and/or landscapes with some combo of a polarizer , ND and/or GND? What sort of filter setups do you guys use?

I'm currently using an x100s with screw on CPL and ND10, but I'd like to get a setup that works with my X mount lenses so I can sell the x100s (can't justify having two cameras right now).

Ideally I'd have 1 screw on CPL with step-up rings and a square filter system with an ND10 and GND that work with all my lenses, but it seems like that may be hard to pull off. I currently have the 18-55mm (58mm filter) and 55-200mm (62mm filter), and eventually wan to add either the 14mm (58mm filter) or 10-24mm (72mm filter, leaning 10-24mm at this point for the wider FOV). The Lee Seven5 system looks like it would be ideal, but it sounds like it has significant vignetting on the 10-24 at anything wider than 13 or 14mm. The Lee 100mm system supposedly doesn't have any issues with the 10-24, but it sounds like the 100mm GNDs don't work well on smaller lenses like the 18-55mm (the transition covers too much of the lens). Are there any filter systems that can pull this off? Seems like there's no way around needing a separate G/ND setup for the 10-24 and the smaller lenses. That said, I could at least get a 72mm CPL that could work for all 3.

Any ideas for an efficient, flexible filter setup?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Splinter posted:

Any Fuji shooters here that do long exposures and/or landscapes with some combo of a polarizer , ND and/or GND? What sort of filter setups do you guys use?

I'm currently using an x100s with screw on CPL and ND10, but I'd like to get a setup that works with my X mount lenses so I can sell the x100s (can't justify having two cameras right now).

Ideally I'd have 1 screw on CPL with step-up rings and a square filter system with an ND10 and GND that work with all my lenses, but it seems like that may be hard to pull off. I currently have the 18-55mm (58mm filter) and 55-200mm (62mm filter), and eventually wan to add either the 14mm (58mm filter) or 10-24mm (72mm filter, leaning 10-24mm at this point for the wider FOV). The Lee Seven5 system looks like it would be ideal, but it sounds like it has significant vignetting on the 10-24 at anything wider than 13 or 14mm. The Lee 100mm system supposedly doesn't have any issues with the 10-24, but it sounds like the 100mm GNDs don't work well on smaller lenses like the 18-55mm (the transition covers too much of the lens). Are there any filter systems that can pull this off? Seems like there's no way around needing a separate G/ND setup for the 10-24 and the smaller lenses. That said, I could at least get a 72mm CPL that could work for all 3.

Any ideas for an efficient, flexible filter setup?

I really only invest in filter for wide angle lens. I have a 10 step ND filter
and 2 step gradual ND filter for the 14mm
https://www.flickr.com/photos/tinotino/tags/10stopneutraldensityfilter/

I also have a 2 step ND filter for my 35mm. I will get a 2 step for my 56mm. IMO a 2 or 3 step ND filter is good enough for a fast lens. I don't have any filter for the 55-200mm.

Circular Polarizer IMO is not noticable enough for me to bother.

IMO applying gradual filters in Photoshop is good enough for 50-70% of the traditional gradual filter needs. I use the gradual ND filter if tye dynamc range for the scene is too wide for Fuji's APSC sensor.

Funny I just replaced my 18mm and 35mm lens with a X100s.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 3, 2015

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm not sure if it's the 35mm, Hiroshima, or both, but I'm really impressed with the pictures I didn't import since I'm a big fat lazy head who's never used LR.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

whatever7 posted:

I really only invest in filter for wide angle lens. I have a 10 step ND filter
and 2 step gradual ND filter for the 14mm
https://www.flickr.com/photos/tinotino/tags/10stopneutraldensityfilter/

I also have a 2 step ND filter for my 35mm. I will get a 2 step for my 56mm. IMO a 2 or 3 step ND filter is good enough for a fast lens. I don't have any filter for the 55-200mm.

Circular Polarizer IMO is not noticable enough for me to bother.

IMO applying gradual filters in Photoshop is good enough for 50-70% of the traditional gradual filter needs. I use the gradual ND filter if tye dynamc range for the scene is too wide for Fuji's APSC sensor.

Funny I just replaced my 18mm and 35mm lens with a X100s.

Thanks for the info. Are you using screw ons for everything, even the GND? That's true about applying the GND in post as long as the scene's DR isn't too wide for the sensor. That's what I've been doing, and taking multiple exposures if needed for the DR. But lately I've been working on reducing the amount of time I spend in post.

I've been considering a square system for two reasons. First, to be able to set the split point on GNDs. Second, to able to compose and set the CPL, drop in an ND10, then shoot. Using both a screw on CPL and ND10 on the X100s, it was sometimes a struggle screwing in the ND without throwing off the polarizer setting.

I'm leaning toward just getting a setup that will work with my 18-55 (same size as the 14) and 55-200 (same size as the 23 and 56s), and worry about the 10-24 separately if/when I pick one up.

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
Just got back from a trip to Cuba, took most of the pictures with an A7 and 55 1.8. Holy poo poo. This is the sharpest lens that I've ever used. Pretty much every picture is amazing. I love when my equipment substitutes for skill.

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered
Any opinions on must-have accessories for an X-E1 + 18-55mm for somebody getting started? I've already got wasabi extra batteries and a charger, a 64GB SDXC card, and a USB 3.0 card reader incoming. Soft release buttons seem popular, for example. I was also looking at cases and half-cases, and was wondering if they're worth it and if so which ones people recommend.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I prefer some gaffers tape over all the metal bits as opposed to a case. No drop protection, but scratch protection and camera de-fancification all in one without actually increasing the size of a really well sized camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
On the other hand, a lot of people like having a thumb rest in the hotshoe, or a case that adds a bit more of a grip because it's a bit small if you have bigger hands.