Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Japanese, anything after Dark Signers is kind of sketchy except Satisfaction Town, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

paradoxGentleman posted:

So let's say that I wanted to check out 5DS.
Should I watch it subbed or dubbed? Are there any story arcs or seasons that I should be wary of?
Would it be acceptable if I posted my impressions of it as I went along, the way Beef Waifu did?

Subbed, watch it to the end of Dark Signers, then skip to the finale.

watch it subbed for this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D5uGBCqeiI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTg9N1WHmhY

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You should watch it subbed because Jack Atlas is basically Kaiba levels of amazing in the Japanese version.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

Should I watch it subbed or dubbed? Are there any story arcs or seasons that I should be wary of?
Would it be acceptable if I posted my impressions of it as I went along, the way Beef Waifu did?

Watch it subbed for this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfDZjxFjvD0

Do post impressions.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

paradoxGentleman posted:

Subbed. The dub is bad and not even in a fun way like GX. There's a full series torrent on nyaa.
Watch up until episode 64. After that, the initial plot ends and they just start making poo poo up. Bad character derailment for Yusei, Jack and Aki, tons of filler, really bad villains, etc. follows from there, but there's a few cool episodes still.
I would enjoy that.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
They do stop riding around on motorcycles at one point though, don't they?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They will duel, with their feet firmly planted, ON... THE... GROUND.

At times

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

K. Flaps posted:

They do stop riding around on motorcycles at one point though, don't they?

The second duel in the series is a Standing Duel. they jump between Riding and Standing, typically Yusei has more Riding than standing duels.

I am still shocked they did a series where the main card gimmick was something they could never produce.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Who's to say all of the Yugioh money isn't being funded to have motorcycles that we can play card games on?

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Beef Waifu posted:

They will duel, with their feet firmly planted, ON... THE... GROUND.

At times

Alright, I can deal with some stupid motorcycle business.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Onmi posted:

The second duel in the series is a Standing Duel. they jump between Riding and Standing, typically Yusei has more Riding than standing duels.

I am still shocked they did a series where the main card gimmick was something they could never produce.

I was really surprised they didn't even try to print Speed World. Speed World 2 in particular could've made for a cool alternate mode of play.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

K. Flaps posted:

Can you deal with flying stupid motorcycles?

VJeff posted:

I was really surprised they didn't even try to print Speed World. Speed World 2 in particular could've made for a cool alternate mode of play.

WCS 2011 had it though I wouldn't say it was that great.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

K. Flaps posted:

Trust me K. By the end of this you will be begging for more stupid motorcycle business and be mad when there's no stupid motorcycle business.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Xoidanor posted:

Can you deal with flying stupid motorcycles?

WCS 2011 had it though I wouldn't say it was that great.

Every Spell Card was also Gagaga Cowboy. It had its moments but a lot of decks that relied on certain spell cards just couldn't be translated into Turbo Duels.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Onmi posted:

Trust me K. By the end of this you will be begging for more stupid motorcycle business and be mad when there's no stupid motorcycle business.

I think we'll have our fill on stupid motorcycle business when THE KING makes his return. :colbert:

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Also about watching 5Ds, skip fillers if you must but do NOT skip episode 76, especially not the subbed version. It's my favorite episode of the series because it makes absolutely no sense but Jack Atlas' voice actor hams the gently caress up and the script seems to bow down to the ham. It's hilarious.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Jack Atlas is the best in the universe. Nobody else can defeat him

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I think my favorite thing about Tsukikage is that he feels like the most obvious person to kill off for drama, and the OP/ED have scenes showing him defending Reira which could be an easier way to kill him so someone more involved is motivated, so that all adds up into a main character that could actually die at any given episode. Any time something big happens and he's near it I can actually fear that he'll die and that's amazing. I know everyone else of the Lancers has to survive until episode 110 or so but a main character that actually risks losing is way more exciting.

Bless all the fodder that had to die to make Tsukikage rise.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Tsukikage will not die. He is fast and cool and strong and he knows ninjutsu.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Tell me one time that practical skills stopped someone from dying off a card game?

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
All the time. Ever heard of action cards? Geez.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
It's 4 now. When the hell is this draft starting so I know when to prepare?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Slur posted:

It's 4 now. When the hell is this draft starting so I know when to prepare?
Game start on 9 at your time, which is 5 hours from now, but you should come in now or 1-2 hours early at #adtrwdraft, so we can build our deck asap.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nyaa posted:

Game start on 9 at your time, which is 5 hours from now, but you should come in now or 1-2 hours early at #adtrwdraft, so we can build our deck asap.

Umm, how did I get there again? I don't think I've actually used that in my life.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Blaze Dragon posted:

Umm, how did I get there again? I don't think I've actually used that in my life.
Click on this link.

Fill in the box like this and click Connect.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Just starting Arc-V now. I'm sad that Odd Eye's pendulm upgrade has apparently robbed him of his proton pack sound.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
http://www.hitbox.tv/SlurYgo

It's beginning

Quincytbb
Oct 8, 2014

:laugh:

Are either of you going to be recording this? Im gonna be out to dinner with my family for the next few hours and it would be nice to see what i missed.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

So, I watched the first two episodes of 5DS today.

This vaguely dystopian class divide between Satellite and New Domino City is pretty interesting and not the sort of thing I'd expect in a card game anime. It's not really all that original, but it provides a nice backdrop for the action and gives people a nice excuse to be assholes towards our heroes, so I can't complain. There are some pretty scary implications in there: criminals get a microchip installed so they can be kept under control :stare:

Speaking of our heroes, it's made pretty clear by their bland designs and uninispired lines that I am really not expected to give a crap about anyone except Yusei. The only member of the supporting cast that has a name as of right now is that little thief girl, who stole an expensive piece of hardware but that's okay because it was to help her big brother figure win his childhood feud. A+ parenting there, sport.

Yusei gives me the impression of being an honorable, "serious business" generic sort of guy, which is serviceable but I get the impression I am going to get tired of at one point or another. He fights for his friends, he thinks all cards can be useful... there isn't really a lot to work with him, but maybe he will reveal inner depths and win me over later. My first impression of him is prudent optimism, with a side expectation of more.

Jack isn't nearly as hammy as you promised me he'd be; the worst he has done is snatch the mirctophone from the journalist and talk a truly enormous amount of poo poo. He didn't get a lot occasions to chew the scenery, to be fair, so I am reserving judgement. He did act like a tremendous rear end in a top hat, what with stealing his friend's work and running off to become a big star. If I was invested in Yusei I would find it very hard to forgive him. But our protagonist at least partially did, since he said to the insect guy "a friend once told me" and all that jazz.

What I liked the most were certainly the way the monsters act in this series: they skate, they growl, they attack with a a ton of flair; they are given a lot of animation to show off what they can do. Even the magic cards seem to influence the battlefield, even more than in Arc-V from time to time. I noticed that Yusei didn't use the effect of Junk Synchron once, but I imagine it is because people were still getting used to how Synchro Summoning works as of now, so they were trying not to overload the audience.

In conclusion, 5DS captured my interest but didn't make me fall in love right from the start. It's more than can be said by a lot of other series.

dang that was a lot of words.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

http://ygorganization.com/diamondisnotclash/

As a loyal Gem-Knight duelist, I have to say I'm quite excited by Gem-Knight Lady Brilliant Diamond. She's disgustingly good and can potentially get up to 12400 damage on a clear field with the right set up. I love it. :swoon:

And as a loyal Spellcaster duelist, more Entermage Trick Clown makes me happy. I hope Entermages get tons and tons of cards and Dennis makes a ton of appearances in the anime, I really do.

Vandar fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 5, 2015

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Dexie posted:

http://ygorganization.com/diamondisnotclash/

As a loyal Gem-Knight duelist, I have to say I'm quite excited by Gem-Knight Lady Brilliant Diamond. She's disgustingly good and can potentially get up to 12400 damage on a clear field with the right set up. I love it. :swoon:

And as a loyal Spellcaster duelist, more Entermage Trick Clown makes me happy. I hope Entermages get tons and tons of cards and Dennis makes a ton of appearances in the anime, I really do.

There's also this

Comic Hand
[Equip Spell Card]
Equip only to an opponent’s monster while you control “Toon World”.
(1) Gain control of the equipped monster.
(2) It is treated as a Toon Monster, and can attack your opponent directly if they do not control a Toon Monster.
(3) If there is no face-up “Toon World”, destroy this card.

“Comic Hand” lets you seize control of your opponent’s strongest monster, and instantly turn the Duel around!! Also, the later introduced “Toon Kingdom” serves as extremely potent Toon support with its effect, but it’s also a Field Spell whose effect treats its name as Toon World! It becomes super easy to break out a combo that drops more and more “Toons” onto the field!

Toons might be finally playable :swoon:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

It's still not enough. Toons are going to need a LOT more to catch up with the rest of the game, IMO.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

This vaguely dystopian class divide between Satellite and New Domino City is pretty interesting and not the sort of thing I'd expect in a card game anime. It's not really all that original, but it provides a nice backdrop for the action and gives people a nice excuse to be assholes towards our heroes, so I can't complain. There are some pretty scary implications in there: criminals get a microchip installed so they can be kept under control :stare:

Speaking of our heroes, it's made pretty clear by their bland designs and uninispired lines that I am really not expected to give a crap about anyone except Yusei. The only member of the supporting cast that has a name as of right now is that little thief girl, who stole an expensive piece of hardware but that's okay because it was to help her big brother figure win his childhood feud. A+ parenting there, sport.

Yusei gives me the impression of being an honorable, "serious business" generic sort of guy, which is serviceable but I get the impression I am going to get tired of at one point or another. He fights for his friends, he thinks all cards can be useful... there isn't really a lot to work with him, but maybe he will reveal inner depths and win me over later. My first impression of him is prudent optimism, with a side expectation of more.

Jack isn't nearly as hammy as you promised me he'd be; the worst he has done is snatch the mirctophone from the journalist and talk a truly enormous amount of poo poo. He didn't get a lot occasions to chew the scenery, to be fair, so I am reserving judgement. He did act like a tremendous rear end in a top hat, what with stealing his friend's work and running off to become a big star. If I was invested in Yusei I would find it very hard to forgive him. But our protagonist at least partially did, since he said to the insect guy "a friend once told me" and all that jazz.

What I liked the most were certainly the way the monsters act in this series: they skate, they growl, they attack with a a ton of flair; they are given a lot of animation to show off what they can do. Even the magic cards seem to influence the battlefield, even more than in Arc-V from time to time. I noticed that Yusei didn't use the effect of Junk Synchron once, but I imagine it is because people were still getting used to how Synchro Summoning works as of now, so they were trying not to overload the audience.

In conclusion, 5DS captured my interest but didn't make me fall in love right from the start. It's more than can be said by a lot of other series.

That thief is a boy.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

paradoxGentleman posted:

Did you know that Rally is a boy

^^^ Oh goddammit.

Quincytbb
Oct 8, 2014

:laugh:

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

There's also this

Comic Hand
[Equip Spell Card]
Equip only to an opponent’s monster while you control “Toon World”.
(1) Gain control of the equipped monster.
(2) It is treated as a Toon Monster, and can attack your opponent directly if they do not control a Toon Monster.
(3) If there is no face-up “Toon World”, destroy this card.

“Comic Hand” lets you seize control of your opponent’s strongest monster, and instantly turn the Duel around!! Also, the later introduced “Toon Kingdom” serves as extremely potent Toon support with its effect, but it’s also a Field Spell whose effect treats its name as Toon World! It becomes super easy to break out a combo that drops more and more “Toons” onto the field!

Toons might be finally playable :swoon:

Yes! I cant wait for toon support :swoon:

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

God drat it I forgot that Yugioh and Pokemon cards were different sizes. :negative:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

paradoxGentleman posted:

Enjoy that dystopian backdrop while you can because it's about to get really interesting, then a bit unimportant, then just vaguely used and then outright removed forever.

Yusei gets sorta interesting for a bit but eventually they double down on the "serious, fights for his friends, every card is good, friendship" elements and he becomes the most boring protagonist.

All that said, these first 26 episodes are some of the best yugiohs they've done.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I still can't believe Rally is a boy, he is like the most girl child character I have seen and the voice did not help.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

everythingWasBees posted:

God drat it I forgot that Yugioh and Pokemon cards were different sizes. :negative:

Lemme guess, card sleeve issues?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Beef Waifu posted:

I still can't believe Rally is a boy, he is like the most girl child character I have seen and the voice did not help.

They never even bother to explain why he dresses like a girl, either. It's just sorta there.