Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Hollismason posted:

There are a lot of problems as well especially in Louisiana and southern states, where now the course of action is to put these people with disabilities in nursing facilities. So you'll have a 25 year old person with a disability in a nursing home.

There are several groups now that are advocating for this to be changed and instead these people moved to managed group homes.

Of course the problem there is group homes are even less regulated (or in the case of Virginia effectively not regulated at all). Nursing homes at least operate under the auspices of an ombudsman's office and tend to get semi-regular visits from social workers, worthless as that may be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

William Bear posted:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-of-christians/

I really hope the Pope calls out members of Congress about trying to sabotage this when he comes in September. At least I hope he urges for peace and help for the poor. I just want to see regressive members of Congress made see a kind of Christian they are unfamiliar with.

Well most Republicans are protestant so they really aren't going to give a poo poo about what the Pope says barring the rare times he's politically convenient.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

:reddit: the two parties are like, the same, man. why even vote? :reddit:

Democratic policy has been the only thing between the poor and the poorhouse. Relative to the only other options in America, Democratic party is a veritable hand-out to the poor.

Wow, I love it when when limousine liberals talk like this. (not that MIGF can afford a limousine) As if the policies and benefits labor wrestled out of them were beneficent gifts, given freely and with a Christlike heart, and most properly received with grateful, wet eyes. It's no surprise working-class whites vote to throw those very benefits on the ground, out of spite.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

You guys should probably just stop responding to him, he's not arguing in good faith anyway.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

:reddit: the two parties are like, the same, man. why even vote? :reddit:

Democratic policy has been the only thing between the poor and the poorhouse. Relative to the only other options in America, Democratic party is a veritable hand-out to the poor.

Democrats are awful corporate sellouts just like the Republicans. They just happen to have sold out to a different set of businesses who's interests sometimes overlap with ours.

For example, I don't think all this talk about raising the min wage was caused by the Democrats being a friend to the working man. It's just sound business policy that will benefit any business who's consumer base is impacted by their customer's paycheck size. Republicans, on the other hand, are against this because the businesses they represent are more entrenched and make money regardless of how much people make (oil/chemical/tobacco companies).

JonathonSpectre posted:

God, this is one of the most infuriating things in the loving world. I have a libertarian buddy I've argued this with 100 times. A couple of years ago he went to an Objectivist conference where he heard the president of a moderately big bank speak. The dude straight said, "We realized that many of these loans were unsustainable and would eventually collapse, but based on the volume of them we were doing we also understood the federal government would have to take action and so our risk was non-existent, at which point we stepped up our activities in this sector." This, to him, is evidence that he is right. Below is a condensed version of his side of every argument.

:yum: :"Hey, you know who is responsible for crashing the global economy? Poor people. You know, the people with no wealth or political power whatsoever? What's that? Mountains of evidence of straight-up criminality on the part of lenders? Me hearing directly from the horse's mouth that bailout money was the goal all along and even the top guy knew that was the plan? NAH NAH NAH NAH NAH I CAN'T HEAR YOU IT WAS THE POOR PEOPLE!!!"

See also: The "millenials are lazy and entitled" meme.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Axetrain posted:

Well most Republicans are protestant so they really aren't going to give a poo poo about what the Pope says barring the rare times he's politically convenient.

American Catholics are a lot more conservative than their European counterparts, more similar to Evangelicals than them in ways. Francis is making a lot of right wing rear end in a top hat Catholics furious I think

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

icantfindaname posted:

American Catholics are a lot more conservative than their European counterparts, more similar to Evangelicals than them in ways. Francis is making a lot of right wing rear end in a top hat Catholics furious I think

White Catholics may lean to the right, but in comparison to Evangelicals they are moderate, most I know actually lean left on issues not relating to abortion, and Hispanic Catholics are pretty solidly democrats.

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

SedanChair posted:

Wow, I love it when when limousine liberals talk like this. (not that MIGF can afford a limousine) As if the policies and benefits labor wrestled out of them were beneficent gifts, given freely and with a Christlike heart, and most properly received with grateful, wet eyes. It's no surprise working-class whites vote to throw those very benefits on the ground, out of spite.

People who agree with me politically are smart, good, and even handsome. On the other hand, people who disagree with me politically sound like they're making fart noises every time they talk, they are fat, and usually play Xbox One.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

The Governator takes on the Indiana discrimination law and his own party's bigotry.

(I like how the thing he thinks they should be focused on are things that they deny even exist, or adamantly oppose doing anything about them.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Meg From Family Guy posted:

People who agree with me politically are smart, good, and even handsome. On the other hand, people who disagree with me politically sound like they're making fart noises every time they talk, they are fat, and usually play Xbox One.

:agreed:

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

You're forgetting the talking point where those banks were only giving out bad loans because Jimmy Carter forced them to.

Haha no but he did talk about Clinton pushing for everyone to get house being part of the problem. The bizarre thing was, he actually had great policies for his customers he was just completely ridiculous when it came to the financial crisis.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

This is anecdotal but Catholicism in the US seems to adapt to depending on the region. I know people from plains states and the south who have horror stories about their parish being focused on abortion and Republican politics. Meanwhile churches in the rust belt and northeast seem more focused on social issues like poverty, often without bringing in politics. The theology and overall rules are the same, but what's highlighted shifts.

Then there are cool groups like the Nuns on a Bus who really emphasize the social justice and political aspect.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Family Values posted:

The Governator takes on the Indiana discrimination law and his own party's bigotry.

(I like how the thing he thinks they should be focused on are things that they deny even exist, or adamantly oppose doing anything about them.

Yeah I read that and was like "Arnie what about the Republican party makes you think they give a gently caress about clean air or repairing infrastructure", although from what I understand he might as well just be a center right Democrat anyway.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Axetrain posted:

although from what I understand he might as well just be a center right Democrat anyway.

He pretty much is.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Atrocious Joe posted:

This is anecdotal but Catholicism in the US seems to adapt to depending on the region. I know people from plains states and the south who have horror stories about their parish being focused on abortion and Republican politics. Meanwhile churches in the rust belt and northeast seem more focused on social issues like poverty, often without bringing in politics. The theology and overall rules are the same, but what's highlighted shifts.

Then there are cool groups like the Nuns on a Bus who really emphasize the social justice and political aspect.

Based on this poll, 31% of (white) Catholics seem to identify as Republicans vs 29% Democratic and 37% Independent. I guess they make up a big chunk of the remaining moderate Republicans of legend

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 5, 2015

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

icantfindaname posted:

Based on this poll, 58% of Catholics seem to identify as Republicans. I guess they make up a big chunk of the remaining moderate Republicans of legend

http://www.people-press.org/2012/08/23/a-closer-look-at-the-parties-in-2012/

No, it doesn't.

As of 2012, 26% repub, 35% dem, 35% ind.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Axetrain posted:

Yeah I read that and was like "Arnie what about the Republican party makes you think they give a gently caress about clean air or repairing infrastructure", although from what I understand he might as well just be a center right Democrat anyway.

I can't imagine deciding to be a Republican because of Nixon, and not intensely questioning that decision as Nixon's presidency ended.

Also, what Austrian politician did Humphrey remind him of? :godwin:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I think I remember reading that a good chunk of Louisiana Catholics are registered Democratic, but haven't voted Democratic since Clinton.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Yeah I mean when an op-ed begins with "my first foray into politics was proudly choosing Nixon and I'm not going to mention any regret for that" the rest can probably be ignored.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
This is mildly anecdotal , but at a recent social organization and social change work shop I was attending the majority >50% were Enviromental Religious groups. Specifically Lutheran and Catholic groups.

I don't know what that says about the Catholic fundamentalism, but there's some clear divisiveness when it comes to all of the talking points of the Religious Right.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Research shows: the Obamas getting a dog did not change voting habits.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Bo is no Checkers.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

ThirdPartyView posted:

Bo is no Checkers.

Bo* is a bad dog. Bo likes to get up on the table and knock cereal onto the floor and eat it when no one is looking. Based on my experiences, I cannot recommend a vote for Barack Obama, because he owns a dog named Bo.

* My dog's name; not named for Bo Obama.

Pappyland
Jun 17, 2004

There's no limit to your imagination!
College Slice

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Bo* is a bad dog. Bo likes to get up on the table and knock cereal onto the floor and eat it when no one is looking. Based on my experiences, I cannot recommend a vote for Barack Obama, because he owns a dog named Bo.

* My dog's name; not named for Bo Obama.

I happen to know this Bo personally.  Bo has a tenacious personality and will not run away from a fight if another party tries to start one.  Based on my experiences, I can recommend a vote for Barack Obama, because he owns a dog named Bo.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Bo confuses the right because he is a black Obama that is Portuguese, not Kenyan, confusing their entire belief system. Bad bo, wheres the birth certificate.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Still totally legal to carry a working firearm on school property in Tennessee, but please no toy guns or swords.

This is a clear violation of the second amendment rights of Highlanders, sighing Reagans, and Renfaire enthusiasts!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Joementum posted:

Still totally legal to carry a working firearm on school property in Tennessee, but please no toy guns or swords.

This is a clear violation of the second amendment rights of Highlanders, sighing Reagans, and Renfaire enthusiasts!
No, see, that clearly just prohibits an imitation firearm, machete or sword. Real machetes or swords are legal.

The wording is vague enough that I bet that would be a legitimate challenge in court.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Please tell me the paper didn't neglect using "Bomentum".

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

What if it is one of those kits that make a .22 rifle look all tactical? That should be a "hoax gun."

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Joementum posted:

This fuckin' country.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
It's because he is black. If he had been white, Bo would have turned more voters.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Meg From Family Guy posted:

Tea party republicans are ISIS in America and the sooner the lot of them disappear the better for the human race. Shut up meg.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Joementum posted:

Working gun? Good to go. Permanently disabled gun? Nope, illegal.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

icantfindaname posted:

America, in general, is a more comservative nation than the European continent.

Its for our own good. Conservatism isn't incorrect from an ideological basis, conservative policies haven't been implemented in America since Bush I.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

SedanChair posted:

Well he's basically right when he says "Relative to the only other options in America, Democratic party is a veritable hand-out to the poor." The Democrats don't really give a poo poo about the poor, sure, but the Republicans actively despise them.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Joementum posted:

Congressman Huelskamp is mad about bullet bans. So mad that he's gonna ban the bullet ban... with bullets!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWdbqV_AICc

Take that, paper!

BACK
DOOR
BULL
BANS

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Your picture of the day:

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I can't loving believe we live in a world where Tom Friedman(!) gets to do an interview with Obama(!!) on the Iran deal(!!!).

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

ufarn posted:

I can't loving believe we live in a world where Tom Friedman(!) gets to do an interview with Obama(!!) on the Iran deal(!!!).

If Obama works a 'the next six months will be critical' into it I'll bump his presidential ranking above Lincoln.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Raskolnikov38 posted:

If Obama works a 'the next six months will be critical' into it I'll bump his presidential ranking above Lincoln.

"The doctrine of the United States cannot simply be, 'suck on this'." ~ Barack Obama, hopefully.

• Locked thread