Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

fatherboxx posted:

All the trailers make it look like a duller S1 of Arrow, even with a villain wanting to make the city "reborn from the ashes" (which is sooo not Kingpin, but whatever, let them roll).
Arrow turned out to be entertaining because it embraced the superhero comic book plotting and ridiculousness; if Daredevil really delivers on violence and fights it could be cool in a different way, but TV directing is a huge roadblock to that.

Got some nice hot sauce for you when you eat those words next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Rocksicles posted:

Got some nice hot sauce for you when you eat those words next week.

I'd love to! Daredevil is my favorite character and I really want to see a good version of him in motion.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
This is the second time I'll see Daredevil for my birthday.

The first time was pretty bad, but it was a passable distraction for me as a kid.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

fatherboxx posted:

I'd love to! Daredevil is my favorite character and I really want to see a good version of him in motion.

I think the Arrow comparrisons are going to be hard to ignore, especially with this season of Arrow going heavy on the ninja fighting but if Daredevil manages to keep the Man Without Fear retelling to the first couple of episodes and does it's own thing later it'll help giving the show it's own identity.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

jscolon2.0 posted:

I'd be shocked if they didn't just play it off as a gag.

"So you faked your death?"
"Nope. Really died."
"But how are you..."
"Classified. But nice to see you, Cap. You don't know what happened to my trading cards, do you?"

"What the hell happened to these? THEY WERE NEAR MINT, GODDAMMIT!"

[JOINS HYDRA]

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Lurdiak posted:

This looks like a real show instead of like a CW show, so it has that going for it.

And hey, it was filmed in NYC and not Vancouver or Toronto, so that has to count for something.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Teek posted:

And hey, it was filmed in NYC and not Vancouver or Toronto, so that has to count for something.

Counterpoint: Gotham is filmed in NYC. (It is nice to look at and feels very Gotham-esque, I'll give it that.)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Counterpoint: Gotham is filmed in NYC. (It is nice to look at and feels very Gotham-esque, I'll give it that.)

For all it's problems, Gotham is a very pretty show.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Yeah, it is kind of amazing how much better Gotham's Gotham City looks compared to DK and DKR, whose Gotham City looked pretty generic US metropolis like.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
In DKR they gave the gently caress up and said Gotham is literally NYC. I hated the transition from Begins to DKR with its wide shots of Gotham. Begins had CG'd a new city into existence for crying out loud. DKR was super distracting to me whenever they used those establishing shots.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I kinda miss the Philadelphia aerial shots from Arrow s1.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

e X posted:

Yeah, it is kind of amazing how much better Gotham's Gotham City looks compared to DK and DKR, whose Gotham City looked pretty generic US metropolis like.

DK's pretty not generic if you've ever been in Chicago.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I think being a bit generic is the point in the case of a morality tale like DK.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Arrow's good because it was the first time that you got really good writing, some good action sequences, and storylines in a TV Super Hero show. Unfortunately since it's based on a character that's not really well known they had a lot of leeway but it does actually feel like Batman-Lite and lately has been completely bogged down by the CWs shows tendency for just bad drama.

Seriously, they pulled the they have a twin trope. That's awful.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

At least we got The Flash out of it which learned from a lot of Arrow's mistakes.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Dacap posted:

At least we got The Flash out of it which learned from a lot of Arrow's mistakes.

Arrow seems to have made its biggest mistakes this season though, running side by side with Flash. It's like most of the talent from Arrow evaporated and then condensed over the Flash writer's room. My fear however is that a combination of WB interference and season 1 load blowing will make season 2 of the Flash a train wreck.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hey, a full season of a good show is a fine thing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They almost have to go Flashpoint to end this season, because the way the Flash is written it needs to constantly be upping the game.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Maybe they're just afraid of getting all their characters embargoed by WB once the Flash movie goes into production so they're going all out while they can instead of doing a slow burn.

Makes me wonder who they'd go for as the villain in the Flash movie. I feel like doing Reverse Flash would only pale in comparison to having 20 episodes of development on the show. Capt. Cold would be my guess for an iconic villain that could be done in 2 hours.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The CW model for most of their shows is to push the pedal down hard and move shows along at a fast clip.

Also Arrow has been fine, great even since the R'as show down. The first half of the season was aimless but not as bad as people say and I'm really getting irritated by the "Arrow sucks now" narrative.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

ToastyPotato posted:

It's like most of the talent from Arrow evaporated and then condensed over the Flash writer's room. My fear however is that a combination of WB interference and season 1 load blowing will make season 2 of the Flash a train wreck.

When the entire basis of your first season involves heavy time travel fuckery it makes sense to focus all their attention on Flash.

zoux posted:

The first half of the season was aimless but not as bad as people say and I'm really getting irritated by the "Arrow sucks now" narrative.

The first half of Agents of SHIELD was not as bad as people said and that didn't stop this thread from tossing shade wherever possible despite the two shows being dissimilar. If nothing else its delicious irony.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
The first half of Agents of SHIELD was loving hot garbage.

To be fair, so was the first half of Arrow.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Heathen posted:

The first half of Agents of SHIELD was not as bad as people said
Yeah it was. It was so DULL.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Heathen posted:

When the entire basis of your first season involves heavy time travel fuckery it makes sense to focus all their attention on Flash.

The first half of Agents of SHIELD was not as bad as people said and that didn't stop this thread from tossing shade wherever possible despite the two shows being dissimilar. If nothing else its delicious irony.

The first half of SHIELD sucked giant donkey balls, and it never actually got any better, they just started getting great character actors to devour scenery whole. The show is still really god damned dire.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Dan Didio posted:

The first half of Agents of SHIELD was loving hot garbage.

To be fair, so was the first half of Arrow.
I think people were expecting a lot more from AoS than from Arrow, which coloured the reception the first seasons got. Arrow got better quicker though.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Agents of Shield has always been a better show than Arrow. Better writing, better acting, better production values the entire time. The only thing Arrow has or has ever had over Shield is fanservice.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

greatn posted:

Agents of Shield has always been a better show than Arrow. Better writing, better acting, better production values the entire time. The only thing Arrow has or has ever had over Shield is fanservice.

You mean the traditional definition of fanservice, right? Not abs?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

greatn posted:

AoS writing could only be considered "better" if you consider super dull, safe writing "good". I'm thinking the people that love AoS and loved the bulk of the first season probably also like most primetime cop shows and stuff like that in general. Arrow definitely has HORRIBLE goddamned writing in it, but the stories it attempts to tell are at least a bit more engaging, and it never felt completely pointless (though the first half of S3 dragged its feet, with the flashbacks reaaally not helping in that regard.)

Actually having watched NCIS's and CSIs and a variety of other shows similar to that, SHIELD was really dull for most of S1. It didn't compare well episodic prime time shows, and it doesn't compare well to Arrow and Flash as a serialized comic book show. It doesn't even compare well to Heroes season 1. Or most of, if any, of The 4400. With regards to pacing and storytelling at least. The only intense episode off of the top of my head from the first half of S1 (or before the big hiatus, whichever came first) was the one with the Chitauri helmet virus.

As far as productions values, one of the criticisms in the first season was that AoS looked dull, visually. It was very flat looking, and even its action scenes did not compare favorably to actions scenes from other prime time shows, including Arrow. Shows like Lost and Heroes managed more atmosphere and visual style than the first season of AoS did.

AoS was an extremely generic feeling show, to the point that it turned off a lot of people. Arrow has been kind of dumb, but the show can be pretty entertaining despite its own occasional stupidity. I'd rather take a cheapish, some what dumb but entertaining show, over a dull, "satisfactorily" produced show that takes no risks. And then there is the Flash. AoS simply has no excuses at this point. It deserves the criticisms it gets, if not even more so.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

You mean the traditional definition of fanservice, right? Not abs?

The former, but I guess both really.

Also people over hype Arrow's action scenes. Some of it just completely laughable, like the minivan being chased by a drone in the first suicide squad episode with a missile with about as much firepower as an expensive bottle rocket. The climactic fight scenes like Oliver vs Slade in last year's finale are also pretty drat mediocre, not really up to the level of say, power rangers, a children's show.

Over in shield anytime May, Bobbi or Ward are on screen the action is golden. Even Clark Gregg has a couple of really good brawling scenes.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I dig Bobbi and Ward, but May's age really shows in her fight scenes. Her inability to stretch her hamstrings really makes most of her fights unwatchable. The fight with Scorpion was neat, for obvious reasons, but the fight against herself looked like a couple of geriatric street fighters.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

omg chael crash posted:

but the fight against herself looked like a couple of geriatric street fighters.
The slo-mo faceslam-into-the-table was pretty sweet, though.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

It's weird how May has had both some of the best and worst fight scenes on the show. Also, some of Bobbi's fight scenes are pretty cringe worthy, mostly when they have her actress actually try to throw a kick.

greatn posted:

The former, but I guess both really.

Also people over hype Arrow's action scenes. Some of it just completely laughable, like the minivan being chased by a drone in the first suicide squad episode with a missile with about as much firepower as an expensive bottle rocket. The climactic fight scenes like Oliver vs Slade in last year's finale are also pretty drat mediocre, not really up to the level of say, power rangers, a children's show.

Over in shield anytime May, Bobbi or Ward are on screen the action is golden. Even Clark Gregg has a couple of really good brawling scenes.

Arrow definitely has scenes where they clearly don't have the budget to do the ideas they come up with. The final fight with Slade at the end of S2 was anticlimactic as gently caress. But the show is pretty liberal with the amount of action in general per episode.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I wouldn't have said this last year, but SHIELD is definitely a better show than either Arrow or Flash this year. And consistently so. Flash may have bigger straight out of a comic moments on the show but the rest of the show is so inconsistently written that it's not even really close. Plus besides it's stuntcasting for like the Rogues and Trickster and such it has the knack for picking the worst actors possible for villains. Arrow this season has been a bit frenetic, especially early on, but once Ra's came into the picture the season finally gelled and it's been really good since then. Flash will be a great show too, but right now it's deflecting attention from many of its very obvious and large flaws by giving people a ton of straight comic book action and by having three really good actors at the head of the show in Gustin, Cavanaugh, and Martin.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

greatn posted:

This is only true for the second season and the very tail-end of the first. Even a lot of May's action sequences in the first season were cheap-looking and unsatisfying.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Arrows non fight action scenes are generally much better than their fighting ones. Like last weeks police chase was great. Probably why the action on Flash is so much better overall because it isn't particularly focused on fighting.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
:psyduck: Again, I don't understand what show you're watching to to end up with these opinions. The Solomon Grundy fights of s2 were fantastic. The sequences on the flashback Amazo looked amaz...ing. Oliver vs Nyssa that first time around was great. Even Oliver and Sara against a bunch of unmemorable mooks made for very memorable scenes.

There were some duds, but Arrow was -- and in most respects, still remains -- the show to watch if you wanted some satisfying fighting.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

SHIELD doesn't do a ton of fight scenes but when they do they're very high caliber. Arrow does really good fight scenes consistently. They're not the best on TV, that goes to Banshee, but they're probably the most consistently good fights on TV since Nikita. They're not quite as good as Nikita, but they're close.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Deadpool posted:

SHIELD doesn't do a ton of fight scenes but when they do they're very high caliber. Arrow does really good fight scenes consistently. They're not the best on TV, that goes to Banshee, but they're probably the most consistently good fights on TV since Nikita. They're not quite as good as Nikita, but they're close.
Christ, most movies don't even compare to Banshee.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Deadpool posted:

I wouldn't have said this last year, but SHIELD is definitely a better show than either Arrow or Flash this year. And consistently so. Flash may have bigger straight out of a comic moments on the show but the rest of the show is so inconsistently written that it's not even really close. Plus besides it's stuntcasting for like the Rogues and Trickster and such it has the knack for picking the worst actors possible for villains. Arrow this season has been a bit frenetic, especially early on, but once Ra's came into the picture the season finally gelled and it's been really good since then. Flash will be a great show too, but right now it's deflecting attention from many of its very obvious and large flaws by giving people a ton of straight comic book action and by having three really good actors at the head of the show in Gustin, Cavanaugh, and Martin.

SHIELD is more consistent than Arrow and Flash, but I still maintain that the overall writing is not necessary better. The pacing of SHIELD is much worse to me, and that is a weakness of writing. Also, while SHIELD is more consistent, I definitely do not thing that its has higher peaks than Arrow or Flash have had, even this season. All three shows suffer from writing problems, but SHIELD's problems are magnified since they rarely throw the audience any other bones like Arrow and Flash does.

The story line this season, especially since returning from the break, could have probably been a couple of episodes shorter than it has been so far. I wouldn't say that Arrow and Flash could possibly be more compressed, outside of a lot of the S3 Arrow flashbacks, I guess. The second SHIELD thing is interesting and I am interested in seeing where it goes, likewise, the weird Inhuman stuff, but there really doesn't seem to be any benefit for me, as an audience member, in them dragging things out the way they do. Lost dragged things out too, but for the most part, the ride was worth it. The episode with the four random villains doing nothing was a huge waste of time, and the episode immediately after that probably could have been significantly condensed. Last ep was cool though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

People keep overhyping SHIELD episodes so when i get around to watching them they're always disappointing.

Like it has had some good episodes this season, but last week's was pretty dull. I saw everyone saying how great it was before I watched, but it was nothing special.