Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Bandanna posted:

Green Arrow doesn't do all that much archery these days.

I always thought his fighting style should be based on throws and rapid disabling moves so he can quickly get another arrow nocked, like... bow kata. Making him default to fairly generic martial artist choreography like everyone else has always been a minor but persistent pet peeve of mine.

But at the very least, when most of the people you come across can deflect or grab arrows out of midair maybe break out the flashbang and bola arrows more often, Ollie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sounds like he only ever read Identity Crisis.

Also hasn't Joe Mangiliano from True Blood been cast ad 'stroke in the SS film?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's hard to keep track of which casting news is a rumor and which is official.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

McSpanky posted:

I always thought his fighting style should be based on throws and rapid disabling moves so he can quickly get another arrow nocked, like... bow kata. Making him default to fairly generic martial artist choreography like everyone else has always been a minor but persistent pet peeve of mine.

But at the very least, when most of the people you come across can deflect or grab arrows out of midair maybe break out the flashbang and bola arrows more often, Ollie.

Yeah, I agree. An archer should never choose to engage opponents in melee except as a last resort. I'd love to see him kite his opponents more by preparing the battlefield in advance with traps and distractions that slow down and disable opponents so he can shoot them with arrows.

Close-quarters combat isn't his strong suit, and despite the decent choreography, it's fairly generic and doesn't help distinguish the character.

Slow News Day fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Apr 5, 2015

overtone
Jul 26, 2001
t(o_ot)

enraged_camel posted:

Yeah, I agree. An archer should never choose to engage opponents in melee except as a last resort. I'd love to see him kite his opponents more by preparing the battlefield in advance with traps and distractions that slow down and disable opponents so he can shoot them with arrows.

Close-quarters combat isn't his strong suit, and despite the decent choreography, it's fairly generic and doesn't help distinguish the character.

That would be cool, but does Arrow ever enter into a battle with prepared traps? It worked with The Flash but that was a one time thing.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
He's more about trick arrows than traps but it'll be interesting to see how he deals with a metahuman that isn't Barry.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Rhyno posted:

During the One Year Later arc (from which the show drew a lot of material) Ollie was revealed to have retrained himself and was now carrying a sword, just like Robin Hood. I kind of wish they'd incorporate that into the show.

I think escrima sticks like Roy uses would make a lot of sense. He's obviously had a lot of training with them, and he could just have them strapped to the sides of his legs. Or at least a telescoping baton, or something. It really doesn't make sense if he has the compact/telescoping bow. Push a button, the bow starts to compact, with his free hand he grabs one of his escrima sticks, when the bow is compacted he puts it away, draws the other stick.

I'm probably just overthinking it. I know it's supposed to be made of super high tech stuff, but bows are really fragile. One crack or stress fracture, and it's basically a ticking bomb waiting to go off when you draw it back. Just makes sense that he'd try to protect it more.

The Question IRL posted:

I am trying to look up the quote, but it's from Season 1 of the show. I think it's the episode with Vertigo, but Ollie is unable to use his Bow for a confrontation with some bad dudes. Diggle asks him what he will do. And Ollie just says

"People make the mistake of thinking that the Bow is my only weapon.
I AM the weapon!"
Oh, I know. Ollie can definitely handle himself without the bow. But sometimes he NEEDS it. Like a getaway arrow or flash arrow or whatever.

10 Beers fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 5, 2015

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Clearly what Ollie needs is a bow that splits into two swords, like Pit from Kid Icarus. That way he can shoot people and then use his swords in close combat, maybe get stabbed and thrown off a cliff again.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Clearly what Ollie needs is a bow that splits into two swords, like Pit from Kid Icarus. That way he can shoot people and then use his swords in close combat, maybe get stabbed and thrown off a cliff again.

Or a bow that splits into two bows so he can shoot twice as many people at once.

Yo dawg we heard you like bows...

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

enraged_camel posted:

Oil slick arrow! Glue trap arrow! Ball bearing arrow! Take that, criminals!

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
All he needs is sword arrows

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
So the reason Deathstroke will not be appearing on Arrow again probably has nothing to do with Manu not liking what is happening with the character and everything to do with DC wanting him played by a different actor of course (you know despite the fact that Manu was probably one of the better parts of the Hobbit Trilogy) in the loving Suicide Squad Movie. This also makes me realize that the Flash show isn't going to have a fourth season.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 5, 2015

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Why wouldn't Flash have a fourth season?

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

I'm really starting to have it in for that damned Suicide Squad movie.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Deakul posted:

There is a flash movie coming in 2018.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Deakul posted:

A bunch of side characters (and maybe Deathstroke, whose plot has ended anyway) introduced into Arrow to pad out some episodes will no longer be showing up due to the Suicide Squad movie. Since this is SA, ridiculous hyperbole has propagated to the point that people are honestly under the assumption that the CW would cancel The Flash because DC is coming out with a Flash movie.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Deakul posted:

Because of this conspiracy theory I just made up.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Crowsbeak posted:

There is a flash movie coming in 2018.

Yes, so?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Habibi posted:

Yes, so?

They took out 2 minor characters from Arrow just because a movie centered around them was coming out. Imagine what they'd do to an entire series.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Scyantific posted:

They took out 2 minor characters from Arrow just because a movie centered around them was coming out. Imagine what they'd do to an entire series.

They tore down a house in Williamsburg just because the new owners didn't like it. Imagine what they'd do to the Empire State Building.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They also had Superman on TV at the same time as Superman was in a movie.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Aphrodite posted:

They also had Superman on TV at the same time as Superman was in a movie.

You mean the red blue blur TV series

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
That show was about Clark Kent, not superman. For one thing Superman doesn't wear glasses, but Clark Kent does in two or three scenes in the series.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The movie was also not about Superman.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

It's not an MMO

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Aphrodite posted:

The movie was also not about Superman.

Wrong movie you're thinking of.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

They're not going to cancel Flash. Quit being dumb. But also don't dismiss the idea that certain things on the show will change as the movie draws closer because they probably will as we're seeing it play out the same way on Arrow now. Will Flash go away? No. But side characters that appear elsewhere might.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Scyantific posted:

Probably leave it alone unless it was dying with viewers? People aren't going to stop watching the show because the movie comes out, and they're not going to not watch the movie because the show is still on.

In fact, some might say...you'd get the reverse.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Habibi posted:

Probably leave it alone unless it was dying with viewers? People aren't going to stop watching the show because the movie comes out, and they're not going to not watch the movie because the show is still on.

I mean, never underestimate DC's power to make the stupid choice, but yeah Flash isn't going anywhere.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They'll just kill off Barry and season 5-on will be about Wally.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Habibi posted:

I, for one, don't plan on seeing any of the new DC movies if they're really going to let Zack Snyder be in charge of the heavy lifting with the Justice League movies.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Deakul posted:

I, for one, don't plan on seeing any of the new DC movies if they're really going to let Zack Snyder be in charge of the heavy lifting with the Justice League movies.

Yeah, but your decision isn't affected to any measure by the show. Maybe your mind might even be changed if the show continues to kick rear end and they figure some way to generate a few tie-ins?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Deakul posted:

My problem isn't with Snyder, it's with Goyer. Snyder is a fine director for a spectacle if you can get past the muted colors that make everything lifeless. Goyer is the worst though and the fact that he's DC's architect for their movie universe is a great example of my previous point about DC making the stupid choice. Any DC movies that turn out good will turn out good in spite of Goyer, not because of him.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Yeah, just a reminder that Goyer was the one who said She-Hulk only existed to give the Hulk someone to gently caress. Ignoring the fact that those two characters are cousins, of course.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Deadpool posted:

My problem isn't with Snyder, it's with Goyer. Snyder is a fine director for a spectacle if you can get past the muted colors that make everything lifeless. Goyer is the worst though and the fact that he's DC's architect for their movie universe is a great example of my previous point about DC making the stupid choice. Any DC movies that turn out good will turn out good in spite of Goyer, not because of him.

This, Goyer is a hack and really needs to be dropped ASAP if DC is going to have a chance.

Phylodox posted:

Yeah, just a reminder that Goyer was the one who said She-Hulk only existed to give the Hulk someone to gently caress. Ignoring the fact that those two characters are cousins, of course.

Oh hey I forgot about that horrible quote. gently caress that guy.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Phylodox posted:

:stare:

O...k... then.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

I completely believe current DC management is that stupid. They wouldn't let Arrow use freakin Ted Kord because of comics bullshit. No one but super nerds even know who Ted Kord is.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
You know I think I understand why Manu may be kind of bitter, I mean well I liked that Slade episode this really is a lovely way to leave the character. But then thats DC's fault. Even worse is that despite Manu being a very good action star the articles I have read don't even mention him as up for consideration. In such a situation I would be kind of steamed.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

ashez2ashes posted:

I completely believe current DC management is that stupid. They wouldn't let Arrow use freakin Ted Kord because of comics bullshit. No one but super nerds even know who Ted Kord is.

It wasn't even about Ted Kord, DC management read one book about how to get ahead in the corporate world and are all convinced they'll get called up to the big leagues if they seem "take charge" enough so they run in show how in charge they are by saying no to stuff and run back to their office waiting for the phone call that puts them in charge of the WB entertainment division.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

So there was a Flash panel at Wonder-Con this weekend, but some of the stuff that came out of it has to do with Arrow http://dctvuniverse.com/2015/04/huge-flash-news-from-wondercon-2015/

Seems like Cisco will be outfitting Laurel with some cool gear, including something to give her the Canary Cry, and HIVE will in fact be a major force during the next season (which may have something to do with the appearance of Killer Frost in the future on Flash)

Also, Stephen Amell dropped a hint that Diggle may in fact be suiting up in the future (No, not Green Lantern).

• Locked thread