Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Axeface posted:

What the heck movie is this?

Haxan. it loving rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

spaceships posted:

i would just like to say that justine tunney owns.

Well, she'd like to own

human beings as property, so

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Also, this bunny really bothers me. Those eyes.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Your boy is out the hospital now and things seem to be going ok. Only problem is I got a big axe wound in my chest and I'm not strong enough to open the pills I was prescribed. Whoops! Someone bought me a non-busted office chair, though, so there's that.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado

Jack Gladney posted:

Well, she'd like to own

human beings as property, so

wanna come vape and talk about how poor people are bad and how anyone who doesn't work in the tech industry is a loser and a leech on society

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Watching Fast 5 in Italian with my girlfriend's family plus my twelve billionth throat infection is finally getting better so this evening is pretty great.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Rumors on Twitter suggest that Showtime has dropped the Twin Peaks revival.

e: congrats on still being alive, Anonymous Robot.

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 5, 2015

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Slate Action posted:

gently caress.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Anonymous Robot posted:

Your boy is out the hospital now and things seem to be going ok. Only problem is I got a big axe wound in my chest and I'm not strong enough to open the pills I was prescribed. Whoops! Someone bought me a non-busted office chair, though, so there's that.

I'm glad my boy is doing ok.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Anonymous Robot posted:

I'm really glad to see you back.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Slate Action posted:

Motherfucker

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Good thing they announced it before they had it all set

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Jack Gladney posted:

Was it meant to be funny or was it meant to paper over a problem with the script?

It's a joke at the expense of the characters, showing them to be tremendously creepy and further establishing that both driver guy and Dad Wahlberg imagine themselves as competing for possession of Dad Wahlberg's daughter.

It's also a joke that works off the idea that something being technically legal isn't a particularly compelling justification of something, which thematically fits in a movie where (one of the tribes of) the bad guys are some sort of clandestine government operative group doing stuff that would presumably be illegal for anyone else to do.

e: I guess that doesn't really answer whether or not it's meant to be funny, but it's definitely a joke that fits within the themes and narrative of the movie.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Slate Action posted:

I knew it was too good to be true :(

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Here's the tweet

https://twitter.com/brad_d_/status/584806476407033856

This guy wrote a Twin Peaks book, and that's about it. I'm not 100% sure I trust it yet. I need more to go on then someone's word.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

CelticPredator posted:

Here's the tweet

https://twitter.com/brad_d_/status/584806476407033856

This guy wrote a Twin Peaks book, and that's about it. I'm not 100% sure I trust it yet. I need more to go on then someone's word.

Still not concrete proof, but:

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Anonymous Robot posted:

Congratulations on your new Betamax player.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

MisterBibs posted:

Having read a book in which a few of the stories were focused on the end of WW2, I'm curious: is Downfall good enough to find a copy of?

Hell yes.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

I'm surprised more people haven't said the same so I'll just second it again. Definitely watch Downfall.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I just rewatched The Proposition with my father and he loved it. My parents have a great taste in movies.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Rewatching Jurassic Park because I only saw it as a kid when I didn't think about movies, and it's so brazenly about filmmaking and special effects I can't even believe it. This Spielberg guy is onto something.

Like the third scene in the film has a lovely 90s computer generating models of dinosaurs while a guy talks about how soon we won't even need to do anything practical at all. The film presents filmmaking or artistry as like excavating a landscape which is a pretty rad way of looking at it.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Hbomberguy posted:

Rewatching Jurassic Park because I only saw it as a kid when I didn't think about movies, and it's so brazenly about filmmaking and special effects I can't even believe it. This Spielberg guy is onto something.

Like the third scene in the film has a lovely 90s computer generating models of dinosaurs while a guy talks about how soon we won't even need to do anything practical at all. The film presents filmmaking or artistry as like excavating a landscape which is a pretty rad way of looking at it.

It's also just about the act of creation and life in general. Hammond sees Jurassic Park as a masterpiece and his life's work. Your projects, your children take on lives of their own and they cannot be contained or owned. It's not so much about filmmaking per se as it is about creating and the wonder, awe, and terror that comes with it.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Oh yeah, there's all the stuff about children just in the first few minutes.

Which ties into the filmmaking stuff too, considering how legendarily lovely working with kids can be. I will never put children in my films and also never have kids. gently caress em.

Holy poo poo he ties the female ends of the seatbelts together holy poo poo

Hbomberguy fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 5, 2015

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

Hbomberguy posted:

Oh yeah, there's all the stuff about children just in the first few minutes.

Which ties into the filmmaking stuff too, considering how legendarily lovely working with kids can be. I will never put children in my films and also never have kids. gently caress em.

Holy poo poo he ties the female ends of the seatbelts together holy poo poo

Uh, well, there it is. Safety procedures, uh... find a way.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

I missed the nineties, I was too busy being retarded or whatever idiot kids do. What is this magical place where blockbusters are great?!

e: Now he's just got them sitting in a fuckin' movie theatre! Steve, stop it! Stop being about things!

Hbomberguy fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 5, 2015

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
It still exists... In your heart

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i'm watching the Passion of the Christ because it's Easter and i've never seen it and apart from all the poo poo about it that's hella problematic i actually kinda like it.

happy Easter, everybody

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lTMCQGKyhE

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Apocalypto is the same way. It's too bad he's a horrible person.

Edit:

morestuff fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 6, 2015

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Happy Easter

However...

:(

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Well that sucks.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
loving A'.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I told yall

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

But Lynch is out. :(

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Had the opportunity to watch a lot of TV while in the hospital. TV is reaaaal bad, man. I did kinda like the Rifleman, a late 50s program about a cowboy that solves mysteries. Other than that, what a fuckin wasteland (pretty basic cable package, mind) and the practice of booking 6+ hour blocks of a single show is the worst.

Howling Man
Mar 29, 2014
this is like laura palmer dying all over again.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i got worse news: Tom Towles aka Otis from Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer died.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i got worse news: Tom Towles aka Otis from Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer died.

Aww, man :(

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i'm watching the Passion of the Christ because it's Easter and i've never seen it and apart from all the poo poo about it that's hella problematic i actually kinda like it.

happy Easter, everybody

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lTMCQGKyhE

The Passion of the Christ is Mel Gibson's masterpiece. It's poetic film. I will stand by that film as a great work of cinema, even though Mel is literally insane.

Also, I can't say enough good things about the Nicholas Ray version of King of Kings. It's a beautiful film and has a great cast. Rip Torn is Judas, Robert Ryan as John the Baptist and it's narrated by Orson Welles.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Corek posted:

I just thought it was like an LF thing that kept hanging around.

One of many books on it:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
that book looks like a piece of poo poo

• Locked thread