Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Toshimo posted:

At the same time blue was getting Time Spiral and Frantic Search, Black was getting that version. Guess which one was better.

IDK, Yawgmoth's Will/Bargain are kinda good, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Toshimo posted:

At the same time blue was getting Time Spiral and Frantic Search, Black was getting that version. Guess which one was better.

This guy is great in my Grenzo EDH deck.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

bhsman posted:

IDK, Yawgmoth's Will/Bargain are kinda good, I guess.

That's true, but I don't think it's quite relevant to the respective power levels of Black and Blue's free spell mechanics.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Attorney at Funk posted:

That's true, but I don't think it's quite relevant to the respective power levels of Black and Blue's free spell mechanics.

Priest of Gix isn't really a mechanic, iirc it was a one shot card.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Elyv posted:

Priest of Gix isn't really a mechanic, iirc it was a one shot card.

there was that thrull dude, thats the only other one i can remember tho. it may not even be from the same block.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Crackling Doom can deal with Thunderbreak Regent, the problem is that you'd have to play Mardu.

:(

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Untapping lands is a hell of a lot more powerful than adding mana straight up. Just consider that Cloud of Faeries is in the same set as Miscalculate.

This is more true than most players realize, I untap lands in every game of Magic that I win and I would say that its a huge part of how I go about winning the game

also Priest of Gix was part of my TOTALLY SICK Aluren combo deck with Equilbrium. That deck is a pile and I found it totally in tact last year along with the Underground Seas I needed to make my BUG jank combo deck work.

oh and they made a callback to Priest of Gix in I think NPH? even cuter is that they made it red as a nod to rituals changing color identity.

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 6, 2015

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ramos posted:

Mono Red aggro I agree with, but boardwipe control? We don't really have all that many boardwipes and they're relatively subpar to boot or don't do enough damage to kill the dragon. And counterspells are also eh. It seems to really exist to punish grindier decks without flying creatures.

If I'm playing against a deck with a bunch of 4 and 5 mana dragons, Silumgar's Scorn and Disdainful stroke seam great.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

mcmagic posted:

If I'm playing against a deck with a bunch of 4 and 5 mana dragons, Silumgar's Scorn and Disdainful stroke seam great.

Has anyone actually made Silumgar's Scorn work yet? I haven't and I don't think I saw any today or yesterday. Disdainful Stroke is good, but then it hasn't exactly cured the Rhino problem yet either for control decks.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Ramos posted:

Has anyone actually made Silumgar's Scorn work yet? I haven't and I don't think I saw any today or yesterday. Disdainful Stroke is good, but then it hasn't exactly cured the Rhino problem yet either for control decks.

I saw it do some work yesterday in both force spike and dragon mode.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Ramos posted:

The only control deck in the top 25 of the Open ran 4. I don't know if it was a bad weekend for Silumgar's Scorn or just a bad weekend for Silumgar's Scorn decks. I'm interested to see control representation/makeup at the PT next week.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
I used Priest of Gix in combination with Great Whale/Peregrine Drake in my Recurring Nightmare/Survival of the Fittest as part of it's infinite mana combo. Yeah, Priest was all right.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

rabidsquid posted:

This is more true than most players realize, I untap lands in every game of Magic that I win and I would say that its a huge part of how I go about winning the game

also Priest of Gix was part of my TOTALLY SICK Aluren combo deck with Equilbrium. That deck is a pile and I found it totally in tact last year along with the Underground Seas I needed to make my BUG jank combo deck work.

oh and they made a callback to Priest of Gix in I think NPH? even cuter is that they made it red as a nod to rituals changing color identity.

Priest of Urabrask So good in heartless summoning.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent
Are there any shops in the Dallas, TX area that people would recommend? I play Legacy and Modern mostly, and I'm getting into Tiny Leaders.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Attorney at Funk posted:

Fair point, I guess my intent was that black at least didn't suffer for powerful cards and as someone mentioned Priest of Gix was a one-of. Urza's Destiny also gave black Bubbling Muck AKA black High Tide, ironically.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
What should I do with all the fetchlands I've opened drafting on MTGO? I have no interest in online constructed play, but I figure if I hold onto them for a while they'll be worth more tix than if I just sell them now, right? How high are they expected to go once they're no longer being drafted? Shocklands are still only 3-5 tix online from what I can see. Am I going to have to hold onto fetches for years for them to be worth more than the 2-4 tix I can get for them now?

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

Entropic posted:

What should I do with all the fetchlands I've opened drafting on MTGO? I have no interest in online constructed play, but I figure if I hold onto them for a while they'll be worth more tix than if I just sell them now, right? How high are they expected to go once they're no longer being drafted? Shocklands are still only 3-5 tix online from what I can see. Am I going to have to hold onto fetches for years for them to be worth more than the 2-4 tix I can get for them now?

If you've drafted enough Khans, look into redemption. The paper versions are a hell of a lot more than the online ones and Khans is a set that's going to hold a lot of long-term value.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Bugsy posted:

Priest of Urabrask So good in heartless summoning.

The infinite combo version of the Heartless Summoning was super janky and didn't do anything well until you assembled all the parts. I preferred the straight UB version that didn't go infinite but had the finite-but-still-really-good combo of HS + Havengul Lich + Perilous Myr.

And don't get me started on the people trying to jam Wurmcoil Engine or Grave Titan into their Heartless decks.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Entropic posted:

Trying to get value out of MTGO is really sucky because the only buyers are bot chains that will only give you 50% of what the cards are actually worth. The fact that MTGO just has classifieds and trades instead of an actual marketplace definitely contributes to the overall shittiness of the product.

I'd hold onto them until this pucatrade product actually shows up, then you'll hopefully be able to cash them out at somewhere closer to their actual value.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Emerson Cod posted:

If you've drafted enough Khans, look into redemption. The paper versions are a hell of a lot more than the online ones and Khans is a set that's going to hold a lot of long-term value.

I'm nowhere near having full sets for redemption, I just noticed I've got 5 or 6 fetches that I never cashed in for tickets because it didn't seem worth it. If I wanted to redeem I'd have to rebuy all the money rares I immediately sold to fund more drafts.

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

Entropic posted:

The infinite combo version of the Heartless Summoning was super janky and didn't do anything well until you assembled all the parts. I preferred the straight UB version that didn't go infinite but had the finite-but-still-really-good combo of HS + Havengul Lich + Perilous Myr.

And don't get me started on the people trying to jam Wurmcoil Engine or Grave Titan into their Heartless decks.

As someone who was playing Phantasmal Image that season :unsmigghh:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Anti-Citizen posted:

As someone who was playing Phantasmal Image that season :unsmigghh:
Phyrexian Metamorph is where it was at in the Heartless Summoning decks.

The coolest thing about that standard season was watching the Tier-1.5 Illusion Tribal / Mono-Blue Aggro deck gradually transform into Delver.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

The coolest thing about that standard was when I got to put bonfire of the damned into Wolf Run Ramp and by coolest I mean the thing that allowed me to make the loudest fart noise

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Jund, an bunch of stupid bullshit played by a fucker, on his way to complain about blue probably

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Entropic posted:

I know it was jank, but it is as fun jank.

Infinite wurmcoils was black market's deal. Another bad fun deck.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

My favorite Wurmcoil deck was that mono blue architect deck that Brad Nelson coincidentally invented after playing against me in a daily with it. He also missed the point of Kraken Hatchling being the cutest Sword of Feast and Famine wielding Sol Ring of all-time :colbert:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=82359 Yo it's back again

E: no seriously does angry pod guy still post in here because this is the second time this deck has done well in a Modern event in the last 2 weeks and it's literally Pod with like 6-7 different cards

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 6, 2015

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

rabidsquid posted:

My favorite Wurmcoil deck was that mono blue architect deck that Brad Nelson coincidentally invented after playing against me in a daily with it. He also missed the point of Kraken Hatchling being the cutest Sword of Feast and Famine wielding Sol Ring of all-time :colbert:

The best wurmcoil deck was the one in M13 super-standard with Trading Post and Ichor Wellspring.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

rabidsquid posted:

Your beautiful dream lives on in my cube.

I have yet to pull off the architect into master into sundering combo though :(

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

rabidsquid posted:

I stumbled into a similar deck trying to get Knowledge Pool to work, plated that at an FNM before switching it over to Wurmcoils and later Blightsteels, melting a Caw-Blade players brain the first time I stuck a pool was sorta legit.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Emerson Cod posted:

Troll economics: you can make money through arbitrage really slowly off redemption. The entire set costs 68.45 in tickets to buy from the common bot chains. The set costs $25 to redeem from Wizards, then the box with the paper set they send you sells for $110 or so on eBay. See, you profited 17 whole dollars!

minus ebays cuts and shipping costs and fucken effort and the fact that it doesn't sell particularly quickly on ebay

Real answer: redemption isn't really worth it even if you already have fetches because their relative value on MODO is really low - a set of the 5 costs like 13 tickets. Even though that converts to like $58 or something in paper, the reality is that the rest of the set is likely to be relatively worthless and the total profit you stand to make is that $17. I think the answer is that if you have fetches on MTGO, just hold on to them. The most expensive KTK fetch on MTGO is 4 bucks. If you want to spec on fetches, just buy them on eBay, tbh. They're done being drafted so this is as low as I think they go.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 6, 2015

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

TheKingofSprings posted:

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=82359 Yo it's back again

E: no seriously does angry pod guy still post in here because this is the second time this deck has done well in a Modern event in the last 2 weeks and it's literally Pod with like 6-7 different cards

Collected Company turning out to be a real deck is funny, especially since the incredibly goofy Garza's Assassin spec turned out to also be useless at the same time.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Entropic posted:

Wurmcoil worked in Heartless because, shockingly, a 5/5 with lifelink and deathtouch that became 2 2/2s with one each of those keywords is actually a really good bargain for 4 mana. Grave Titan didn't work because your 6-cmc guys were important anti-aggro pieces and Grave Titan didn't reverse momentum like your wurms did.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

Angry Grimace posted:

Troll economics: you can make money through arbitrage really slowly off redemption. The entire set costs 68.45 in tickets to buy from the common bot chains. The set costs $25 to redeem from Wizards, then the box with the paper set they send you sells for $110 or so on eBay. See, you profited 17 whole dollars!

minus ebays cuts and shipping costs and fucken effort and the fact that it doesn't sell particularly quickly on ebay

Real answer: redemption isn't really worth it even if you already have fetches because their relative value on MODO is really low - a set of the 5 costs like 13 tickets. Even though that converts to like $58 or something in paper, the reality is that the rest of the set is likely to be relatively worthless and the total profit you stand to make is that $17. I think the answer is that if you have fetches on MTGO, just hold on to them. The most expensive KTK fetch on MTGO is 4 bucks. If you want to spec on fetches, just buy them on eBay, tbh. They're done being drafted so this is as low as I think they go.

It doesn't make sense if the fetches are all he has left, but if a regular drafter builds up the full sets over time, redemption is the best way to make a long-term profit. At least with this set.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Jabor posted:

Trying to get value out of MTGO is really sucky because the only buyers are bot chains that will only give you 50% of what the cards are actually worth.

Okay, I'll bite. Where do you get this "actual worth" here? Surely you're not comparing to paper prices or something equally silly?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Lunsku posted:

Okay, I'll bite. Where do you get this "actual worth" here? Surely you're not comparing to paper prices or something equally silly?

By "actual worth" I mean "what you could sell them to other players for in an efficient market". The marketplace on MTGO is very much not efficient, which is why bot operators are able to get huge margins on arbitrage.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Jabor posted:

By "actual worth" I mean "what you could sell them to other players for in an efficient market". The marketplace on MTGO is very much not efficient, which is why bot operators are able to get huge margins on arbitrage.

I just don't see how "efficient market" (say, Steam style market operating on fractional tix) could make you fetch something like double for a card. If anything, I could see that as something that drives the prices down. Looking at my bot chain of choice (Goatbots) something like the most expensive FRF card currently (Monastery Mentor) buys at 10.61 tix and sells at 10.99 tix, which means on a short term profit margin of ~3.4%. I don't think that qualifies as huge.

Despite all the technical limitations, MTGO second hand market is not geographically constrained at all but truly global, lacks all the costs of handling physical product, and has a pretty minimal number of middle men between the source of the cards, players willing to sell and those willing to buy. I don't see the value of cards being that far from where it intuitively for me should be.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Entropic posted:

The best wurmcoil deck was the one in M13 super-standard with Trading Post and Ichor Wellspring.

I went undefeated in games and matches using a build of this deck in Game Day, which was the first time I've done that since UG Tron back in RAV/TSP. So much synergy!

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Lunsku posted:

I just don't see how "efficient market" (say, Steam style market operating on fractional tix) could make you fetch something like double for a card. If anything, I could see that as something that drives the prices down. Looking at my bot chain of choice (Goatbots) something like the most expensive FRF card currently (Monastery Mentor) buys at 10.61 tix and sells at 10.99 tix, which means on a short term profit margin of ~3.4%. I don't think that qualifies as huge.

Despite all the technical limitations, MTGO second hand market is not geographically constrained at all but truly global, lacks all the costs of handling physical product, and has a pretty minimal number of middle men between the source of the cards, players willing to sell and those willing to buy. I don't see the value of cards being that far from where it intuitively for me should be.

Try going into the trade room and check and see what you get for what's in your collection from at least four or five different bots. I had to go through a laundry list of bots before I could get $8.50 for my mana drain the other day while most vendors were willing to give me about $4/tix for the same card. The trading system on Modo is third world styled garbage and bad bots take advantage of people don't know who's a good bot that buys at fair prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
MTGO's trading system is perfectly designed for the world Garfield envisioned where everyone would have only a few packs' worth of cards that they'd trade amongst each other and there's no secondary market involved.

This would be perfectly reasonable if it had been invented in 1993 instead of just looking like it was.

• Locked thread