Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Another thing to bear in mind with Samsungs is that they come with knox, a hardware trip switch. Once you root it you can't RMA it and you're locked out of official OTAs. So it's a pretty big gamble if you plan to buy it with the intent of trying custom ROMs. As you aren't locked into the eco system you may as well get Ipad.

Consider your :filez: too, I'm not sure what is available on apple store but you might not be able to drag and drop. That ability was what made me choose android in the first place.

u fink u hard Percy fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Call Me Charlie posted:

Just want to clear this up. All Windows tablets will be able to upgrade to full Windows 10. After that point, OEMs of sub-8 inch tablets will have the choice of whatever they're calling Windows RT (yes, it's not actually dead) or real deal Windows 10. There's no hard rule.

There's problems with file compression of devices like HP Stream that's not allowing people to upgrade to Windows 10:

https://gigaom.com/2015/01/26/got-a-low-cost-laptop-windows-10-upgrade-may-take-some-effort/

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

EugeneJ posted:

There's problems with file compression of devices like HP Stream that's not allowing people to upgrade to Windows 10:

https://gigaom.com/2015/01/26/got-a-low-cost-laptop-windows-10-upgrade-may-take-some-effort/

quote:

The HP Stream 7 is one of those devices that if you try to upgrade Windows 8.1 to the technical preview using the Windows Update method you will get the error about it not being able to install on a compressed operating system.

This does not mean the device can’t run the technical preview – it just means upgrading to it is off the table. That means a fresh install is the only choice available to anyone who is seeing this error.

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/installing-windows-10-technical-preview-hp-stream-7

There's instructions on how to upgrade to the technical preview and you'd have to imagine that Microsoft will get that sorted out by the time it launches.

orinth
Apr 15, 2003

NFC WEST IS THE BEST

RVProfootballer posted:

Some of the visual badness of TouchWiz can be changed by changing the launcher to Nova Launcher or Google Now Launcher or whatever, but that by no means gets rid of all of it, as the notification drawer, lock screen, and settings won't be changed by the launcher, nor will any of the under-the-hood stuff. Don't plan to put custom ROMs on it. Android is a ton better than it used to be, and the Galaxy Tab S screen is awesome, but the iPad Mini will still win on software and apps. If the price is the same or the Samsung is more, it is very tough to recommend it over the iPad. If the Samsung costs significantly less than the iPad, then it ends up being a bit more of a decision, and you'll just have to decide whether the cost difference is enough to make up the experience/quality difference.

Yeah I had read about the nova launcher. I've been out of the android game for quite a few years and just figured I would root it.

The 16gb versions of the Tab S 8.4 and ipad mini 2 are the same price at $299. I like the fact that the Samsung has a microsd slot, but I don't know if that is a deal killer. I'm tempted to buy the samsung from Best Buy and return it if I don't like it.

Daimo posted:

Another thing to bear in mind with Samsungs is that they come with knox, a hardware trip switch. Once you root it you can't RMA it and you're locked out of official OTAs. So it's a pretty big gamble if you plan to buy it with the intent of trying custom ROMs. As you aren't locked into the eco system you may as well get Ipad.

Consider your :filez: too, I'm not sure what is available on apple store but you might not be able to drag and drop. That ability was what made me choose android in the first place.

Ah I had no clue there was a hardware switch. If I get the Tab, I definitely don't plan on rooting it now.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Call Me Charlie posted:

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/installing-windows-10-technical-preview-hp-stream-7

There's instructions on how to upgrade to the technical preview and you'd have to imagine that Microsoft will get that sorted out by the time it launches.

I clicked with the full intention of doing this, but fuckin'a Microsoft.

I don't know if I have 4 hours to go through all of this.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

I have a $100 giftcard to Canadian BestBuy and am thinking about getting a tablet. I've been reading the thread a bit and see that people here seem to suggest refurb iPads or 2013 Nexus 7s but I don't think they carry those here.

e: I do see an iPad Mini on there but I don't know which model it is.

Any suggestions from what's available here: http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/categor...than%2B%2524100

I'm not expecting to replace my desktop or Nexus 5 but I'd like something I can watch videos or read stuff on. I'm probably willing to go up to $300.

Either that or buy a cheap remote control drone.

Acer Pilot fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 3, 2015

orinth
Apr 15, 2003

NFC WEST IS THE BEST
Is anyone familiar with kids tablets? I'm also looking at possibly getting them one. I was looking at the Kindle Fire Kids Edition, but it seems to have so so reviews. Mainly people complain about the lack of space, poor battery life and slow charging times. Is the space due to Freetime being on there having a bunch of extra crap preloaded? The Kindle HD6 looks like it's the same thing minus the case and 2 year warranty yet it has stellar reviews in comparison.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Acer Pilot posted:

I have a $100 giftcard to Canadian BestBuy and am thinking about getting a tablet. I've been reading the thread a bit and see that people here seem to suggest refurb iPads or 2013 Nexus 7s but I don't think they carry those here.

e: I do see an iPad Mini on there but I don't know which model it is.

Any suggestions from what's available here: http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/categor...than%2B%2524100

I'm not expecting to replace my desktop or Nexus 5 but I'd like something I can watch videos or read stuff on. I'm probably willing to go up to $300.

Either that or buy a cheap remote control drone.

The options there aren't very appealing. The non-iPad tablets aren't really worth it.

The iPad Mini on the site is the first-generation version, which has the non-Retina display. I'll leave it for the others here to decide if it's worth getting for $162 ($262 less the gift card).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

anakha posted:

The options there aren't very appealing. The non-iPad tablets aren't really worth it.

The iPad Mini on the site is the first-generation version, which has the non-Retina display. I'll leave it for the others here to decide if it's worth getting for $162 ($262 less the gift card).

The original iPad Mini is not worth buying. Its literally an iPad 2 and will just not be that fast at this point. IPad Mini 2 however, is usually a really good buy because its only 1 year old hardware and it went down in price with the 3 coming out. For those reasons it's just harder to find.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

So this is the Apple iPad mini 2 you guys are talking about I assume?

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...19757dd2b48en02

It's $308.99 so I guess it's still within range.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Acer Pilot posted:

So this is the Apple iPad mini 2 you guys are talking about I assume?

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...19757dd2b48en02

It's $308.99 so I guess it's still within range.

Yup that's it. Fyi 16Gb is a pretty small amount, for just a few apps you'll get by, if you want to use it for gaming (bigger apps) or things like music and video you may want to consider the 32GB.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Yup that's it. Fyi 16Gb is a pretty small amount, for just a few apps you'll get by, if you want to use it for gaming (bigger apps) or things like music and video you may want to consider the 32GB.

Ok, so 32gb iPad mini 2 is $357.99 and after tax and the apparently 2 giftcards I have, it's about $287.29 after tax. I see an iPad Air but that's even more expensive.

So before I start buying anything, what's the general feeling on the Asus Transformer Pad and Samsung Galaxy Tab S tablets listed on this page: http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/categor...ice&sortDir=asc

(The ones $340 and up)

Also, thanks for all the input guys!

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Acer Pilot posted:

Ok, so 32gb iPad mini 2 is $357.99 and after tax and the apparently 2 giftcards I have, it's about $287.29 after tax. I see an iPad Air but that's even more expensive.

So before I start buying anything, what's the general feeling on the Asus Transformer Pad and Samsung Galaxy Tab S tablets listed on this page: http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/categor...ice&sortDir=asc

(The ones $340 and up)

Also, thanks for all the input guys!

The Transformer Pad runs an older version of Android and uses an NVIDIA processor. NVIDIA has gotten a lot of well-deserved flak on this forum for how lovely their processors are, so I'd advise to stay away.

The Galaxy Tab S 8.4 has newer specs and hardware than the iPad Mini 2, but the Touchwiz UI Samsung overlaid on the Android OS is, well, a polarizing topic here. Some are fine with it, others hate it. If you've used Samsung phones/tablets before and don't mind the UI, it's an option. The iPad still has the better app ecosystem, though.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

I'm in the market for a tablet to use for school and work stuff because I don't want to lug my laptop back and forth on a 30-45 minute public transit commute every day. Basically I just need something that will run MS Office Suite, play videos and music well, maybe do some very light gaming. What's my best option in the $300-350 range?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

I'm in the market for a tablet to use for school and work stuff because I don't want to lug my laptop back and forth on a 30-45 minute public transit commute every day. Basically I just need something that will run MS Office Suite, play videos and music well, maybe do some very light gaming. What's my best option in the $300-350 range?

iPad Mini 2 or iPad Air if you can find one in that price range.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

If you need a keyboard attachment, probably the ASUS Transformer T100. If you want a pen, probably the Toshiba Encore 2 Write.

Whatever you go with, be sure to do your research before you buy.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
What's a good tablet for <$150, ideally around $100? I'll be using it for internet browsing, videos, and casual gaming (Candy Crush, KoDP, PAD). Also feel free to recommend things a little out of the price range, since I'll be trawling through craigslist as well.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

2013 Nexus 7

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Is the HD Kindle Fire 6/7 good? My mother is thinking about buying one for herself so she can browse the internet, watch Netflix and read books.

http://www.amazon.com/Fire-HD-Display-Wi-Fi-GB/dp/B00KC6I06S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428466778&sr=8-1&keywords=kindle+fire+hd+6

I have no idea since I am not a tablet person and only use PCs.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Every mom with a kid old enough to ask that question for them wants an iPad.

Edit: Actually an iPad mini because it fits in their purse.

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Sun and water are healthy for you -- but not for your hair!
Fun Shoe

Duckman2008 posted:

Eh, couldn't know on the exact device, but it can't exactly be that great. I'd get a 2012 N7 over it personally, although for its price the 2013 N7 is still the best android tab.

Alrighty, I did it. I ordered this thing for under $40, brand spanking new--despite everyone's advice. I'll share my experiences with you folks so that you can all shake your heads in disbelief . . .

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

That is all we ask in return.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
wrong thread

goodness fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 10, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't think I've seen it on sale other than a price mistake once. It might be better to ask the e-reader thread. I have ads on my Paperwhite and don't find them obtrusive at all. You can always get it with ads then pay to remove them later if they bother you.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
My mother in law hates her Windows 8 laptop. Wife believes the answer is either a tablet or a Chromebook. Wife and I both already use and can provide support for an Android tablet (although I want to play with a Chromebook. . . :devil: ). Will also eventually replace a Nokia Win 8 phone.

I believe the Nexus 7 is the go to, but every other previous generation member of my family (mom, dad, step dad, etc) have all detested 7" tablets as being too small. Is the Nexus 9 the next go to? Mother in law also insists that a keyboard is necessary (even though she refuses to use the keyboard on her win8 laptop), can I slap just any Bluetooth keyboard on any Android tablet and expect a good experience?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Nexus 9 has been pretty universally derided as being not very great, largely to a stupidly designed SoC. It'll sound like an odd recommendation being that it's kind of gaming-focused, but the Nvidia Shield tablet is the go-to 9" Android tablet.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I want an Air or Air 2 but hate spending money. Assuming I don't play any really complex games but just use the thing for browsing the web and streaming videos and email and face time will I miss the extra GB of RAM if I get a refurbished Air over the Air 2? Any major issues with the Air I need to know about? I expect 32GB is plenty of memory for my purposes.

The Mini is a nonstarter. Waaaaaay too small, even if the resolution is high.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Loucks posted:

I want an Air or Air 2 but hate spending money. Assuming I don't play any really complex games but just use the thing for browsing the web and streaming videos and email and face time will I miss the extra GB of RAM if I get a refurbished Air over the Air 2? Any major issues with the Air I need to know about? I expect 32GB is plenty of memory for my purposes.

The Mini is a nonstarter. Waaaaaay too small, even if the resolution is high.
The added RAM goes a long way to keeping tabs from refreshing in use, which has been a complaint about iPads since pretty much the first one.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Bummer. Oh well. Maybe Apple will drop the iPad Air 3 in a couple of weeks. Otherwise :homebrew:

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!
what's the opinion of something like a Surface Pro 2/ 256gb/ 8gb for purposes of school and extremely light gaming? I ask, because you can basically pick one up for $600 with keyboard most of the time and the ability to use the pen for notetaking is extremely appealing to me. Can also pick up a refurb powercover off amazon for $70, which helps shore up its average battery life to somewhere around 8 hours total. Thoughts?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Windows 8.1 Tablet thread would probably have a better idea, but my guess would be that it would largely be okay.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Loucks posted:

Bummer. Oh well. Maybe Apple will drop the iPad Air 3 in a couple of weeks. Otherwise :homebrew:

October is still technically a couple of weeks, I guess?

semicolon
Jun 20, 2004
I finally pulled the trigger on an Nvidia Shield last week, but I am packing it up to send back to Amazon because the wifi is so terrible that the tablet is mostly unusable for anything but the lightest web browsing.

What originally attracted me to the Shield was its excellent handwriting/digitizer (which is actually quite good), so now I'm looking at a plan B for an Android tablet that I can write on. The Shield was a little on the small side for my taste, so I think the note or the note pro would fit the bill, although I'm a little hesitant about the price.

Are there other options?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I didn't even know the Shield had a digitiZer, but the Note is pretty much your only other Android option, so there you go.

semicolon
Jun 20, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

I didn't even know the Shield had a digitiZer

It's not a proper digitizer, but it uses the GPU to <some magic I don't understand> and the end result is pretty good stylus precision and touch rejection.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Nut Bunnies posted:

October is still technically a couple of weeks, I guess?

Is that the refresh cycle? I'm really tight-fisted when it comes to spending on gadgets, so that just might work.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

so i bought the ipad mini 2. it looks pretty but i probably need a case.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Loucks posted:

Is that the refresh cycle? I'm really tight-fisted when it comes to spending on gadgets, so that just might work.

Apple's last couple iPad updates have been in October. It's likely their next will be as well.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Acer Pilot posted:

so i bought the ipad mini 2. it looks pretty but i probably need a case.

Let us know what you end up with. The gf has a Smart Cover case with built in stand which is excellent for watching movies or browsing the forums, but not so good for playing games or typing in portrait mod. We're looking for a more minimalist phone style case but with a built in stand to watch Netflix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
So is the Nexus 9 pretty much the only game in town if you want stock Lollipop? The reviews look pretty lukewarm but I'm considering going for a preowned one. I've got an iPad 3 but I want something faster and I'd prefer Android.