Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

what was that stupid stompbox that was literally empty except for a small length of cloth wire connecting the in and the out for VINTAGE TONE?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Allen Wren posted:

~ vintage wiring ~

I rewire a lot of guitar stuff with the salvaged wiring from the free Hammond organ I was given. It makes all guitar repairs smell like vintage church organ room. I wish I was kidding :downs:

Edit: it was a later transistor organ that was being put out for trash. Parts of it worked.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 2, 2015

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

please tell me that the hammond was non-recoverable when you did that

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Allen Wren posted:

what was that stupid stompbox that was literally empty except for a small length of cloth wire connecting the in and the out for VINTAGE TONE?

Spice Box. I posted a pic somewhere earlier in the thread.

Edit:

darkwasthenight posted:

Did someone say vintage wiring? Here's the Honda Soundworks Spice pedal:

Gives you that real cool vintage tone without having to fiddle around with settings and it's a guaranteed limited edition due to rare components. Let's have a gutshot shall we?

Authentic vintage wire straight out of a 60's mixing desk. Sounding like Hendrix alllll day for the low low price of several hundred dollars. Only one I could find for sale was on a Korean site at $300+ if you would believe it.

Pretty sure HSW had tongues so far in their cheeks they were sticking out their ears but people were claiming to have bought them and briefly led to TGP having an unironic discussion regarding the merits of vintage wire. I've also seen the 'Bakelite pickguards sound better than plastic' argument on there more times than I wish to remember.

Popeahuntis
Apr 10, 2009

http://youtu.be/PwVdD1jfkz4
I personally love these insane synths but they are dumb as a bag of Italian guitars

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

unlawfulsoup posted:

Honestly those magazines seem to do a bangup job appealing to the bluesdad dream.

'Hey by owning this rare strat you ultimately become a super cool rock star.'

You have no idea. It focuses on guitars, high end cars (not ludicrous sports cars, this focuses on your business/weekend leisure saloon models), wines and spirits, and designer watches. It is the most baffling read.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Sockington posted:

Probably not since you seem to have a tree in your yard that produces strat clones. Just have to pick one early in the season so the neck doesn't grow too long.

Or just lovely customers that don't want to pay the bill and try to trade you anything for work.

Last time I counted, I had 4 strat bodies, one red, two blue and one gross loving tobacco burst that stinks like a phone box on a hot day. All of them are Encore bodies (cheap UK guitar import company that has an odd habit of importing surprisingly good quality guitars occasionally). I had a black plywood one a few years ago that I ended up using as a sled.

That body could probably be glued back together pretty easily, although you might have to scarf in a new chunk of wood for the neck pocket. It'd be a cool project if you've got some basic wood tools/skills, plus it'd look gnarly as gently caress when it was all glued up.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

TheChaosPath posted:

My biggest lol is still that a guitar that was designed with nothing but cheap, faceless mass production in mind and has soldiered on effectively unchanged for 60+ years is a super iconic and sought-after vintage instrument

um the neckshape of an authentic 50s strat is completely foreign to a modern one not to mention the magnets back then were

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

shiksa posted:

um the neckshape of an authentic 50s strat is completely foreign to a modern one not to mention the magnets back then were

The air trapped beneath the paint back then was also purer and has a more airy vintage tone.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
The paint Leo Fender used was leftover car paint and we all know how amazing vintage cars sound. Please!

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

TheChaosPath posted:

My biggest lol is still that a guitar that was designed with nothing but cheap, faceless mass production in mind and has soldiered on effectively unchanged for 60+ years is a super iconic and sought-after vintage instrument

this guy seems to have the right idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQANhRXDDt0

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
does anyone else get really annoyed when reviews have the amp so low that you can hear the acoustic sound of an electric guitar? Or they maybe mix in the room mic picking up the guitar and it's like, seriously guys you couldn't isolate and remove that sound from your demo?

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
keith merrow and ola englund's gear demos are basically the gold standard of what gear demos should be. no talking, just get straight to the point and let me hear the whatever it is in a mix, soloed and a/b'd. I don't want to hear the specs or features, I know how to google.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

shiksa posted:

mention the magnets back then were

not quite sure where this sentence was going, but how long are pickups from the 50s going to last? it's a tantalizing thought that all these "priceless" pickups will be totally useless, no matter how well they're kept.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Chrpno posted:

not quite sure where this sentence was going, but how long are pickups from the 50s going to last? it's a tantalizing thought that all these "priceless" pickups will be totally useless, no matter how well they're kept.

Priceless, worthless, what's the difference?

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Chrpno posted:

Not an electrical expert so take this with a big pinch of salt, but it's my understanding that the type of magnets used for those old Fender and PAF pickups won't really demagnetise (degauss? I have no idea what the terminology is) unless they are subjected to excess heat or shock, plus if they do go limp, you can fix them back up with a strong neodymium magnet.

Saying that, I've seen plenty of old Teisco pickups where the magnets have gone to poo poo, they've all been these weird rubbery ferrite magnets (think fridge magnet) and more than a couple have been so limp that they won't even stick to the fridge door. A quick waz with an old hard drive magnet perked them back up nicely though.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dr. Faustus posted:

The paint Leo Fender used was leftover car paint and we all know how amazing vintage cars sound. Please!

Vintage cars sound p cool :shrug:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Concatenation posted:

keith merrow and ola englund's gear demos are basically the gold standard of what gear demos should be. no talking, just get straight to the point and let me hear the whatever it is in a mix, soloed and a/b'd. I don't want to hear the specs or features, I know how to google.

except for with at least ola he intentionally dials in every amp so it sounds exactly the same, which defeats the purpose of a demo other than to reassure andy sneap that anything can be made to sound like his recordings

the tone king kinda does the same thing but i'm not sure it's on purpose unless he just really enjoys the sound of a distortion pedal plugged directly into a sound card

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Apr 3, 2015

Barnaby Barnacle
May 25, 2010

fyodor posted:

Vintage cars sound p cool :shrug:

Of course, to get that true vintage tone, one must use leaded gasoline. The same concept applies to guitars. That's why early Les Pauls were so heavy; before the invention of the humbucker, guitars' cavities had to be filled with an antiknock agent to reduce unwanted noise. Tone lead.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011

White Dog Eggs posted:

Saying that, I've seen plenty of old Teisco pickups where the magnets have gone to poo poo, they've all been these weird rubbery ferrite magnets (think fridge magnet) and more than a couple have been so limp that they won't even stick to the fridge door. A quick waz with an old hard drive magnet perked them back up nicely though.

A vintage hard drive I hope. You don't want to stain your magnets with any of that nasty modern magnetic field.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Barnaby Barnacle posted:

Of course, to get that true vintage tone, one must use leaded gasoline. The same concept applies to guitars. That's why early Les Pauls were so heavy; before the invention of the humbucker, guitars' cavities had to be filled with an antiknock agent to reduce unwanted noise. Tone lead.

You needed leaded cables as well, otherwise the knock would be translated to your amp as well.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

just put a nicely tuned catback exhaust on your guitar:

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.
careful or your TONE will be all muffled

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
You need the right ride for that kind of axe.

Acoustic too D:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Actuary X posted:

unlawfulsoup posted:

You need the right ride for that kind of axe.

Acoustic too D:

:stare:

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

Want.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Actuary X posted:

would so hard

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
same here but a folger's can with a type r sticker and an ibanez neck

that nig hive mind
Mar 16, 2014

by Ralp
s

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
but think of the hearty ralp tones

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

lol why would you post about ugly guitars when ralp exists. get with the times grandpa. ralp is the future and the present

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Octatonic posted:

lol why would you post about ugly guitars when ralp exists. get with the times grandpa. ralp is the future and the present

i want my ralp tv

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
I'm confused what is going on?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Agrinja posted:

I'm confused what is going on?

giant ralp-focused meltdown, dude shat it all over gbs, now it is edited away to wonderland

the tones have suffered

SeventhSeven
Jun 28, 2009
http://blog.bohemianguitars.com/a-look-back-at-sxsw/

Jerry Steinfeld
Dec 25, 2012

I played a really nice old Parker Fly a few months ago and it was simultaneously one of the best feeling and playing guitars I've ever touched, while also being a mediocre sounding and absolutely HIDEOUS piece of poo poo

Also, that bo diddley looking piece of poo poo is horrifying

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Outlet Tone.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

unlawfulsoup posted:

Outlet Tone.

ac/dc switch

Aoi-chan
Jul 28, 2003

A Winner is Jew posted:

Cross posting from the synth thread

This is going to make me angry isn't it

Edit: yep. I know the dx7 is garbage but I want one so bad and that just makes me argh

Aoi-chan fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aoi-chan
Jul 28, 2003

Popeahuntis posted:

http://youtu.be/PwVdD1jfkz4
I personally love these insane synths but they are dumb as a bag of Italian guitars

I think the otamatone is more about making someone smile than being a serious musical instrument. It's slightly less serious than a kazoo.

• Locked thread