Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Skyline is like an Asylum/SyFy original movie that actually delivers the goods.
No it doesn't. What are you talking about, you insane person?

Also, check out what's on VH1 right now:

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Apr 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The best thing about skyline was it didnt have as much hype and was thus less disappointing than Battle:LA

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Also, check out what's on VH1 right now:

B*A*P*S is awful, but it's no Marci X.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI5_51pLv8E

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Is The Warriors a perfect movie? I'm going to go ahead and say that it is.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Nah.

Edit: After all the hype it gets, there are things I liked about Warriors, but not enough to outweigh how listless and dull it was overall.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
First:

Then:

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lol, death of the author isn't about "the interpreter being privileged over the author", it's about letting a work speak for itself.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That is some stupid poo poo.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Anonymous Robot posted:

Haha, I think we may have seen the same episode, though it was an Irish hustler, and the deal was that he had actually killed the guy whose crimes they were pinning on him, but was keeping it secret so nobody would collect the bounty before he'd be able to. There was another episode about the spirit of the samurai and one where a dandy cowboy enacts land redistribution and persecutes unlawful wage differentials.

Concur on upgrading The Rifleman to ownage status.

I'd love some episode titles/numbers on these, as it seems youtube has quite a few episodes.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Maarak posted:

I'd love some episode titles/numbers on these, as it seems youtube has quite a few episodes.

Episode 156: Incident at Line Shack Six
Episode 157: Suspicion
Episode 159: The Sixteenth Cousin

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Watched a weird film dir. Kathryn Bigelow called Strange Days on Netflix.

Wasn't sure at all what I was expecting, but it's like a weird Sci-Fi / Noir preemptive murder / murder mystery with police corruption and serial killer plotlines. It's really weird, and pretty great. Rather than drugs, people are reliving memories recorded to MiniDisc so we get some really effectively disturbing found footage memories.

It stars a slightly foppish Ralph Fiennes and badass Angela Bassett in an increasingly militaristic police state just before Y2K where all cars are on fire and cops are constantly arresting / abusing black people in the background of all scenes that take place outside because two police officers just randomly murdered this really bad rapper version of Malcolm X.

Liked it alot.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Strange Days loving owns. Neck and neck with Point Break for my favorite Bigelow movie. (I shamefully have not seen Near Dark.)

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Anonymous Robot posted:

Lol, death of the author isn't about "the interpreter being privileged over the author", it's about letting a work speak for itself.

Obviously not - but when nerds complain about "death of the author", they are not talking about Barthes at all. The phrase, in this instance, refers to the perception that their authority is in decline. Recall the nerd furor over the phrase "gamers are dead". It's the same deal.

This is why CD posters seem to spontaneously complain about 'death of the author' at random intervals.

It's not because they love biographical criticism, and want to tell us how Alan Taylor's childhood may have influenced Thor 2. It's because of fear.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Now listening to: Gorillaz - "Every Author We Read Is Dead"

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I wasn't hot on The Warriors. I loved the game and finally saw the film three years ago. It was alright. It is pretty dull given the premise, and I'd love to see a gonzo remake of it that capitalizes on the silliness. Of course Hollywood would remake it as gritty and "realistic".

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I appreciate how relatively grounded and understated the film is. Going in with expectations based on the premise is obviously going to leave you disappointed due to how just about every single anime and video game about fighting took the premise of the film and cranked it up to 11.

It is a perfect movie and I would really hate to see the Sucker Punch Fight Scene version of it.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
This sudden rejection of The Warriors is bad and also, wrong

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
People sure hate individual interpretations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CPL593H posted:

People sure hate individual interpretations.

Are you talking about "death of the author" or

Hat Thoughts posted:

This sudden rejection of The Warriors is bad and also, wrong

Because if it's the first, yeah that's annoying and weird, but in the second case The Warriors is loving baller and anyone who doesn't like it is a buster.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Skwirl posted:

Are you talking about "death of the author" or

Because if it's the first, yeah that's annoying and weird, but in the second case The Warriors is loving baller and anyone who doesn't like it is a buster.

Death of the author. The Warriors is fantastic and anyone who disagrees can suck it.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Has anyone here watched the new spongebob movie?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

CPL593H posted:

Death of the author. The Warriors is fantastic and anyone who disagrees can suck it.

And anyone who agrees can suck it too! :wink:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CPL593H posted:

My favorite thing about the internet is how upset people get when they don't understand a term of art.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

My favorite thing about the internet is how upset people get when they don't understand a term of art.

Remember how insanely mad people got over "gamers are dead"?

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Remember how insanely mad people got over "gamers are dead"?

Is "gamers are dead" similar to "Hip Hop is Dead" from like 2006, or is it like "Death of Autotune" from 2009?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skywalker OG posted:

Is "gamers are dead" similar to "Hip Hop is Dead" from like 2006, or is it like "Death of Autotune" from 2009?

It was more like "hey, the idea of gamers being an insular subculture separate from the mainstream is dead, cuz everyone's a gamer now :^)" and people got maaaaaad.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Why is it that "gamers" want to be treated like any other artform/culture/whatever but totally buck against the idea of evolution or reinterpretation? Is this just a particularly vocal group, or a particularly stubborn one? Were gamers grumbling when home gaming systems were invented because now anyone could play it instead of those dedicated enough to go to an arcade?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Furious Seven and It Follows make for a very strange double feature.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I can't even comprehend gamer sub culture. The people who are vocal about it subscribe to a shibboleth so narrow that their clone might fail the test because they got the wrong random drop on a game and thus don't truly understand. Also they're all racist and sexist and homophobic.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Double post:
speaking of games, the advantage of playing Assassin's Creed 4 several years after it came out is realizing that your playing as Pirate John Constantine.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
The only game I play (on my mac laptop) is Civ V. I'm now getting bored of it, after much play. What else of that ilk should I try?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

therattle posted:

The only game I play (on my mac laptop) is Civ V. I'm now getting bored of it, after much play. What else of that ilk should I try?

Crusader Kings 2.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Cities: Skyline.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Madworld.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'm super mixed on death of the author.

On one hand, I find a director's inspiration, take on the themes, how they did that, why they chose this shot, to be one of the most interesting things about movies. I love it. I love to learn that way. But the downside is something like Whiplash, where I watch the movie and see it clearly one way, but the director intended it to be the total opposite, and if I took that as fact it ruins the film.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I don't think "death of the author" means you have to disregard the author's intentions. I always took it to mean that the author just doesn't have the final say about what a work means. Once its out there, it's out there and not just an extension of the creator anymore. I don't think you have to stop caring about a director's take, just realize that their interpretation isn't the one "true" one, and that having a different opinion doesn't make it wrong.

Also, has anyone here seen The Salvation or Kumiko, the Treasure Hunter? I recall some talk about the second one but I haven't heard much about the first. The theater I volunteer at is playing them soon and they both looked pretty cool. I have so many free passes from them but barely ever go see what they're playing because I'm so lazy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The point of Death of the Author is primarily to be used as an academic tool. If you take an author entirely out of the work, what does the work say by itself? How does that relate to how people who don't know the context of the author's ideas receive that work? Can the work be recontextualized if you ignore when and why it was created? Etc. It's not meant to be an either-or situation where you think about the author when absorbing a work or not.

It's just like how it's not smart to try to interpret everything in every movie as political allegory, but it can be useful to do so occasionally.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 201 days!

LesterGroans posted:

Why is it that "gamers" want to be treated like any other artform/culture/whatever but totally buck against the idea of evolution or reinterpretation? Is this just a particularly vocal group, or a particularly stubborn one? Were gamers grumbling when home gaming systems were invented because now anyone could play it instead of those dedicated enough to go to an arcade?

They don't want games to be respected because they understand their artistic merit and care about that.

They want games to be respected because they are emotionally invested in them, and want their identity as "gamers" to come with status, respect, and a sort of curatorial authority.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

therattle posted:

If you're looking for another 4X-type thing, check out Endless Legend. It's a really solid game with a neat setting and I think the general consensus is that it's way better than Beyond Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
People should read the Barthes essay. It's not long or especially difficult, and it's a very useful concept to understand if you're going to talk about fiction, or communication of any kind really.

It's not about whether or when it's appropriate to defer ultimate meaning to the author, it's about how it's impossible to trace a line from the experience of reading and interpreting language back to the passage's original creator in any legitimate way.

• Locked thread