Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Looks pretty much identical to the style of textures Unreal and Tribes both had at the same time to me.

It's similar enough that Episode 2 actually gives me some Unreal 1 vibes (in a good way).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Zaphod42 posted:

Looks pretty much identical to the style of textures Unreal and Tribes both had at the same time to me.

Really? Man they don't look at all alike to me. Unreal especially.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Are there are any Doom wads out there that have monster mods for the manual's "Military "volunteers" entering them have either disappeared or been stricken with a strange form of insanity--babbling vulgarities, bludgeoning anything that breathes, and finally suffering an untimely death of full-body explosion." that happens shortly before the game?

scroton_
Nov 12, 2014

Can't post for 6 days!

Woolie Wool posted:

Why do so many mod authors have to be horrible people? :negative:

Because the rampant toxic brogramming culture of modern day (G)ZDoom modding ensures that only cishet whiteguys get access to resources that allow them to learn how to create mods so, surprise surprise, most modders are complete shitlord pissbabies.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

scroton_ posted:

Because the rampant toxic brogramming culture of modern day (G)ZDoom modding ensures that only cishet whiteguys get access to resources that allow them to learn how to create mods so, surprise surprise, most modders are complete shitlord pissbabies.

I am completely confounded as to what irony level this post is operating at.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

scroton_ posted:

Please stop.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Uh, anyway, any other Wolfenstein 3D TC recommendations? I'm looking for ones with a more...robust, I suppose, experience than vanilla Wolf. I really enjoyed the poo poo out of Spear: End of the Destiny. It had neat extra things like switches manipulating pushwalls, medkits in your inventory, backpacks that increase your ammo capacity, stuff like that.

And no I'm not playing Eisenfaust: Legacy <:mad:>

(not unless someone tells me the cheats for it...)

scroton_
Nov 12, 2014

Can't post for 6 days!

Segmentation Fault posted:

I am completely confounded as to what irony level this post is operating at.

It's not meant to be ironic; it's true. Name a single female or non-whiteguy or non-hispanicguy (G)ZDoom modder.

You can't.

The (G)ZDoom modding scene is about as inclusive and diverse as a 1920s South African country club, and they work hard to keep it that way.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
In fairness the GZDoom forums are extremely bad.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

scroton_ posted:

It's not meant to be ironic; it's true. Name a single female or non-whiteguy or non-hispanicguy (G)ZDoom modder.

You can't.

The (G)ZDoom modding scene is about as inclusive and diverse as a 1920s South African country club, and they work hard to keep it that way.

88alice. poo poo that was hard

I get your point that the gzdoom forums are bad and that the modding scene is predominantly white men but that's because PC gaming in general is white men, and this is due to several socioeconomical reasons. I don't believe that gzdoomers or /vr/'s Doom threads lock learning materials away from people who aren't white men.

Segmentation Fault fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Apr 6, 2015

scroton_
Nov 12, 2014

Can't post for 6 days!

88alice. poo poo that was hard

She's not a modder.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

scroton_ posted:

She's not a modder.

She makes maps for Push. That counts on my end.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

scroton_ posted:

She's not a modder.
Yes she is.

I think she also worked on the Japanese Doom Community map set that's been in development for a bit.

scroton_
Nov 12, 2014

Can't post for 6 days!

She makes maps for Push. That counts on my end.

The Kins posted:

Yes she is.
I think she also worked on the Japanese Doom Community map set that's been in development for a bit.
She's a mapper, not a modder.

It's specifically the modding scene I'm talking about.

The mapping scene is inclusive but the modding scene is a bunch of fratboy brogrammers

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I am literally being triggered by the word "brogrammer" holy gently caress.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

scroton_ posted:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
She draws Romero's Head fanart, she can be whatever she wants to be.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

scroton_ posted:

The mapping scene is inclusive but the modding scene is a bunch of fratboy brogrammers

Oh okay, she's the wrong type of modder. Only certain modders are fratboy problematic brogrammer pissbabies, unlike nice guys like yourself.

scroton_
Nov 12, 2014

Can't post for 6 days!

I never mentioned anything about mapping in my posts, only modding.

scroton_ posted:

scroton_ posted:

You can't.

scroton_ posted:

She's not a modder.

Furthermore it's obvious I meant only modding from the start, since the toxic brogrammer culture I mentioned in my first post would only apply to modding since mapping does not involve coding anything.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

scroton_ posted:

Furthermore it's obvious I meant only modding from the start, since the toxic brogrammer culture I mentioned in my first post would only apply to modding since mapping does not involve coding anything.

Only brogrammers are coding and modding Doom. They're all jerks for hating my modwomen.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

All Men Are Evil and i Hate them........where are my cutie azn girl modders...........tfw no grf.......

*starts up a kickstarter for a dating sim doom mod embracing gender equality*

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

scroton_ posted:

Hey! You! The one reading this! Shut the gently caress up! No one cares!

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

my next TED talk will be attacking toxic brogrammer culture as we know it and how it plagues the doom modding industry like the ebola

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

MONKET posted:

All Men Are Evil and i Hate them........where are my cutie azn girl modders...........tfw no grf.......

I'd play that wad to be fair.

scroton_
Nov 12, 2014

Can't post for 6 days!
See, you can claim that I'm splitting hairs, but if I went on Doomworld and posted a thread asking everyone to try out my new map, and when they downloaded it they found a Brutal Doom spinoff mod everyone would be angry and confused. Likewise if I created a thread advertising a new mod with the file actually being an E1 replacement.

Oh okay, she's the wrong type of modder. Only certain modders are fratboy problematic brogrammer pissbabies, unlike nice guys like yourself.

RyokoTK posted:

I am literally being triggered by the word "brogrammer" holy gently caress.

Dewgy posted:

Hey! You! The one reading this! Shut the gently caress up! No one cares!

MONKET posted:

This kind of frantic thread-wide response to simply pointing out a problematic aspect of a male-centric corner of the Doom community rather than simply admitting that there might be issues just illustrates further how closed off and fiercely patriarchal the (G)ZDoom modding community really is.

scroton_ fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Apr 6, 2015

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I'll admit I actually have not a single clue what you're talking about at all, you're just being a shrieking moron who has an axe to grind.

MONKET posted:

my next TED talk will be attacking toxic brogrammer culture as we know it and how it plagues the doom modding industry like the ebola

The original modding industry. You know. No, not that one. The one with all the bros.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Jblade posted:

Can you send me a savegame of these occurences to my e-mail address? (jstanf36@gmail.com) Those errors you describe are very bizarre and I can't think of a reason why they would happen. Cheers.

I'll see if I can reproduce them later. Iiiii kinda stopped playing when I stopped being able to pull up the PDA no matter what key I assigned it to, no matter which save (of the two I ever keep during a playthrough) I loaded. Probably had to do something with cheating through broken doors.

Mod owns, gadzookingly rad amounts of effort and creativity and skill poured into it, a lot of really complex stuff works out fine, I think I'm just cursed.

e: also I work with a white brazilian doctor who took paycuts to tend to poor minorities and frequently gets our clinic in trouble for doing unscheduled, unpaid consultations during company hours so it is, in fact, the troll who is satan here

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Nintendo Kid posted:

I'd play that wad to be fair.

IIRC There actually was someone making a Dangan Ronpa-style dialogue mod and in his test video there was a delightfully awkward romantic love-confessing conversation between the doomguy and a programmer schoolgirl.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

LvK posted:

I'll see if I can reproduce them later. Iiiii kinda stopped playing when I stopped being able to pull up the PDA no matter what key I assigned it to, no matter which save (of the two I ever keep during a playthrough) I loaded. Probably had to do something with cheating through broken doors.

Mod owns, gadzookingly rad amounts of effort and creativity and skill poured into it, a lot of really complex stuff works out fine, I think I'm just cursed.

I found that if you use the Abort button on the PDA it keeps it from working until you make an actual new game. I'd suggest keeping a save inside the base before every mission unless you want to lose your weapon upgrades and credits.

Also this is the dumbest loving derail, take your stupid brogrammer idiot asses to hellthread or anywhere else.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

MONKET posted:

IIRC There actually was someone making a Dangan Ronpa-style dialogue mod and in his test video there was a delightfully awkward romantic love-confessing conversation between the doomguy and a programmer schoolgirl.

Was it an Imp schoolgirl? Or a Chaingunner schoolgirl?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Can you guys not gamergate up this nice thread? Please?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

scroton_ posted:

See, you can claim that I'm splitting hairs, but if I went on Doomworld and posted a thread asking everyone to try out my new map, and when they downloaded it they found a Brutal Doom spinoff mod everyone would be angry and confused. Likewise if I created a thread advertising a new mod with the file actually being an E1 replacement.

This kind of frantic thread-wide response to simply pointing out a problematic aspect of a male-centric corner of the Doom community rather than simply admitting that there might be issues just illustrates further how closed off and fiercely patriarchal the (G)ZDoom modding community really is.

You called everybody in the Doom modding scene pissbaby misogynists, challenged people to point out minorities in the scene, then when proven wrong decided to double down with sophistry. Every step of the way you've been incredibly abrasive, and given that several people in this thread including the OP are Doom modders, might have taken your insults personally. And why shouldn't they? You told them that by virtue of them modding a game they're no worse than those like Sgt. Mark IV, despite them calling out his bullshit constantly.

You didn't point out a problem. You attacked a group of people, several of whom are thread regulars, and when they reacted you're wondering why the gator bit you.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Elliotw2 posted:

I found that if you use the Abort button on the PDA it keeps it from working until you make an actual new game. I'd suggest keeping a save inside the base before every mission unless you want to lose your weapon upgrades and credits.

Also this is the dumbest loving derail, take your stupid brogrammer idiot asses to hellthread or anywhere else.

Ugh. I was afraid of this. I'll probably try it again in a few weeks.

Also I was kind of surprised how the Russian guy's voice grew on me. All of the voice acting sucks in this really charming, mega-amateur, tons-of-effort way that I can't be mad at but that guy was just kinda... special.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The good news is that starting a new game doesn't wipe your cleared missions, research, or base funds, just the credits and weapon upgrades from the vending machines.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Elliotw2 posted:

The good news is that starting a new game doesn't wipe your cleared missions, research, or base funds, just the credits and weapon upgrades from the vending machines.

Oh, that's okay then! Do I still get credits for beating the side missions even though I've beaten them earlier, because I'm a sucker for romping around seaside murderfests and metro areas in Duke3d.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Nintendo Kid posted:

Was it an Imp schoolgirl? Or a Chaingunner schoolgirl?

Boring-rear end normal human. However I do request there be made a Monster Girl Quest but with an all-Doom bestiary. Step aside impse.

I have no idea what the Revenant could do though.

scroton_
Nov 12, 2014

Can't post for 6 days!

You called everybody in the Doom modding scene pissbaby misogynists, challenged people to point out minorities in the scene, then when proven wrong decided to double down with sophistry. Every step of the way you've been incredibly abrasive, and given that several people in this thread including the OP are Doom modders, might have taken your insults personally. And why shouldn't they? You told them that by virtue of them modding a game they're no worse than those like Sgt. Mark IV, despite them calling out his bullshit constantly.
I can handle the responses, I'm just suggesting that rather than reacting with bile and anger at someone pointing out a legitimate issue that maybe they should spend some time in self-reflection and think of ways to address that problem. Listen and believe.

when they reacted you're wondering why the gator bit you.
Given that this thread seems to be full of gamergators that's a humorous choice of words.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

MONKET posted:

Boring-rear end normal human. However I do request there be made a Monster Girl Quest but with an all-Doom bestiary. Step aside impse.

I have no idea what the Revenant could do though.

The story of one Arch-Vile trying to find love and maybe resurrect a few friendships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

scroton_ posted:

Women can't handle Doom. The blood and gore is too much for their weak, berrypicking gatherer minds to comprehend. Men were evolved to be hunters and so we find thrill in running 40mph towards our prey with rocket launchers, which are in fact nothing more than explosive bows and arrows. It's biology, look it up.