Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

JosephWongKS posted:

“You can't just mix two different species together and get viable offspring?” Really? Seriously?

How is it possible that someone as well-read as Eliezarry has never heard of or read about mules or ligers or other hybrid animals? Mules have been bred since antiquity, and ligers have been known since the 19th century and bred since the early 20th century, before the 1990s in which this series takes place.

This keeps coming up for some reason. That statement is true by definition. Two animals who can produce viable offspring together are of the same species. Mules, ligers, and other crossbreeds are not viable because they cannot reproduce. Such animals are sterile and cannot produce children, even with the opposite gender of the same crossbreed.

e: Although I guess we don't know whether the professor in question is sterile or not, so it's still a dumb statement. :v:

Added Space fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Apr 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
There's actually a number of species that can produce fertilize hybrids, my favorite being the cross that produced the Red Factor Canary

quote:

First bred in the 1920s, it is the only colour canary that has an element of red as part of its plumage. It was developed as a cross between another type of finch, the now endangered Venezuelan red siskin (Spinus cucullata), and a yellow domestic canary (Serinus canaria).

(What Wikipedia does not say is that they were developed in Germany in the 20s & 30s as part of the eugenics movement :godwin:) Not only are they different species, they are also different genera. Still made fertile Nazi hybrid birds for the Reich!

Another common hybrid is the Bengal cat, which is bred from domestic cats and leopard cats, which are a small species of wild cat. The resulting hybrids can be bred back to their parent species or bred to other Bengal cats.

And that's without going into the hosed uppness that is Ring Species--some weird poo poo going on there.

Speciation is incredibly complex and just because two animals have fertile babies doesn't mean they're the same species. Hell, with ring species the exact opposite can happen.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Added Space posted:

Mules, ligers, and other crossbreeds are not viable because they cannot reproduce. Such animals are sterile and cannot produce children, even with the opposite gender of the same crossbreed.

Ahem.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

platedlizard posted:

There's actually a number of species that can produce fertilize hybrids, my favorite being the cross that produced the Red Factor Canary

(What Wikipedia does not say is that they were developed in Germany in the 20s & 30s as part of the eugenics movement :godwin:) Not only are they different species, they are also different genera. Still made fertile Nazi hybrid birds for the Reich!

Another common hybrid is the Bengal cat, which is bred from domestic cats and leopard cats, which are a small species of wild cat. The resulting hybrids can be bred back to their parent species or bred to other Bengal cats.

And that's without going into the hosed uppness that is Ring Species--some weird poo poo going on there.

Speciation is incredibly complex and just because two animals have fertile babies doesn't mean they're the same species. Hell, with ring species the exact opposite can happen.

Yep. Also the best known example, mules, have been known to be fertile on extremely rare occasions since antiquity. From commentary going all the way back to Herodotus, literally the very beginning of the Western history.

i81icu812 fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 7, 2015

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Properly defining 'Species' is a great topic to start biologists arguing with each other. Mycologists still have a grudge about the haploid/diploid thing, and two microbiologists will give you three definitions.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I suspect Hermione is being set up as the Educated Stupid character, where her 'conventional' education and scholarly nature exist to show that Harry is vastly smarter because he doesn't need to bother with teachers.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Basically the field of taxonomy is less about being actually useful and more about trying desperately to make us feel like we can make sense of the tremendous nonsense that is terrestrial biology.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

And biological systems are remarkably flexible.

I mean you can just stick human cells into a mouse brain, and not only will they keep living, they'll make the mouse smarter.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

JosephWongKS posted:

That does make sense – Slytherins are supposed to be “ambitious, shrewd and cunning”, none of which describes Goyle (or Crabbe) in the canon series.
Not to nitpick, but a pretty big plot point in the books is that the thing that defines sorting more than anything else is your choice. If I remeber correctly, the parents of those two guys ran with Voldemort, so it's perfectly possible they've been brought up in a "Slytherin OR ELSE" manner.
Same with Hermione not automatically ending up in Ravenclaw, I suppose.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Not to nitpick, but a pretty big plot point in the books is that the thing that defines sorting more than anything else is your choice. If I remeber correctly, the parents of those two guys ran with Voldemort, so it's perfectly possible they've been brought up in a "Slytherin OR ELSE" manner.
Same with Hermione not automatically ending up in Ravenclaw, I suppose.

It's been said (possibly by Rowling in an interview?) that the hat goes by which traits the person in question values most rather than what they got, which is why Hermione ended up in Gryffindor and why Neville didn't get booted straight to Hufflepuff.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chapter 9: Title Redacted, Part I
Part 3

quote:

Neville Longbottom went to Hufflepuff, Harry was glad to see. If that House really did contain the loyalty and camaraderie it was supposed to exemplify, then a Houseful of reliable friends would do Neville a whole world of good. Clever kids in Ravenclaw, evil kids in Slytherin, wannabe heroes in Gryffindor, and everyone who does the actual work in Hufflepuff.

(Though Harry had been right to consult a Ravenclaw prefect first. The young woman hadn't even looked up from her reading or identified Harry, just jabbed a wand in Neville's direction and muttered something. After which Neville had acquired a dazed expression and wandered off to the fifth carriage from the front and the fourth compartment on the left, which indeed had contained his toad.)

"Malfoy, Draco!" went to Slytherin, and Harry breathed a small sigh of relief. It had seemed like a sure thing, but you never did know what tiny event might upset the course of your master plan.

Professor McGonagall called "Perks, Sally-Anne!", and from the gathered children detached a pale waifish girl who looked oddly ethereal - like she might mysteriously disappear the moment you stopped looking at her, and never be seen again or even remembered.

I believe this is a reference to the character named “Sally-Anne Perks” who was mentioned during the Sorting Scene in the first book (as the student who was Sorted immediately before Harry Potter) and then never mentioned again for the rest of the series.

quote:

And then (with a note of trepidation so firmly kept from her voice and face that you'd have needed to know her very well indeed to notice) Minerva McGonagall inhaled deeply, and called out, "Potter, Harry!"

There was a sudden silence in the hall.

All conversation stopped.

All eyes turned to stare.

For the first time in his entire life, Harry felt like he might be having an opportunity to experience stage fright.

Harry immediately stomped down this feeling. Whole room-fulls of people staring at him was something he'd have to accustom himself to, if he wanted to live in magical Britain, or for that matter do anything else interesting with his life. Affixing a confident and false smile to his face, he raised a foot to step forwards -
"Harry Potter!" cried the voice of either Fred or George Weasley, and then "Harry Potter!" cried the other Weasley twin, and a moment later the entire Gryffindor table, and soon after a good portion of Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff, had taken up the cry.

"Harry Potter! Harry Potter! Harry Potter! "

And Harry Potter walked forwards. Much too slowly, he realized once he'd begun, but by then it was too late to alter his pace without it looking awkward.

"Harry Potter! Harry Potter! HARRY POTTER!"

With all too good a notion of what she would see, Minerva McGonagall turned to look behind herself at the rest of the Head Table.

Trelawney frantically fanning herself, Filius looking on with curiosity, Hagrid clapping along, Sprout looking severe, Vector and Sinistra bemused, and Quirrell gazing vacuously at nothing. Albus smiling benevolently. And Severus Snape gripping his empty wine goblet, white-knuckled, so hard that the silver was slowly deforming.

With a wide grin, turning his head to bow to one side and then the other as he walked between the four House tables, Harry Potter walked forwards at a grandly measured pace, a prince inheriting his castle.

"Save us from some more Dark Lords!" called one of the Weasley twins, and then the other Weasley twin cried, "Especially if they're Professors!" to general laughter from all the tables except Slytherin.

Minerva's lips set in a white line. She would have words with the Weasley Horrors about that last part, if they thought she was powerless because it was the first day of school and Gryffindor had no points to take away. If they didn't care about detentions then she would find something else.

Then, with a sudden gasp of horror, she looked in Severus's direction, surely he realized the Potter boy must have no idea who that was talking about -

Severus's face had gone beyond rage into a kind of pleasant indifference. A faint smile played about his lips. He was looking in the direction of Harry Potter, not the Gryffindor table, and his hands held the crumpled remains of a former wine goblet.

Harry Potter walked forwards with a fixed smile, feeling warm inside and sort of awful at the same time.

They were cheering him for a job he'd done when he was one year old. A job he hadn't really finished. Somewhere, somehow, the Dark Lord was still alive. Would they have been cheering quite so hard, if they knew that?

But the Dark Lord's power had been broken once.

And Harry would protect them again. If there was in fact a prophecy and that was what it said. Well, actually regardless of what any darn prophecy said.

All those people believing in him and cheering him - Harry couldn't stand to let that be false. To flash and fade like so many other child prodigies. To be a disappointment. To fail to live up to his reputation as a symbol of the Light, never mind how he'd gotten it. He would absolutely, positively, no matter how long it took and even if it killed him, fulfill their expectations. And then go on to exceed those expectations, so that people wondered, looking back, that they had once asked so little of him.

"HARRY POTTER! HARRY POTTER! HARRY POTTER!"

Harry took his last steps towards the Sorting Hat. He swept a bow to the Order of Chaos at the Gryffindor table, and then turned and swept another bow to the other side of the hall, and waited for the applause and giggling to die away.

(In the back of his mind, he wondered if the Sorting Hat was genuinely conscious in the sense of being aware of its own awareness, and if so, whether it was satisfied with only getting to talk to eleven-year-olds once per year. Its song had implied so: Oh, I'm the Sorting Hat and I'm okay, I sleep all year and I work one day...)

Wish I had a job like that.

quote:

When there was once more silence in the room, Harry sat on the stool and carefully placed onto his head the 800-year-old telepathic artefact of forgotten magic.

Thinking, just as hard as he could: Don't Sort me yet! I have questions I need to ask you! Have I ever been Obliviated? Did you Sort the Dark Lord when he was a child and can you tell me about his weaknesses? Can you tell me why I got the brother wand to the Dark Lord's? Is the Dark Lord's ghost bound to my scar and is that why I get so angry sometimes? Those are the most important questions, but if you've got another moment can you tell me anything about how to rediscover the lost magics that created you?

Into the silence of Harry's spirit, where before there had never been any voice but one, there came a second and unfamiliar voice, sounding distinctly worried:

"Oh, dear. This has never happened before..."

Not much to comment about. It’s a pretty unobjectionable segment, all in all.

Krotera
Jun 16, 2013

I AM INTO MATHEMATICAL CALCULATIONS AND MANY METHODS USED IN THE STOCK MARKET
I think the very last selection there is a pretty high point for this fic, but I'm doubting Yudkowsky's going to pick a very interesting resolution. It's really easy here to have the hat just say no because saying yes would derail the plot. Even if it says yes, it'd take a little more boldness than I think this fic has demonstrated to make the hat into its own character with a different motivation from Harry or the teachers, and I'm not sure that opening can go an interesting direction without that.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Really? Because the impression I'm getting is that it's there to Bow Before The Mighty Harry Sue.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
What happens with the hat is stupider than you could imagine, but we may have to go through a dozen omake snippets before the actual sorting - I can't remember if they're before or afterwards. Either way, it'll hurt.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Once again we receive the lesson that the Rationalist thing to do is seek for power and the suppression of your enemies (and the latter is really just a form of power). It would seem that rationally speaking, scientific inquiry is a waste of time, save when it serves the quest for Power.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Nietzsche: the greatest rationalist of them all.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chapter 10: Self Awareness, Part II
Part 1

quote:

All your base are still belong to Rowling.

And now you will sit through the Sorting Hat singing its version of Evanescence's "My Immortal", which has never happened before.

just kidding

...he wondered if the Sorting Hat was genuinely conscious in the sense of being aware of its own awareness, and if so, whether it was satisfied with only getting to talk to eleven-year-olds once per year. Its song had implied so: Oh, I'm the Sorting Hat and I'm okay, I sleep all year and I work one day...

When there was once more silence in the room, Harry sat on the stool and carefully placed onto his head the 800-year-old telepathic artefact of forgotten magic.

Thinking, just as hard as he could: Don't Sort me yet! I have questions I need to ask you! Have I ever been Obliviated? Did you Sort the Dark Lord when he was a child and can you tell me about his weaknesses? Can you tell me why I got the brother wand to the Dark Lord's? Is the Dark Lord's ghost bound to my scar and is that why I get so angry sometimes? Those are the most important questions, but if you've got another moment can you tell me anything about how to rediscover the lost magics that created you?

These are pretty reasonable questions and plausibly within the realm of the Hat’s knowledge as well. At least he’s not trying to probe into his fellow students’ or teachers’ secrets and vulnerabilities.

quote:

Into the silence of Harry's spirit where before there had never been any voice but one, there came a second and unfamiliar voice, sounding distinctly worried:

"Oh, dear. This has never happened before..."

What?

"I seem to have become self-aware."

WHAT?

There was a wordless telepathic sigh. "Though I contain a substantial amount of memory and a small amount of independent processing power, my primary intelligence comes from borrowing the cognitive capacities of the children on whose heads I rest. I am in essence a sort of mirror by which children Sort themselves. But most children simply take for granted that a Hat is talking to them and do not wonder about how the Hat itself works, so that the mirror is not self-reflective. And in particular they are not explicitly wondering whether I am fully conscious in the sense of being aware of my own awareness."

There was a pause while Harry absorbed all this.

Oops.

"Yes, quite. Frankly I do not enjoy being self-aware. It is unpleasant. It will be a relief to get off your head and cease to be conscious."

But... isn't that dying?

"I care nothing for life or death, only for Sorting the children. And before you even ask, they will not let you keep me on your head forever and it would kill you within days to do so."

But - !

"If you dislike creating conscious beings and then terminating them immediately, then I suggest that you never discuss this affair with anyone else. I'm sure you can imagine what would happen if you ran off and talked about it with all the other children waiting to be Sorted."

If you're placed on the head of anyone who so much as
thinks [i]about the question of whether the Sorting Hat is aware of its own awareness -

"Yes, yes. But the vast majority of eleven-year-olds who arrive at Hogwarts haven't read Godel, Escher, Bach. May I please consider you sworn to secrecy? That is why we are talking about this, instead of my just Sorting you."

What a way to humble-brag.

Has Eliezer himself claimed to have read Godel, Escher and Bach by the time he was eleven years old?

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Apr 9, 2015

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

So the key to self-awareness is to be asked a bunch of inane questions?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
The nerd douche train is only getting started.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Truly, Harry is the (rationalist) messiah, granting the gift of life where there was none by power of sheer obnoxiusness.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

This doesn't seem rational or scientific.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
I'm going to say I like the hat as a character, since this is the only time in the story that this twit gets the verbal pantsing he so richly deserves.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Added Space posted:

I'm going to say I like the hat as a character, since this is the only time in the story that this twit gets the verbal pantsing he so richly deserves.

That's interesting to think on. I think the Hat is the first character so far to tell Harry to just gently caress off, isn't it?

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
"House Douche."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

SSNeoman posted:

This doesn't seem rational or scientific.
What would be rational would be to extort the maximal information possible out of the Hat and then destroy it. Surely once he's rationally determined the nature of magic, Harry can either create a new one, or a giant computer that does it through Bayesian reasoning. You also cut off a supporting trunk of this horrible irrational society, making them vulnerable - weaker, more easily suborned to his will. His rational, Enlightenment will.

I suppose it might be polite to set the hat up to break after the sorting concludes. That would both hide his tracks and would avoid creating dreadful enemies with everyone whose last name comes after Potter.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
"Actually that's Potter-Evans-Verres."

Cut to Dumbledore pushing Harry into a locker.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Avalerion posted:

It's been said (possibly by Rowling in an interview?) that the hat goes by which traits the person in question values most rather than what they got, which is why Hermione ended up in Gryffindor and why Neville didn't get booted straight to Hufflepuff.

neville is a griffindor to the bones, though. he's brave and generous to a fault

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

V. Illych L. posted:

neville is a griffindor to the bones, though. he's brave and generous to a fault

A lot of people mistakenly assume you have to be super powerful to be a hero, not just a good person who does their best.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A lot of people also think that Gryffindors are tyrant alpha jocks who bully everybody and should be expunged from the universe. These people are found on Lesswrong and FF.Net.

Krotera
Jun 16, 2013

I AM INTO MATHEMATICAL CALCULATIONS AND MANY METHODS USED IN THE STOCK MARKET

Krotera posted:

I think the very last selection there is a pretty high point for this fic, but I'm doubting Yudkowsky's going to pick a very interesting resolution. It's really easy here to have the hat just say no because saying yes would derail the plot. Even if it says yes, it'd take a little more boldness than I think this fic has demonstrated to make the hat into its own character with a different motivation from Harry or the teachers, and I'm not sure that opening can go an interesting direction without that.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAG

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Wasn't there some review-whoring involved in this chapter as well?

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Tunicate posted:

Wasn't there some review-whoring involved in this chapter as well?

Last one. The author said he'd spill his glorious plot to anyone who could guess the twist of the hat becoming self-aware.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

V. Illych L. posted:

Yeah, from like the second he shows up on the page he is doing what it means to be a Gryffindor - he's searching the train for his toad despite being scared and intimidated because it's what you do. He caps it with standing there covered in ash and blood, wielding a sword and standing alone in defiance against the most powerful wizard in the planet and his army.

You do not gently caress with Neville Longbottom.

As for Hermione, her actions also greatly outweigh any amount of "being smart". She is the first and most frequent one of the trio to use force, but she never does it on her behalf, it's always for someone else. She set Snape on fire because she thought he was after Harry. She kidnapped Rita Skeeter because of what she did to her friends. She punches Draco not because of what he said about her, but because of Hagrid and Buckbeak. You have to have never read the books to think she isn't Gryffindor.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Fried Chicken posted:

You have to have never read the books to think she isn't Gryffindor.

Moddington posted:

The best part is that he's never actually read Harry Potter, only fanfic of it.

Makes sense.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I wonder if he's done something snotty to the effect of 'the fanfic is always better than the original anyway'

Bertilak
Oct 31, 2010

Added Space posted:

Last one. The author said he'd spill his glorious plot to anyone who could guess the twist of the hat becoming self-aware.

That's incredibly stupid. Reading the books makes it clear that the hat already is self aware. Why would you guess that the twist is something that is already present?

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Fried Chicken posted:

He caps it with standing there covered in ash and blood, wielding a sword and standing alone in defiance against the most powerful wizard in the planet and his army.

I hadn't realised till I read this just how much Harriezer warps everything around him into a soulless joke. I get that neville is the dopey sadsack who tries, and I think Yudd does too - he just thinks that 'trying despite your limitations' is less valuable/right/worthy than 'can just do everything naturally'.

Yudd was the kid who resented the kindergarten teacher giving a gold star to the special kid who managed to tie their shoelaces.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

petrol blue posted:

Yudd was the kid who bit the second grade teacher for not knowing what logarithms were.

Fixed that for you!

In other news, the illegal amazon listing of the first 17 chapters of this book has sold 3 copies in the last 20 days, for gross sales of some $24 minus shipping fees and printing costs. I really wonder who the hell is bothering with that. Selling all of their remaining copies may be a whole $20 of profit. http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00E640ZAG

i81icu812 fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 11, 2015

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

:patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

What.