Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

scroton_ posted:

It's par the course for a White Brazilian like Sgt. Mark IV; having lived in South Florida for much of my life and met several in that time I can attest that White Brazilians are all colonialist garbage and literally the most racist people on the entire planet. The state of classism and ethnic division in Brazil is basically Apartheid and Caste system rolled into one. All White Brazilians need to be lined up in front a ditch and shot.

I don't know what to take seriously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scroton_
Nov 12, 2014

Can't post for 6 days!

MONKET posted:

Women can't handle Doom. The blood and gore is too much for their weak, berrypicking gatherer minds to comprehend. Men were evolved to be hunters and so we find thrill in running 40mph towards our prey with rocket launchers, which are in fact nothing more than explosive bows and arrows. It's biology, look it up.
Wow, unsubstantiated evo psych mumbo.
Back to the MRA/PUA cesspit with you.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Uh, anyway, any other Wolfenstein 3D TC recommendations? I'm looking for ones with a more...robust, I suppose, experience than vanilla Wolf. I really enjoyed the poo poo out of Spear: End of the Destiny. It had neat extra things like switches manipulating pushwalls, medkits in your inventory, backpacks that increase your ammo capacity, stuff like that.

And no I'm not playing Eisenfaust: Legacy <:mad:>

(not unless someone tells me the cheats for it...)

Have you played any of my ECWolf stuff? :toot:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
My opinoin is that all progressivly-mided Doom modders should make their own community called Modding+ that supports minorities. That way, they can set up their own circular firing squad, and like all leftist groups, destroy themselves from in-fighting over the stupiest poo poo possible while the normal modding community watches in in amusement.

I propose Avira as the leader. She has already defeated Obsidian and saved noted important person A Major Fucker from a poem. The vice president will be scotron.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

Nintendo Kid posted:

The story of one Arch-Vile trying to find love and maybe resurrect a few friendships.

:ocelot::haw:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I normally consider myself sympathetic to the "SJW" side of things but this is getting ridiculous and we should take a chill pill.

Also on the subject of extensive Wolf 3D TCs:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/trench-warfare

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

LvK posted:

Oh, that's okay then! Do I still get credits for beating the side missions even though I've beaten them earlier, because I'm a sucker for romping around seaside murderfests and metro areas in Duke3d.

I'm pretty sure you just get credits for kills in general, so go for it.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

scroton_ posted:

No. I will forever mod Doom with a manic grin on my face, hunched over and stewing in my testosterone-laden fluids, ensuring that no women or minorities dare enter my community, my domain, my castle of demon armageddon and gib's, a haven of violent overpowering men forever. And you can never be rid of me for I am the (G)Zdoom modder of your nightmares, beholder of a billion tortured minorities, the goat with a thousand young: A cis white male.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Elliotw2 posted:

I'm pretty sure you just get credits for kills in general, so go for it.

HEAD FOR DE HILLS BECAUSE I'm READY TO KILL!!!

I mean

cool! Will probably start again soonish.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
also I like how Duke3d had such a goddamn comprehensive set of assets for restrooms and bathrooms that every single user map, ever, has to have a lovingly-detailed shitter.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

LvK posted:

also I like how Duke3d had such a goddamn comprehensive set of assets for restrooms and bathrooms that every single user map, ever, has to have a lovingly-detailed shitter.

Bathrooms are the most important part of Duke 3D so adding them into a map is essential.

Hell, even Duke3D itself has an elaborablty-detailed (for 1996) bathroom in E2L7, complete with a huge mirror and many standing toilets. You can't forget E3L7's destroyed bathroom as far as details go too.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
You can really tell that Duke 3D is the next link the FPS evolutionary chain by comparing the quality of its assets specifically intended for "bathroom creation" to the quality (or distinct lack thereof) of Doom's assets for creating bathrooms. Conservatively speaking, I'd wager that 99 out of 100 toilets built in Doom maps are embarrassments to their creators. Here's a toilet that's six feet wide. Here's a toilet seat at eye-level. Here's a toilet that might as well be a small swimming pool.

Now compare that to Duke 3D: What's one of the first things you see when you start up the game? Boom. A public bathroom with sinks, mirrors, stalls, and the suggestion of an alien taking a poo poo. You younger idiots may not understand this, but back in the dark ages of 1996, we'd hurry home from school just so we could spend hours, basking in the glow of a CRT monitor as we wandered around bathrooms and pool halls in Duke 3D, marveling at how real games had become.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Woolie Wool posted:

Have you played any of my ECWolf stuff? :toot:

Yes! Coffee Break was pretty good although the more modern sounding sfx for the rifle threw me for a loop. You wanna hurry up with Operation Serpent??? :argh:

I just beat the demo of ECWolf, which was really great, but man Return to Totenhaus' level design is just not for me.

Are you the same dude who made Spear Revisited or am I thinking of someone else? I remember reading someone was going to port that to ECWolf and then it never happened.

Unfortunately I can't seem to get Trench Warfare (or any non SDL Wolf thing) running smoothly under Dosbox.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

scroton_ posted:

Name a single female or non-whiteguy or non-hispanicguy (G)ZDoom modder.
LilWhiteMouse. Now please, kindly shut the gently caress up.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

You can really tell that Duke 3D is the next link the FPS evolutionary chain by comparing the quality of its assets specifically intended for "bathroom creation" to the quality (or distinct lack thereof) of Doom's assets for creating bathrooms. Conservatively speaking, I'd wager that 99 out of 100 toilets built in Doom maps are embarrassments to their creators. Here's a toilet that's six feet wide. Here's a toilet seat at eye-level. Here's a toilet that might as well be a small swimming pool.

Now compare that to Duke 3D: What's one of the first things you see when you start up the game? Boom. A public bathroom with sinks, mirrors, stalls, and the suggestion of an alien taking a poo poo. You younger idiots may not understand this, but back in the dark ages of 1996, we'd hurry home from school just so we could spend hours, basking in the glow of a CRT monitor as we wandered around bathrooms and pool halls in Duke 3D, marveling at how real games had become.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=748FIR_qs7I

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Unfortunately I can't seem to get Trench Warfare (or any non SDL Wolf thing) running smoothly under Dosbox.

Yeah, it's weird... DOSBox has always had issues running certain Wolf3D mods. I'm not exactly sure why that would be the case, since they definitely work fine in real DOS and most of the pure DOS mods don't do anything too completely outlandish simply because of memory restrictions.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

MONKET posted:

IIRC There actually was someone making a Dangan Ronpa-style dialogue mod and in his test video there was a delightfully awkward romantic love-confessing conversation between the doomguy and a programmer schoolgirl.

IIRC Terminus has a couple mockups of this sort of thing for the various powerups in Demonsteele. I hope they get added some day.

*FLIRTY GUN NOISES*

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

LvK posted:

I'll see if I can reproduce them later. Iiiii kinda stopped playing when I stopped being able to pull up the PDA no matter what key I assigned it to, no matter which save (of the two I ever keep during a playthrough) I loaded. Probably had to do something with cheating through broken doors.

Mod owns, gadzookingly rad amounts of effort and creativity and skill poured into it, a lot of really complex stuff works out fine, I think I'm just cursed.
Cheers dude, the PDU bug is actually fixed in a patch but I was running through some stress tests before uploading it to moddb. You can grab it here (but code can't be transferred to save games so if you're half-way through a level finish it and then unzip the patch into the AMC TC directory - you can then start a new game from the episode menu and pick up from where you left off)

quote:

Also I was kind of surprised how the Russian guy's voice grew on me. All of the voice acting sucks in this really charming, mega-amateur, tons-of-effort way that I can't be mad at but that guy was just kinda... special.
Heh, we tried :v: ChineseTonyDanza did some voices for the TC though and you can tell because they're insanely high quality compared to the rest. He did Grave's voice as well as some later enemies. Marty Kirra of the doom community also did some amazing voices for a villain later in the episode as well.

quote:

Oh, that's okay then! Do I still get credits for beating the side missions even though I've beaten them earlier, because I'm a sucker for romping around seaside murderfests and metro areas in Duke3d.
Yeah, replaying a mission still gets you upgrade credits and base budget.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Alain Post posted:

In fairness the GZDoom forums are extremely bad.

Behold, horror: http://forum.drdteam.org/viewforum.php?f=22

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

scroton_ posted:

Whose alt are you? Nobody sane has an alt account they use solely to troll the Early FPS thread.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Apr 6, 2015

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013

scroton_ posted:

I can handle the responses, I'm just suggesting that rather than reacting with bile and anger at someone pointing out a legitimate issue that maybe they should spend some time in self-reflection and think of ways to address that problem. Listen and believe.

Given that this thread seems to be full of gamergators that's a humorous choice of words.

They say I'm insane, but I'm not going around insulting the Doom community for being what it is.

Blame the people not in the group for not making enough of an effort to be in the group. I seriously doubt that the tools and knowledge are being hidden from minorities just because the Doom community (allegedly) hates them. I mean, most of this stuff is well documented, and, well, anyone can jump in if they want to.

Of course, if what you are really trying to say is that you think it is too difficult for minorities and women to program for (g)zdoom, then maybe you should consider taking the code for zdoom and create a fork with severely dumbed down code for modders. (The real "problem" may be that some people just have no interest in making maps or mods for Doom, just as I have no interest in trying to build a cold fusion reactor.)

On an unrelated note, I really do hope Sgt Mark IV releases Brutal Doom on schedule this time. (And on a vaguely related note to that, I don't think Sgt Mark IV was the one that put a dark skinned chaingunner in Doom II. So who is more racist, Sgt Mark IV for making a racist comment about a Doom II enemy, or Id Software for giving you the ability to simulate murdering black people in the first place? Chicken and/or the egg, fo sheezy.)

It's like Stormfront for GZDoom.

Woolie Wool posted:

FreeDoom's maps look so much better with the original Doom's graphics.

I like the effort that is being put into FreeDoom's graphics, even if it isn't 100% feature complete yet (it seems to work as a somewhat decent free replacement when used on Zandronum, where you don't really need the original maps).

I'm not entirely sure why they don't have separate builds for Plutonia/Evilution if the graphics are there but not really compatible with FreeDoom Phase 2/Doom II.

Jakcson fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 6, 2015

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.
Stop getting trolled by this guy's gimmick, wow. Y'all are too easy.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Jakcson posted:

I'm not entirely sure why they don't have separate builds for Plutonia/Evilution if the graphics are there but not really compatible with FreeDoom Phase 2/Doom II.

That'd mean having 64 additional placeholder levels...

Freedoom is supposed to be compatible with Doom II, TNT, and Plutonia mods. Freedoom's levels themselves can use whatever textures are available, including the Final Doomish ones.

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

That'd mean having 64 additional placeholder levels...

Freedoom is supposed to be compatible with Doom II, TNT, and Plutonia mods. Freedoom's levels themselves can use whatever textures are available, including the Final Doomish ones.

Well, yes, but even doom2.wad isn't entirely compatible with TNT and Plutonia textures.

The thing that bugs me is the walls that have shifting textures that look like hot garbage. (It's not really Freedoom's fault, but it's one of those things that I'm not sure they can easily fix.)

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Are TNT and Plutonia any good? I remember them being pretty hard and gimmicky, but overall not that bad.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
Plutonia is good, but hard, and the maps have a very well-developed style but are visually kind of samey. TNT is basically indistinguishable from every other mediocre 1996 megawad out there

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013

daft punk railroad posted:

Plutonia is good, but hard, and the maps have a very well-developed style but are visually kind of samey. TNT is basically indistinguishable from every other mediocre 1996 megawad out there

The Aliens TC was better. :v:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

uncleKitchener posted:

Are TNT and Plutonia any good? I remember them being pretty hard and gimmicky, but overall not that bad.

I just finished Plutonia. It has good parts but it's really gimmicky in a lot of places like you said. A lot of the levels play like they just placed revenants at random, added some keys and called it a day. I'd be hard pressed to recommend anything except MAP11. Beyond that, all you really get out of it is saying "Yay I beat Plutonia!"

There are some pretty bad errors in Plutonia as well. Like Odyssey of Noises is really keyed backwards, and would be much better if it went yellow blue red with the current placements.

TNT was okay but not great. It has some fun levels though, like Wormhole.

I'm glad I played both, but I'll likely never touch them again.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Yes! Coffee Break was pretty good although the more modern sounding sfx for the rifle threw me for a loop. You wanna hurry up with Operation Serpent??? :argh:

I just beat the demo of ECWolf, which was really great, but man Return to Totenhaus' level design is just not for me.

Are you the same dude who made Spear Revisited or am I thinking of someone else? I remember reading someone was going to port that to ECWolf and then it never happened.

Operation Serpent is being held back by the music, not much I can do but yell at Shane Strife to work faster. Please have patience.:)

What did you dislike about Totenhaus? I was aping the style of Laz Rojas, and I did as much as I could to make the level design less repetitive while still recognizable as an homage to the original.

As for Spear Revisited I did make it and I uh forgot to finish testing the ECWolf port. :downs:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

Whose alt are you? Nobody sane has an alt account they use solely to troll the Early FPS thread.

He's the Samsara ACS coder.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

And a brogrammer pissbaby by his own admission. Interesting...

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
We all hate ZDoom.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Alain Post posted:

We all hate ZDoom.

I hate women more than I hate ZDoom.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Arivia posted:

I just finished Plutonia. It has good parts but it's really gimmicky in a lot of places like you said. A lot of the levels play like they just placed revenants at random, added some keys and called it a day. I'd be hard pressed to recommend anything except MAP11. Beyond that, all you really get out of it is saying "Yay I beat Plutonia!"

There are some pretty bad errors in Plutonia as well. Like Odyssey of Noises is really keyed backwards, and would be much better if it went yellow blue red with the current placements.

TNT was okay but not great. It has some fun levels though, like Wormhole.

I'm glad I played both, but I'll likely never touch them again.

Actually, I remember playing Wormhole couple years back. The descending staircase and the posted shotgunners on what looked like checkpoints was a cool concept for a Doom level.

I might give both a try but I remember TNT having annoying enemy placements and some symmetric and confusing levels.

Which level was the one solely/the majority populated with pain elementals? I remember a level like that some time ago, but I'm not sure if I'm remembering it correctly or not.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Woolie Wool posted:

He is?

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

One of the two folks teases upcoming changes to Quake Live, and it doesn't look pretty: http://www.esreality.com/post/2725400/syncerror-teases-upcoming-features/

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
It's really weird how hostile this thread got at the suggestion that maybe we should try to get more people who aren't white or hispanic dudes into the community. :psyduck: Like, it was worded in kind of a confrontational and jargon-y way, but it's not a bad sentiment.

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble

:thejoke:

Seriously can we PLEASE stop this asinine bullshit and get back to talking about the relative merits of dn3d vs doom level design, or if Blood will ever get usable mouse look?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

TNT is really pretty bad in a lot of places, Plutonia has a lot of solid levels but a few lovely gimmicky levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

laserghost posted:

One of the two folks teases upcoming changes to Quake Live, and it doesn't look pretty: http://www.esreality.com/post/2725400/syncerror-teases-upcoming-features/

I don't see how any of that is particularly bad.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

It's really weird how hostile this thread got at the suggestion that maybe we should try to get more people who aren't white or hispanic dudes into the community. :psyduck: Like, it was worded in kind of a confrontational and jargon-y way, but it's not a bad sentiment.

It's mostly that I saw the word "brogrammer" and rolled my eyes so hard I got a headache.