Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

horse mans posted:

good excuse for supporting inethical business practices that hurt living people, imo

one can only opt out of so many harmful practices when the entirety of civilization is built upon them. this is sort of like the liberal version of "how dare al gore talk about global warming when he flies in airplanes and uses electricity!"

'all or nothing' is never a good strategy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

e.g. it's okay to buy things on amazon while still supporting policies that would force them to treat their workers better. that's why we have a thing called 'government', to manage the conflict between personal liberties and interests in the public space

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you can't kick a robot off the worksite when it's broken, you have to fix it. injured contractor? lol gtfo

universal minimum wage now

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Cocoa Crispies posted:

amazon literally owns the kiva robot company so maybe that's changing

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMpsMt7ETi8

imagine how much more efficient this would be if the robots were paid in Fulfillment Coins and had to pay in Beepcoins to beep and Move coins to move.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

duTrieux. posted:

death to all bankers

vote from the rooftops

eat the rich

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

duTrieux. posted:

we already have one or do you mean guaranteed basic income

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

annapacketstormaya posted:

we already have one or do you mean guaranteed basic income

yeah that's what i meant, i haven't had any coffee yet

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
counterpoint: enslave the poor so my life is slightly more comfortable

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
we already have laws that say you can't fire workers for getting hurt on the job, and that they have to be taken care of

and people ignore them

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Management posted:

counterpoint: enslave the poor so my life is slightly more comfortable
possibly the best username/post combo

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i don't like that i'm unable to order results in any way unless i pick a department first

I'm not sure the exact reason they do this since I haven't interacted with that team. If i had to guess, its because a lot of search systems at Amazon are Lucene-based and the way Lucene handles sorting by default is "Pull all of the fields you are sorting on into memory to sort them! You have enough memory right?", so you really have to narrow results down aggressively before doing a sort. Could be a business case too (engagement or some poo poo) but I tend to assume technical reasons for things like this.

PleasureKevin posted:

I was looking for random poo poo on Amazon yesterday cause I have free Prime for a bit and I found like 5 straight pages of the same item, zero variation or anything, all the same seller.

There are teams dedicated to tackling this issue. There's simply too much data out there to curate by hand, so automation is leaned on heavily, but that automation can be defeated by very clever or very uninformed sellers.

Shaggar posted:

also they do stupid poo poo like sometimes different versions of a product are listed separately and sometimes they are listed under one item page and other times they are done both ways. or like when they list tv seasons separately and out of order.

I have no idea about the TV season ordering thing, but the way in which this consolidation under an item page is accomplished is, in my opinion, pretty hacky and demonstrably prone to problems. I'm aware of efforts to fix this, so if those efforts pan out hopefully you'll see some improvement.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

we already have laws that say you can't fire workers for getting hurt on the job, and that they have to be taken care of

and people ignore them

if they got hurt because of their own negligence this is the correct action since they are a danger to those they work with.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

duTrieux. posted:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ryde posted:

I'm not sure the exact reason they do this since I haven't interacted with that team. If i had to guess, its because a lot of search systems at Amazon are Lucene-based and the way Lucene handles sorting by default is "Pull all of the fields you are sorting on into memory to sort them! You have enough memory right?", so you really have to narrow results down aggressively before doing a sort. Could be a business case too (engagement or some poo poo) but I tend to assume technical reasons for things like this.

There are teams dedicated to tackling this issue. There's simply too much data out there to curate by hand, so automation is leaned on heavily, but that automation can be defeated by very clever or very uninformed sellers.

I have no idea about the TV season ordering thing, but the way in which this consolidation under an item page is accomplished is, in my opinion, pretty hacky and demonstrably prone to problems. I'm aware of efforts to fix this, so if those efforts pan out hopefully you'll see some improvement.

What you need is a large scale reorg of your product database. like use an actual directory database and define object classes for products. then you can still dynamically generate pages based on object classes instead of "well I think star trek is a tv show so lets put the movies under that heading" or whatever crap it is now. same with categories and filter values. so like instead of memory being just an empty product with some properties that hopefully match what people search for, memory is an object class with required fields like speed and size and format etc... each of those fields has types based on possible values. so now people cant even enter a product into your system unless they enter in all the associated product data. and not just that but your field type definitions can also be used for choosing how to display the filters. again, you gain all the benefits of highly curated data while maintaining the automatic generation of pages and categories and all that poo poo.

also you should tie branded items together into either automatic or manually curated sites. so like if someone searches "star trek" instead of search results they get the star trek brand page with very clear links to things like the tv shows and the movies and merch and terrible books. etc... this could also be automated if you make brands an object class and require the base product object class to have a brand property that is of type brand. then you can generate pages automatically for all brands, and then they can pay you to manually adjust the page.

jesus christ I don't even care just fix it. also give me an api for prime video so I can make a client that isn't rear end.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Dubstep Jesus posted:

*dons LF hat*

there is no ethical consumption under capitalism!!!!

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
amazon has approximately 300 million SKUs

sticking all the product data in a single index, in memory, is totally practical on modern hardware

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

sticking all the product data in a single index, in memory, is totally practical on modern hardware

how do you fan out the constanat changes, how do you make displaying query results take <10ms (including enough data to actually draw the results screen), etc.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
ok i'm sure there are other constraints but there's no way memory size is one of them

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

what I said does not imply that. sorting is expensive compare to just filtering. requiring the result set to be filtered small enough before allowing advanced sorting option is something I've seen done before to manage tradeoffs. this applies even to sharded data sets. I have no idea what they actually do because I've never talked with that team, but I felt like throwing out speculation since others seemed to be doing the same.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

google search has no poo poo gotten really bad

i used to be able to find a thing by just drunkenly putting words into the thing until it gave a result but it doesnt work anymore

what is a good replacement

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Snapchat A Titty posted:

i used to be able to find a thing by just drunkenly putting words into the thing until it gave a result but it doesnt work anymore

idk why google search doesn't want me to see nude celebrities even w/ safesearch "off" but bing is good for that

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

and people ignore them

well they don't ignore them. they just fire those workers for reasons entirely unrelated to their injuries.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ryde posted:

man, if only amazon could capitalize on a service like mechanical turk. i wonder what the reason is behind those two companies not speaking with each other. it could really be beneficial for each of them imo

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

anthonypants posted:

man, if only amazon could capitalize on a service like mechanical turk. i wonder what the reason is behind those two companies not speaking with each other. it could really be beneficial for each of them imo

i cannot comment on this specifically butttttt i can say that a TON of this poo poo goes on and the reason is pride

also corporate initiative to reduce dependence on vendors and build in-house is a huge thing

no naming names, but lots of companies right now are making choices to inhouse poo poo that they used to vendor out and finding it difficult to meet the new ops requirements, such is life

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Snapchat A Titty posted:

my favorite thing is where google will completely refuse to search for a word that is part of a phrase that is much more common

for example say you search "yospos good posters" and all the search results show "yospos bad posters" with bad highlighted as though that was part of the search

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

hobbesmaster posted:

my favorite thing is where google will completely refuse to search for a word that is part of a phrase that is much more common

for example say you search "yospos good posters" and all the search results show "yospos bad posters" with bad highlighted as though that was part of the search
yeah you have to either use quotes or click on search tools and select "verbatim" from the all results drop-down

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

ugh I can't stand when google decides I didn't mean what I was searching for, but the antonym instead

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

can't see the logic for the fuzz

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

it didnt have the heart to tell you there were no results for yospos good posters

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Also sometimes when you search for yospos -bad posters it does "showing results for yospos bad posters instead"

Like, that's the opposite of what I wanted!!!

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

yospos -bad posters expands to

yospos,
posters,
!bad

since there are no good results for that set it will drop "-bad"

what you wanted was:

yospos -"bad posters" which will simply return 0

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

annapacketstormaya posted:

The province east of Tokyo?

PART 1 Chiba City Doobs

ONE

The sky above the port was the color of dank, dank clouds in front of a tv, tuned to a dead channel.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
or when im trying to search for something and it keeps trying to rewrite my search query to things that i dont mean so i go back and backspace what it wrote and try typing my query again and it changes it again automatically

like at least apple's autocorrect understands hte "only try to correct me once" thing where once you un-correct it it just shuts the gently caress up and lets you do whatever

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

robots for warehouse poo poo have existed for like 20+ years. they keep using untrained wage laborers instead because they are cheaper

you can't kick a robot off the worksite when it's broken, you have to fix it. injured contractor? lol gtfo

yeah i assume it's this

amazon made a big deal about their robit-powered warehouses back during the bubble 1.0 era.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

ultramiraculous posted:

yeah i assume it's this

amazon made a big deal about their robit-powered warehouses back during the bubble 1.0 era.

and today? do they use robots, which surely have advanced since then? or did they scratch them in favor of people running around?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

they turned the robots into hand-held scanners that continuously audibly count the seconds until the wage slave is fired

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Shaggar posted:

if they got hurt because of their own negligence this is the correct action since they are a danger to those they work with.

quoting so he can't edit it

lol

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Shaggar posted:

Wrong motherfucker. Workplaces are where performance pressure collide with Occupational Health and Safety. Even when a worker is negligent, responsibility falls on the employer because they're responsible for the circumstances that led to that negligence, whether its through lacklustre management staff, processes, or unrealistic productivity demands.

Behaviour based safety is a farce, honest root cause analysis will always find its way back up to management if it wasn't just an rear end covering exercise most of the time.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

lmfao
cremnob did you notice that until this post, nobody noticed or cared that you got a 30 day?
nobody will care again for the next 11 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
#freecremnob #jesuiscremnob

• Locked thread