Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Samfucius posted:

Is it Victorian Anor Londo? Because it looks like Victorian Anor Londo.

Pretty much. It's at the intersection of Anor Londo, Dunwall, and the castle area in Resident Evil 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

DFO coming back to life last week reminded me of one thing I really like.

The Female Mage, who is a little girl and the only character to not be already inured to conflict and punching keebler elves, trips whenever she makes a dash attack and doesn't connect. If you look real hard, it also looks like she's attempting (and failing) to correct her impending fall before she trips and slides. :3:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

bewilderment posted:

The combat log is useful and you should expand it to be taller than it is, really. Also a lot of the auto-pause options should be on. 'Enemy spotted' and 'combat started' are good ones, as might be 'trap spotted'. 'Endurance low' is good for knowing what the hell just hit you, as is 'ally downed'. 'Enemy downed' lets you immediately retarget as soon as you kill one target. I don't currently have it on but I think there's also 'enemy spell starting' which lets you know to get the hell out of an AoE.

It's worth mentioning that if you mouseover an event like someone landing a crit or a miss or dealing x damage in the combat log, it displays the exact calculations and rolls that led to that outcome.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
It's not so much a "little thing" as it is a major system of the game, but I really like how Valkyria Chronicles fixed the problem most SPRGs fall victim to where some of your characters are way more powerful and than others, which means they get more kills and earn more experience points, which only makes them even more powerful and the other characters even more useless.

The way they fix it is by making experience points go to a single communal pool rather than to individual units. On top of that, when you do allocate it it levels up entire character classes rather than individual units: if you level up the Sniper class from level 6 to level 7 that means every sniper in your army is level 7, even future new recruits. And on top of that in battles the entire party shares a single communal pool of action points, so you only have to use units when they're useful but they also have limited ammo and diminishing returns on their stamina so it's in your best interest to not just use a single character over and over.

And you'd probably think that this would make all of your characters in each class completely interchangeable, but every unit you can recruit has a completely unique face and voice actor and a ton of little character-specific buffs so both from a strategic standpoint and a roleplaying one you have plenty of reasons to pick one person over the other. And characters can permanently die but the game is fairly generous at allowing you to revive them (if you touch them within three turns of dying they are instantly whisked away by a medic and no worse for wear afterwards) so you have consequences and a sense of danger without falling into the Final Fantasy Tactics/Fire Emblem trap of resetting every time somebody dies.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
A little thing I like in Resident Evil: Revelations 2 is a bit of unintentional foreshadowing that there is more than one Wesker involved in the plot. In the raid mode, you can play as Wesker, but unlike in every other RE horde mode he's not referred to 'Wesker', he's called 'Albert'. This is due to the fact that you unlock the ability to play as this game's Wesker, Alex, after beating it, so calling him just Wesker would be confusing. Again, totally unintentional foreshadowing, but it counts imo v:v:v

As for an actual little thing, I like that the game gives you a reason to swap to the co-op partners outside of the standard co-op puzzles in single player; when you're playing as the co-op characters you can do stealth moves that the gun toting one can't do as well as point out shiny objects that you otherwise can't see or pick up. It makes them feel more useful for sure.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The Ang Lee Hulk movie tie in game was bad and the worst part were stealth missions where you had to play as Banner and really how could Banner ever be fun to play as? Well Hulk: Ultimate Destruction was real fun and as a play on how much people hated the stealth missions in the other one, they added their own. Hulk would destroy a truck, pick up the frame, cover himself with it, and walk around like some sort of gamma powered Fred Flintstone.

Also there was an unlockable Savage Bruce Banner skin.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

The Ang Lee Hulk movie tie in game was bad and the worst part were stealth missions where you had to play as Banner and really how could Banner ever be fun to play as? Well Hulk: Ultimate Destruction was real fun and as a play on how much people hated the stealth missions in the other one, they added their own. Hulk would destroy a truck, pick up the frame, cover himself with it, and walk around like some sort of gamma powered Fred Flintstone.

Also there was an unlockable Savage Bruce Banner skin.

It required you playing thorough the game one more time in order to afford the dang thing but man was it worth it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I don't own a PS4, but something I appreciate about Bloodborne is that when you boot up the game, you are greeted by this before the title screen:

It's nice to see From finally taking the steps to letting people just play their games single player.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
I love procedural science fiction. I'm the guy who would play an entire game made out of the intro to Half-Life - just Gordon Freeman Goes To Work And Everything Is Fine. Gimme 80 hours of that poo poo and I'm happy as can be.

Given that, my favorite little thing in a game recently has been that in Elite: Dangerous there is an option in your ship's cockpit - Not the game settings, but in your SHIP - that de-automates preflight checks. Toggle it and you've got to go through the preflight checklist every time you take off. It adds a few seconds to the departure proceedings, but I love it because I'm weird.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

CJacobs posted:

I don't own a PS4, but something I appreciate about Bloodborne is that when you boot up the game, you are greeted by this before the title screen:

It's nice to see From finally taking the steps to letting people just play their games single player.

It is pretty nice. Funny thing is even when playing online you're way less likely to get invaded than in the Souls games.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Exit Strategy posted:

Half-Life - just Gordon Freeman Goes To Work And Everything Is Fine

Speaking of such, in Viscera Cleanup Detail, you're a janitor cleaning up the gore left after a space marine came through and blew up some aliens from some other game. Whatever, now there's a mess and this research lab needs to be cleaned up!

I love all the scenes, carefully constructed to parody games like Doom and Half-Life with bloody messages written on the walls (that you have to clean), chest-high walls with piles and piles of bullet casings behind them (that you have to sweep up) across the room from several dismembered alien bodies and bullet holes (that you have to collect/incinerate and weld closed, respectively). It's very zen, and surprisingly fun co-op.

When you clock out, the latest patch added a ton of optional paperwork, asking things like "how many bodies of scientists did you collect? Be accurate so we know how many people to rehire, we don't really keep track ourselves" and similar.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Wolfenstein: The New Order was really quite neato.

At one point the main character has to infiltrate a forced labor camp. When I realized that this was the direction they were going in, I dreaded playing on because portraying a dark, sensitive, complicated, historically-based thing like Nazi labor camps might be crazy-insane (because videogames + heavy historical issues = sometimes hosed up). Luckily, you're only on the edge of things and aren't necessarily going through the whole camp to complete the mission. You're sort of trapped in one section and then get out. It's not a total parade of misery and there isn't an overarching "look at how hosed up we can be" sort of thing going on. Made me breathe a sigh of relief. In a game full of Nazi-Robot-Dogs, moon bases, and occult mysteries, it was nice to see at least a teeny-tiny touch of restraint.

Other things:

- The ambient music in the game was amazing.
- Your home base is beautiful: a living, breathing resistance headquarters
- Great characters, including Irene Engel, the "Ilsa She-Wolf" villain
- being able to play the original Wolfenstein as a "nightmare" sequence

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Captain Hotbutt posted:

- Your home base is beautiful: a living, breathing resistance headquarters

Yeah, the resistance HQ is small but so full of details.

I love how vibrant the color scheme is in it to, in constrast to the gray concrete and steel monolithic architecture of the nazis.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

I'm replaying metroid fusion and just finished the area where you get the varia suit, for those who don't know samus is now weak to cold and the X parasites somehow know that and develop the ability to be ice cold by entering the sub-zero climate zone. Every one of the cold parasites home in on samus, travelling through platforms and such.

In the room after you get the varia suit, which allows samus to deal with extreme temperatures 5 cold x parasites swarm her, but now she can absorb them. every cold x parasite you meet after that now actively runs away from you

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Captain Hotbutt posted:

- being able to play the original Wolfenstein as a "nightmare" sequence

Only the first level, and you have to complete the level to get out

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Only the first level, and you have to complete the level to get out

I like the parallels between the final battle with Deathshead in The New Order and the one with mecha Hitler, including their mech designs.

Compare http://i.imgur.com/rQH829X.jpg and http://i.imgur.com/nVeHlYr.jpg.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tiberius Thyben posted:

I like the parallels between the final battle with Deathshead in The New Order and the one with mecha Hitler, including their mech designs.

The only thing I hated about the final boss was the environmental hazard which was more annoying than threatening. Otherwise, loved that game even though I got into it with a bad attitude.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I liked looking around at the news stories about what had happened after world war 2

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I really like the mimics in Dark Souls. Like most fantasy games, the mimics look like chests but attack the character if one attempts to open them. You can tell at a glance if a chest is a mimic by the way the chain is laying out in front of it, but there's another, more subtle way to tell. If you look at a mimic carefully, you can see it take occasional shallow breaths and open and close it's lid. You can even see the tiny fingers that it uses as teeth in the gap. It's a little unsettling, but that's Dark Souls for you.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

In torchlight 2 you can feed your pet fish to change it into a different creature with different abilities for a few minutes. One of them turns it into a mimic so you can have an adorable monster treasure chest hopping after you.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

LawfulWaffle posted:

I really like the mimics in Dark Souls. Like most fantasy games, the mimics look like chests but attack the character if one attempts to open them. You can tell at a glance if a chest is a mimic by the way the chain is laying out in front of it, but there's another, more subtle way to tell. If you look at a mimic carefully, you can see it take occasional shallow breaths and open and close it's lid. You can even see the tiny fingers that it uses as teeth in the gap. It's a little unsettling, but that's Dark Souls for you.

Somehow missed all of that. I just whack every chest I open (and by habit even ones I know are safe) before I go for it.
If there were a mimic variant that braved that first hit without reacting, I'd be murdered in no time.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Sad lions posted:

Somehow missed all of that. I just whack every chest I open (and by habit even ones I know are safe) before I go for it.
If there were a mimic variant that braved that first hit without reacting, I'd be murdered in no time.

Dark Souls 2 evolved methods against that: destructible chests.

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

Yeah, but those take 2 hits to destroy. Unless they just have a set amount of damage they can take.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Deathshead even screams "Die Allied Pigdog" just like Mecha Hitler did.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

cowboythreespeech posted:

Yeah, but those take 2 hits to destroy. Unless they just have a set amount of damage they can take.

3, I think. Enough to get a few practice hits in.

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

I just give 'em one weak blow and then stick my head right in.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
Lol if you haven't perfected the exact amount and type of attacks you need to put into a mimic to kill it before it stands up.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

You don't need strategy when you use a big gently caress off sword that stun locks mimics until they are dead

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Black Mesa has its issues, but that scene during Forget about Freeman where the Xen flyers and Marine jets are wheeling overhead at sunset? Pretty bad rear end.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

StandardVC10 posted:

Black Mesa has its issues, but that scene during Forget about Freeman where the Xen flyers and Marine jets are wheeling overhead at sunset? Pretty bad rear end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtTmiYA5D4k

The big marine fight in the lobby just before (or after?) that where this plays is radical as hell too.

edit: Found a vid. The scientists/Barney's reactions afterward is just great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2_tcN0IBVw

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 03:00 on Apr 6, 2015

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Renzuko posted:

I'm replaying metroid fusion and just finished the area where you get the varia suit, for those who don't know samus is now weak to cold and the X parasites somehow know that and develop the ability to be ice cold by entering the sub-zero climate zone. Every one of the cold parasites home in on samus, travelling through platforms and such.

In the room after you get the varia suit, which allows samus to deal with extreme temperatures 5 cold x parasites swarm her, but now she can absorb them. every cold x parasite you meet after that now actively runs away from you

The flag that causes blue X to run away from you is not set until you actually absorb one of them. If you keep dodging them like before, they will continue to chase you, potentially for the rest of the game.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

CJacobs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtTmiYA5D4k

The big marine fight in the lobby just before (or after?) that where this plays is radical as hell too.

edit: Found a vid. The scientists/Barney's reactions afterward is just great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2_tcN0IBVw

That lobby fight is hard as poo poo, too. If you don't know what's coming the marines will destroy you as you try to find cover.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

They will destroy you no matter what you do because they are literal aimbots. That player is doing the choreography it demands perfectly, and they still take off over half his HP just by existing for a nonzero amount of time.

Wrong thread I know, but they really ruined black mesa for me. Anytime they showed up the game suddenly changed from half-life to really boring whack-a-mole and repeated quickloads because there was pretty much no other option short of memorizing everything.

Everything before they show up was great.

Owl Inspector has a new favorite as of 07:16 on Apr 6, 2015

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Black Mesa is thing_dragging_this_game_down.exe, between the overtuned marines and the inability to jump onto anything without subsequently pressing the crouch button so that Gordon can retract his giant dangling ballsack that otherwise collides with ledges and makes him fall backwards.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Phobophilia posted:

Black Mesa is thing_dragging_this_game_down.exe, between the overtuned marines and the inability to jump onto anything without subsequently pressing the crouch button so that Gordon can retract his giant dangling ballsack that otherwise collides with ledges and makes him fall backwards.

So the ballsack is what's dragging the game down, then?

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
I finished Asylum and moved onto City in the Batman series, and from console to PC respectively. The framerate difference is just bonkers, the game is way more enjoyable at 60 fps. And the remote-control Batarang has a targeting reticle!

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

the inability to jump onto anything without subsequently pressing the crouch button so that Gordon can retract his giant dangling ballsack that otherwise collides with ledges and makes him fall backwards.

That's a source engine thing, isn't it? Not exclusive to Black Mesa.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I'm replaying Shadowrun Dragonfall, and I'm at an early part where you're infiltrating a hotel taken over by a nasty gang.

At one point, you get to a hotel console to try and find the code to a room you need to get into. One option on that console is to go into the Administrator Menu, and it prompts you to type in a password. I work in internet support, and I was just thinking, "What might be a good default password...?"

So I typed in 'ADMIN' and it gave me access. I didn't really get info that I couldn't get otherwise, but it was so great that that worked.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Lord Lambeth posted:

Yes, but the Black Mesa developers are the ones who made the jumps just a little too high to make with an ordinary jump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Lord Lambeth posted:

Not really. There are some places in the original Goldsrc Half-Life where a crouch-jump is required, but nowhere in HL2 or Portal.

(This was one aspect of Black Mesa that I wasn't really able to fix with .cfg changes. I did increase the Marines' reaction times slightly, increased the headshot damage multiplier, and increased the MP5 damage a bit, so you can take them on with a weapon besides the .357 magnum.)