Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

PleasantDirge posted:

bad bots take advantage of people don't know who's a good bot that buys at fair prices.

Absent anything else, that's not much different from reality if you sub "traders" in for "bots".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Kyrosiris posted:

Absent anything else, that's not much different from reality if you sub "traders" in for "bots".

Yeah, do you really think no one gets ripped off selling to stores? :psyduck:

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It's not so much bots as the spitefuck that is the interface.

The Valve marketplace so thoroughly embarrasses MTGO even with all the Russian underground scam wars or whatever it is constantly posting news about.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Kyrosiris posted:

Well yeah, that's where an actual market with global buy and sell orders fixes things. It takes a really great fool to sell something for half of its value when they can click on "Marketplace" and see a list of active buy orders offering double what XxSleazeBag69xX is for the same card. The bots aren't really the problem, the lack of a real marketplace is.

--

In fairness though, Goatbots has actually done quite a lot of work in narrowing the spread and cutting out the extreme arbitrage - I'll confess to not having checked things recently, and the situation sure seems a lot less lovely than it was a while back (providing you're trading cards from Innistrad onwards, that is).

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
I use MarlonBots (You can google em) and they have always seemed to have fair prices. Who knows, cause I am part of the unwashed masses who doesn't bother to really price check all that much.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Man I got really hype to build Tiny Leaders Anafenza, Ghost Waifu, and run First Response, Martial Coup, and all manner of "vomit tokens get value" cards.

And then I saw the dreaded words.

:negative:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Count Bleck posted:

Man I got really hype to build Tiny Leaders Anafenza, Ghost Waifu, and run First Response, Martial Coup, and all manner of "vomit tokens get value" cards.

And then I saw the dreaded words.

:negative:

Yeah. She'd be kind of nuts (and probably an auto include in Jeskai Tokens) if she triggered off of any creature.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I just wish it was "put a +1/+1 counter on target creature" rather than Bolster.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Lunsku posted:

Okay, I'll bite. Where do you get this "actual worth" here? Surely you're not comparing to paper prices or something equally silly?

Its not even true unless you only use the shadiest, small scale bots. Some bot chains like mtgotraders have very static buy/sell prices - they don't sell terribly high, nor do they buy terribly high, but the relationship between the buy and sell prices is fairly predictable at like 85% of the sell price as the buy price.

The really small bot chains will offer you lowballs because it sometimes works on people who are total fools.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 6, 2015

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I want to see someone netdeck this without catching that Darkslick Shores got mistyped as Darkslick Drake.
http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=9376&d=253764&f=MO

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Mistyped netdecks would be a good thunderdome theme

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I don't know where people are getting that 50% number. Reserve your scorn for places like SCG that actually do have 50% margins.

The good bot chains have completely transparent pricing and their margins are actually quite reasonable:

http://www.goatbots.com/prices-ktk.php

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

http://nationaldirectrepro.com/shop/canon-ipf-605-24-color-plotter/

Sick deal on the printer though.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Seems legit.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
Turns out the printer is a nonfunctional 3d-printed model of the actual printer, and lol if you think he's going to sell either of those.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Didn't see this announcement here: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/preliminary-pro-tour-qualifier-updates-2015-04-06

Helene Bergeot posted:

After observing the first round of Preliminary Pro Tour Qualifiers (PPTQs), and after receiving feedback from stores and players, we will be implementing a change in the formats that stores can select from when sanctioning their PPTQs.

Starting with the Preliminary Pro Tour Qualifiers scheduled to take place June 6 to August 16, stores can only sanction PPTQs in two different formats: one will match the Constructed format for the Pro Tour the PPTQ is tied to, and the other will be Sealed Deck. For the next round of sanctioning, this means that a store can only sanction Modern Constructed and Sealed Deck.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

See this disappoints me because I know every store in my area will absolutely not host a Modern PPTQ.

:sigh:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Count Bleck posted:

See this disappoints me because I know every store in my area will absolutely not host a Modern PPTQ.

:sigh:

I'm sure TOGIT will if you feel like driving an hour.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mcmagic posted:

I'm sure TOGIT will if you feel like driving an hour.

Bleh, I hate nothing more than driving the parkway on a Sunday.

I'll manage, and probably go anyway.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

What are the formats for the pro tours?

Does this mean I'm more likely or less likely to have modern / legacy tournaments or am I going to have standard forced down my throat?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Sigma-X posted:

Does this mean I'm more likely or less likely to have modern / legacy tournaments or am I going to have standard forced down my throat?

This year there are 3 Standard, 1 Modern, and the modern one already happened.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

You'll eat the Standard and you'll like it

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
There's a large eastern US contingent of Magic goons in here, right? I'm moving to Philadelphia next month, where are the cool places to play Magic located so I can subtly sway where my fiancée and I end up living?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Serioustalk:

It is 100% bullshit that this is legal:

while this is banned:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Count Bleck posted:

Bleh, I hate nothing more than driving the parkway on a Sunday.

I'll manage, and probably go anyway.

U act like there is a better time to drive on the parkway than on sunday lol.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Toshimo posted:

Serioustalk:

while this is banned:

It does strike me as kinda silly since, you know, you have to put mana into the Thopter/Sword combo, you can't just fart out NI thopters at will.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Toshimo posted:

Serioustalk:

while this is banned:

Because that combo is too stupid to be legal.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Because that combo is too stupid to be legal.

Lmao how is a couple of tokens every turn more stupid than infinite exarchs to your face

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Toshimo posted:

Serioustalk:

while this is banned:

Ban both. Infinite combos are boring and non interactive.

E: that may have been your point

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Thopter-sword isn't an infinite combo :psyduck:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

Lmao how is a couple of tokens every turn more stupid than infinite exarchs to your face

IDK. It's just stupid.

(There is no reason for it to be banned)

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

sword of the meek isn't infinite without kcw and w/ kcw it's a 3 card combo

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Zoness posted:

sword of the meek isn't infinite without kcw and w/ kcw it's a 3 card combo

Ah. Forgot it needed a third card, haven't seen it played in years. Yeah it should probably be unbanned.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Ah. Forgot it needed a third card, haven't seen it played in years. Yeah it should probably be unbanned.

i mean thoptersword never ran kcw cuz it shat on aggro w/out going infinite

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mcmagic posted:

U act like there is a better time to drive on the parkway than on sunday lol.

I would rather sleep on a sunday. :colbert:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I think the reason WOTC keeps Sword of the Meek banned is because Thopter Foundry and Sword of the Meek are both 2 mana cards and they consider it to be simply degenerate to start making progressively larger armies of tokens every turn.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Remind me what kcw is short for, please.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Ramos posted:

King Cob Web

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Ramos posted:

Krark Clan Ironworks, I believe.

• Locked thread