Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
What I was trying to get at in regards to time value and poor people is that you're implying that the immediacy of things such as bills, insurance, room and board are things that can be tolerably delayed in lieu of doing things like investing and/or saving when that is incredibly not true in most cases. Time preference will always have to be money right now under these circumstances, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

UIApplication posted:

BACK
DOOR
BULL
BANS

That Gay Marriage Slippery Slope? There it is.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Raskolnikov38 posted:

If Obama works a 'the next six months will be critical' into it I'll bump his presidential ranking above Lincoln.
I'm the first party pooper to say I am not impressed with trollbama, but this would be extremely epic

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Your monthly reminder to come check out the 2016 primary thread to be kept abreast of all the hilarious primary stuff, like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efHGNzG3KJg

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

Still totally legal to carry a working firearm on school property in Tennessee, but please no toy guns or swords.

This is a clear violation of the second amendment rights of Highlanders, sighing Reagans, and Renfaire enthusiasts!

quote:

This is a clear violation of the second amendment rights of Highlanders, sighing Reagans, and Renfaire enthusiasts!

quote:

Highlanders

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE! :ssj:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

"The doctrine of the United States cannot simply be, 'suck on this'." ~ Barack Obama, hopefully.

2016 Republican campaign slogan spotted

'Suck on this' and 'Yes it can'

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Joementum posted:

Your monthly reminder to come check out the 2016 primary thread to be kept abreast of all the hilarious primary stuff, like this:

His dad may have been a "different kind" but Rand is pretty much your standard boilerplate Republican, hasn't he cleansed himself of any libertarian divergence? Does he draw the same libertarian lite types his dad did? If they have been paying attention at all I would think they have moved on by now.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Axetrain posted:

His dad may have been a "different kind" but Rand is pretty much your standard boilerplate Republican, hasn't he cleansed himself of any libertarian divergence? Does he draw the same libertarian lite types his dad did? If they have been paying attention at all I would think they have moved on by now.

No, he still pushes a lot of the Libertarian stuff still, but he's started to court mainstream Republican values more vocally.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Joementum posted:

Does Rand have a severe case of sunglasses tan in that video or is it just a lighting thing?

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Joementum posted:

If I could do Photoshop, I would add a third line to that graphic reading "and accomplished nothing".

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Conservatism isn't incorrect from an ideological basis,

Actually, it is.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Joementum posted:

Jeb's trailer was better. Rand's speechifying is just so bland.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
This was the best interview and discussion of Snowden I've ever seen, thank you John Oliver. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEVlyP4_11M

Everyone should watch this.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Relentlessboredomm posted:

This was the best interview and discussion of Snowden I've ever seen, thank you John Oliver. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEVlyP4_11M

I just noticed that Last Week Tonight does not put dates on the clips they use and now it bothers me.

drat, good interview.

e: Scratch that. Put that interview in the Smithsonian.

Fix fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Apr 6, 2015

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

This is seriously a pro-click.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Wow I also really like how Oliver actually asks some tough questions and doesn't slobber all over Snowden's dick. And I approve of what Snowden has done.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The part that got me was Oliver heading off the criticism that regardless of what you thought of Snowden and what he did, we know what we know now, might as well do something with it.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Haha, I completely fell for the set-up. The laptop came out and I was like, "Ugh, is he... is he really rubbing it in?" Then the shift to, "Dick-Pic Program," hit and it was clear what he was doing, and it was beautiful.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

site posted:

What I was trying to get at in regards to time value and poor people is that you're implying that the immediacy of things such as bills, insurance, room and board are things that can be tolerably delayed in lieu of doing things like investing and/or saving when that is incredibly not true in most cases. Time preference will always have to be money right now under these circumstances, right?

Time value of money refers to the fact that it is almost always preferable to have money now rather than later. The poor should (and do) rationally apply an even greater discount rate than the affluent because as you note, penalties and late fees on bills are going to exceed any potential gains from investing that money.

So it's not "you should always lock up your money in investments, poors", it's actually the opposite. It's "only lock your money away if the returns you get exceed the benefits of having use of your money right now". For affluent people that's true, and they can benefit from investment. For the poor, they can't do this because the money is critical right now. One of the many traps of our system that keep the poor impoverished.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Apr 6, 2015

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

In a move that should surprise no one, a North Carolina anti-gay state senate candidate was outed as a female impersonator.

http://www.journalnow.com/news/local/gop-candidate-was-once-a-female-impersonator/

quote:

Steve Wiles, a Republican state Senate candidate who supports North Carolina’s constitutional amendment against same-sex marriage, once worked as a female impersonator at a gay nightclub in Winston-Salem and was gay at the time, according to a co-owner of the nightclub and a former employee.

Wiles’ responses over the past three weeks have ranged from categorical denial to tacit admission.

“I have already apologized to the people who matter most to me for the things I did when I was young,” Wiles said this week, declining to clarify for what he has apologized. The comment was made in the last of three separate interviews. At first, Wiles denied the claim.
“That’s not me,” Wiles said three weeks ago, referring to Mona Sinclair. Wiles responded “no” when asked whether he was gay. This week, Wiles’ campaign website, Facebook page and Twitter handle were taken down.

For about 14 years until 2010, Club Odyssey on Country Club Road was a nightclub where gay, lesbian and straight clientele could spend some money on drinks, relax with friends and, weekly, watch a show with talented female impersonators.

Wiles was a frequent patron in the late 1990s, Duggins said. Around 2001 and 2002, Wiles worked for Duggins as the show director, booking performers and running the show as Mona Sinclair, the emcee. At the time, Tomlinson also knew Wiles.

“That’s him,” Tomlinson said, referring to current photos on Wiles.

Duggins said he had no doubts.

“I recognized his picture when I was looking in the paper. That’s definitely him. He has aged some, but that’s him,” Duggins said. "I have no ax to grind against him. I just think he's a liar."
All these years later, Wiles is a real-estate agent who lives in Belews Creek. He filed papers to run in the Republican primary May 6 against two other GOP candidates – incumbent Joyce Krawiec and East Bend resident Dempsey Brewer – for the largely conservative Senate District 31, which comprises Yadkin County and rings around most of Forsyth County.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

RevKrule posted:

once worked as a female impersonator at a gay nightclub in Winston-Salem and was gay at the time,

How do you be "gay at the time"? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLo-ylNPXyE

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Do people use female impersonator instead of drag now? Or are they not the same thing?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

When you believe that homosexuality is a choice, presumably.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

No, its perfectly valid, he was gay at the time (and every time since). How much progress in this country is destroyed by self hating gays that wander into the wrong church?

Luigi Thirty posted:

When you believe that homosexuality is a choice, presumably.

Surely you mean when you want other people to believe that? Self deception is a hell of a drug but the boner dont lie, he knows which way that sucker points and there's no choice in it.

Spaceman Future! fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Apr 6, 2015

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Jeb Bush registered as Hispanic in 2009.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/04/06/us-usa-election-bush-idUSKBN0MX0RT20150406?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews&utm_source=twitter

quote:

(Reuters) - Likely Republican presidential contender Jeb Bush, who was popular among Spanish-speaking voters while Florida governor, marked himself as 'Hispanic' on a 2009 voter registration application, The New York Times reported on Monday.

The newspaper posted a fuzzy copy of the form, which it said it obtained from the Miami-Dade County Elections Department. The circle marked "Hispanic" was checked. The next circle said "White, not Hispanic," which was not checked.

Carolina Lopez, a spokeswoman for the county elections department, did not immediately return calls to Reuters.

A Bush representative was not immediately available to comment.

The brother of former President George W. Bush and son of former President George H.W. Bush, Bush is exploring a presidential bid and is considered a frontrunner in the crowded field of possible Republican candidates. He was born in Texas.

Bush, who speaks fluent Spanish and has a Mexican-born wife, had widespread support among Hispanic voters during his two terms as Florida governor.

His stance on immigration has been at odds with the views of many in his party, including when he said last year that illegal immigrants who come to the United States to provide for their families are not committing a felony but an "act of love."

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

this is really good, thanks for sharing

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

is this what the news used to be like??

I don't know... what's this feeling I'm having?

dang this is good.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Do the Germans have a word for when something is really insignificant but at the same time deeply satisfying?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

mdemone posted:

Do the Germans have a word for when something is really insignificant but at the same time deeply satisfying?

The Holocaust

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

ZenVulgarity posted:

The Holocaust

poo poo dude

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Its pretty insane how last week tonight has some of the best journalism on any television program today

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to too.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Its pretty insane how last week tonight has some of the best journalism on any television program today

The bar is incredibly low.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

ZenVulgarity posted:

The Holocaust

shots fired

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Any reason to think that this was anything more than a mischecked box?

That being said, if Hillary had done something similar, oh the fair and balanced reporting that would result.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

ZenVulgarity posted:

The Holocaust

:yikes:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

zoux posted:

Any reason to think that this was anything more than a mischecked box?

That being said, if Hillary had done something similar, oh the fair and balanced reporting that would result.

Hillary or, say, Elizabeth Warren?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

quote:

“I have already apologized to the people who matter most to me for the things I did when I was young,” Wiles said this week, declining to clarify for what he has apologized. The comment was made in the last of three separate interviews. At first, Wiles denied the claim.

I have already apologized to the people who matter most to me. Fanny, Zafira, Wonder Muscles the Mustache, I'm sorry. What we did, our fabulousness, can never be taken from us.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

technically gas was used

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
You can watch Obama visit the storytime stage live here: https://www.whitehouse.gov/eastereggroll

• Locked thread