Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

EX250 Type R posted:

slowly installing new plastics on the yzf, no rush because the snow needs to recede before I can even get it out of the garage.

They need to see the before picture to really understand how glorious this is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

So ugly and terrible!!

One of the most WTF things was after I replaced the swing arm and installed a stock fender to undo the really sloppy delete, I went for a nice ride. The bike was pissing out coolant and I was like what the gently caress?! The fender delete involved sheet metal and self tapping screws. One of those screws was anchored into the coolant reservoir. My fix actually "broke" things but reinstalling the screw fixed the issue while a new coolant tank came in the mail.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Oh that thing was the stretched piece of poo poo? I'm actually impressed.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Pretty sure the only correct solution to fixing a stretched swingarm is to uninstall the lengthened swingarm and then proceed to use it to bludgeon to death the nitwit who installed it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You must have a lot of time on your hands to bother undoing that much dumbfuckery. Looks great now!

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
It's like one of those shows where they find a beaten and abused dog and shave off all the matted fur and the dog gets a new loving family.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Or the opposite of every custom car/bike show.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed, to me:
I lift my lamp beside the golden door.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I FINALLY GOT THE loving SPEEDOMETER WORKING :toot: :toot: :toot:

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Put on new front signals, straightened the forks, a new Tusk bar and a Madstadt windscreen.

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand
Aired up the tires, ran some seafoam through it, cleaned fork seals, straightened forks, wiped it down and sold the hell out of it. :20bux::wave:

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Changed the stuck alu cap I need to remove to do my valves. Dremel + huge flathead screwdriver and rubber hammer.

Before with dremel trace:

New & shiny:

102k km

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Over the weekend:

Replaced spark pugs. The glass body on the rear was cracked and the connection was all tarnished.

Noticed the air filter was gross and oily. Stock PCV system is intact and it is to blame. With the throttle closed and deceling I am pretty sure the PCVs make positive pressure in the airbox, so a lot of oil gets pushed through the air filter from the inside. I bought some hose and a brass T fitting and rerouted the PCVs to a catch can. There's a lot more electronics under the frame of an 08 Uly compared with an 06 so I couldn't route it the way I wanted under the seat, instead routed it down the front past the oil cooler and back along a tubular frame piece.

Also ordered a K&N air filter and a pair of new spark plug wires. Those should be here this week.

Buell comedy: also did a TPS reset.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 6, 2015

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Nice sunny day. Decided to paint the frame and logo electric blue.

Also bolted the panniers on properly with nylocks. Wingnuts were convenient but would shake off on the bypass.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I'd like some nylock wing nuts.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

clutchpuck posted:

I'd like some nylock wing nuts.

Q.F. F'in T.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Shelvocke posted:

electric blue.

Thanks for the unintended 80s ear worm from Icehouse. NOT.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Marv Hushman posted:

Thanks for the unintended 80s ear worm from Icehouse. NOT.

I was wondering why I had David Bowie stuck in my head all day.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I bought it.

2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650. 38K.

Motech crash bars
Garmin GPS
3 piece Givi Monokey Luggage
Front suspension stabilizer
Hole shot pipe
Current service
Bark busters
Upgraded pegs
Olympia jacket and pants
Sidi boots
Some sort of fancy com inter helmet/GPS system
BMW style socket
Heated vest and gloves

Did I do ok? I can listen to the BRAAAAAP of that vtwin all day.

$2100 for everything

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
HNNNNNNGGGG

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Terrible bike but screaming deal.

If the front springs haven't been done, definitely do them.

Also those pegs and oil fill cap :xd:

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

ThirstyBuck posted:

Did I do ok? I can listen to the BRAAAAAP of that vtwin all day.

$2100 for everything

Which one of his hated relatives did you have to "take for a ride" in order to get that price? Did you take his mother in law on a tour of the bottom of a lake?

It blows my mind that you can find a decen bikes for $2000 while I have some assholes showing me busted-as-hell scooters for the same price. Where is this magical place that you live?

Edit: This is what I can get for $2k: http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/mcy/4965609339.html You bastard.

funeral home DJ fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Apr 7, 2015

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
ThirstyTightWithABuck

May the Moto Gods continue to smile upon you.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Ripoff posted:

Which one of his hated relatives did you have to "take for a ride" in order to get that price? Did you take his mother in law on a tour of the bottom of a lake?

It blows my mind that you can find a decen bikes for $2000 while I have some assholes showing me busted-as-hell scooters for the same price. Where is this magical place that you live?

Edit: This is what I can get for $2k: http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/mcy/4965609339.html You bastard.

I got the notification at 700 and emailed the guy. He, surprising, wrote me back at 900 and I got there at 1100 so his ad was up for less than 12 hours. Even more surprising was that he was a pretty cool guy that obviously really liked his bike but said he didn't have time to ride anymore. I kept looking for a ticking bomb strapped to it somewhere. That bike just on its own usually brings about twice that here. I have no idea why it was so cheap but I bought the poo poo out if it and half of his gear. Front fork feels awesome.

Time to kick the ole GS500 to the CL curb.

Marv Hushman posted:

ThirstyTightWithABuck

Ha!! This is a much more accurate username. Mods please make this change.

E: added pic

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 7, 2015

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
drat, that's a pretty clean GS500. I bet you could get close to what you paid for the Vstrom for it. (looks like some damage on the tank, but that'd disappear overnight in the bay area for 1800 bucks or so.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Z3n posted:

drat, that's a pretty clean GS500. I bet you could get close to what you paid for the Vstrom for it. (looks like some damage on the tank, but that'd disappear overnight in the bay area for 1800 bucks or so.

You're not far off; I had it up for $1750 for a while in the fall but I didn't get much action, just a bunch of shoppers and the usually low ballers. Spring seems to have brought the prices up here a smudge and with every sunny day I get more emails. Worst case scenario it will go for $1500, which is over twice what I paid for it. Yep, tank has a bogus respray so no decals. I don't live in the bay area tho.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
I gave my DRZ it's 19kmi service. A new valve shim, cam chain adjustment, the shift lever was adjusted down, a broken coolant overflow that I ziptied back into place, new oil, a stator, and a regulator/rectifier. Now my battery actually charges!

It's probably a really good sign that this bike can take the abuse that it does and not even need the valves messed with. One of my exhaust valves barely moved, so I threw in a shim just so I won't have care about it for another year.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Finally got around to yanking the carbs off the Goldwing.

Now I get to see how long working on four 70's era Keihins takes until I reach the point where I want to stab myself in the face.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

HotCanadianChick posted:

Now I get to see how long working on four 70's era Keihins takes until I reach the point where I want to stab myself in the face.

That's kind of spooky to think about working on those goofy bastards, but I love the cute little airbox on it. 7/10 would dump in an ultrasonic.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

HotCanadianChick posted:

Wasn't it gnarlycharlie that worked on some goldwing carbs for a month before buying a NOS set, working on THOSE for a month, and then just finding out that 25% of all goldwing carbs are shot with no hope of ever repairing them?

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Ripoff posted:

I had a good laugh when I checked that link. You basically get wheels and a frame for the price he gets a tricked up beast.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Got an email from the guy who runs the storage place. Looks like both bikes were damaged from falling scaffolding earlier in the week, one worse than the other. Not a thing you wanna read on first waking up on a Saturday morning. :(

However it's sounds like mine weren't the only ones damaged and he's going to make it right as he fights the landlords' contractors. Eh, we'll see what happens.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Rode the tits off it, first real ride of the season :D So much more stable in corners than the ninja ever was. Also a lot more painful on knees and wrists... now I know what people mean when they bitch about sporty seating positions.

e: also spun the rear a little while firing out of a corner. POWAH

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
I finally got around to install my heated grip elements. I tried to do it last month but I got frustrated when my techniques for removing the grips undamaged didn't work. (Air compressor, heat gun, lots of swearing...)

I ended up using some wire from a close hanger and WD40 to easily remove the grips. I got the idea from this YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf-EKwyER74

The magic tool! Eh, being in focus is overrated.
\

Well that was stupid easy.

Now that the grips are off, time to get organized! (Goon organized that is...)

Finished installation! Not as neat as I wanted but I didn't want the controller anywhere near my kill switch.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

You know grips are p cheap and come off with a razor blade :P

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

EX250 Type R posted:

You know grips are p cheap and come off with a razor blade :P

I've cut off grips before. This was easier. Plus I like the stock grips.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Also it's April.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Well you saved maybe 10 bucks by not having to buy new stock grips but the project took you over a month sooooooo

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I changed the oil and washed down the DRZ yesterday. I also realized I'm a terrible person and only put 1500 miles on it last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

EX250 Type R posted:

Well you saved maybe 10 bucks by not having to buy new stock grips but the project took you over a month sooooooo

It didn't take me a month, I just put the project on hold because I had other stuff to do. It's April in Michigan which still means the mornings are in the 30's. drat, guys, glad to see that CA is still full of love. :hurr: