Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
There must be a better 7th doc story than Battlefield?

"Boooooooooooooom!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Sad King Billy posted:

There must be a better 7th doc story than Battlefield?

"Boooooooooooooom!"

Any other story from seasons 25 and 26 are better than Battlefield.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
But this one has swords and Merlin.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

The_Doctor posted:

Any other story from seasons 25 and 26 are better than Battlefield.

Counterpoint: If you want to hear Sylvester McCoy say "Brrrrrrrrrigadier", you have limited options.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Or ye olde classic "THERE...WILL...BE...NO... BATTLE HEEEEEEEEERE!"

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

After The War posted:

Counterpoint: If you want to hear Sylvester McCoy say "Brrrrrrrrrigadier", you have limited options.

You have Remembrance. :colbert:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Fil5000 posted:

You have Remembrance. :colbert:

Group Captain!

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
Greatest Show In The Galaxy is nice and creepy, also has Sylvester at his most nonchalant!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"Battlefield" is a story that should have been great. Judging from the info text on the DVD release, a lot of scenes that would have clarified the action ended up being cut. I'm also given to understand (though I lack the technical knowledge to credit the claim) that it wasn't very well directed.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

After The War posted:

Group Captain!

HE STILL SAYS IT

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Sad King Billy posted:

Greatest Show In The Galaxy is nice and creepy, also has Sylvester at his most nonchalant!

She refuses to see anything with a clown it. See The Deadly Assassin.

Or puppets. See The Talons of Weng-Chiang.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Greatest Show is my favourite McCoy, even though it's probably not the best. I don't even need to watch it to make me happy, just listening to the soundtrack is good enough. Sod Murray Gold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaYH3nQwGOg

dikkadikkadikkadikkadikka

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

battlefield is good

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Cerv posted:

battlefield is good

agreed cerv

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Finally watching series 8, and boy was "Deep Breath" very bad.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

egon_beeblebrox posted:

The second half is good.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

The second half is good.

I liked Capaldi but nothing else really worked for me.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The episode is just way too overloaded. The T-Rex and the Paternoster stuff didn't work for me, but the moments with the clockwork robots, Clara and the Doctor were good.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bicyclops posted:

The second half is good.

I agree, but boy howdy is the first half pretty awful.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's definitely a weird, meandering mess, overladen with jokes, only half of which land.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
It's not until Capaldi really becomes the Doctor that it clicks. Otherwise it's the "one-note characters who are wearing out their welcome hour" for the first half.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Clara's angry reaction is also a little unwarranted. It feels like they were having her respond to the Twelfth Doctor from the next couple of episodes, but it reads as kind of weird that she is so immediately hostile.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

"Into the Dalek" is okay. Predictable, but fun. Seems like a sequel to "Dalek" from season one.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

egon_beeblebrox posted:

"Into the Dalek" is okay. Predictable, but fun. Seems like a sequel to "Dalek" from season one.

It very definitely has a similar "Dalek" vibe to it, they really push the theme of the Doctor (and others, including Clara) questioning his own sense of morality and whether he's a "good" person or not.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Fil5000 posted:

HE STILL SAYS IT

How about this, then? Sylvester McCoy and Nicholas Courtney have an instant rapport that makes it seem like they've been working together for years.

Also, Pyromaniac Girlfriend.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Seventh/Brig is the best because the Brig knew it was the Doctor right away. I think that's my favorite Seven scene in his entire run.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rhyno posted:

Seventh/Brig is the best because the Brig knew it was the Doctor right away. I think that's my favorite Seven scene in his entire run.

:tipshat:"Brigadier Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart!"
:hist101:"Hello, Doctor."
:tipshat:"So you recognise me then?"
:hist101:"Who else would it be?"

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

:tipshat:"Brigadier Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart!"
:hist101:"Hello, Doctor."
:tipshat:"So you recognise me then?"
:hist101:"Who else would it be?"

Seven meets Rory?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh my god, if Big Finish ever got the rights to The Centurion Rory Chronicles imagine his various adventures with classic doctors over the past thousand years.

EDIT: DAMNIT that wouldn't work, he was only around in the Starless universe. I still want Rory's adventures.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Apr 7, 2015

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

After The War posted:

How about this, then? Sylvester McCoy and Nicholas Courtney have an instant rapport that makes it seem like they've been working together for years.

Also, Pyromaniac Girlfriend.

Yes, this is entirely fair. I find it hard to dislike much from McCoy's run as he was MY Doctor, but even with that in mind I agree that a lot of the grief Battlefield gets is perhaps a bit unfair. You get the Brig, you get Bessie, you get the Brig standing off against a nigh immortal beastie with his revolver (twice) and you get an extra Brigadier played by the female Dave Lister. Also it isn't Silver Nemesis, which surely is worth a lot of points.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Eh, I really thought it picked up at the restaurant. In that scene, Coleman and Capaldi just clicked amazingly in a way Coleman and Smith never did. And the Clockwork Man was kind of a great, sad villain. And, thinking about it, Ten or Eleven would have taken him down quite differently, and wouldn't have openly expressed the deep reservations and melancholy Twelve had about doing it.
but all that dinosaur nonsense, and the Paternoster gang stuff just didn't work.
But Into the Dalek is great, Robot of Sherwood is silly as hell, and Listen is...well, some people hate it, but to me it's self-evidently one of the five or so best episodes of the revival, and actually manages to say something profound.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Oh my god, if Big Finish ever got the rights to The Centurion Rory Chronicles imagine his various adventures with classic doctors over the past thousand years.

EDIT: DAMNIT that wouldn't work, he was only around in the Starless universe. I still want Rory's adventures.

Coming soon, from Big Finish: Starless Universe, starring Arthur Darvill as the Last Centurion...

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

Coming soon, from Big Finish: Starless Universe, starring Arthur Darvill as the Last Centurion...

All episodes written by Joe Lidster, each revealing a horrible way Rory was tortured during his thousands of years of life.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

All episodes written by Joe Lidster, each revealing a horrible way Rory was tortured during his thousands of years of life.

At last, Rory is going to kick the football he's been waiting for 2000 years to kick, until the person holding it dies of cancer and the ball rolls away, to be eaten by the kite eating tree, which also ate Rory's kite.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Fil5000 posted:

Rory finds the lost Doctor Who episodes! On Betamax!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
The Doctor never switched the TARDIS film library to VHS, and he made the right decision. :colbert:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Spatula City posted:

Eh, I really thought it picked up at the restaurant.

To me that's really damning to it, because the Restaurant doesn't happen until an hour into the goddamn episode.

It's such a slog to get to the good parts that it cheapens the impact that they should have.

Why was this episode the super long one again?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

At last, Rory is going to kick the football he's been waiting for 2000 years to kick, until the person holding it dies of cancer and the ball rolls away, to be eaten by the kite eating tree, which also ate Rory's kite.

Also the football was made from Rory's best friend's skin.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
How are the two Unbound audios with David Warner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Burkion posted:

To me that's really damning to it, because the Restaurant doesn't happen until an hour into the goddamn episode.

It's such a slog to get to the good parts that it cheapens the impact that they should have.

Why was this episode the super long one again?

The BBC cut the episode order to 13, I think, to make up for the 50th anniversary special. The extra-long first and last episodes made it basically the same length as a normal season, so I'm guessing Moffat did it either as a gently caress you to the BBC or (more likely) trying to make it up for the viewers.

• Locked thread