Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Boatswain posted:

What about the part where the native americans charge the gang from a hill or from wherever?

Hard to blame them to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Alhazred posted:

Hard to blame them to be honest.

I'm actually with you that the gang is the worst, and that everybody else is as or only slightly less brutal. But it was ten years or so since I read it and I don't want to do it again so my criticism is based on my poor memory.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

mods who have an appreciation for classic chinese literature please rename me Lady Wang

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Ras Het posted:

How many detective story authors from a hundred years ago do we still talk about, and do we do so in terms of literature?

80-90 years gives us Hammett and Ray Chandler, both of whom are fairly canonical in the USA.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Started Gravity's Rainbow yesterday. This morning, I got to the part where Tyrone Slothrop dives into a toilet. I have yet to find a better written appetite suppressant.

That chapter convinced me that Pynchon is the Ur-Goon, the mitochondrial Eve of FYAD/GBS humor.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

AYC posted:

That seems like a fairly accurate assessment to me.

To be clear: other than It and The Stand, I wouldn't consider any of King's works to be great works of literature. For the most part, they're decently written horror and supernatural stories. That doesn't mean they're bad per se, just not as good as some of the truly great works out there. As you said, they're a useful jumping off point into adult fiction, and for that I think they serve their purpose pretty well.

lol

the future will be cool and fun for you because if you think It is a great work of literature you're going to have your mind blown when you read a great work of literature

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

tatankatonk posted:

lol

the future will be cool and fun for you because if you think It is a great work of literature you're going to have your mind blown when you read a great work of literature

There are so many more powerful child orgy scenes he has to experience

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Stephen King is everyone's first serious author.

He exists at the cultural point in most people's development in which they want to explore adult fiction and move on from more traditional children's or young adult novels. His style is genuinely better than most people in his genre, and he had a legitimately diverse creative output. He is a pretty good way to bridge people into complicated reading and if he is the first author you ever set out to read without a teachers prompting he is a unique and eye opening experience. I cannot blame people for being nostalgic and defensive of him because of this. But seriously, one you cross that bridge you are going to find fiction so good it will haunt and redefine you and leave King in the dust.

Mine was Nabokov and it set a pretty high bar

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
Do y'all legit think people won't still be reading King in, like, 100 years? Everything he's ever written (It and The Stand included, sorry man) is absolute pulpy trash at best, but you'd be hard-pressed to argue that it's worse than Lovecraft's godawful prose, and he's available in Library of America, Penguin Classics, and loving Norton Annotated editions. King's not Poe and he's sure as poo poo not Faulkner but i really wouldn't bet against him being a staple of horror fic for the next century or so

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 7, 2015

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Its not really about whether or not he will be remembered. It's about how barely literature genre fiction nerds always hold him up as this icon of literature and make specious comparisons to historical writers because they desperately want their own juvenile tastes to be justified as real art rather than invest the most minimal curiosity in reading something that doesn't involve ghosts or aliens. People pull this tired "he will be remembered" thing not because they care about the intricacies of fiction as a cultural relic but because they imagine it makes them artistically relevant.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Its not really about whether or not he will be remembered. It's about how barely literature genre fiction nerds always hold him up as this icon of literature and make specious comparisons to historical writers because they desperately want their own juvenile tastes to be justified as real art rather than invest the most minimal curiosity in reading something that doesn't involve ghosts or aliens. People pull this tired "he will be remembered" thing not because they care about the intricacies of fiction as a cultural relic but because they imagine it makes them artistically relevant.

I like danse macabre and on writing

not his one about the red sox though that one sucks

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Apr 7, 2015

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

End Of Worlds posted:

Do y'all legit think people won't still be reading King in, like, 100 years? Everything he's ever written (It and The Stand included, sorry man) is absolute pulpy trash at best, but you'd be hard-pressed to argue that it's worse than Lovecraft's godawful prose, and he's available in Library of America, Penguin Classics, and loving Norton Annotated editions. King's not Poe and he's sure as poo poo not Faulkner but i really wouldn't bet against him being a staple of horror fic for the next century or so

Nobody will be read in 100 years due to the elimination of all prerevolutionary literature as products of a false class consciousness created in times of division.

But yes I think King will be read in similar ways that A.C. Doyle and H.G. Wells and H.P. Lovecraft and G.K. Chesterton and E.W. Hornung and other Victorian/early 20th century genre writers are read.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Smoking Crow posted:

I'm sorry the GuP movie was delayed until the fall.

Yes, On Writing is pedagogically useful which I think is one of the best things you can say about books in that niche.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Oh alright yeah I feel this. You're doing the Lord's work then. Carry on.

e:You see this same kind of poo poo w/r/t Lovecraft and, in a different vein, Tolkein (I am not comparing King to Tolkein)

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Tree Goat posted:

I'm sorry the GuP movie was delayed until the fall.

I'm beginning to accept it after a long period of bargaining

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

Honestly he comes off as a smart and clever guy who has a great sense of humor about himself and his career. His criticism is pretty sharp at times as well. I just wish his fans would just be willing to say "he is a really talented and prolific writer who has revolutionized the genre and industry he worked in" instead of trying to hold him up as the single greatest literary mind of American letters.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Honestly he comes off as a smart and clever guy who has a great sense of humor about himself and his career. His criticism is pretty sharp at times as well. I just wish his fans would just be willing to say "he is a really talented and prolific writer who has revolutionized the genre and industry he worked in" instead of trying to hold him up as the single greatest literary mind of American letters.

Well, he's the second-greatest literary mind of American letters, because A m e r i c a n l i t e r a t u r e s u ck s.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Effectronica posted:

Well, he's the second-greatest literary mind of American letters, because A m e r i c a n l i t e r a t u r e s u ck s.

I will loving fight you

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I will loving fight you

:troll:

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

What's a good old book to read once I'm done with my research paper

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Smoking Crow posted:

read faulkner's mosquitoes or knight's gambit if you feel like relaxing

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
the tain

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

My research project is about early medieval ireland haha

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

Smoking Crow posted:

Religio Medici

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Comic books

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

The Legend of the 10 Elemental Masters by Nick Smith.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Smoking Crow posted:

The Koran.

Edit: Das Kapital

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Apr 7, 2015

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Smoking Crow posted:

atlas shrugged

or Grettir's Saga

e: but yeah atlas shrugged

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Apr 7, 2015

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

A long and/or comically dense and unpleasant book

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

A long and/or comically dense and unpleasant book

so russian

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Effectronica posted:

Your views on literature are almost as bad as your views on politics

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

End Of Worlds posted:

uhh steven king invented the haunted mansion, which was the greatest leap forward in fiction horror since h.p. lovecraft invented the thing so scary he wont describe it.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Normal Adult Human posted:

invented the thing so scary he wont describe it.

civil rights?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

uhh steven king invented the haunted mansion, which was the greatest leap forward in fiction horror since h.p. lovecraft invented the thing so scary he wont describe it.

Also the scary clown

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

The haunted mansion was invented by ghosts.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Pliny the Younger had a sweet haunted villa until some philosopher showed up for the cheap rent and dug up the ghost's skeleton.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Also the scary clown

two distinct variants of killer cars

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Stephen King invented the Stephen King miniseries

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

Stephen King invented the Stephen King miniseries

Anyone remember when Stephen King took credit for Lars Von Trier's show and changed it by making it in Maine and adding a serial killer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Anyone remember when Stephen King took credit for Lars Von Trier's show and changed it by making it in Maine and adding a serial killer

I was pretty amazed to learn that Garth Marenghi's Darkplace came before he did that.