Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Sooooooooooo pitbike supermoto is a thing and now I kind of want to do it

http://youtu.be/0cid_KCsJSg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Pit bikes would be fun, xr100s are even funnerer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9XwfiNicF0

Once I finish sorting out my carb issues, I'll be taking my sumo'd xr100 here for some fun.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Marxalot posted:

I'm about 90% sure either the stator or the R/R went out on my DRZ. It has about 19kmi on it, and the relatively new battery went flat on me while riding. I'm pretty sure it's not getting a charge, but I kind of need to wait for the battery to charge enough to start the bike before poking at it with a multimeter :v:

Does this seem legit? If so, I'll order it tomorrow after checking the bike.

fakeedit: The R/R is only an extra $40, so I might just replace that too while I'm at it. Maybe.

I would have a look at this first http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/541623-charging-system-diagnoses-plus-the-free-power-mod/

I haven't read it thoroughly myself, tho. It might be in the same field as MCCTs and nearly welding on your countershaft sprocket for TT paranoia.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

kuffs posted:

I would have a look at this first http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/541623-charging-system-diagnoses-plus-the-free-power-mod/

I haven't read it thoroughly myself, tho. It might be in the same field as MCCTs and nearly welding on your countershaft sprocket for TT paranoia.

I'll look through it tomorrow and make sure all of my connections are fine/it's not the rectifier/etc when I have some more time. I spent all morning fooling with the other bike, but I did have enough time to confirm that something in the DRZ's charging system is hosed.

e: I just realized that "mod" wants me to rewire the bike. I don't know if it's effective, but screw that :v:

I'm pretty sure the stator is fried anyways. Afaik they tend to die when they're 10yrs old and have 18kmi on them.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 31, 2015

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Good grief. Okay those dudes are just wholesale insane, then.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

kuffs posted:

Good grief. Okay those dudes are just wholesale insane, then.

They mostly know what theyre talking about though.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

JB50 posted:

They mostly know what theyre talking about though.

Mostly, but that is the same forum that has wonderful posts such as "The DRZ is really hard on oil so I change it every 500mi with $15/qt unicorn blood" and "Lots of torque and a lock washer isn't nearly enough to secure the front sprocket. What you need is a generous amount of high-strength threadlocker just to be sure."

Also, looks like the stator is pushing out a massive 1.6v, so I'm ordering one now. Grabbing a rectifier too since it's not terribly expensive.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Marxalot posted:

Mostly, but that is the same forum that has wonderful posts such as "The DRZ is really hard on oil so I change it every 500mi with $15/qt unicorn blood"

Sounds like good advice to me. Or you could do what I do and change it every 300 miles or so when something breaks.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Ugh. The only R/Rs I've found that aren't loving huge and go past the frame are also missing one of the loving plugs you need to install it. Is there any easy way around this, or a way to reuse the OEM plug?

vs

e: I'm going to have to either get used to a giant rear end R/R or do some ghetto splice job, aren't I?

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Apr 2, 2015

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
It will only be as ghetto as you allow it to be (its just two wires bro you can do it)

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
When I replaced my taillight with the DRC edge I just spliced the old connectors. Its not hard to do a good job. Just make sure to use good heat shrink tubes to cover the solder/exposed wire

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Drz law: change your oil when the shifting gets notchy, don't worry about mileage, the bike will let you know.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Drz law: change your oil when the shifting gets notchy, don't worry about mileage, the bike will let you know.

I think I know what you mean. But define "notchy".

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

epalm posted:

I think I know what you mean. But define "notchy".

It gets clunky when shifting, not the usual smooth shifts. Feels like it doesn't want to shift.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Happens right around 1000 miles. I usually notice that first to second starts to feel kinda clunky.

PenguinScotty
Nov 13, 2012

Hotpants Icecream
Went to the first round of the AMA SuperMoto championship in Riverside this Saturday. First time going to a US SuperMoto event, so experiencing all the differences compared to a EU event was fun.

Entry was 15 bucks for one day (on motorcycle). All the people were really nice and you could tell the guys racing were there because they loved it. Definitely recommend it if they stop by near you.

Took a few pics, but i suck, so whatev.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
EDIT - Wrong thread.

Akion fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 6, 2015

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I rode a 690 tonight and it wasn't anything at all like I expected. I've been on the FZ1 too long. drat nice for a sumo though.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Baller Witness Bro posted:

I rode a 690 tonight and it wasn't anything at all like I expected. I've been on the FZ1 too long. drat nice for a sumo though.

What were you expecting, and what was it like?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I expected a much bigger hit. The powerband was very linear, which is probably great if you ride it day to day. It's been awhile since I've been on a sumo but I guess it felt pretty tame. Didn't seem more exciting than my DRZ's to be honest in a straight line, just faster. No idea what gearing the guy is running but I know it's got a full exhaust and normal mods / tune.

I need to build a 450 MX tard I think to satisfy my bloodlust.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
The full pipe and tune will have robbed the low/mid range unless he also did work on the intake but pretty much any sumo is going to feel a bit anaemic after a litre i4. My SMC feels like a mountain bike after a 990 or my R1.

The point of the 690 is really not apparent until you really push it in my opinion. Anything less and you really wont feel the improvements (brakes, suspension, slipper clutch) in handling over the DRZ. The bike is happiest when you're caning it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Baller Witness Bro posted:

I expected a much bigger hit. The powerband was very linear, which is probably great if you ride it day to day. It's been awhile since I've been on a sumo but I guess it felt pretty tame. Didn't seem more exciting than my DRZ's to be honest in a straight line, just faster. No idea what gearing the guy is running but I know it's got a full exhaust and normal mods / tune.

I need to build a 450 MX tard I think to satisfy my bloodlust.

Just go full retard and get a SXV550. All sumos feel "slow" coming off a literbike, cause the difference between 30% of the power of your bike and 45% of the power of your bike isn't really noticeable.

And yeah, every 690 that I've seen with a sweet pipe and poo poo loses all of the bottom end and makes marginal gains on the top end. Pretty much ruins the engine.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I went from a 690 SM (not the SMC) to a 400 drz and I ain't even mad. Do miss the 6th gear though and keep going for it.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 7, 2015

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Z3n posted:

Just go full retard and get a SXV550. All sumos feel "slow" coming off a literbike, cause the difference between 30% of the power of your bike and 45% of the power of your bike isn't really noticeable.

What about the old hypermotards, the 1100s?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

captainOrbital posted:

What about the old hypermotards, the 1100s?

Those aren't really supermotos, just well marketed standards. Won't jump over poo poo, less suspension travel, gonna bottom out over poo poo, etc.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
But the SXV is a proper sumo? I thought it was another one of those Italian things (Rivale, etc) that look like sumos.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not even sure what counts as a sumo these days. It seems like a pretty broad range now

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

captainOrbital posted:

But the SXV is a proper sumo? I thought it was another one of those Italian things (Rivale, etc) that look like sumos.

I would say the basic bounds for a supermoto are less than 350 pounds, more than 7.5 inches of suspension travel, generous ground clearance to handle jumps, ruts, and other dirtbike style terrain, plus 17s and brakes that wouldn't be out of place on a supersport. The SXV550 makes 70hp, weighs 260 pounds, and has ~10 inches of suspension travel, and has (in 450 form) won a pile of supermoto championships.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I'm not even sure what counts as a sumo these days. It seems like a pretty broad range now

Supermoto doesn't seem to be a "type" of bike (cruiser, standard, sport) so much as it is a politically correct term for "dedicated hooligan vehicle". Like calling midgets 'little people'.

If you're planning on taking your Harley through your neighbor's lawn and then onto a pedestrian footbridge, well doggonnit, that's a supermoto.

Z3n posted:

I would say the basic bounds for a supermoto are less than 350 pounds, more than 7.5 inches of suspension travel, generous ground clearance to handle jumps, ruts, and other dirtbike style terrain, plus 17s and brakes that wouldn't be out of place on a supersport. The SXV550 makes 70hp, weighs 260 pounds, and has ~10 inches of suspension travel, and has (in 450 form) won a pile of supermoto championships.

I would just say that the bikes that didn't do a good job surviving their hooning were lovely supermotos.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Didn't think about it that way.

I quite like the nimbleness of my DRZ. It can be a bit gutless at times but perfect for tearing rear end around the city and not as bad as I thought it'd be on the freeway

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Didn't think about it that way.

I quite like the nimbleness of my DRZ. It can be a bit gutless at times but perfect for tearing rear end around the city and not as bad as I thought it'd be on the freeway

I put an FX39 FCR39MX, pipe and 3x3 on mine and it felt like a new bike. I thought I wanted a 434 kit but really at this point I am pretty happy with the way it rides.

Akion fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 7, 2015

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I enjoyed the nimbleness of my DRZ a little too much. Last season I turned into a bit of a hooligan, frequently pushed it too hard, wound up in maybe half a dozen near-misses.

So I bought a Boulevard M50 to ride daily, and I'll be riding the DRZ exclusively at the track :v:

That decision may have doubled my lifespan! Guess we'll never find out though :iiam:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Akion posted:

I put an FX39, pipe and 3x3 on mine and it felt like a new bike. I thought I wanted a 434 kit but really at this point I am pretty happy with the way it rides.

Yeah what's up anyways? Recently got a '13. Previous owner said he did 3x3 mod and had it jetted. It's still on stock pipe but he said it was "gutted," whatever that means. What's the best power for my money here? It definitely has kick but I feel like it just needs a lil' extra pep. The bummer here is that I actually like the look of the flat black stock exhaust. And exhaust always seem like $600 investments for 1 hp and sound.

I'd like to try a 690 SMC. My 2007 SM was more a "cruiser" geared super moto. Nowhere near the SMC. SMC seems borderline too big, though. Great all around bike I'm sure. But I feel like there are no limits on a DRZ

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 7, 2015

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Yeah what's up anyways? Recently got a '13. Previous owner said he did 3x3 mod and had it jetted. It's still on stock pipe but he said it was "gutted," whatever that means. What's the best power for my money here? It definitely has kick but I feel like it just needs a lil' extra pep. The bummer here is that I actually like the look of the flat black stock exhaust. And exhaust always seem like $600 investments for 1 hp and sound.

I'd like to try a 690 SMC. My 2007 SM was more a "cruiser" geared super moto. Nowhere near the SMC. SMC seems borderline too big, though. Great all around bike I'm sure. But I feel like there are no limits on a DRZ

FCR39MX is generally regarded as the best $/hp ratio (other than the 3x3, which is free) I believe.

I'd say do a full pipe (I have a Yosh and I like it. The MSR SSW will give you a little more power but it's a lot louder), verify 3x3 was done and the bike is jetted right and then ride it a bit. If you still need more oomph, get an FCR.

Pipes aren't always about raw HP gains. They can also change where power is delivered.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I'm new to carbd. FCR is a new carb right? or something? How much am I looking at her $ wise? Full yosh looks like about $600 or so. Yikes. Trying to find one new. Am willing to spend for quality though.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Z3n posted:

And yeah, every 690 that I've seen with a sweet pipe and poo poo loses all of the bottom end and makes marginal gains on the top end. Pretty much ruins the engine.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts. I'd love to try out an SXV someday. Honestly I just miss riding dirt. I think a converted MX sumo would be the tits but it'll be a few years before I can feel comfortable dropping the coin on one without being afraid of it exploding every weekend.

Liter bikes truly spoil you though, that's for sure.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

The top tier sumos look like great fun but who the gently caress wants to change oil every 3 hours? Christ.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

If it's a track bike? Who cares. Oil changes take all of 5 minutes. I would love it if oil changes would be even approaching one of my top 10 concerns on a bike like that.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

The top tier sumos look like great fun but who the gently caress wants to change oil every 3 hours? Christ.

Or adjust valves/replace misc poo poo every month.

Like the coolant overflow tank I cracked today. Or the starter cover screws (loving phillips screws? Really Suzuki?) that I mangled while replacing my stator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I'm new to carbd. FCR is a new carb right? or something? How much am I looking at her $ wise? Full yosh looks like about $600 or so. Yikes. Trying to find one new. Am willing to spend for quality though.

Yep. FCR39MX is a 39mm Carb.

Yeah, full pipes can get pricey. Where are you located?

• Locked thread