Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Rodyle posted:

The fight in BotG DID suck though. It's just it's such a small part of the movie that it doesn't matter much.

I used to hate the fight in BoG but after watching it a few times it was actually decent. The animation really could have used less 3D stuff it looked super out-of-place, but otherwise it was good. It wasn't until I saw the dubbed version that I had this feeling, though, so maybe I just hate Japanese Goku a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Rodyle posted:

The fight in BotG DID suck though. It's just it's such a small part of the movie that it doesn't matter much.

Obviously the spoilers are leaving out the part where Frieza goes undercover to Bulma's birthday, hoping to crush everyone's hopes by slaughtering the guests but instead getting swept up into everyone's misadventures before he gets the chance.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The Bee posted:

Obviously the spoilers are leaving out the part where Frieza goes undercover to Bulma's birthday, hoping to crush everyone's hopes by slaughtering the guests but instead getting swept up into everyone's misadventures before he gets the chance.

Oh no, Freeza's going to pop Pan's balloons!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
"The cake was delicious."

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Rodyle posted:

Oh no, Freeza's going to pop Pan's balloons!

I am now imaging that scene on Namek, with a balloon in Krillin's place, causing Pan to go Super Saiyan.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

e X posted:

I am now imaging that scene on Namek, with a balloon in Krillin's place, causing Pan to go Super Saiyan.

That actually presents a good question, if we eventually get Pan going SSJ, should it be trivial like Goten and Trunks, or should it be played for drama like pretty much everyone else?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

That actually presents a good question, if we eventually get Pan going SSJ, should it be trivial like Goten and Trunks, or should it be played for drama like pretty much everyone else?

First lady SSJ seems like it should be a big deal. But then, maybe that's why it shouldn't be played like one.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Spiritus Nox posted:

First lady SSJ seems like it should be a big deal. But then, maybe that's why it shouldn't be played like one.

Heroes already beat it,

Also have some adult gotenks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMjb7BuX_Fo

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I don't see much at all wrong with how the fight is described, unless, of course, the minions are actually described in-movie to be weaker than Freza saga era Freeza, in which case, that makes little sense.

Otherwise, it seems like everyone is acting EXACTLY like they did in Yo! Goku and his Friends Return, where they see Freeza - level threats as a fun chance to stretch their muscles a little bit. And, unlike in Yo! Goku, when the villain goes too far, they don't stop it because they aren't taking things seriously enough.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The special going on in DBM is Really Good.

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?

facebook jihad posted:

The special going on in DBM is Really Good.

Watching the Supreme Kai get knocked down today was pretty good.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Onmi posted:

Heroes already beat it,

Also have some adult gotenks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMjb7BuX_Fo

Online technically did it first. :ssh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pWsYjbQKeI

Am still kinda disappointed that Xenoverse's character hairstyles only change color for Super. Oh well, something for the sequel.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

As far as today's DBM goes, I wonder what Goku's going to try and do from inside Buu. His dialogue makes me think of a suicide run, but that doesn't seem like his style, especially since he knows Vegeta already showed that won't work.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Its weird, the fighting in this filler is good but i really want to know what happened to cause zen buu over it! :magical:

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Thyrork posted:

Its weird, the fighting in this filler is good but i really want to know what happened to cause zen buu over it! :magical:

The Buu from the series is the product of him absorbing any and every thing he thinks would be advantageous for him. I doubt Zen Buu will show up directly from this special.

Unless you're being sarcastic or something.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I thought thats what the "universe were buu ate everyone."'s name was?

dogs named Charlie
Apr 5, 2009

by exmarx
He didn't eat everyone IIRC, just the great warriors, artists, and geniuses. And now he rules the rest as a god.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

StrifeHira posted:

Am still kinda disappointed that Xenoverse's character hairstyles only change color for Super. Oh well, something for the sequel.

How did I now know that DBO answered the question of "what if a bald Saiyan goes super"? the answer has been in front of us the whole time

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Hey does anyone have that link to that blog where the blogger makes fun of bad subtitles? I've been scouring the thread for it but I can't find it.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
http://onoretvn.tumblr.com/ This?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Beef Waifu posted:

"The cake was delicious."

that monster

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Ressurection of F question: Why does Frieza blow up a city if the whole movie is supposed to be about him being a joke? Same for blowing up the earth? Why is Frieza brought back to life just to point out how far behind he is on the power curve considering we've already seen this three or four times? Why does Frieza's voice actor blatantly lie about the ending? Is there any actual progression from beyond BoG besides the fact Goku and Vegeta are training with Whis? Why is any of this actually a thing?

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

StrifeHira posted:

a) I really like the mohawk Super Saiyan.
b) All I'm doing while watching this is going "Xenoverse!" :argh:

Stairmaster posted:

Why is any of this actually a thing?

:10bux:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Stairmaster posted:

Ressurection of F question: Why does Frieza blow up a city if the whole movie is supposed to be about him being a joke? Same for blowing up the earth? Why is Frieza brought back to life just to point out how far behind he is on the power curve considering we've already seen this three or four times? Why does Frieza's voice actor blatantly lie about the ending? Is there any actual progression from beyond BoG besides the fact Goku and Vegeta are training with Whis? Why is any of this actually a thing?

Frieza only reappears after his death in filler and GT stuff doesnt he? That poo poo doesn't count

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Stairmaster posted:

The movie is an extended training exercise for Goku and Vegeta, with the fight being an extension of their growth in general, and them basically finally being complete equals. The prequel manga kind of gets into that.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Is Freeza actually that popular in Japan? My personal favorite is Buu, which I know is quite uncommon, and at least in the English speaking world, Cell often seems to dominate everything.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

e X posted:

Is Freeza actually that popular in Japan? My personal favorite is Buu, which I know is quite uncommon, and at least in the English speaking world, Cell often seems to dominate everything.

Speaking of Cell and the earlier Super Hell Fighter 17 debate, that brings me to my favorite part of the whole thing.

So evil doctor from the first GT arc is wandering around Hell and runs into Dr. Gero, and they start talking and go "Hey, you know Android 17? Well yeah, he's incomplete! Let's build another 17, and when they merge he'll be complete and he'll be like 50x stronger than Perfect Cell!'

It's just so delightfully LAZY.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Cornwind Evil posted:

Speaking of Cell and the earlier Super Hell Fighter 17 debate, that brings me to my favorite part of the whole thing.

So evil doctor from the first GT arc is wandering around Hell and runs into Dr. Gero, and they start talking and go "Hey, you know Android 17? Well yeah, he's incomplete! Let's build another 17, and when they merge he'll be complete and he'll be like 50x stronger than Perfect Cell!'

I was thinking the other day about how everyone hates how Android 18 got benched after the Cell Saga and I thought what if when they decided to do Hell 17, they did one for her as well. She would had gone back to her old ways at first until Krillin tries facing 17 like normal and getting killed, which would snap her back to normal. At this point 18 now Super 18 and very capable of handling those dragons that showed up the next arc.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The problem is that DBZ just kept escalating power and not much else. Frieza was just absurdly strong, and no clever tactics could beat him. Cell raised the stakes by being even stronger and also he could regenerate (but otherwise didn't really do anything interesting). Majin Buu did the same thing but he was even better at regenerating than Cell, oh no!

Characters never really had to out-think these guys. You never had an opportunity for Krillin to go "my Destructo Disc can cut people in half, let's cut up Majin Buu into four smaller Buus and keep them separated so he's weaker" or anything like that. There could have been interesting fights based around needing to out-think tactics or gimmicks new enemies had but DBZ never dug into that territory. The closest thing was 19 and 20 absorbing energy beams, but the solution there was to rip off their arms and stomp on their face. The only thing that matters is A is stronger than B, then B is stronger than A, then C is stronger than A or B, then A is stronger than C, then D is stronger than A, then A is stronger than D, etc, over and over.

But that's just kind of how this anime genre goes.

Sea Lily fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 6, 2015

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I just picked up Jaco the Galactic Patrolman and wondered if I could find Nekomajin and other Toriyama stuff on amazon.

To my surprise, you can actually buy Dragon Ball AF Doujinshi on Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Ball-AF-Volume-1/dp/150582236X/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_y

I'm surprised you can actually get unofficial doujinshi on amazon. I know that flies in Japan, but wouldn't Viz be pissed off due to copyright stuff?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The escalation is also absurd, like in the Frieza Saga all the mooks are supposed to be as strong as Vegeta was at the end of the Saiyan Saga.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Rirse posted:

I was thinking the other day about how everyone hates how Android 18 got benched after the Cell Saga

Those people are dumb because she really doesn't. She's a side character that gets to do a thing during the Buu saga which is more than anyone else did.

Also anyone mad about the spoilers about her from the new movie must have forgot her entire character. What could be more boring than punching around a bunch of low level babies for an afternoon. Leave that to those nerds like Goku.

Rodyle posted:

The escalation is also absurd, like in the Frieza Saga all the mooks are supposed to be as strong as Vegeta was at the end of the Saiyan Saga.

Only like Qui, Dodoria and Zarbon. Everyone else is roughly radtiz tier. It's how Gohan and Krillin pinball those two when they first land on the planet.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Kelp Plankton posted:

The problem is that DBZ just kept escalating power and not much else. Frieza was just absurdly strong, and no clever tactics could beat him. Cell raised the stakes by being even stronger and also he could regenerate (but otherwise didn't really do anything interesting). Majin Buu did the same thing but he was even better at regenerating than Cell, oh no!

Characters never really had to out-think these guys. You never had an opportunity for Krillin to go "my Destructo Disc can cut people in half, let's cut up Majin Buu into four smaller Buus and keep them separated so he's weaker" or anything like that. There could have been interesting fights based around needing to out-think tactics or gimmicks new enemies had but DBZ never dug into that territory. The closest thing was 19 and 20 absorbing energy beams, but the solution there was to rip off their arms and stomp on their face. The only thing that matters is A is stronger than B, then B is stronger than A, then C is stronger than A or B, then A is stronger than C, then D is stronger than A, then A is stronger than D, etc, over and over.

But that's just kind of how this anime genre goes.

You might like Hunter X Hunter then. The power system is based entirely on counters and hidden information. A might be physically stronger than B, but C has an ability which lets them hit them once and nullfies A's power and this doesn't work on B because he's seen the move meaning B beats C if they ever fight.

Very cool system with alot of deep rules and conditions to use their powers and the aim of the game is to give away as little information about your power as possible or they'll be able to think up a counter to it. I don't know know if you've ever seen Yu Yu Hakusho, but it's basically the psychic powers in the Chapter Black arc with alot more depth.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Asuron posted:

Very cool system with alot of deep rules and conditions to use their powers and the aim of the game is to give away as little information about your power as possible or they'll be able to think up a counter to it. I don't know know if you've ever seen Yu Yu Hakusho, but it's basically the psychic powers in the Chapter Black arc with alot more depth.

Or you could just watch Jo Jo and cut out the middle man. I mean I love Yu Yu Hakusho but that was some weird coincidence. Even down to the pretty red head weirdo teammate getting slapped around in videogames by the villain.

That's cool though, Part 4 of Jo Jo came out during the Demon World Tourny and Okayasu is basically just Kuwabara's slightly dumber cousin.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
As a fan of both Hunter x Hunter and JoJo, they are very different things that are both worth watching and/or reading, doubly so if you crave more creativity and cleverness in your shonen punchman shows.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

e X posted:

Is Cell actually popular? I dunno how good of a measurement this is but he seems to appear in a lot less fanwork than other villains.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Or you could just watch Jo Jo and cut out the middle man. I mean I love Yu Yu Hakusho but that was some weird coincidence. Even down to the pretty red head weirdo teammate getting slapped around in videogames by the villain.

That's cool though, Part 4 of Jo Jo came out during the Demon World Tourny and Okayasu is basically just Kuwabara's slightly dumber cousin.

It all sort of comes together: the Cell arc was running around that time, and supposedly Koichi's Stand is a visual homage to Cell.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
reposting this here because it is true and good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=as7rmpQnGFI

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Freeza is the most popular DBZ villain in Japan (not counting the reformed ones like Piccolo and Vegeta), followed by Buu, and with Cell last.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Rodyle posted:

Yeah, as far as we see in the manga Qui, Dodoria, Vegeta and possibly untransformed Zarbon are all about equal. Vegeta may have even had the edge because of poo poo like the Gallik Gun (let alone his Giant Monkey... Form). The only people stronger are most of the Ginyus, monster Zarbon and Freeza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Cornwind Evil posted:

It's even more lazy than that. The "Hell is open, all villains leave" plot was taken straight from Fusion Reborn (much like how Baby's plot is a copy of Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans, and the last Evil Dragon is blatantly Buu).

GT in general really liked recycling old stuff, but did so pretty badly. The Baby arc is probably better than Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans, but that's really faint praise. Super 17 doesn't compare to Fusion Reborn or the Android Saga, both of which were high points for the Dragon Ball Z movies and series, respectively.

Prison Warden posted:

Yeah, as far as we see in the manga Qui, Dodoria, Vegeta and possibly untransformed Zarbon are all about equal. Vegeta may have even had the edge because of poo poo like the Gallik Gun (let alone his Giant Monkey... Form). The only people stronger are most of the Ginyus, monster Zarbon and Freeza.

Cui is equal to Vegeta in the Saiyan Saga, thus weaker than Zarbon and Dodoria. Vegeta at the beginning of the Freeza Saga is stronger than Zarbon and Dodoria (who are almost equal to each other), but weaker than Monster Zarbon, who himself is weaker than everyone in the Ginyu Force but Guldo (who is far weaker than the rest, relying on psychic powers instead), all of which are, of course, weaker than 1st Form Freeza and his 530000 Power.

The Freeza Saga just really likes increasing numbers.

• Locked thread