Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Excels posted:

there are 2 umineko fighting games, if you think the designs are cool but don't care about the crazy complex plot, i highly recommend it

Umineko's plot isn't really complex, it's just bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

TurnipFritter posted:

so i assume you read all 8 novels

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

ImpAtom posted:

I too want Macross 7: SMT Edition.

Lucifer! YHWH! Cycle of death and rebirth! LISTEN TO MY SONG!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

TurnipFritter posted:

I wouldn't call it bad, but the author's insistence in later installments of the novel to create lots of scenes that only seem to exist to call out the reader for being a loving idiot are kind of hosed.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

scenes like that are why umineko owns

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nGWEb5QxGA

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Umineko is good when it's posing it's questions, despite Ryukishi's tendency to really drive in his themes (I'm looking at you, Jessica and George romance subplot and Maria and Rosa) but kinda fumbles a bit when it actually has to answer those questions.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
17 hours into P3P and finally did something in a dungeon that isn't kill more guys (the hotel mirror thing). Do more interesting dungeon puzzle-y things start happening now or is that an anomaly?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Beef Waifu posted:

I excited for SMtxFE because I've been waiting for an idol game where you use your musical prowess to fight demons from hell.

Ever heard of Devil Survivor?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

TurnipFritter posted:

Prepare to die, bitch.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Unmature posted:

17 hours into P3P and finally did something in a dungeon that isn't kill more guys (the hotel mirror thing). Do more interesting dungeon puzzle-y things start happening now or is that an anomaly?

Most of the full moon shadows don't really have a dungeon worth speaking of. 95% of the dungeon-crawling you do is gonna be in Tartarus, and that's mostly going to be more of what you've seen already but with stronger enemies. I don't think anyone is going to defend dungeon design as P3P's strong point.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Unmature posted:

I hope you savored that

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
Umineko is great minus episode 8 and the fighting games are dumb but okay mechanically. Great music though.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

laplace posted:

Umineko is great minus episode 8 and the fighting games are dumb but okay mechanically. Great music though.

:agreed:

this si the most accurate way to summarize Seacats

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Unmature posted:

If you want good dungeons play Nocturne or Strange Journey, you're not getting them in 3 or 4.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Persona 4 tries gimmicky puzzle stuff but they are real bad and will make you wish for normal dungeons.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

"Real bad" is a bit strong, they're not involved at all. They're dirt simple and the game barely does it. I'm honestly shocked to hear anyone finds them even annoying.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

The only dungeon gimmicks in 4 that I didn't like were the ones in (funnily enough) Void Quest. Teleporter mazes are never fun and the one where the camera spins around was really dumb.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Yeah they are only like a floor each, but the camera spinning one gives me mad headaches every time.

I'm pretty glad there aren't many in Persona though. I suck super hard at puzzles and I'm still stuck in that goddamn fire dungeon in PQ.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Chexoid posted:

Yeah they are only like a floor each, but the camera spinning one gives me mad headaches every time.

I'm pretty glad there aren't many in Persona though. I suck super hard at puzzles and I'm still stuck in that goddamn fire dungeon in PQ.

The fire went out....:(

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Volt Catfish posted:

The fire went out....:(

When Kanji says it he sounds immensely bored. Much like I was going through that segment of the game.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Color Printer posted:

The only dungeon gimmicks in 4 that I didn't like were the ones in (funnily enough) Void Quest. Teleporter mazes are never fun and the one where the camera spins around was really dumb.

I'll still take that over all the pit traps in P1 and P2.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Chexoid posted:

Persona 4 tries gimmicky puzzle stuff

Were these added for Golden? Because the vanilla dungeons are just blatant reskins of each other's generic Tartarus continuation in randomised blandness.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Dragonatrix posted:

Were these added for Golden? Because the vanilla dungeons are just blatant reskins of each other's generic Tartarus continuation in randomised blandness.

I think he's referring to Void Quest's "puzzles". And maybe the Lab.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Yes the great Persona 4 dungeon puzzles of backtracking a couple of floors to open a previously locked door, fighting a boss, and getting an item that opened a locked door on the current floor. I like Persona 4 but the dungeons were not one of the reasons why.

The music was a big reason why I like Persona 4

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

RPG dungeons are all bad there I said it.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Radish posted:

:agreed:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Radish posted:

etrian odyssey

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm playing Brandish at the moment and I like its dungeons.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Dungeons are cool.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Dungeons are cool.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Endorph posted:

etrian odyssey

Also :agreed: if only because drawing your own map is so much fun.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
For sorta rhyming with "fun", dungeons sure usually aren't.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

How dare you impugn P3's dungeon design which has such memorable features as The Stairs and The Circular Hallway. It's rude is what it is.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Now I'm remembering Camp Ichigaya from SMT IV and its love of one-way doors, which is probably right up there with teleport mazes as The Worst Dungeon Gimmicks.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Tartarus was cool when a floor started with the stairs like, right there in front of you. That was nice.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

One way doors, teleporter mazes and random conveyor belts all suck and are terrible facets of dungeon design and I hate them all and Strange Journey is no fun to play because of these. Also those dark zones in Strange Journey are terrible too.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

One way doors, teleporter mazes and random conveyor belts all suck and are terrible facets of dungeon design and I hate them all and Strange Journey is no fun to play because of these. Also those dark zones in Strange Journey are terrible too.

Strange Journey dungeons aren't that good.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Actually they're good unless you're too much of a stubborn baby to spend 5 whole minutes writing down what goes where

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I like Tartarus because I never feel the urge to read a walkthrough to know where I'm going. Being able to save anywhere in SMT4 also works.