Subject: [Noisebridge-discuss] need expert witness to testify about IP addresses
Date: 2015-04-02 13:25
From: Jake <jake@spaz.org>
To: "noisebridge-discuss@lists.noisebridge.net" <noisebridge-discuss@lists.noisebridge.net>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Kate Raven <raven.kate at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 4:38 PM
Subject: Re: looking for someone to testify about IP addresses
To: null null null <null at revolution.cheap>

Null,

Thanks for your help. Basically, I need someone who code testify as an "expert" in a probation violation hearing next tuesday. It should be an interesting experience for whoever does it and I should be able to pay a couple hundred bucks. Basically, the "expert" just needs to have some credentials in computer stuff above that of a lay person (I need them to be able to explain to the court what an IP address is, what an IP login is, and some stuff around this.) If anyone is interested, I can explain more but it is a really worthwhile case.

Kate

On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 2:48 PM, null null null <null at revolution.cheap>
wrote:

> Hey Kate! I won't have time to help, but if you write up a description of
> what you're looking for, I could pass it along to the Sudo Room mailing
> list. Note that it's a public list.
>
> In solidarity,
> null
>
> On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 2:24 PM, Ianna Owen <ihowen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> hey null, this is kate's email raven.kate at gmail.com (also CCed here).
>> she's still looking for someone to testify about IP addresses. hope you two
>> can find someone!
>>
>> <3 !!

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

It's almost certainly :pedo: isn't it ?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
there is a disturbing amount of self-awareness in this hackathon ad

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
the founding members of noisebridge turn up and everyone else gives up because they can't outdo that

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

quote:

Subject: [Noisebridge-discuss] Markdown in the wiki
Date: Sat, 04 Apr 2015 14:39:50 -0700
From: Torrie Fischer <tdfischer@hackerbots.net>
To: noisebridge-discuss@lists.noisebridge.net

Hei, Noisebridge

I've had this itch, you see. An itch that needed scratching.

noisebridge.net uses mediawiki. Its huge. Its complicated. The syntax is
bespoke. We use maybe 1% of all of its functionality. My itch is that we (and
other hackerspaces) can do better.

I have scratched it by writing a thing called SpaceWiki:

http://ratchet.noisebridge.systems/wiki/

There are no logins needed, reverting pages is a manual process, the whole
thing is stored in a sqlite database, and it kinda almost has a RESTful API.

Please do try and break it so I can fix things you find. Most of the syntax is
handled here:

https://github.com/tdfischer/spacewiki/blob/master/templates/page.html#L21
https://github.com/tdfischer/spacewiki/blob/master/filters.py

I'm going to hack on a mediawiki importer thing this weekend to see how hard
it'd be to import the entire noisebridge wiki verbatim into this and fix things
up to not be awful.

i'll start the wiki

goatsestretchgoals

There are no logins needed, reverting pages is a manual process, the whole
thing is stored in a sqlite database, and it kinda almost has a RESTful API.

jesus

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

OSI bean dip posted:

i'll start the wiki
i thought the hackathon wasn't until may

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

it's like a wiki but with everything that makes a wiki easy enough to warrant using removed!

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

we use media wiki and only active members have logins because, well, I have better things to do than clean up spam.

which is what that bespoke no-auth wiki is going to turn in to because they made it hard to delete spam

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
my bespoke artisanal markup syntax

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

minivanmegafun posted:

we use media wiki and only active members have logins because, well, I have better things to do than clean up spam.

which is what that bespoke no-auth wiki is going to turn in to because they made it hard to delete spam

no you just hand out the mysql account to all members so they can clean it up manually.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

no you just hand out the mysql account to all members so they can clean it up manually. post the login credentials on the wiki

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Thanks Ants posted:

no you just hand out the mysql account to all members so they can clean it up manually doocratically.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

OSI bean dip posted:

i'll start the wiki

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

This is SpaceWiki, a wiki for hackerspaces. It is meant to be stupid

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
if your users are so stupid that loving wikimarkup is a barrier to entry then how are they going to hack anything

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

A Pinball Wizard posted:

if your users are so stupid that loving wikimarkup is a barrier to entry then how are they going to hack anything

i don't think it's a comprehension barrier, i think it's just some OCD bullshit

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_invented_here

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i don't think it's a comprehension barrier, i think it's just some OCD bullshit

Yeah they're complaining that it has too much functionality that they'd "never use" and since they're :spergin: that's somehow a problem.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
probably the same kind of dillweed who would rather be mashing the shift key constantly to use html tags instead of bbcode on an internet forum

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
tbf i thought manual reverts meant viewing an older version, copying and pasting as a new revision

which is still loving stupid but not as convoluted as hacking the db

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i don't think it's a comprehension barrier, i think it's just some OCD bullshit

engineers around here complain about the wiki and keep talking about alternatives. im firmly of the opinion that if you're not using the one that's here you won't magically start updating some new one

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

JawnV6 posted:

engineers around here complain about the wiki and keep talking about alternatives. im firmly of the opinion that if you're not using the one that's here you won't magically start updating some new one

mediawiki is fine, as long as the people who run it arent complete morons who dont know how to organize a knowledge base

on a related note, gently caress my company's wiki

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
mediawiki is fine until you attempt to do absolutely any maintenance on it at all, at which point deleting it becomes an attractive option

e: by "it" i mean the software itself, not the content

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
anything's fine

anything you're can't be assed to do right now with the only solid complaint being about formatting won't magically be solved by a formatting tool

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

i like markdown

i would like wikis to just be markdown

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
markdown is hot garbage

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

markdown is hot garbage

i can read markdown in a sane and reasonable manner in plaintext so it gets a pass from me, 99% of documentation i need to write just needs a basic way to do titles and include images and do bullet point lists or numbered lists sanely

ban petition
-----

please go gently caress urself `op`

reasons u should go back to byob:

* your posts
* text me

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
markdown seems good except there's literally no standard and every implementation is different in stupid ways

and you have really bizarre syntax decisions like "a newline is two spaces at the end of a line" which is the worst example of significant whitespace i've ever heard of

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

daft punk railroad posted:

which is the worst example of significant whitespace i've ever heard of

ok not really, that distinction goes to the espruino

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

it will upset people who separate sentences with two spaces, which makes me happy

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

it will upset people who separate sentences with two spaces, which makes me happy

i.  will.  murder.  you

e: and whats wrong with \<enter> for newline? its obvious when youre scanning it, and it kinda makes sense too

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

it will upset people who separate sentences with two spaces, which makes me happy

i always thought that was just people who carried it over as an artifact from using a typewriter (since that's where it came from in the first place, as it made typing more legible when everything was monospace all the time) but now i know people my age doing it because it's how they were taught ugh

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

bitcoin bastard posted:

i.  will.  murder.  you

what, with an olivetti?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

i always thought that was just people who carried it over as an artifact from using a typewriter (since that's where it came from in the first place, as it made typing more legible when everything was monospace all the time) but now i know people my age doing it because it's how they were taught ugh

yeah this is really it, i got into the habit early and now its just muscle memory

wait forgot i was in yospos

lol at all these single space between sentence havers, maybe save up for a few months and get a bigger SSD if youre worried about all those wasted bytes U POORS

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

what, with an olivetti?

you laugh, but getting hit with a mechanical typewriter would definitely gently caress your day up

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
putting two spaces after a sentence sucks. i don't get it. just hit the key once, it's easier

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

daft punk railroad posted:

putting two spaces after a sentence sucks. i don't get it. just hit the key once, it's easier

do it in some versions of microsoft word and it will add that dumbass double-space character for you :downs:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

do it in some versions of microsoft word and it will add that dumbass double-space character for you :downs:

notepad.exe is basically part of microsoft office because im constantly using it to strip out all of the dumbass formatting mistakes ms office makes

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

bitcoin bastard posted:

notepad.exe is basically part of microsoft office because im constantly using it to strip out all of the dumbass formatting mistakes ms office makes

TinyMCE has plugins explicitly to do this which we make use of extensively at work. seriously gently caress you Microsoft stop assuming I want your long dashes and inverted "'s

  • Locked thread