Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Hyord posted:

Maybe its just that I havn't played this game in fifteen years but I'm not following the train of thought behind this Seifer epiphany. Could anyone help me put the pieces together?

From what I'm gathering, it's very spoilery, and as such in content with people not explaining until it comes up. I'm sure CG will mention it when the time comes.

Edit: I can't for the life of me remember either. It's okay, man. We'll get there together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Hyord posted:

Maybe its just that I havn't played this game in fifteen years but I'm not following the train of thought behind this Seifer epiphany. Could anyone help me put the pieces together?
It turns out he's actually "the one", not Squall.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

rickiep00h posted:

From what I'm gathering, it's very spoilery, and as such in content with people not explaining until it comes up. I'm sure CG will mention it when the time comes.

Edit: I can't for the life of me remember either. It's okay, man. We'll get there together.

Correct. It's not going to pay off for quite some time (when I planned to post about it) but even I didn't know the game gave you all the pieces in disc 1 and I knew what we were talking about. Hyord, I'd PM you the answer but you don't have them. so uh, if you go the FF wiki and look at Seifer's article you'll see it in the second paragraph under "Story."

that entire article is huge-rear end spoilers from sentence one, so anyone who wants to avoid them shouldn't :)

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 2, 2015

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

Psion posted:

Correct. It's not going to pay off for quite some time (when I planned to post about it) but even I didn't know the game gave you all the pieces in disc 1 and I knew what we were talking about. Hyord, I'd PM you the answer but you don't have them. so uh, if you go the FF wiki and look at Seifer's article you'll see it in the second paragraph under "Story."

that entire article is huge-rear end spoilers from sentence one, so anyone who wants to avoid them shouldn't :)
Would you mind PMing me? I just can't remember what it's referring to, but I've played and beaten the game years ago. :(

Also, this LP is awesome. I still think FF8 is really problematic, but I like how it's pointing out stuff that does work, or at least works in a certain context. Way more entertaining than just making fun of it more (which p. much everyone has done already, including me).

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER

Hyord posted:

Don't worry, I'll explain what everyone's talking about when we get there. It'll be a while, though.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Kacie posted:

That Squall manages to talk him into trying anyways - that was a great moment for both of them. (And to Irvine's credit, that shot was dead-on.) Really felt that Squall, Rinoa, and Irvine did start to gel as a real team, as Cool Ghost said.

JordanStiva posted:

Thoroughly enjoying this LP so far since, for better or worse, this is one of my favourite games. A thing I like about the mission gone wrong is that Squall's back-up plan is to leap off a building, smash a car into metal gates and face Seifer and an honest-to-god Sorceress by himself. Dude has balls, you've got to give him that.

Just want to say, both of these are good posts and good points. This part really is that good. Not even the Obligatory Sewer Level can ruin that. We've all seen how really weird it is that Squall, captain of being bad at teams is assigned as a squad leader, that these newbie SeeDs get assigned to a weird contract with the Forest Owls, that Galbadia Garden's headmaster assigns a ... questionable sharpshooter, all of that.

But we're also seeing Squall starting to show he's perhaps a little more than everyone bargained for.

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 2, 2015

Molly Millions
Jan 27, 2011

It's not like bullshit, more like poetry.
Squall is a lovely leader but the game is not afraid of reminding us that he's also a badass when the situation calls for it. I love his no fucks given face when he's driving that car.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

rickiep00h posted:

If you have played through the game and don't care about spoilers, just go read Seifer's character page on the final fantasy wikia. It's spelled out pretty explicitly there. Obviously, this is a terrible idea if you do care about spoilers.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Molly Millions posted:

Squall is a lovely leader but the game is not afraid of reminding us that he's also a badass when the situation calls for it. I love his no fucks given face when he's driving that car.

To be fair, no one at Garden is unaware of the fact that he's not a people person, but somehow he keeps getting put in leader positions because reasons.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cool Ghost posted:

Don't worry, I'll explain what everyone's talking about when we get there. It'll be a while, though.

Can you say how far in terms of 'latter half of disc two, middle of disc three'?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

morallyobjected posted:

To be fair, no one at Garden is unaware of the fact that he's not a people person, but somehow he keeps getting put in leader positions because reasons.

Well, Seifer was in charge during the exam, then he was in charge of the Timber team because would you trust Zell or Selphie to lead a team? Then after Timber Quistis let Squall take the lead since he knew the situation better, and it just settled into that groove from there.

My other issue with the sewer level is that we didn't get any chance for some B-party interaction. Quistis with the two hyperactive kids should have gotten something, but it took a backseat to the mission. It's a shame because characters in this game generally have memorable personalities but unless it's with Squall/Rinoa/Laguna, you barely see them interact with each other besides Irvine putting the moves on Selphie.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER

RareAcumen posted:

Can you say how far in terms of 'latter half of disc two, middle of disc three'?

Early disc three.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

then he was in charge of the Timber team because would you trust Selphie to lead a team?

Yes. :colbert:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

ApplesandOranges posted:

would you trust Selphie to lead a team?

Hell yes, I would.

poo poo, our missions would be completed with the aid of trains. I'm in for that.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

Well, Seifer was in charge during the exam, then he was in charge of the Timber team because would you trust Selphie to lead a team?
I don't see why not.

GrimRevenant
Mar 28, 2011

Je Reviendrai.

Leavemywife posted:

Hell yes, I would.

poo poo, our missions would be completed with the aid of trains. I'm in for that.
And rocket launchers! :syoon:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cool Ghost posted:

Early disc three.

Woof, man that's way off alright.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

RareAcumen posted:

Woof, man that's way off alright.

Which is probably why so many people didn't get it. Pretty much peak FFVIII.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

VagueRant posted:

Other than SeeD - have pronunciations come up yet?

Is it Dollett or Dollay?
Seefer, Cypher or Sayfer?
Eedee? Eddaya?
Delling? Deeling?

Doll - eht

See - fur

Ed - ee - uh

Deh - ling

It's how I said it all at release when I was 18 and it kinda stuck.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
So in Theathrythm Curtain Call, you can get little cards depicting each of the playable characters. You can get them through gameplay, but there are also one-time passwords to get some of them.

Rinoa's password is 'Stronger than Squall'. Since she naturally has a higher Str stat.

I found it mildly amusing, is all.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
Part Thirty-One: Peaceful Living

Last time on Final Fantasy VIII, things were looking bad for Squall and friends. Especially Squall, who had a big ice spear through his upper torso (for those of you playing along at home, that's where the heart and lungs live).

This time, we're Laguna, and a child is talking to us.

The first thing we can note about Laguna here is that he's not dead. Number two is he ditched his army uniform for a more casual ensemble.

: Hmm? Is he at the pub?
Child: Yup. That's why I came over to get yoo, Uncle Laguna!

"Uncle" Laguna? :raise: I guess we're seeing Laguna's home life now.

This text box at least gives us a name for the kid.

Laguna is mad at her for something.

: It's dangerous to be out there by yourself. What if a monster comes and attacks you?
Elle: It's only next door. It's ok.
: It's still dangerous!

I think this is the most responsible we've ever seen Laguna be.

: They'll catch you and then they'll suck all your blood out! If anything like that should happen, Uncle Laguna's gonna cry...
Elle: I'll be ok.

The kid is pretty confident.

Are we talking about the same Laguna?

...And she runs off.

Here's Laguna's stats right now, if you were curious. 100 Str is pretty nice.

They didn't heal me after the boss... :negative:

Over here is a hidden Curaga draw point.

This adds, like, 150 points to my HP. :toot:

Downstairs, there are...a lot of bullet holes. More than in my place, that's for sure.

I guess "Elle" was just a nickname.

Laguna ruffles her hair a little.

Then she spends some time straightening it back out. It's pretty cute.

: Right?

After that little exchange, Ellone heads outside.

I took a break to do some junctioning, though. Laguna has Squall's old junctions, and everything else is available.

I threw on Enc-None for the next little bit.

Welcome to the town of Winhill. It's a nice little place.

While I'm introducing it, I suppose the music would be apropos:

Here's the info page for Winhill. It must be important for somethin' if Esthar went multiple times.

: That was 2 years ago, right? They would've been here by now.

Sounds like things have quieted down, though.

Soldier: But... You never know what a country ruled by a sorceress could be up to...

People do not trust sorceresses.

Going off this, it sounds like Laguna didn't officially leave the army.

Soldier: We're only on watch for Esthar soldiers. Screw the monsters.
: Give me a break, guys...

Seems like these guys don't really care much about Winhill.

: It's a heckuva lot better than what Esthar soldiers do. They kidnap little girls, you know? I think they're lookin' for a successor to Sorceress Adel, the ruler of Esthar.
Soldier: If they come back here again, I'm sure it'll be for Ellone this time.
: Hah! But they gotta go through me!

I'm sure Laguna can handle Esthar.

For example, he'll have these 10 Dispel spells on his side.

During this sequence, we cannot leave Winhill.

We also can't go into this big house.

In fact, the only place we can go is the bar.

: Ellone, now's your chance!

Having used a GF to avoid fighting monsters, Laguna knows it's safe.

So she comes running over.

Inside, Ellone is getting yelled at, probably for going outside by herself.

Raine: Now go to your room and play.

Raine: Laguna! Use proper English when speaking to Ellone!

Well, it seems like Laguna's leading a pretty quiet life since he fell off that cliff.

While Laguna and Ellone are sharing a laugh, Kiros walks in from off-screen.

: It's been a while, Laguna.

Laguna seems excited to see an old friend.

Note that Laguna is not whispering here.

And the kid just parrots what he was saying.

You can't talk to Raine over the counter.

And then, after I took all the time to go around, she just told me to talk to Kiros.

Might as well.

: Yeah... You, too.

: That was... One would usually call that being chased out...
Raine: I thought so...

I feel like Laguna's retelling of that story isn't 100% faithful.

: Well, I would say about a year or so.
: I was bed-ridden for over 6 months. It seemed like every bone in my body was in pieces.
Raine: I nursed him back to health.

Isn't that nice?

: Thank you, for taking good care of Laguna.

It must have been difficult, he's so dedicated to making bad decisions.

: Why?
: After leaving the army... Well, just killing time, I guess. Life's pretty boring without you as entertainment, my man.
: That's a harsh thing to say. I've been living a productive life here.

: So, what do you want to know?

And now we have the chance to ask Kiros some questions. Let's start with the odd one out.

: ...Faeries? Yeah, I guess so...
: Then our work today should be a cinch.
: I'm looking forward to the battles.

If you choose the same option twice, you get a little thought from Laguna about that topic.

: Ward quit the army, too.

Jeez, these guys are a bunch of quitters.

: Luckily, he found a job and he's been working pretty hard.
: What's he doing?
: He's a janitor down at the D-District Prison.

I think the Forest Owls told Squall about that place back on their train.

: Can't picture him moppin' floors but I'm glad he's doing well.
: Oh, and he never got his voice back. You could basically tell what he wants from his facial expressions.

It's good to know that nobody died in Centra, at least.

Asking about Ward again gets this.

And there's only one topic left.

: ...How's Julia doing?
: I don't know...
Raine: You mean Julia, the singer?
: That's right.

Hey, last time she specifically said she couldn't write lyrics.

: Laguna really admired her and always frequented the night club.
: Shut up! So what if I did!

: No, she didn't sing. She just played the piano.
Raine: Then the first song she released was 'Eyes On Me'?
: H-How does the song go?
Raine: You don't know?
: Well, you never let me hear it!
Raine: I didn't think you listened to music. The song's about being in love... I really like it.
: Heard she recently got married.
Raine: Oh yeah!

Caraway, eh?

So there's the information that lets you figure something out: Julia is Rinoa's mother. It's a little more obvious if you know they share a last name (Heartilly), but at this point the game basically spells it out for you.

: I'm not too sure.

Huh, I wonder who that could've been.

Nah, I'm messin' with you. It's Laguna.

Raine: General Caraway comforted her while she was feeling down. That's how they got to know each other.
: ...So she didn't wait for the soldier to come back...?

Well, his dumb rear end spent half a year in a bed after he jumped off a cliff.

Laguna knows who the soldier is, but I think he's the only one.

: As long as she's happy, right? That's all that matters!

He's trying to cover. What a smooth guy.

My hero. :allears:

This sequence is pretty nice because it gives you a good sense of how Laguna's been living after the Centra sequence, and because it's a reprieve from all the hectic running around of the Deling City sequence. There's a non-zero amount of plot and background info here, too, but it's really just nice to be able to stand around and chat after trying to kill the sorceress. I really like Winhill as an opener for disc two.

That's the end of the chat about Julia.

And there's Laguna's thought about it.

With that, all the dialogue options are exhausted.

: ...OK
: So, what's your plan? You're gonna stick around here for a bit, right?
: Would that be ok?
Raine: You work for what you eat. If that's fine with you, you're more than welcome.

So, with all that sorted, we're free to go to work.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
I love that music combined with the sequence, it really makes it seem like a soothing sequence.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

The subplot with Raine and Laguna is really one of the best-written things in the game, I think. It's really well done.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Yeah, I have oddly warm and fuzzy memories of this whole sequence too. It's just so relentlessly NICE. After all the business with crazy witch powers, and Squall being terrible and Rinoa being terrible and Quistis being...odd and Irvine being useless...You get a guy living in a chill town with a chill bar and a chill lady, you've got the cute little girl being adorable and the warmth of old friends greeting each other.

Laguna's relationships with people and his wearing his heart on his sleeve like that just makes him a lot more fun to spend time with as a character than Squall.

That Irish Gal
Jul 8, 2012

Your existence amounts to nothing more than a goldfish swimming upriver.

PS: We are all actually cats
There's some more dialogue after you select the the third option for a third time :ssh:

Extra Tasty
Aug 5, 2014

Agreeing with whoever said that Laguna and Raine are one of the better parts of this game. Pretty rare for two rational (relatively speaking, in Laguna's case) human adults to generally have their poo poo together in a Final Fantasy game.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

VagueRant posted:

Laguna's relationships with people and his wearing his heart on his sleeve like that just makes him a lot more fun to spend time with as a character than Squall.

Which is one of the main reasons I like this sequence. With the impalement of Squall my brain immediately started comparing him and Laguna during this sequence and Squall was found wanting by quite a bit.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Laguna is pretty cool. E: Is Squall in his head now?

MoadDib
Apr 4, 2009

That Irish Guy posted:

There's some more dialogue after you select the the third option for a third time :ssh:

Oh nice, I didn't even know about selecting it twice back when I first played the game. What's the third bit of dialogue?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
It's probably pretty clear at this point but I'll point out that General Caraway was probably the one who sent Laguna to Esther in the first place.

GrimRevenant
Mar 28, 2011

Je Reviendrai.

Iretep posted:

It's probably pretty clear at this point but I'll point out that General Caraway was probably the one who sent Laguna to Esther in the first place.
Ah, the age-old Bathsheba situation, eh? I don't know why that never occurred to me before.

fakeedit: Oh right, I was a kid and fairly uncritical. :v:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

GrimRevenant posted:

Ah, the age-old Bathsheba situation, eh? I don't know why that never occurred to me before.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/UriahGambit

quote:

fakeedit: Oh right, I was a kid and fairly uncritical. :v:
That, or the game is kinda terrible at explaining itself and you kinda give up on anything making sense or being connected to anything else.

inverts
Jul 6, 2014
Yeah, I never would have considered that General Caraway probably sent Laguna off. I'm glad this thread points out the connections like this one, otherwise I would constantly miss them all.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

So, there we have a reason for Rinoa and Caraway's strained relationship. She's figured out that he manipulated Julia into marrying him.

On the other hand, it really did seem that Laguna got lost and wasn't supposed to be in those ruins in the first place...

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
But is there anything to support this theory besides Carraway having a higher rank and then hooking up with Julia? The game doesn't even say Carraway knew Julia before Laguna left, or that Laguna had ever met Carraway, let alone that Carraway was Laguna's commanding officer and was scheming to get rid of him.

This game definitely seems to inspire people to come up with a lot of fan theories, I'll give it that.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Schwartzcough posted:

But is there anything to support this theory besides Carraway having a higher rank and then hooking up with Julia? The game doesn't even say Carraway knew Julia before Laguna left, or that Laguna had ever met Carraway, let alone that Carraway was Laguna's commanding officer and was scheming to get rid of him.

This game definitely seems to inspire people to come up with a lot of fan theories, I'll give it that.

Yeah, this might be just my fan theory. I'm trying to find the dialogue in the first dream sequence I REMEMBER happened but seems like either Cool Ghost didn't find the obscure point you had to talk to the red soldier or my mind is making stuff up of a game I played like 10 years ago. From what I remember the red soldier had to be in a special position to even mention the hint toward Carraway and I don't see in the screenshots that he's in it any of them so I'm probably just remembering wrong.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

There is a Galbadian Officer (or "red soldier") in the bar that threatens to punish Laguna for getting too close to Julia. That said, there's nothing to suggest that that officer was Caraway, or that Caraway was involved in any way with Laguna's last mission. For that matter, there's no evidence I'm aware of that the officer in question was involved - it could easily have been an idle threat. An interesting theory, but there's not much support to it, much like nearly every other fan theory about this game (and we're not even allowed to talk about the most idiotic one yet).

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

There may not be much to support it but it still feels right from a dramatic standpoint. At least as fan theories go it requires a minimum of flights of fancy.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

What we actually know:

- Red soldier in Laguna #1 was pissed that Laguna got Julia's attention, and threatened to send him to war far away (or something like that). Red soldier is in no way labeled as Laguna's direct superior or anything.
- At the end of Laguna #1, he's summoned away with a new assignment. This may or may not be as a result of red soldier's actions/threats.
- During Laguna #2, he's off in Centra on assignment. This may or may not be the same one mentioned at the end of Laguna #1.
- During Laguna #3, we learn that a. Laguna's been in Winhill since the poo poo went down at the end of Laguna #2 and b. in the meantime, Caraway got together with Julia, comforting her for her loss.

Now, we can very very reasonably suspect that the assignment in #2 is the same one he's yanked off to at the end of #1. This would explain the whole "Julia liked him but then he went off to war and never came back" bit - they had their moment, and then his very next assignment was the one where he fell off the map.

We can somewhat suspect that the red soldier might have had a hand in that assignment going to Laguna either a. at all or b. quite so immediately, given his threat. There is no particular proof of this, and he might also have been full of hot air, but it's believable enough.

We have basically no reason to suspect that Caraway had anything to do with it beyond what's explicitly mentioned. Fan theory could certainly claim that the red soldier is either an unlabeled Caraway or is working on Caraway's behalf to get Laguna out of the way, but there's nothing backing this up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Of course, conservation of narrative detail combined with FFVIII's well demonstrated habit of hiding relevant info in easily missed spots makes the theory pretty likely; after all, if the officer in Laguna sequence 1 is really irrelevant, then why bother putting him in at all?

• Locked thread