Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I've been thinking about pod killing and what it could be useful for? Compare it to weapon drops in fights, if you win a fight decisively you have time to get pods/get pickups. Obviously just having it give dread is kinda dull (and you can get dread doing fun stuff like killing more ships ) so what if it tied into the evasiveness stuff I talked about earlier?

Could pod killing be a way of slowing down retribution waves kind of like a minor moral thing, or killing pods gave you intel to fuel whatever evasive countermeasures you put in on lower difficulties?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Wow. That VOD was by far the most informative and exciting thing yet!

I'm floored by where the game is at right now. Hopeful that it'll be "done" by the summer!

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Something else super minor I noticed was that you (and everyone else, presumably) are mashing the 'spawn ship' button when the warren isn't clear for a few seconds. Maybe you could do a 2-3 second cinematic zoom-in on the ship as it comes out to 'waste' that time and show off the awesome models? Maybe with a press button to cancel for people who really hate it or something.

It wasn't clear if you could get followed to the warren and attacked, so that's probably a bad idea when in combat, but I think it'd be a nice touch otherwise.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 6, 2015

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
That Twitch stream was excellent, Kairo. When you play, do you use a 360 controller or M+KB?

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Tanith posted:

That Twitch stream was excellent, Kairo. When you play, do you use a 360 controller or M+KB?

Thanks! I use a 360 controller. I wrote a lot of code to make tactical mode easier to handle on a gamepad, using flick selections, which is why I get nervous when people want to play the game like it's a pure sim. It's nowhere near perfect (and may never be), but it gets the job done. It's another reason I am keeping unit counts at skirmish sizes.

KBAM works too, but it tends to fall behind as I add more functionality. Bringing it back up to parity is on my list this week.

Bhodi posted:

Something else super minor I noticed was that you (and everyone else, presumably) are mashing the 'spawn ship' button when the warren isn't clear for a few seconds...

I noticed this too. The lane clearance check was overly aggressive, but I fixed that this weekend. It should be better now!

Re: Warrens -- I like that Warrens are safe, meaning you can't be chased into them due to interference. You can sort of cheese certain encounters with it, but I am not super worried about that (having had a lot of fun farming and exploiting encounters in Bloodborne this weekend). :)

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

No sign of intelligent life on this planet.

Thyrork posted:

The vod is Here.

He spends the first 23 minutes or so just playing, and starts answering questions at 24.

This was such a good preview. My god, i am so hyped. :magical:

Excellent video, and thanks Kairo for taking the time to hook up a headset and give a running commentary. I didn't realize how much time had passed until you said "it's been an hour".

All those escape pods just hanging in space are begging to be popped.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Kairo posted:

Thanks! I use a 360 controller. I wrote a lot of code to make tactical mode easier to handle on a gamepad, using flick selections, which is why I get nervous when people want to play the game like it's a pure sim. It's nowhere near perfect (and may never be), but it gets the job done. It's another reason I am keeping unit counts at skirmish sizes.

KBAM works too, but it tends to fall behind as I add more functionality. Bringing it back up to parity is on my list this week.

Oh wow. I thought for sure you were KBMing because everything looked so quick and precise.

Is there aim assist? Or whatever you call that 'stickiness' when your reticle crosses an enemy?

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Is there aim assist? Or whatever you call that 'stickiness' when your reticle crosses an enemy?

There is auto-aim! I tried stickiness, but that doesn't work as well in a vehicle. I should try to find an old video where I was inadvertently dragged into a friendly collision when someone passed in front of me.

The leading has settled on TIE-Fighter mode, where I don't give you a lead reticle but give you a tone and flashy HUD when you're close enough for autoaim to take over. It adds an appropriate amount of artificial difficulty and makes you watch your target instead of some HUD element, which is what I want.

It's funny, because as I work on weapons, I find myself gravitating to what I learned on Halo. Ex: Human weapons have faster projectiles because they're more fun to shoot, while Covenant weapons are slow because they're more fun to dodge. Yay for asymmetric sides!

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Kairo posted:

It's funny, because as I work on weapons, I find myself gravitating to what I learned on Halo. Ex: Human weapons have faster projectiles because they're more fun to shoot, while Covenant weapons are slow because they're more fun to dodge. Yay for asymmetric sides!

Huh, never noticed that. The Needler actually was very fun to dodge*. But how did that work when the player had Covenant weapons? Did the projectiles get a boost or something? Conversely, when the Flood had human weapons, did they get less accurate?

*: I only played Halo CE.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Wow, absolutely incredible. I like the decision to focus on a more arcade-ish experience as opposed to some kind of pure space sim. Your vision and execution is a lot tighter and more clear than others in the genre, and I think it suits you really well.

Pity about the encyclopedia, that's one of my favorite things as well. Is the majority of the work related to the fiction or coming up with the system itself?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Kairo posted:

...Ex: Human weapons have faster projectiles because they're more fun to shoot, while Covenant weapons are slow because they're more fun to dodge. Yay for asymmetric sides!
Wow, I never picked up on that at the time, but you're right: that is far more fun. Was that a holdover from Marathon days, or just something re-invented for Halo?

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Ynglaur posted:

Wow, I never picked up on that at the time, but you're right: that is far more fun. Was that a holdover from Marathon days, or just something re-invented for Halo?

I think it's something that sort of happened during Marathon due to theme (human vs alien) but they recognized how well this actually worked and made it a paradigm all future weapons and balancing followed. You can see this idea all over the place in Destiny too. It's also why we dropped the Covenant Sniper Rifle in Reach and used the Focus Rifle for AI snipers.

HardDisk posted:

Huh, never noticed that. The Needler actually was very fun to dodge*. But how did that work when the player had Covenant weapons? Did the projectiles get a boost or something? Conversely, when the Flood had human weapons, did they get less accurate?

When the player was holding a Covenant weapon, it had a special projectile speed (I'm not sure how much this was actually tweaked). But AI projectiles using the same weapon got faster and more accurate as you went up in difficulty, as did their rate of fire.

On Easy Difficulty in Reach, it was impossible to die while standing there in front of a few grunts. Our campaign lead (who balanced this stuff) told me it was more likely they would kill each other due to errant shots, causing them to drop sticky grenades they were in the process of throwing. Also, sticky grenades never actually stuck to you on easy.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Kairo posted:

I think it's something that sort of happened during Marathon due to theme (human vs alien) but they recognized how well this actually worked and made it a paradigm all future weapons and balancing followed. You can see this idea all over the place in Destiny too. It's also why we dropped the Covenant Sniper Rifle in Reach and used the Focus Rifle for AI snipers.

The basic idea is in Pathways into Darkness even, only more so because the player character is molasses slow

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
Finally back from vacation and this VOD is top of my list of things to catch up on.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Can you please already release this so I can proceed to give you all of my money? tia

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I keep forgetting you were a Bungie dev, and yeah, dodging plasma weapons (especially charged pistol shots) was always fun.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm so drat excited for this game. Wound up buying Homeworld Remastered to give me some space strategy in the meantime. (...and kindof regretting since I already own every entry and HW1 remastered seems kindof spotty. Sure is pretty though.)

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I keep forgetting you were a Bungie dev, and yeah, dodging plasma weapons (especially charged pistol shots) was always fun.

He was also the guy in charge of Pfhor puns on Marathon 2.

Which is why there's going to be Pfhor puns in Enemy Starfighter. I hope.

I hope I hope I hope....

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Seeing the sensor pinging followed by cat-and-mousing around in that stream after playing World of Warships recently made me re-install Silent Hunter, so thanks for that Kairo. I liked what you said about Shadows of Mordor's influence on your thinking. Some of the best times in that game came from stealth going wrong and having to fight several captains at once.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

EVE ratting: the game: fun edition is going to be amazing and I can't wait

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Thinking about escape pods, I think it would make a lot of sense if your ships just automatically killed them when there's nothing else to do. Like if you're sitting around in the tactical screen planning your next move you would occasionally see an escape pod blow up because a gunner got bored and hey ammunition is cheap. It would really add to the idea that you really are the bad guy who is not to be hosed with, especially if the radio chatter included laughing and joking every time they killed one.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
"Hey watch this." *Pause* "Heh, cracked like a can of rations." :stonk:

Its the "Hold my beer." of evil invading space aces.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

He was also the guy in charge of Pfhor puns on Marathon 2.
:stare: ITT we post among giants. I remember being :smuggo: about Marathon when everyone was raving about Doom. "Yeah, that's cool and all, but have you played a shooter with 3-d environments? Oh, look, there are 8 sprites per bad guy. How cute."* It was the early 90's teenage equivalent of e-peen.

* Marathon had 32.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Thinking about escape pods, I think it would make a lot of sense if your ships just automatically killed them when there's nothing else to do. Like if you're sitting around in the tactical screen planning your next move you would occasionally see an escape pod blow up because a gunner got bored and hey ammunition is cheap. It would really add to the idea that you really are the bad guy who is not to be hosed with, especially if the radio chatter included laughing and joking every time they killed one.

Just have some Iraq/Afghanistan guncam chatter

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
It would also make sense if there was an option to have your guys pick up repair and ammunition on their own. I'm the kind of obsessive personality that would make my guys repair at every possible moment, so having them do it on their own with a global "scavenge what you need" order would satiate my OCD.

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Ynglaur posted:

:stare: ITT we post among giants. I remember being :smuggo: about Marathon when everyone was raving about Doom. "Yeah, that's cool and all, but have you played a shooter with 3-d environments? Oh, look, there are 8 sprites per bad guy. How cute."* It was the early 90's teenage equivalent of e-peen.

* Marathon had 32.

I was only there for Reach, before any of this gets out of hand. A newbie!

My friend had a mac and was always raving about Marathon. I didn't really appreciate it until later. Myth was my jam though, mostly campaign coop. Easily hundreds of hours, and I bought a Voodoo3 specifically for it.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I tried Myth, but only years after Total War came out, so I was already spoiled.

I need to fire up Marathon again, though. You'd think a keyboard and mouse would make it easier, but I'm so terrible I can barely go the level up from Kindergarten.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Ynglaur posted:

I tried Myth, but only years after Total War came out, so I was already spoiled.

I need to fire up Marathon again, though. You'd think a keyboard and mouse would make it easier, but I'm so terrible I can barely go the level up from Kindergarten.

Spoiled?

You mean they finally added throwing packets of dynamite that deform terrain in Total War?

I guess I've been missing a lot.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
I've been disgustingly excited for this ever since I saw the early 2014 trailer. But everything I'd seen up to this point was primarily just dogfights. Seeing the logic behind a play session in the vod is pretty exciting- the number of options and intelligence of the AI with the game already where it is, is really remarkable and exciting.

The soundtrack also might be one of the few I buy outright, every time I hear it, I love it. However, I watched some of the earlier development vods- think we could get your playlist, Kairo? It seems to fit the game so well.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Kairo posted:

As long as you have a vociferous beta tester playing with an old school joystick, you're probably gonna make me happy. I am not a pure sim guy, though, but I'd expect about the complexity of TIE Fighter? Much of the appeal here is that it's much more than "point ship at thing and shoot until explosion." There's a lot to keep the plotting brain busy as the last video shows. I think it will make me happy.

As far as "flicking" goes, I'm down. Here's why: I kinda dug the menu system in Independence War 2, which was designed to either work with the joystick hat switch, or the arrow keys. And many of the options worked with hotkeys as well, but if you wanted, you could get that "quickly pressing a key combo" feel by tapping out a pattern with the arrow keys. I can totally see myself doing that with joystick+keyboard, or joystick+hat. I like my pew pew to come with a little beep beep boop boop if that makes sense.

Your game is going to be good, Kairo, and anyone who doesn't love it is stupid. But you really should give us a release decade at some point!

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Ynglaur posted:

Well it really doesn't help that the only source port available for Marathon has really terrible mouse support and is run by a bunch of turbo-grogs so they'll shout at you if you dare ask them to make it better (they take the stance that since it was lovely in the original it should be lovely in their modern source port).

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Kairo posted:

On Easy Difficulty in Reach, it was impossible to die while standing there in front of a few grunts. Our campaign lead (who balanced this stuff) told me it was more likely they would kill each other due to errant shots, causing them to drop sticky grenades they were in the process of throwing. Also, sticky grenades never actually stuck to you on easy.
This is hilarious.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
In Crysis 2 (actually one of my favorite games, I know, I know) a single alien grunt couldn't kill you even on the Posthuman Warrior difficulty because it spent so much time moving from cover to cover, making social gestures, and menacing you that your health would recharge between attacks.

That was the first time I felt compelled to figure out how to mod a game's AI.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

It seems somehow kind of appropriate for Covenant Grunts though. Those loveable goofballs were endearingly incompetent most of the time. :allears:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

General Battuta posted:

In Crysis 2 (actually one of my favorite games, I know, I know) a single alien grunt couldn't kill you even on the Posthuman Warrior difficulty because it spent so much time moving from cover to cover, making social gestures, and menacing you that your health would recharge between attacks.

That was the first time I felt compelled to figure out how to mod a game's AI.

Crysis 2 had its moments but I was always disappointed that the alien grunts weren't as fun to bowl over as the soldiers in Crysis 1 were.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Kairo, two questions I thought of from the VOD:

1) What significance did (or will) the security level have to the various nodes? If this was explained in the thread or the video somewhere I missed it, sorry.

2) It was hard to tell exactly why you were so afraid of the Lane Marshals. The only brawl that you engaged them in was the one where you were horribly outnumbered anyway (and ended up restarting right afterwards). In that engagement though, all that being said, the Lane Marshal was nearly dead anyway. What exactly is there to stop you from drawing them out and blowing them away intentionally to make stealth a moot point? Also, do they respawn when you repair at a Warren or not? If they do, that might explain why, since destroying them would be an irrelevant waste of time and forces.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Kairo, will we ever see the defending empire fighting other factions? Say you jump in the middle of a pirate operation against a cruiser and its escorted supply frigates and gleefully attack both sides?

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

HiroProtagonist posted:

1) What significance did (or will) the security level have to the various nodes? If this was explained in the thread or the video somewhere I missed it, sorry.

Higher security level determines who is guarding the system and their chances for being generated. This radiates out from the homeworld as you'd expect. There's no tiered approach like EVE (0.5+ vs 0 ->0.50).

HiroProtagonist posted:

2) It was hard to tell exactly why you were so afraid of the Lane Marshals. The only brawl that you engaged them in was the one where you were horribly outnumbered anyway (and ended up restarting right afterwards). In that engagement though, all that being said, the Lane Marshal was nearly dead anyway. What exactly is there to stop you from drawing them out and blowing them away intentionally to make stealth a moot point? Also, do they respawn when you repair at a Warren or not? If they do, that might explain why, since destroying them would be an irrelevant waste of time and forces.

Nothing's stopping you from drawing them out and eliminating them to make your life easier. It's totally encouraged if you don't want to deal with them. But the home world does keep refilling dead lane marshal squads on its own.

Repairing at a warren lowers the security level (since it takes time), but respawns everyone but the High Council. I wasn't joking when I said they were like bonfires. :darksouls:

Thyrork posted:

Kairo, will we ever see the defending empire fighting other factions? Say you jump in the middle of a pirate operation against a cruiser and its escorted supply frigates and gleefully attack both sides?

Third fronts are always cool but it's a lot of work to add what is essentially a new faction, even if it's the same models. Someone also mentioned an awesome ancient leviathan ship a few pages back. Same deal.

Edit: Picture in picture for when you zoom out in tactical and heavy ammo counts for fighters in tactical. Still working on the ammo icons/positioning, and the PiP will probably stay on the lowest level of detail for a while.

Kairo fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Apr 7, 2015

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Add giant space animals please

Thank you in advance for adding giant space animals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Watched the VOD, was the first time I actually watched any extended footage.

I found it rather confusing to make out what the gently caress was going on but that got better towards the end. Knowing what the symbols mean would probably help too.

I also used to have the impression that it was a space fighter sim first and a tactical sim second, but it seems that it's the other way around? Not posting much but still following development with interest.

• Locked thread