Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
The problem with trying to change history by targeting individuals is that it requires you to subscribe to 'Great Man' historical theories which ignore the social conditions that enable big, history shaping figures to emerge. Kill Hitler and some other ambitious German/Austrian leader will use the resentment of the people as a springboard to power. Kill Columbus and any number of his contemporaries will lay waste to the Americas instead. Kill Attila the Hun and Rome will fall to some other force of migrating horsemen. Kill Caesar and Pompey starts the empire.

In order to make an appreciable dent on history you have to kill so many people that you become the evil dictator you were gunning for in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

McSpanky posted:

I tried to follow his line of reasoning to put a single face to Western exploitation of other continents for the express purpose of chattel slavery, and my offhand answer was "kill Christopher Columbus", so I guess he's got a point.

Oh man, this just reminded me of an absolutely terrible book I read when I was younger.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
If you first act upon gaining access to a time machine isn't looking up a list of lost classics I don't even know what you're doing with your life :colbert:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

reignonyourparade posted:

If you first act upon gaining access to a time machine isn't looking up a list of lost classics I don't even know what you're doing with your life :colbert:

I'm going to be too busy watching the original Star Wars in theaters opening night.

EDIT: Jaws, Alien and Raiders, too.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Soonmot posted:

I'm going to be too busy watching the original Star Wars in theaters opening night.

show up 2 hours before the premier of empire strikes back and tell everyone who lukes father is

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I'm self serving, not evil!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'd troll the poo poo out of the Doctor Who thread re: the lost episodes.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Soonmot posted:

I'd insert subliminal Dickbutts in all these movies.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

jsoh posted:

show up 2 hours before the premier of empire strikes back and tell everyone who lukes father is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neuMyI8M5fc

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

thatbastardken posted:

The problem with trying to change history by targeting individuals is that it requires you to subscribe to 'Great Man' historical theories which ignore the social conditions that enable big, history shaping figures to emerge. Kill Hitler and some other ambitious German/Austrian leader will use the resentment of the people as a springboard to power. Kill Columbus and any number of his contemporaries will lay waste to the Americas instead. Kill Attila the Hun and Rome will fall to some other force of migrating horsemen. Kill Caesar and Pompey starts the empire.

In order to make an appreciable dent on history you have to kill so many people that you become the evil dictator you were gunning for in the first place.

I don't know. A bomb killing Hitler plus most of the Nazi leadership in 1932 would very likely put the final nail in the coffin of German fascism. There would then most likely either have been a right-wing conservative (but not fascist) dictatorship, which may or may not start a war of aggression to regain lost lands, or a communist revolution.

The criticism of Great Man history also likes to ignore the fact that these social conditions come about by the acts of individuals, including the people who write the laws and implement them. You can't understand Nazi Germany by looking solely at Hitler, but you also can't understand it by ignoring him.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

The best way to go about changing history:

Travel back to a set point in time, let's say 10 000 years ago. Find a safe place, wait for a few hours to see if you show up.

Go to the time where you actually want to change history.

Go back to the present, see if you like the results.

If you like the results, go back 10 000 years ago and tell yourself to go ahead.

If you didn't show up 10 000 years ago to give yourself the go-ahead, think of a better plan or scrap time travel all together.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Captain Bravo posted:

Oh man, this just reminded me of an absolutely terrible book I read when I was younger.

Was this terrible book by Orson Scott Card

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
The only real way to use time travel was laid out in the documentary Chrono Trigger.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Suetonius' Lives of Famous Whores is the first book that should be recovered if this is done.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

AnonSpore posted:

Was this terrible book by Orson Scott Card

Yyyyyep. I read Ender's Game, thought "That book was awesome!" and so I grabbed the next book I could find by Card and... :smith:

Even better, I managed to convince myself it must have been a fluke, and wasted time/money reading the stupid sequels and prequels to Ender's Game too. :doh:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Captain Bravo posted:

Yyyyyep. I read Ender's Game, thought "That book was awesome!" and so I grabbed the next book I could find by Card and... :smith:

Even better, I managed to convince myself it must have been a fluke, and wasted time/money reading the stupid sequels and prequels to Ender's Game too. :doh:
Hey! Speaker for the Dead was passable, and Xenocide... I never read Xenocide, but I've heard it's not all bad.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Poison Mushroom posted:

Hey! Speaker for the Dead was passable, and Xenocide... I never read Xenocide, but I've heard it's not all bad.

You heard wrong.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
And Ender's Game is only good because it shamelessly panders to the Sad Nerd Who Wants To Feel Special demographic.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

MikeJF posted:

I mean if I were to get a time machine and determined to change the timeline to better humanity I'd admit I don't know anywhere near enough and employ a large team of historians.

The trick is you don't change the past to improve the present. You change the future to improve the present. And you do that by sending messages, not by going there and doing anything. See, if you can go back, so can a sheet of paper. Or more usefully, an electrical signal. You take the time machine and hook it up to a computer. The results of any process it does can then be sent back into the past, or basically now, no matter how long it would take to model and calculate the results. They talk about "It would take all the supercomputers running for a thousand years to solve this problem!", well now you have that without needing to have the computers or thousand years.

You basically gain perfect precognition - even if it can't be modeled, you can see how things play out and send the message back. Every mystery of math and science becomes instantly known. The economy is basically forced to convert away from its current track- high frequency trading is now defunct, markets are unnecessary (they are a way to handle an NP insufficient information problem, which is now solved), and digital commerce is now all unprotected anyways. The base structure of capitalism just evaporated because all the economic costs are now gone - labor cost is no more because you can send the finished product back, avoidable costs are now avoided, opportunity costs took flight with the 2nd law of thermodynamics, resource cost are gone along with scarcity because you know where it is and can send it back, transport costs are gone because a time machine is a ftl device... you basically get dumped into functional utopian communism by default as unique self actualized services are the only thing the time machine doesn't provide for.

Even if you want to put it down that you can't use it as a way to instantly make any good, then just call forward 50 years and ask for the detailed plans to build a robot, and your labor costs are still gone. Hook a time machine up to a computer and you get an oracle, and with it shatter every underlying, baked in assumption that makes the current status quo.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Man these past people are lazy assholes. Let's stop taking their calls.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Not everyone can be Zinyak.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Patrick your host body will not live long enough to see your great works completed! Better research immortality first!

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Maybe that's why he's looking into time travel! He could arrange for the world to be taken over in the past and come back to a future where he's already in charge.

I'm still waiting for the page that just has "Supervillain" as the caption. Maybe that's coming soon.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh, Patrick. :allears:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Ugh, that's Patrick's solution for EVERYTHING. :rolleyes:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i'm on board with this hypothetical venture

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Glad to see his heel-face turn was in fact a long con to turn Alison to the Dark Side.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Hello, I still read the comic but I stopped reading this thread a while ago because of the awful bickering people would start at the slightest provocation. Has it gotten better?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Pavlov posted:

Hello, I still read the comic but I stopped reading this thread a while ago because of the awful bickering people would start at the slightest provocation. Has it gotten better?

Not even a chance.

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

No one in this thread is talking about the most important aspect of Alison meeting Patrick.

Page 94, page 96: Alison is wearing tights
Page 98: OR IS SHE!?
Page 101: nah she is
Page 102: nah she isn't

Most likely explanation is that Mary is in the room and her invisibility aura thing is distorting whether Alison's tights are visible, closely followed by artist error.

edit: tights are now a constant the conspiracy is real

Vanilla Bison fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Apr 6, 2015

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Trast posted:

Not even a chance.

Ok I guess I'll try again next year.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

I remain convinced that he's trying to lead her into a thought process he wants.

Every time she asks him something, he seems to deflect and then move on to another subject. Like he's trying to funnel her into a direction he wants. I really think he's either dodging questions in advance, or he's trying to lead her into agreeing to help him with something terrible by figuring out the best way to handle it. Find out what she'd do with these loaded questions, then figure out the best way to ask for help with something she'd never help.

Or poo poo maybe he's trying to pull a SMBC and have Alison power an energy source for as long as she can without exhaustion.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Vanilla Bison posted:

No one in this thread is talking about the most important aspect of Alison meeting Patrick.

Page 94, page 96: Alison is wearing tights
Page 98: OR IS SHE!?
Page 101: nah she is
Page 102: nah she isn't

Most likely explanation is that Mary is in the room and her invisibility aura thing is distorting whether Alison's tights are visible, closely followed by artist error.

You forgot, "Patrick has already started messing with time and subtle variations in the space-time continuum vibration cause her tights to appear and disappear depending on the page thanks to the ripple effects."

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
None of those plans are very actionable for NORMAL people sure, but Allison could probably singlehandedly overthrow capitalism.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Patrick's key failure here is thinking you need to kill every bad person, rather than just killing enough that the remainder are sufficiently terrified into acting morally. Like the Racist Tree parable but with more backbreakers.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Well at least things have seemingly moved in a interesting direction.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

mr. stefan posted:

Patrick's key failure here is thinking you need to kill every bad person, rather than just killing enough that the remainder are sufficiently terrified into acting morally. Like the Racist Tree parable but with more backbreakers.

As shown by the murder rate in the US, which is a solid 0 because of the death penalty.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

ArchangeI posted:

As shown by the murder rate in the US, which is a solid 0 because of the death penalty.

There's two factors to deterrence:
1. Likelihood of getting caught
2. Severity of the punishment

Death penalty is pretty much thee most severe punishment you can have (without going into cruel and unusual territory at least), but if you figure you're going to get away with your crimes anyway it doesn't matter. But if you have a near-certainty of getting caught, then even a relatively mild sentence like three years of jail or a big fine can be enough. So basically do the teleport+mindread thing, but only do it for crime suspects. That'll reduce your workload by a lot and you could theoretically keep up with it if you limit yourself to a small state/country instead of trying to cover the entire world.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

People do poo poo regardless of the punishments for a lot of reasons. If there's even a chance that you might not get caught, a lot of people will do it because the human mind is exceptionally bad at understanding, weighing, and processing statistics. And given the fact that it would take our intrepid trio loving 1000 years to hit everyone on earth, there's a pretty loving high chance that you can do whatever the hell you want and not get caught, or get caught decades later which is basically the same thing to an impulsive, young person. Even if he limits himself to criminal suspects, which just opens up an enormous goddamn can of worms in of itself.

tl;dr: Your idea is bad, and you should feel bad.:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well, you just need to increase his powers to the point where he can just read everyone's thoughts at once. Also kill them with thoughts for convenience.

• Locked thread