Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

GigaPeon posted:

Wait, didn't Fury "die" before Hydra started being open? How'd he give the order to blow up the carrier?

Probably with a vhs cassette labeled "play in case of death"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

It feels like Fury left an overabundance of dead man's switches, which makes this whole thing basically another example of Fury being too, well, Fury for his own good. He probably can't order breakfast without a dead drop and a false flag operation.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

kaynorr posted:

It feels like Fury left an overabundance of dead man's switches, which makes this whole thing basically another example of Fury being too, well, Fury for his own good. He probably can't order breakfast without a dead drop and a false flag operation.

I like the idea that he always orders half a dozen steaks so that nobody knows if he's a rare or a medium-rare man.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I like the idea that he always orders half a dozen steaks so that nobody knows if he's a rare or a medium-rare man.

Of course, this is all to hide that he's really having bacon

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

To be fair, bacon wrapped filet is pretty yummy.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Am I the only one who is bothered by the whole Phil is Nicks choice reasoning? I mean I understand a preference for a successor in an organization, but does it really carry that much weight? I mean keep in mind Fury was subordinate to Pierce and the World Security Council. I mean if Shield under EJO is reconstituted under that authority, isn't that a more valid chain of command? I dunno I just feel like this might wind up being Talbot Part 2 and they'll merge eventually or some sort of Talbot like relationship.

I mean yes EJO Shield has done some slightly dickish things, but it doesn't strike me as evil or potentially invalid. I mean they go a long way with all the flashbacks to show they are good people and it's not just Crossbones type guys or mercs.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Why would you ruin a good filet with God's garbage meat?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

gfanikf posted:

Am I the only one who is bothered by the whole Phil is Nicks choice reasoning? I mean I understand a preference for a successor in an organization, but does it really carry that much weight? I mean keep in mind Fury was subordinate to Pierce and the World Security Council.

They were all dead and/or traitors. The only one that we are unsure of is the woman that Widow impersonated and Fury was right below them. Look at it like if the president is killed then there is a chain of command, and Fury was basically the only one left and he could appoint his successor.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

gfanikf posted:

Am I the only one who is bothered by the whole Phil is Nicks choice reasoning? I mean I understand a preference for a successor in an organization, but does it really carry that much weight? I mean keep in mind Fury was subordinate to Pierce and the World Security Council. I mean if Shield under EJO is reconstituted under that authority, isn't that a more valid chain of command? I dunno I just feel like this might wind up being Talbot Part 2 and they'll merge eventually or some sort of Talbot like relationship.

I mean yes EJO Shield has done some slightly dickish things, but it doesn't strike me as evil or potentially invalid. I mean they go a long way with all the flashbacks to show they are good people and it's not just Crossbones type guys or mercs.

Except they don't seem to be. Coulson's SHIELD is the one everyone in the world has been seeing while Gonzalez and his team have been floating aimlessly around the ocean doing, so far as we can tell, dick-all. I'd think the WSC would have said something by now if NuSHIELD was operating under their authority.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Fury was "dead" before them. Also EJO Shield has even less legitimacy than Coulson's Shield, at least the former head asked him to rebuild. They just decided on their own in the middle of the fight then did nothing for a while.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bobkatt013 posted:

They were all dead and/or traitors. The only one that we are unsure of is the woman that Widow impersonated and Fury was right below them. Look at it like if the president is killed then there is a chain of command, and Fury was basically the only one left and he could appoint his successor.

I don't know if I can agree with that. I mean the WSC is made up of countries and I'm sure they can appoint new members and didn't give up their governing vote even if their representive was killed. I just don't see SHIELD and/or the nation's who make it up would have no Continuity of Government protocols to Fury being the only thing there is. I mean it feels more like Fury establishing his own unapproved protocols.

Also they never found Powers Boothe's body!

Polaron posted:

Except they don't seem to be. Coulson's SHIELD is the one everyone in the world has been seeing while Gonzalez and his team have been floating aimlessly around the ocean doing, so far as we can tell, dick-all. I'd think the WSC would have said something by now if NuSHIELD was operating under their authority.

Well I said if meaning if it'd revealed they have a link to the continuity. I agree as of now they have no greater legitimacy then Phil.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Shield as a government agency is dead, Fury can do whatever he wants. Maybe the WSC is working on their own new spy organization, who knows. That's irrelevant to Coulson and what he is trying to do, which is fight Hydra.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Maria Hill should be pissed she wasn't Fury's first choice for director.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
"Hey, Phil! Glad to see you made it through that whole HYDRA thing. What a mess. Look, with Fury dead, and SHIELD personas-non-gratas pretty much everywhere in the world, the WSC is taking over operations for the time being, and they're having me run day-to-day. We're regrouping at (location). Can you make it, or do we need to pick you and your team up?" - A phone call that didn't happen several months ago.

Compare and contrast with three sleeper agents (including Hartley) hidden in Actual SHIELD, leading to a raid of their primary facility. Given that something like half of ReelShield's founding members were personally involved in infiltrating Actual SHIELD, it seems like monitoring Coulson was their primary function.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

OB_Juan posted:

Given that something like half of ReelShield's founding members were personally involved in infiltrating Actual SHIELD, it seems like monitoring Coulson stealing Fury's toys was their primary function.

Really, the only thing we've seen so far out of the "real" shield is that they want to get Fury's little black book of potentially dangerous people in the world (which might well include the Avengers), so they can go kill them. It wouldn't shock me if the thing in the carrier which Fury wanted destroyed was something that could potentially take out the Avengers.

It'll probably turn out to be the missing 5 obelisks.

Azhais fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 6, 2015

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Azhais posted:

It'll probably turn out to be the missing 5 obelisks.

That would be some kinda symmetry right there.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I think it's pretty obvious that the ship was carrying Fury's browser history.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I forgot about those missing ones. I guess one of them is probably related to this eyeless guy's pals? Did they just toss those in the script as an excuse to have inhumans everywhere without needing to explain where they're coming from?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Electromax posted:

I forgot about those missing ones. I guess one of them is probably related to this eyeless guy's pals? Did they just toss those in the script as an excuse to have inhumans everywhere without needing to explain where they're coming from?

Actually Gordon was confirmed as having one before the season break. He's shown using it to tell that the other was activated.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It was implied that whoever was on the other end of the phone call was seeing the same thing on another, wasn't it?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

gfanikf posted:

I mean if Shield under EJO is reconstituted under [WSC] authority, isn't that a more valid chain of command? I dunno I just feel like this might wind up being Talbot Part 2 and they'll merge eventually or some sort of Talbot like relationship.

Are they serving under that banner? I missed that line, if so.

It's definitely true that Real Big SHIELD doesn't approve of Fury's methods and wants to change its persona. But I think Fury being alive and hand-picking Coulson is still relevant, because SHIELD is a military structure.

Believing that Fury's dead and disagreeing with his methods philosophically is still quite different than traitorously seizing power from his still-intact power structure. Right now, they probably see Coulson as a separatist megalomaniac who decided to run SHIELD arbitrarily, so it's no big deal to oust him. But if he's the legitimate successor chosen by their CO, that makes them literal mutineers for denying him and they'd have to come to terms with that.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's a good question, for all we know the head is Powers Boothe. Nothing has been said about what the chain is for either group.

Part of the problem is the command structure and who actually runs it is a long standing question in the MCU.

Heck, it's one of the reasons the US military didn't participate in Avengers, because it wasn't clear who US troops would be taking orders from (the President via Fury or a supranational organization not subordinate to the legal chain of command). Truthfully I can't exactly blame them as it really isn't clear.

http://www.wired.com/2012/05/avengers-military/

That's where my issue with Fury naming his successor comes from (and I freely admit this is stupid nerd analysis of the nth degree) is that a military commander doesn't pick his successor personally. He may recommend or suggest, but he doesn't make the final choice and it's always subordinate to civilian control. I do get temporary emergency successor or appointment though.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 6, 2015

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Xealot posted:

Are they serving under that banner? I missed that line, if so.

I'm pretty sure we've not seen nor heard anything that would imply that, and as long as I didn't miss anything I know we haven't seen anything that would confirm it. The Council is gone, unless they're working with Stark/Hill. I would be really surprised if they had any ties with RealSHIELD, everything we've seen up to this point is the remaining for founders interacting with each other and no consultation with anyone else. If they were working with a still present Council, Gonzalez s should have mentioned that and used it to pressure Coulson into accepting them as the legitimate branch of SHIELD along with the rest of his spiel.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

gfanikf posted:

That's a good question, for all we know the head is Powers Boothe. Nothing has been said about what the chain is for either group.

Part of the problem is the command structure and who actually runs it is a long standing question in the MCU.

Heck, it's one of the reasons the US military didn't participate in Avengers, because it wasn't clear who US troops would be taking orders from (the President via Fury or a supranational organization not subordinate to the legal chain of command). Truthfully I can't exactly blame them as it really isn't clear.

http://www.wired.com/2012/05/avengers-military/

That's where my issue with Fury naming his successor comes from (and I freely admit this is stupid nerd analysis of the nth degree) is that a military commander doesn't pick his successor personally. He may recommend or suggest, but he doesn't make the final choice and it's always subordinate to civilian control. I do get temporary emergency successor or appointment though.

All Fury's deaths are probably internally classified as temporary, so maybe that's his loophole.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

gfanikf posted:

That's what I was thinking too; with a few obvious exceptions they've set up a bunch of real-SHIELD people to be good people doing things for good (but arguably flawed) reasons, meaning it wouldn't be too hard to reintegrate them into the main group.

I don't see how what they're doing was much different from Coulson and co shooting up the Guest House either.

Xealot posted:

But if he's the legitimate successor chosen by their CO, that makes them literal mutineers for denying him and they'd have to come to terms with that.
They came to terms with it on day zero. They only reason they exist as a group is because they disobeyed a direct order from Fury.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

PierreTheMime posted:

She specifically had multiple hairline fractures along with the bruising. I'm fine with hand-waving that her powers saved her, but considering how much control she has at this point she threw her arms up knowing she was about to have her arms fully broken or at the very least suffer extreme pain.

We don't really know that she doesn't have any big breaks or other injuries right now, we only know they weren't grossly displaced during her screen time prior to the departure with Gordon.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
It's almost like Real SHIELD is a naked power grab by Gonzales using a puppet board of directors and lip service to transparency as a cover!

Basically they tipped off they were Real Bad Guys when they fired at Skye with live ammo. Bobbi's already going to have a crisis of conscience, and when Coulson and Hunter launch whatever wacky buddy spy plan to break back in, she'll most likely waver and then join up. Fitz can probably guilt Mack into switching sides, too. I think Jemma'll stay with Real Live SHIELD though because of her recent PURGE ALL GIFTED NONE CAN SURVIVE gestapo bullshit :smith:

What's going to be hilarious is when we find out Gonzales is actually an operative of A.I.M. :tinfoil:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Come on you know A.I.M. is dead and buried after Iron Man 3. :smith:

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

gfanikf posted:

Come on you know A.I.M. is dead and buried after Iron Man 3. :smith:

Back when Fitz was still suffering severe brain issues, Mack had said something about the thoughts still being there, and he just needed to find the connections again. Almost the next scene there was some bit where Simmons mentioned Coulson using Raina's brain machine to find buried parts of his memories to Fitz, and Fitz gets that 'I'm thinking of a plan' face that tv characters do.

Some guy posted a great fan theory that Fitz would use some invention, maybe involving Raina's dream machine, to turn himself into MODOK and I will always support this terrible theory for no good reason.

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 7, 2015

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I would buy the shittest fan theory if it somehow got us M.O.D.O.K.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I'm still waiting for the show to give us Bob.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The fact that Bob and Deadpool are separated by studio contracts is the biggest tragedy in all of superhero movies. Bob: Agent of Hydra is my favorite Deadpool supporting cast member.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

At least we got Kaminsky: Over-Enthusiastic Hydra Goon.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Bruceski posted:

At least we got Kaminsky: Over-Enthusiastic Hydra Goon.

Bob isn't that enthusiastic. He only joined Hydra because his wife was hounding him to find a job and they had a nice dental plan.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

gfanikf posted:

I would buy the shittest fan theory if it somehow got us M.O.D.O.K.

The CW has Grodd on TV, where's my MODOK Marvel? :argh:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Deadpool posted:

Bob isn't that enthusiastic. He only joined Hydra because his wife was hounding him to find a job and they had a nice dental plan.

Hydra had a Dental plan? Hmmm that's better than I expected.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Lose one tooth and two more shall take its place.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Lose one tooth and two more shall take its place.

That would get really uncomfortable really fast.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

It'd be perfect for Rob Liefeld to draw though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Isn't there actually a woman who works for Hydra for health insurance? Val Cooper I think?

• Locked thread