Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

paco650 posted:

I always wonder whether people who claim to be Team Stannis are really dumb or just loving with me.

I like Stannis and think he's a really interesting character with some quite noble characteristics but his fanbase on a few sites like Reddit is ridiculous. Admittedly he's probably the best king right now but only because all the others died so that isn't saying much. At first they started pointing out that Stannis isn't how other people describe him as he's actually funny and does bend under pressure which is correct. But then the second opinion effect took hold and suddenly he's the most moral character in the series and the one true king of Westeros. In their minds he's not a complete hypocrite, doesn't needly complicate other people's lives, burning people alive is just another form of execution and murdering his brother with black magic was not only justifiable but his only moral option.

It's easy to see why a cold, 'logical', socially stunted character who has difficulty dealing with his emotions and has a gigantic entitlement/persecution complex would be popular but some of the fans are more devoted than Davos. They're the real life equivalent of the king's men or those guys who worship him as Azor Ahai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
All valid points but did you give pause to consider that Stannis might in fact be the mannis?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

In It For The Tank posted:

One realm, one god, one king.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Stannis just wants to be a good person, man. But this world is just keeping him down and making him hard.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

mr.capps posted:

Stannis just wants to be a good person, man. But this world is just keeping him down and making him hard.

This world, and Melisandre.

:pervert:

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Stannis is the best sorry you guys don't see it.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Steve2911 posted:

The people who have been watching this show for four years but still can't name all the Starks are incredible to me.

How many generations do you have to go back though? And are we including Karstarks in the family?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

How many generations do you have to go back though? And are we including Karstarks in the family?

Well if you can't even name Bran the Builder's offspring what are you doing near this story? :colbert:

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I wish they have gotten Lucius Vorenus to play Stannis. It would be easier to me to root for him.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Friendly Factory posted:

I don't nerd out very often, because whatever, enjoy whatever you want. But when people think Dany's name is Khaleesi it triggers me. It triggers me hard.

Well that's why I think this blog is the product of a pro-Stannis, anti-David and Dan jokester, because it's too perfect. The more recent posts even compare Stannis to Hitler.

Ague Proof posted:

I like Stannis and think he's a really interesting character with some quite noble characteristics but his fanbase on a few sites like Reddit is ridiculous. Admittedly he's probably the best king right now but only because all the others died so that isn't saying much. At first they started pointing out that Stannis isn't how other people describe him as he's actually funny and does bend under pressure which is correct. But then the second opinion effect took hold and suddenly he's the most moral character in the series and the one true king of Westeros. In their minds he's not a complete hypocrite, doesn't needly complicate other people's lives, burning people alive is just another form of execution and murdering his brother with black magic was not only justifiable but his only moral option.

It's easy to see why a cold, 'logical', socially stunted character who has difficulty dealing with his emotions and has a gigantic entitlement/persecution complex would be popular but some of the fans are more devoted than Davos. They're the real life equivalent of the king's men or those guys who worship him as Azor Ahai.

This is pretty on-point, but I do think Stannis is meant to be developing into someone who'd be a good king. But taking the strides he's made and retroactively using them to justify all the poo poo he did previously doesn't seem to be GRRM's intention with Stannis' story.

Beeez fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Apr 6, 2015

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Barristan dies in episode 5.

Hmm? Is this an actor's schedule thing?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

:quagmire:

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

Hmm? Is this an actor's schedule thing?

No. It's a "we have seen clips/photos of him before/during this episode, but none after" thing. Same as Bronn.

Font's too small, but I want to read that Iron Giant headline. :(

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I love moral ambiguity in stories, and Book Stannis is a great source of it but I guess he's too nuanced and complex for TV so Show Stannis is basically Skeletor.

The show actually made Robert and Cersei more morally ambiguous (in different respective directions), and fumbled Jaime a little but kept him mostly intact, so I dunno why they didn't even try to do the same thing with Stannis :shrug:

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
People who think D&D made Stannis more evil are seriously wrong. They said Stannis would be really poo poo at being king and yes he would be, they never called him a evil man. D&D have actually made him seem more sympathetic in the show when he visits and actually gives a poo poo about his wife and daughter, in the books all he does is disrespect his wife and mentions his daughter once or twice, he also never has the balls to admit to his wife he cheated on her and shamed her while in the show he feels horrible about it.

Oh, he also actually shows guilt for killing Renly when he realizes he lost the Blackwater, when has Book Stannis ever shown he even cares a tiny bit about killing his own brother with demonic magic? He also respected Ned in front of Jon and took his advice and it seems he won't just burn Mance alive just because " law" and gives him a chance to save his own life. I think Stannis fans are demonizing D&D for really stupid reasons.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The only thing I really did not like about show Stannis was the time he ordered Davos to be killed and only Melisandre convinced him otherwise. That's basically the polar opposite of his book character.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

BillBear posted:

Oh, he also actually shows guilt for killing Renly when he realizes he lost the Blackwater, when has Book Stannis ever shown he even cares a tiny bit about killing his own brother with demonic magic?

"I will go to my grave thinking of my brother's peach".

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
Yeah there's no denying the hosed up the Stannis-Davos relationship in the S3 finale but it looks like they get to hang out together at castle black, which doesn't happen in the books.

Ague Proof posted:

"I will go to my grave thinking of my brother's peach".

That quote, how the gently caress could I forget such a great moment? Guess I was wrong about Book Stannis on the Renly part.

There's also this,

quote:

“Renly and his peach. In my dreams I see the juice running from his mouth, the blood from his throat. If he had done his duty by his brother, we would have smashed Lord Tywin. A victory even Robert could be proud of."
:smith:

BillBear fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 6, 2015

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

D&Ds worst crime was the spooky evil music when Stannis' army arrived out of he mist at Castle Black

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

TOOT BOOT posted:

Linda & Elio are nuts if they think that chapter qualifies as being contoversial.

Finally got around to reading it, and I agree. It was a great chapter, but as far as GRRM's writing goes it was more like a particularly tame episode of Downton Abbey.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Mae posted:

D&Ds worst crime was the spooky evil music when Stannis' army arrived out of he mist at Castle Black

What about the song they play right after Jaime loses his hand?

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

rydiafan posted:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

BillBear posted:

Heh. The most popular :files: .mp4 of that episode had the audio mistimed at the end of the episode, so the ska music kicked in right before the knife swung. I thought it was supposed to be a musical scene.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

Also that song owned

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

rydiafan posted:

No. It's a "we have seen clips/photos of him before/during this episode, but none after" thing. Same as Bronn.

In case the pic someone gave is still blurry: "How Vin Diesel's tin titan won your heart".

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Mae posted:

Also that song owned

The song owns, they should of played it after the Brienne vs Bear fight though.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

BillBear posted:

It was incredible.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I remember thinking Stannis was a suitably ambiguous character back in season 2, before reading the books. It's the way Melisandre and Davos are introduced as the devil and angel on his shoulders respectively that signals to the audience that Stannis is walking the line between the just king Davos thinks he could be and the prophetic, whatever-it-takes savior Melisandre wants him to be.

The Blackwater was Tyrion's chance to be the hero, but Stannis wasn't really the villain. His bits like "Hundreds will die!" "Thousands." Come off as cool, not evil, and even the ominous music as Stannis comes out of the fog in the North is more a reminder that while Stannis is saving the Watch's rear end this isn't the Ride of the Rohirrim. It's duty, not nobility. Even stuff like him angrily ordering Davos be executed comes off like more of a heat-of-the-moment thing he may not have followed through on.

I'm looking forward to seeing how things play out this season and next with Stannis in the North, since in the books he quickly becomes easy to root for since he's up against the goddamn Boltons and the Northerners all basically prefer him. If the show really is throwing Sansa and Littlefinger into the mix, however, the matchup becomes more ambiguous - will they be allies of Stannis? Will they try to supplant the Boltons but still serve the Lannister king? Will Sansa and Littlefinger try and unite the Vale, North and Riverlands as independent again? There's no way I can see for Littlefinger or Sansa to get the Iron Throne, so I have to assume they're looking to support a king or take half the realm independent.

If Stannis sits at Castle Black all season while the wedding arc is about Sansa and the Vale couping the Boltons at Winterfell poo poo's gonna be all crazy.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 6, 2015

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

WOTW posted their impressions of the first four episodes: http://watchersonthewall.com/game-of-thrones-returns-in-season-5-with-magic-and-intrigue/

Some excerpts:

quote:

I’ll tell you this upfront: the season premiere as a whole isn’t as strong as last season’s first outing. “The Wars to Come” is all about setting up the season, and it does that very well. It’s more reminiscent of the second and third season premieres in that respect, but the pacing is on the slow side. It’s contemplative, giving the characters and the viewers breathing room to take in the new stories that bloom over the next few episodes.

quote:

In Meereen, Daenerys is learning that the effects of slavery don’t disappear when the shackles are broken. Chaos in the city is growing, pushing Dany to once again have to make hard choices that test her wisdom as a queen. Her growing pains extend to the mothering of her dragons, as well, with the creatures in their rebellious adolescence. The Meereen storyline is hopping this year, with a climax in the fourth episode “The Sons of the Harpy” that’ll leave you screaming at the TV and begging for next week’s episode.

quote:

The Wall is home to new dynamics this year, with the influx of Team Dragonstone. The shakeup is welcome, treating us to dialogue between the likes of Shireen and Gilly, and Jon and Melisandre. The Night’s Watch storyline is a mixed bag, in my opinion; while there are some great scenes, what should be a major moment in the second episode feels rushed and not that exciting.

quote:

ASOIAF fans may experience a little whiplash with this new version of Ellaria Sand. Indira Varma is wonderful and I love seeing her on fire and spitting out dialogue, but this character has little to do with Ellaria or Arianne from the novels for that matter, so adjust your expectations. Show-only viewers won’t have an issue with this, of course.

quote:

The threads of Game of Thrones come together more neatly and pick up the pace after the season premiere. Momentum is gained as the players plot and the bodies start falling. In forging their own path beyond the books, Benioff and Weiss are finding ways to surprise their cynical audience and like seasons past, viewers are going to thank them for every shock and twist of the knife.
Reading between the lines a bit, it looks like we shouldn't expect much from eps 1 and 2.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I am going to be SO pissed if they gently caress up Arianne Martell.

Said no one ever.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
They BETTER keep the subplot where she dresses provocatively to bother her dad. My immersion!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I thought Arianne was out, and Ellaria is taking over the role of the princess-y character scheming to strike back at the Lannisters through Myrcella? I don't remember Ellaria doing much in the books after the Viper dies, so having her take over Arianne's role instead of introducing a new character makes sense.

Also they're really signalling hard that Barristan and/or Grey Worm die in episode 4/5. Talking about unexpected deaths of book characters, hinting at a big twist around the end of episode 4, the notable absences in preview stuff...

It's quite a gulf in his show/book appearances if Barristan goes down like a scrub to establish the Harpies. In the books he's practically running the show in Dany's absence and is basically her #2. I wonder if he'll end up dying in the books shortly after the battle of Mereen, or if he's supposed to follow Dany back to Westeros? I'd been hoping he'd have the chance to fight someone else's Kingsguard and cut through them like carving a cake.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I think the showrunners have been more forward about cutting Arianne than the other cut characters. Basically, they already had Indira Varma cast as Ellaria, they didn't want to push her into the background, so they cut Arianne in order to give Varma more to do.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Irish Joe posted:

I am going to be SO pissed if they gently caress up Arianne Martell.

Said no one ever.

A few years ago people were complaining about how the Greyjoys suck, the Sandsnakes are cheesy, Areo Hotah is a non-character and the Aegon reveal is cheap and comes out of nowhere.

Now how dare they not include the Greyjoys, make the Sandsnakes cheesy, turn Areo black and not even have Aegon and his extremely interesting boat story. Surprised there haven't been complaints about cutting Quentyn.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I have no idea who 90% of these names are and I thank god that because of the show I'll never need to.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Lycus posted:

I think the showrunners have been more forward about cutting Arianne than the other cut characters. Basically, they already had Indira Varma cast as Ellaria, they didn't want to push her into the background, so they cut Arianne in order to give Varma more to do.

It also sets up a nice parallel for when they introduce lady stoneheart - two dead men, two vengeful lovers. Fire and....more fire. Unless Ellaria becomes a wight, then each is fire AND ice

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Ague Proof posted:

A few years ago people were complaining about how the Greyjoys suck

No, the "nuncle" poo poo sucked But a bunch of vikings dabbling in dark magic, Victarion's quest to cuck his brother, and the Iron Islands raiding High Garden? That poo poo is awesome.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
So is the underwhelming scene at the Wall in episode 2 the block fetching or Stannis offering to legitimise Jon?

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Probably the election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeez
May 28, 2012
The Greyjoy stuff is mostly awesome and the Aegon plotline has the potential to be interesting and cool and I've always felt that way. Besides, most people who post in this thread seem to love D&D changing poo poo because they think of it as proof that their hate boner for post-ASOS GRRM is shared by the show writers, even though every season they hate almost every change the show makes.

Ague Proof posted:

So is the underwhelming scene at the Wall in episode 2 the block fetching or Stannis offering to legitimise Jon?

I'm guessing the latter.

• Locked thread