Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The Kins posted:

Ed Fries (former Xbox exec, developer of Halo 2600, etc.) wrote a fairly lengthy blog post about getting an original yellow Computer Space arcade machine working again. It involves mucking around inside of a tube TV from the 60s for starters, so I immediately thought of you guys... for... some reason.

And if you like seeing more of what it takes to fix really old CRTs and radios there's youtube channels like this about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFigw9ANLqM

That particular video is about a TV from before they'd gotten the hang of rmeote controls, so to allow you to change channels without leaving the couch, the tuner and cotnrols were built into an endtable that you placed next to the couch, and it ran the high voltage CRT signal through a honking cable to the actual picture tube and stand you could place across the room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The Kins posted:

Ed Fries (former Xbox exec, developer of Halo 2600, etc.) wrote a fairly lengthy blog post about getting an original yellow Computer Space arcade machine working again. It involves mucking around inside of a tube TV from the 60s for starters, so I immediately thought of you guys... for... some reason.

That's a great article and it has inspired me to try and figure out what is wrong with a couple stereos I have had sitting here for a few months. Everyone should read this; it explains very simply how he found the problems with the machine and fixed all of them. Circuit diagrams suddenly seem less scary.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Warning, incoming :smug:!

I had to drive around a hundred miles or so today getting lost in the strange non-euclidean backways and shrouded hills on today. Since I was so far from home I decided to stop in at a shop where I've gotten bargains on occasion but rarely get a chance to go to. And because the god of retrogames smiles on the impure of heart, I got lucky. Really lucky.

Snake Rattle and Roll and Cabal in box along with a copy of one of my old favorites that no one else seems to like, Iron Tank. The best thing was the price: five dollars each. That's right, two boxed NES games at five dollars a piece.

Of course, I already have Snake Rattle and Roll so I just paid $5 for a beat up box... :retrogames:

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Did you guys know external comb filters were a thing? It makes sense in hindsight but it never occurred to me. Someone on reddit posted these results using a $23 Kramer Model FC-10D. Composite video goes in one end, the filter breaks it out into Y/C, and outputs via an s-video cable. Naturally, I doubt it's as good as straight up s-video but it sure looks like an improvement. This seems like a good plan B for people who don't want to fuss with RGB modding consoles like the NES.

(Source)

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 6, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
They were especially popular for Laserdisc players, back in the day.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

G-Prime posted:

I guess what I'm saying is let's all just enjoy ourselves.

Word.

Speaking of literal hundos, I know we've discussed Beatmania ITT before since it's on PS2 [and versions older than IIDX are PS1], so here's what I recently spent literally many hundos on:

DJ Dao Platinum Edition. Just so much better than the USKOC/JKOCs I have [the pack in bundle controllers]. I'm not even very good at IIDX [can clear a bunch of easier normal 6s now] but this makes playing so much nicer. I've drooled over one since I first learned about Dao's stuff, and finally pulled the trigger.

Worth every penny. Now to fix up my Pop'n controller to have LEDs [or just buy a new Pop'n controller...]

Dat button click.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

McCracAttack posted:

Did you guys know external comb filters were a thing? It makes sense in hindsight but it never occurred to me. Someone on reddit posted these results using a $23 Kramer Model FC-10D. Composite video goes in one end, the filter breaks it out into Y/C, and outputs via an s-video cable. Naturally, I doubt it's as good as straight up s-video but it sure looks like an improvement. This seems like a good plan B for people who don't want to fuss with RGB modding consoles like the NES.

(Source)

Yes, in fact I own a Kramer FC-10D, looked alright. Probably sitting in a box somewhere now in my closet.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The Kins posted:

Great article, with a heartwarming ending. :3: Still, glad I'm a programmer and not an electrical engineer.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

liquid courage posted:

i want a batman game to add to my snes collection... is the adventures of batman and robin the best of the bunch? on a related note, are there any games you guys would recommend i add to my collection? here's what i've got so far...

It's decent. Sort of a beat 'em up platformer hybrid. Neat bosses and real faithful to the show but doesn't hold a candle to the Genesis version.

Anyways, I don't see Tiny Toons or U.N. Squadron on your list. Nor Aladdin or Goof Troop or Super Double Dragon. You've got SMASH TV but no Total Carnage? You also need Ninja Warriors, Run Sabre, and maybe burn a poo poo ton of money on Hagane.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

al-azad posted:

It's decent. Sort of a beat 'em up platformer hybrid. Neat bosses and real faithful to the show but doesn't hold a candle to the Genesis version.

Anyways, I don't see Tiny Toons or U.N. Squadron on your list. Nor Aladdin or Goof Troop or Super Double Dragon. You've got SMASH TV but no Total Carnage? You also need Ninja Warriors, Run Sabre, and maybe burn a poo poo ton of money on Hagane.

He has Hagane.

Time to move on to (more) Super Famicom games. Get the Parodius trilogy, Pop'n TwinBee, Rainbow Bell Adventure, Gundam Wing Endless Duel, Gourmet Sentai Bara Yarou, and Rendering Ranger R2.

Discount Viscount fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 6, 2015

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Rendering Ranger R2 is good, but not $300+ to make sure you're getting a legitimate cart good.

Even YJP auctions for it are brutal, I was just going by the lowest price cart (not from Brazil) on US eBay. Incomplete on YJP is at least $350-400USD.

http://auctions.search.yahoo.co.jp/...%BCR2&x=20&y=28

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 6, 2015

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Macross Scrambled Valkyrie is the best shooter on SNES/SFC fyi

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Cliff Racer posted:

I found a boxed copy of Sparkster coming up at auction tomorrow. Will I win, will I win? Stay tuned to find out! This is an IRL auction too so none of you can bid!

edit: Also Gradius III, DKC 1 and 3, etc but I already have the Kong games so those will be more of a send it on thing or just me eating the cost of them.

Answer: no.

I using ebay sold listings I priced the whole lot's value out to 235 dollars plus whatever the blurry games were. Getting there I saw that the only other game of note was Mario World-not exactly expensive but that the boxed games were CIB which would up my price calculations somewhat. I was debating my limit price, 130, 160 etc. Turns out that it was 190 dollars, other guy got it for 200. Which, for those of you following at home, is way more than a reseller should be paying for this stuff. Ahh well gently caress that guy and I'm glad I bid him up a hundred or so bucks.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

flyboi posted:

http://www.ezflash.cn/ez-flash-iv-microsd/

Not sure about a reputable seller these days but this plays pretty much everything and takes micro SDHC and was launched a few months ago.

Edit: Looks like gbatemp's sponsor has them for sale and is pretty reliable https://nds-card.com

My order with these guys arrived in 10 days, pretty quickly for coming from China. It's pretty much the same as the old EZ-IV but SDHC works fine. I had to re-flash it because it was acting weird out of the box.

They replaced the default Darth Vader theme with... a Finding Nemo theme! :v:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Some dude's doing a Rendering Ranger repro soon (or it's already done, I don't pay attention) using the unreleased English prototype, Targa.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
The only repro I want is SS5S because seriously gently caress paying money for that.

Ok but seriously I own one but only because I got a good deal.

But still, I wan't other people to play it for less than a grand.

Speaking of that, what's the going price for Voga's these days? I have like three and I might want to offload one because once I wire up my new cab I'm not going to need multiple superguns.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

The other day my mind was blown to discover people are paying $800 for this game, cart only. I think I paid $25 for it at Gamestop back when they sold used SNES games. It's a very dope game and one of my favorites for the SNES but drat

e: on the same note I'm really pissed I never got Aerofighters back when it was going for "only" $100. It's one of my favorite SNES shooters and it bums me out that it's ending up on the shelves of people who pay $500 for SNES games

d0s fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Apr 7, 2015

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
I just got my Dolphinbar in the mail today, and it beats the hell out of any other method of using Wiimotes on a PC. I like that the game controller mode switches between operating horizontally as just a D-pad controller and vertically with pointer and thumbstick as dual analog controls based on whether you have the nunchuk plugged in or not, and it switches those on the fly when you plug/unplug without changing what the system sees it as.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

d0s posted:

The other day my mind was blown to discover people are paying $800 for this game, cart only. I think I paid $25 for it at Gamestop back when they sold used SNES games. It's a very dope game and one of my favorites for the SNES but drat

e: on the same note I'm really pissed I never got Aerofighters back when it was going for "only" $100. It's one of my favorite SNES shooters and it bums me out that it's ending up on the shelves of people who pay $500 for SNES games

I paid even less than that importing a SFC copy. It has this weird urban myth that it was a Blockbuster exclusive that people love to reiterate but no one can provide like any proof that it's the case.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

univbee posted:

Not the most amazing deal but still seems decently cheaper than the normal going price if this is a thing you want: Newegg appears to be firesaling a bunch of refurbished CECHA PS3's; this was something they carried for a while but they're especially cheap now, at $160 US each, or $185 CAD+tx for Canadian shoppers going through their eBay store. The CECHA was the launch 60 gig unit, and featured a bunch of things that weren't present in the 20 gig CECHB released at the same time, and later models which had various options stripped out to lower manufacturing costs due to the embarrassing $499-$599 launch price. As a heavy, loud, power-hungry monstrosity, the CECHA has memory card readers for CompactFlash, SD cards as well as Memory Stick formats, support for Super Audio CD's, and most importantly, essentially full support for PS2 games. There's an entire PS2 in the thing, including the emotion engine, and there's no real emulation happening, and you get the benefit of official wireless controller capability and HDMI output, plus storing your save games on virtual memory cards. That said, the PS2 features are subject to the same restrictions as a retail PS2, which is to say region locking, inability to play burned games and the like. Not sure if a custom firmware would work around this for PS2 software, although it sounds like these units ship updated far enough that softmodding isn't possible without dismantling the PS3 and flashing the unit internally.

Will they ship overseas or will I need a freight forwarder?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Speaking of repros, a company called Piko Interactive is officially (?) localising the Taiwanese MD brawler Shui Hu Feng Yun Zhuan, as "Water Margin - The Tales of Clouds and Winds":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp4-MfSpB2E

It's a decent brawler that's very obviously "inspired" by Knights of the Round. Piko Interactive is removing some of the more blatant stolen assets for their release.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Speaking of repros, a company called Piko Interactive is officially (?) localising the Taiwanese MD brawler Shui Hu Feng Yun Zhuan, as "Water Margin - The Tales of Clouds and Winds":

They should have just called it Suikoden so they could confuse and anger a lot people. :v:

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

McCracAttack posted:

Did you guys know external comb filters were a thing?

Had no idea. That's an amazing improvement.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

They should have just called it Suikoden so they could confuse and anger a lot people. :v:

Suikoden: Romance of the Three Kingdoms

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

Discount Viscount posted:

i have un squadron, i just forgot to add it to the list. already got super double dragon and hagane but i'll check out the rest of those. maybe i should also grab that mario puzzle game that game freak made... it was one of the only sfc mouse games. i should grab that and mario paint for the hell of it.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Ordered a copy of Turtles IV: Turtles in Time which came in the mail today. I used to rent that game all the time as a kid from Blockbuster but never owned it. Man, that game is still a blast to play.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

al-azad posted:

Suikoden: Romance of the Three Kingdoms

You can't use that title. It's not based on Romance of the Three Kingdoms, it's based on the novel that the Japanese call Suikoden. Now, they could have gone with Suikoden: Bandit Kings of Ancient China, but Bandit Kings isn't really any of the translation titles. They could actually use Suikoden, though.

I really should get around to reading it. Once I've read it then I only have Dream of the Red Chamber to complete the Four Great Novels of Chinese literature. Of course, I've heard that Red Chamber is a really dry read compared to the other three. I keep seeing a copy of the Outlaws of the Marsh translation at my local used book store, I might pick it up next time I go in...

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

All Frogs posted:

Ordered a copy of Turtles IV: Turtles in Time which came in the mail today. I used to rent that game all the time as a kid from Blockbuster but never owned it. Man, that game is still a blast to play.

My toe! My toe!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

AHHHH SHELL SHOCKED

All Frogs posted:

Speaking of, Turtles in Time is one of the earlier SNES games with a really good soundtrack. When people were struggling to figure out how to write really good music for the console this game came out and just blew my mind. Every single track is thematically similar (poppy butt rock) but the compositions are really complex and there's a wide variety of instruments happening.

Random Stranger posted:

You can't use that title. It's not based on Romance of the Three Kingdoms, it's based on the novel that the Japanese call Suikoden. Now, they could have gone with Suikoden: Bandit Kings of Ancient China, but Bandit Kings isn't really any of the translation titles. They could actually use Suikoden, though.

I really should get around to reading it. Once I've read it then I only have Dream of the Red Chamber to complete the Four Great Novels of Chinese literature. Of course, I've heard that Red Chamber is a really dry read compared to the other three. I keep seeing a copy of the Outlaws of the Marsh translation at my local used book store, I might pick it up next time I go in...

There's so much historical confusion over who wrote Water Margin, including the writer of Romance, that I'm surprised there hasn't been a media crossover at some point. Outlaws of the Marsh: Romance of Three Kingdoms - Journey to the West.

Get it done, Koei.

e: I really can't get over TMNT4's soundtrack. If you have a strong leitmotif you will win me over instantly (hello Earthbound and Deus Ex).

al-azad fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 7, 2015

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Cubey posted:

My toe! My toe!

Pizza time!

al-azad posted:

AHHHH SHELL SHOCKED

Speaking of, Turtles in Time is one of the earlier SNES games with a really good soundtrack. When people were struggling to figure out how to write really good music for the console this game came out and just blew my mind. Every single track is thematically similar (poppy butt rock) but the compositions are really complex and there's a wide variety of instruments happening.

e: I really can't get over TMNT4's soundtrack. If you have a strong leitmotif you will win me over instantly (hello Earthbound and Deus Ex).

Yeah, the music in the game is as good as everything else in it. It's really easy on the ears.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

d0s posted:

At least Sonic Wings Special is on PSN.

I would complain about missing certain games like Hagane when they were cheap but for almost every one of those I've missed out on I've lucked out on another. Gun Nac for like $7 several years ago before everything remotely uncommon shot up, Space Megaforce for $5, etc.

Do wish I'd paid more attention and raided Game Crazy a bit more, though. I remember seeing one of the Turrican games for SNES there for like 8 bucks and I try to convince myself it was the first one.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

al-azad posted:

While I agree that Turtles in Time had an awesome soundtrack, it's not like that was a rarity among early SNES games. In 1991 alone, you had ActRaiser, F-Zero, Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Super Castlevania 4, SimCity, Final Fantasy 2 and Super R-Type, all of which had excellent music.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Where do you get a Kramer FC-10D for 23 dollars?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

The_Frag_Man posted:

Where do you get a Kramer FC-10D for 23 dollars?

On eBay, is this a trick question? :confused:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

8-bit Miniboss posted:

On eBay, is this a trick question? :confused:

I had one as well. While it "helps" it definitely doesn't make the signal clear enough that a XRGB-Mini can do its magic. They're on eBay all the time and nobody buys them because most tvs have better comb filters now versus the device. When I tried using it my NES had some really nasty lines diagonally which you could see on neighboring pixels

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I paid even less than that importing a SFC copy. It has this weird urban myth that it was a Blockbuster exclusive that people love to reiterate but no one can provide like any proof that it's the case.

I know that Final Fight Guy was definitely a Blockbuster exclusive, but yeah I can't find any proof that Hagane was. One anecdotal thing is I have never seen a US manual for the game, the same way Final Fight Guy has no US manual, though I haven't exactly scoured the internet for it. From pictures of the box there's no mention of Blockbuster, compared to Final Fight Guy's box. Speaking of FFG, I'm not too into boxes but I would love to own that orange box to go with my bare FFG cart, I remember seeing it in Blockbuster back in the day and renting the game thinking it was some crazy new version of Final Fight only to be pretty disappointed when I got it home and realized what was going on.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Results are better with CRTs but here's what using the Kramer FC-10D looks like compared with composite on a Frameister. I took these pics long ago, pre-NESRGB of course: http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/120724

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

liquid courage posted:

i want a batman game to add to my snes collection... is the adventures of batman and robin the best of the bunch? on a related note, are there any games you guys would recommend i add to my collection? here's what i've got so far...

are there any glaring omissions here?

Get yourself Terranigma/Tenchi Souzou to complete the Soul Blazer trilogy. The Japanese version is much cheaper, if that helps.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cubey posted:

While I agree that Turtles in Time had an awesome soundtrack, it's not like that was a rarity among early SNES games. In 1991 alone, you had ActRaiser, F-Zero, Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Super Castlevania 4, SimCity, Final Fantasy 2 and Super R-Type, all of which had excellent music.

First year SNES games had this issue that's difficult for me to describe. There's like a "tinny" quality to them that I can't really put my finger on but they feel artificial in a way early video game music tends to be? They have really strong melodies but are also instrumentally simplistic and repetitive. It's representative of the composers not understanding the hardware yet. Like compare Final Fight to its sequel and the difference is night and day.

First year SNES games sounded like slightly more complex NES games. Which isn't a bad thing, there are a lot of great NES soundtracks, but TMNT4 was the first time I thought to myself "Wow, video game music is sounding like real music!" Then the Sega CD came out and the rest is history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Man I was just looking up some info on Hagane and a bunch of Nintendoage results turned up. Their "collector's corner" forum sure is... something :stare:

• Locked thread