Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Gonz posted:

Waterboard all scummy owners with flat beer.

Or...have a show that features well-run establishments and show what they're doing right. Reward them with flight to distillery/brewery to learn more about products. Give them new and improved signage / POS systems, new furniture, etc. Prizes for great staff who are competent and well-liked by customers.

Would that be so bad?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Holyshoot posted:

Shows like this one and kitchen nightmares makes me so glad I worked at a good restaurant. One that had been around for 20 years with the same owner and made everything fresh and cleaned the place every night and had a pos system. Common loving sense all these dip shits fail to realize and then wonder why their business sucks dick.

I have to wonder how many of these places are really as awful as they look anymore, since this show has fallen into the Kitchen Nightmares US trap of every episode being exactly the goddamn same and basically being a springboard for whatever bartender nobodies / Art Institutes graduate chefs Spike TV wants to promote this week with different mediocre window dressing.

Binary Logic posted:

Or...have a show that features well-run establishments and show what they're doing right. Reward them with flight to distillery/brewery to learn more about products. Give them new and improved signage / POS systems, new furniture, etc. Prizes for great staff who are competent and well-liked by customers.

Would that be so bad?!

Nobody watches reality / "reality" shows to see people doing well. And the ones that are, probably don't need to be educated by a TV host, seeing as they're doing well and all.

Hotel Impossible did do a spinoff miniseries though where he went around to different hotels to show off unique things they did and then gave like a whopping $500 or something to the person he considered the most helpful / hardworking or whatever.

raditts fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 5, 2015

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Binary Logic posted:

Would that be so bad?!

The Profit gets close to this in some respects.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
Kind of a bad feeling about this "Back to the Bar" thing.

So far, ZanZbar had excellent service, great tasting food, and the owner actually cut off his spy before he drank too much. But because they changed the name back from "Solids and Stripes," he says the jury's out.

Although I'm wondering if they're not just doing it to gloat about Piratz apparently about to finally close.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Binary Logic posted:

Would that be so bad?!

Reality shows without conflict are documentary.

We used to have multiple channels on cable that only showed documentary. Nowadays they show reality shows.

Makes you wonder.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

By the way, LA Brew Co., the most expensive rescue in the show's history, is already closed and up for sale two weeks after the episode aired.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
FOOD BLOGGERS.

Man don't mess with them or they'll use their social media presence to run you out of town.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

"To tell you the truth, we're actually food bloggers." :fuckoff:

Edit: THEY'LL BLAST IT ALL OVER SOCIAL MEDIA!

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 6, 2015

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

As a local, I can confirm Moonrunners is doing pretty well. I don't often drive by and see it obviously packed, but they do well on the weekends and have a draft night on Mondays, along with $5 burgers that are a hell of a deal. Don't know how smart a second location is (especially if it's in the area I think it is,) but it's a million times better than Characters.

I don't know why the Piratz people would agree to a follow up, other than the opportunity to blast Taffer again (and possibly some kind of monetary incentive.)

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I would think they did it just to put in a few shots at him, considering they just went "Yeah we only did this for a day and burned everything" and acted like it wasn't detrimental to their business.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Isn't Piratz closing? We could have had Piratz 2 as a rescue. :(

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Another Piratz episode?

At first you say no chance in hell, then you remember this is a TV show and Piratz is their most notorious episode. Of course they're going back.

Frankly, Piratz was a failure on the part of both parties. For obvious reasons by the crew, but Taffer really didn't make a strong enough effort to adhere to their strengths. He literally called the place "Corporate" and made them everything they were against. And this special where he pretends he doesn't know they turned right back, just makes him look bad.

I've said it before, but a more slick nautical theme, like a cruise ship (not literally, but the general motif,) probably would have been better for both the staff and the local customers (what worker wants to leave their job and then go to a bar with an office theme?)

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Looks like the owner is kind of realizing she squandered an opportunity, and what Taffer to come back.

So that's going to be the season finale.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I love how Taffer is feigning outrage at the rejection of his total poo poo rebranding. The redesign they did on the inside was nice though, and those jackasses turned it all back lovely looking.

I feel bad for their daughter though, she's been pulled into their failures.

CVagts posted:

FOOD BLOGGERS.

Man don't mess with them or they'll use their social media presence to run you out of town.

I don't think there has been a sentence that makes me want to punch someone in the face more than "I can't wait to get home and blog about this."

FrozenVent posted:

Looks like the owner is kind of realizing she squandered an opportunity, and what Taffer to come back.

So that's going to be the season finale.

She didn't want Taffer, she wanted Jon Bar Rescue.
Also, doubt that they went back since he clearly hated that place and it's dead and buried as of yesterday.

raditts fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 6, 2015

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Taffer looked really uncomfortable standing there talking. I did like the concept of taking an episode to go back and see how well the changes stuck.

He was roo hard on Zanzibar. They are obviously doing something right, even if the owner wasn't sticking EXACTLY to what Jon told him to do.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

OmegaBR posted:

I've said it before, but a more slick nautical theme, like a cruise ship (not literally, but the general motif,) probably would have been better for both the staff and the local customers (what worker wants to leave their job and then go to a bar with an office theme?)

I think the Corporate name could have totally worked, if it'd been done with a wink and the whole place was very subversive. Like yeah, we have this name Corporate and we look like a board room or whatever and we wear these uniforms (were they just shirt and ties) but the sleeves are rolled up and the ties just looped around the neck and buttons undone and just generally the opposite of the literal branding. I think the subversiveness and rebellion themes would have worked well for the existing staff.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I think Jon's idea was just to go the exact opposite of what they had, because everyone knew it as the bad pirate bar, so he had to have a theme completely different.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

bobjr posted:

I think Jon's idea was just to go the exact opposite of what they had, because everyone knew it as the bad pirate bar, so he had to have a theme completely different.

But he learned from Piratz turning the lame horror bar into the kinda cool zombie thing.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

OmegaBR posted:

Another Piratz episode?

At first you say no chance in hell, then you remember this is a TV show and Piratz is their most notorious episode. Of course they're going back.

Frankly, Piratz was a failure on the part of both parties. For obvious reasons by the crew, but Taffer really didn't make a strong enough effort to adhere to their strengths. He literally called the place "Corporate" and made them everything they were against. And this special where he pretends he doesn't know they turned right back, just makes him look bad.

This was my first time seeing the episode and this really rubbed me the wrong way too. I mean I get why Taffer did it, but at the same time he had people like that One Eyed Mike guy coming up and telling him point blank "Hey the reason I work here is because I literally cannot function in a normal job atmosphere," and he's just blowing them off.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Hazo posted:

This was my first time seeing the episode and this really rubbed me the wrong way too. I mean I get why Taffer did it, but at the same time he had people like that One Eyed Mike guy coming up and telling him point blank "Hey the reason I work here is because I literally cannot function in a normal job atmosphere," and he's just blowing them off.

Well he did give him a fair shot at trying to teach him proper service, compared to other times where he's just flat out said this person is bad and needs to be fired.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Is piratz the bar that a goon went to and told us all how bar rescue really is and that it wasn't that bad of a bar before taffer came in?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

bobjr posted:

Well he did give him a fair shot at trying to teach him proper service, compared to other times where he's just flat out said this person is bad and needs to be fired.
I'm not sure I even agree with that 100%. What they showed us was basically just that Jessie chick having him approach her and then when he asked what he needed to do she just sort of stammered out things like "Do it... like a normal person." I get that she's a professional service expert so she's probably used to dealing with a pretty high level of competence but she seemed to have absolutely no idea how to train someone from the ground up.

Holyshoot posted:

Is piratz the bar that a goon went to and told us all how bar rescue really is and that it wasn't that bad of a bar before taffer came in?
Wasn't that the college bar with the massive abv drinks and the broken support beam in the basement?

edit: Murphy's Law, dunno how I forgot the name since it's basically the most overused and unoriginal bar name ever

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Holyshoot posted:

Yup. Apparently those office buildings Taffer claims surrounds the bar aren't there, and the self serve stuff was illegal in that country. And a whole whack of crazy poo poo.

As to buddy "can't have a normal job", I think Taffer makes it pretty clear that bars are a business, not the friends and family employment program. If the business is faltering, it can't afford to keep a dysfunctional employee as a charity case.

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
I know you heard about me
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
I'm just tryin to live on
Not in a penitentiary
I'd rather be rollin chrome

FrozenVent posted:

Yup. Apparently those office buildings Taffer claims surrounds the bar aren't there, and the self serve stuff was illegal in that country. And a whole whack of crazy poo poo.

IIRC he also was one of pirate cosplayers and attended the burning of the remodel stuff and seemed to be very very angry about Taffer going after his ~great bar~

Make no mistake the remodel was awful and I don't doubt that Taffer did things quarter-assed but grains and salt and sll that

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

FrozenVent posted:

As to buddy "can't have a normal job", I think Taffer makes it pretty clear that bars are a business, not the friends and family employment program. If the business is faltering, it can't afford to keep a dysfunctional employee as a charity case.
Of course, but I was agreeing with OmegaBR when they said Taffer made no attempt to play to the bar's strengths. Turning the theming into a dry white-collar office environment when the bar staff is composed of "ren fair artists and pirate reenactors" seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Its because he or the producers wanted to go 100% opposite just for the added drama and it worked exactly how they wanted for the show.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Hazo posted:

Of course, but I was agreeing with OmegaBR when they said Taffer made no attempt to play to the bar's strengths. Turning the theming into a dry white-collar office environment when the bar staff is composed of "ren fair artists and pirate reenactors" seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

Ren faire artists and pirate reenactors do not a successful commercial enterprise make.

Waiters and bartenders and cooks do.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

At least that guy wasn't fired to "show how serious you are now" which he prob wouldve been had that other guy not walked out

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

limp_cheese posted:

Taffer looked really uncomfortable standing there talking.

Watching him awkwardly waggle his fingers and shout at a TV on a soundstage was my favorite thing about this episode. It really brought out the cranky, old man in him.

CrowsNestMutineer
Mar 9, 2009

* Juciano makes the best damned Caesar dressing I've ever tasted in my life.

Well, I'm back. Actually, I never left; I've been lurking in this thread for years. I had hoped that the day would come when Bar Rescue wouldn't be renewed for a new season, and I could piss on its grave while rejoicing in the survival of Piratz Tavern, but obviously that's never to be.

What you have to understand is that Piratz Tavern wasn't just another watering hole. It really was a second home for an amazingly diverse clientele. In addition to the expected assortment of reenactors and Ren Faire types, the regulars included military, bikers, professionals, clergy... just about everyone you could imagine. They've all lost something they cared about.

Did it have its flaws? Of course it did. In some ways it was mismanaged. In some ways it was very mismanaged. The interior layout was weird; it was long and narrow and hard to navigate when crowded. The location wasn't all that great, either; that block doesn't get a lot of non-local traffic, and there's a fancy pedestrian mall just a few blocks away that draws the tourists. Piratz Tavern could have been great there, although I'm sure the rents are astronomical. (And just to restate, yes, the much-lauded "office buildings" are literally parking garages.) But that's all old news.

I'm not even mad at Jon Taffer anymore. He's nothing but a lickspittle toady, doing the bidding of his parasitic masters at Spike: Renfield to their Dracula. He came in like a hurricane and wrecked the place, but Piratz Tavern rebuilt and came back even stronger than before. They could have put the whole debacle behind them if it hadn't been for Taffer's fans harassing the staff every time the episode aired, making prank phone calls, leaving phony online reviews, abusing the employees on social media, making literal death threats. If you want to see the dregs of humanity in action, go take a look at the Piratz Tavern and Bar Rescue Facebook pages.

As for me, I didn't spend quite as much time at Piratz Tavern as some did, rarely making it down there more than a few times a month, but it was directly responsible for my making some of the finest friends I've ever known, and it's spawned indelible memories, both for good and for bad. I was there for holidays, birthdays, graduations, baby showers and wakes. We'll carry on, as we pirates do, and maybe we'll find a new bar to call home, but there will never be another place quite like Piratz Tavern.

I'm not asking for your sympathy. All I ask is that you take a moment to appreciate the people and places you care about, because they won't be around forever. As the song says, "Let us drink and be merry, all grief to refrain / For this company might never all meet here again."

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

CrowsNestMutineer posted:

Well, I'm back. Actually, I never left; I've been lurking in this thread for years. I had hoped that the day would come when Bar Rescue wouldn't be renewed for a new season, and I could piss on its grave while rejoicing in the survival of Piratz Tavern, but obviously that's never to be.

What you have to understand is that Piratz Tavern wasn't just another watering hole. It really was a second home for an amazingly diverse clientele. In addition to the expected assortment of reenactors and Ren Faire types, the regulars included military, bikers, professionals, clergy... just about everyone you could imagine. They've all lost something they cared about.

Did it have its flaws? Of course it did. In some ways it was mismanaged. In some ways it was very mismanaged. The interior layout was weird; it was long and narrow and hard to navigate when crowded. The location wasn't all that great, either; that block doesn't get a lot of non-local traffic, and there's a fancy pedestrian mall just a few blocks away that draws the tourists. Piratz Tavern could have been great there, although I'm sure the rents are astronomical. (And just to restate, yes, the much-lauded "office buildings" are literally parking garages.) But that's all old news.

I'm not even mad at Jon Taffer anymore. He's nothing but a lickspittle toady, doing the bidding of his parasitic masters at Spike: Renfield to their Dracula. He came in like a hurricane and wrecked the place, but Piratz Tavern rebuilt and came back even stronger than before. They could have put the whole debacle behind them if it hadn't been for Taffer's fans harassing the staff every time the episode aired, making prank phone calls, leaving phony online reviews, abusing the employees on social media, making literal death threats. If you want to see the dregs of humanity in action, go take a look at the Piratz Tavern and Bar Rescue Facebook pages.

As for me, I didn't spend quite as much time at Piratz Tavern as some did, rarely making it down there more than a few times a month, but it was directly responsible for my making some of the finest friends I've ever known, and it's spawned indelible memories, both for good and for bad. I was there for holidays, birthdays, graduations, baby showers and wakes. We'll carry on, as we pirates do, and maybe we'll find a new bar to call home, but there will never be another place quite like Piratz Tavern.

I'm not asking for your sympathy. All I ask is that you take a moment to appreciate the people and places you care about, because they won't be around forever. As the song says, "Let us drink and be merry, all grief to refrain / For this company might never all meet here again."

:yikes:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I don't think having a bar that you visited a few times a month close is worth having any sympathy thrown your way.

-Find another dive bar.
-Go there once a week for like 6 weeks in a row.
-Tip well

Boom, now you're a semi-regular at a new bar. Go in dressed like a pirate and they won't care.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

Ok.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

You were awfully loving invested in a bar, duder.

CrowsNestMutineer
Mar 9, 2009

* Juciano makes the best damned Caesar dressing I've ever tasted in my life.

DStecks posted:

You were awfully loving invested in a bar, duder.

I hope that someday you find a bar worth becoming that invested in.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Nah I prefer drinking at home alone, it's cheaper.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

No bar you don't own is worth being emotionally invested in.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

I think most of us won't knock the fact that it was a favored watering hole for many people. But "this bar isn't a bar, it's your living room," is one of the number one reasons the bars on this show are failing.

And by hook or crook, Taffer and show aren't about keeping the spirit alive. He cares about making people money, or at least what he thinks will do it. And when they're nearly a million dollars in debt and stubbornly refusing to wake up from the dream until higher authorities force them to, well, that's what it is.

I don't know the owners personally obviously, but their portrayal on the show was one of utter mismanagement and apathy for anything that wasn't their idea, only bailed out and made better. And that's where the harsh feelings toward Piratz lies. For what it's worth, Tracy doesn't seem like a bad person, just someone who didn't want to wake up. And Mike is the star of that episode in my mind, being a genuine guy and doing his best with a situation he's clearly uncomfortable with.

That said, I think most of us will also agree that the Corporate theme was awful and was very questionable in terms of how much money it really would have made versus the pirate theme.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

You were invested in the community. That community was not able to run a bar, and honestly, had no business being in business.

If that community is as strong as you felt/feel then it will exist outside of the business as it should.

It was an awful idea for a bar and failed. Get over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

There's a pirate themed punk bar called The Mutiny in Chicago that's been around for like 20 years. Location, location, location I guess.

• Locked thread