Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

bows1 posted:

John Oliver continues to rule.
I'm watching it now. poo poo is hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Hbomberguy posted:

The issue is neither side really recognises it as political. One side sees it as a simple act of tolerance and inclusion mixed with some very basic feminist crit, while the other sees it as 'politics' suddenly being injected into their (previously apolitical) murder simulators, but then pick up oddly political books to justify their point of view...

SMG's writing is accurate here. One of the gamergate superstars, Sargon of Akkad, even makes his tagline 'the morons took over while you weren't paying attention', openly displaying this fantasy that The Bad People, despite being intensely stupid, have somehow 'taken over', in some abstract capacity. He then proves this by making videos about how some borderline neurotic person who is a woman and says vaguely feminist things somewhere in the world this week did something bad. It's ultimately the best proof you can get that people will just give money to those they think can magically fix the latest nonexistent conspiracy by the reptilian feminazi jews. Loose Change for web 2.0.

Also, skulls

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I really hope of all the things he's done this goes the most viral. This is much more important than Jeff and the Tobacco industry, and he has Snowden explain it in the absolute perfect way for people to hopefully latch on and fully understand what's going on.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

GonSmithe posted:

I really hope of all the things he's done this goes the most viral. This is much more important than Jeff and the Tobacco industry, and he has Snowden explain it in the absolute perfect way for people to hopefully latch on and fully understand what's going on.
"I guess I never thought about putting it in the context of your junk."

:golfclap:

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
citizenfour is hella scary

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
If/When I ever get around to doing another dickstream, I'm gonna play a little movie called MURDER BY PROXY. It's about the postal office workers who went nuts and shot their bosses. Apparently, when the coworkers of the first guy to do it were interviewed, they all basically said "Look not to speak ill of the dead, but gently caress those guys they had it coming, go murderman"

America

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Literally The Worst posted:

If/When I ever get around to doing another dickstream, I'm gonna play a little movie called MURDER BY PROXY. It's about the postal office workers who went nuts and shot their bosses. Apparently, when the coworkers of the first guy to do it were interviewed, they all basically said "Look not to speak ill of the dead, but gently caress those guys they had it coming, go murderman"

America

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlQGcOGFkCs

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Jack Gladney posted:

Nerds have always basically been fascists.

You've got it backwards. Fascists have basically always been nerds.

Like, the entirety of Mussolini's regime? It's one big Roman Empire cosplay.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You've got it backwards. Fascists have basically always been nerds.

Like, the entirety of Mussolini's regime? It's one big Roman Empire cosplay.

If you give a fascist a wedgie

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

LesterGroans posted:

Why is it that "gamers" want to be treated like any other artform/culture/whatever but totally buck against the idea of evolution or reinterpretation? Is this just a particularly vocal group, or a particularly stubborn one?

'Gamers' want to be a culture where they alone determine if you're one of them. Problem for Gamers, though, is that the mainstreaming of video games results in an ever-increasing amount of people who are playing video games, not knowing/caring what some early adopter thinks. The things that your stereotypical Gamer holds dear are things the newer generation doesn't know about, doesn't care, and the rest of the world sees them as Gamers, just like you.

To piss a Gamergater off, tell them you agree with Anita. To enrage a Gamergater, tell them you don't know what System Shock is, and express doubt that it could be better than Bioshock.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 6, 2015

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Literally The Worst posted:

If you give a fascist a wedgie

It's bullying.

If you give one million people wedgies, it's a statistic.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

'Gamers' want to be a culture where they alone determine if you're one of them. Problem for Gamers, though, is that the mainstreaming of video games results in an ever-increasing amount of people who are playing video games, not knowing/caring what some early adopter thinks.

To piss a Gamergater off, tell them you agree with Anita. To engage a Gamergater, tell them you don't know what System Shock is, and express doubt that it could be better than Bioshock.

It happened first with usenet nerds, who were thankfully exterminated:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_September

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MisterBibs posted:

'Gamers' want to be a culture where they alone determine if you're one of them. Problem for Gamers, though, is that the mainstreaming of video games results in an ever-increasing amount of people who are playing video games, not knowing/caring what some early adopter thinks. The things that your stereotypical Gamer holds dear are things the newer generation doesn't know about, doesn't care, and the rest of the world sees them as Gamers, just like you.

To piss a Gamergater off, tell them you agree with Anita. To enrage a Gamergater, tell them you don't know what System Shock is, and express doubt that it could be better than Bioshock.

Knowing what System Shock is doesn't make you a GamerGater dude.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Gamergaters love bioshock, and will extensively quote ayn rand to explain how it's not actually deconstructing libertarianism at all.

Very few gators have probably ever played System Shock, but that doesn't matter in the face of preserving some imagined prelapsarian canon of gaming.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I feel people tend to like to lump every thing they don't like about gamers and just assume that's something Gamergaters do.

That example would be semi-correct if you replaces the SS2/Bioshock with saying that "Gone home is a game". Not liking Gone Home doesn't make you a GG person but it does represent multiple things they hate.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Jack Gladney posted:

It happened first with usenet nerds, who were thankfully exterminated:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_September

I think that's incredibly apt, thank you for sharing, sincerely!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Knowing what System Shock is doesn't make you a GamerGater dude.

Oh I didn't mean to imply that, I was talking more about the stereotypical Gamer that would broadly be considered more likely to be a Gator or sympathetic to it.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 6, 2015

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

MisterBibs posted:

I'm pretty sure it's just that they defined themselves by their outsider/outcast status and whoops don't have that anymore, so now they're clinging to that false sense of superiority and kicking at anyone who doesn't fit with their idea of a Gamer.

Best way to enrage a gator is to just poop on them.

axleblaze posted:

I feel people tend to like to lump every thing they don't like about gamers and just assume that's something Gamergaters do.

That example would be semi-correct if you replaces the SS2/Bioshock with saying that "Gone home is a game". Not liking Gone Home doesn't make you a GG person but it does represent multiple things they hate.

Excuse me sir I think you will find it is both bad and not a game, no I won't elaborate on this, the king has spoken

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I thought people had agreed to just ignore this poo poo.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I really couldn't give a poo poo about any of the Gamergate stuff, but it does spawn some entertaining things. My personal favourite is this really long video this one guy made to debunk Anita Saarkesian's Masters thesis, and two minutes in he accuses her of plagiarism when he discovers that she paraphrases things that shes directly sourced. This idiot completely misunderstands the whole idea of referencing, and then triumphantly declares her to be a fraud. And he feels so clever about it too, its brilliant.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

morestuff posted:

I've got a friend who constantly bombards me with Gamergate stuff to rant about how much it upsets her. I'm sort of torn between "oh god I don't care, stop dignifying them with your attention" and trying to respect that she's a lot more directly affected than I am.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
The unsettling thing about this stuff is how well it maps onto the already existing bifurcated American political discourse. If somebody's a gamergater that's part of a whole package of political beliefs. There's a reason the big gamergate subreddit is always linking to breitbart.

Edit: Like, the argument can be made that there's a direct line between the general Republican disdain for "lazy welfare queens" and specific gamergate disdain for "lazy Gone Home players".

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

morestuff posted:

I legitimately thought this poo poo was over and done with and had just died out. I was apparently wrong. I can't believe this is still going on. :psyduck: loving internet.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Safety Factor posted:

I legitimately thought this poo poo was over and done with and had just died out. I was apparently wrong. I can't believe this is still going on. :psyduck: loving internet.

It'll probably keep on for as long as people just say 'they're idiots, ignore them' or 'not this topic again' whenever it comes up.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

y'all video game people are weird

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Most gamergaters would probably rape a woman given the chance, since they tie right into violent meninism.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

porfiria posted:

The unsettling thing about this stuff is how well it maps onto the already existing bifurcated American political discourse. Like, if somebody's a gamergater that's part of a whole package of political beliefs. There's a reason the big gamergate subreddit is always linking to breitbart.
Bam. Triple points!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Most gamergaters would probably rape a woman given the chance, since they tie right into violent meninism.

I agree with this fact.

Speaking of terrible gamers, I confronted a popular let's player for telling me to kill myself some time back when he tried to talk to me, and he immediately went quiet, letting his fans come to his defense.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Yeah sorry about that

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
ban all video games and force white male gamers into psychiatric care

edit: video games are literally dead and so are video gamers they are dead and there is nothing to do about it no more video games ever

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I like to play video games sometimes

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I like to play video games sometimes

please kill your self before you kill a real person

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I like video games. They are a fun way to pass the time.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

spaceships posted:

please kill your self before you kill a real person

:(

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I mean I ain't been organizing a boycott of the guy or nothing but you'd think he'd at least apologize when directly confronted.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
In Bloodborne you scroll through a list of personality options like "trouble childhood" and "military veteran" that determine your stats and gamers have that outlook on real life.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
i used to video game

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

morestuff posted:

hbomberguy post the videos

spaceships posted:

i used to video game

I'm watching The Shield right now IRL while I wait for WoW plus the new expansion to install. I had a really good night last night (115 bucks!) and I figured since I had to spend half of it on some boring rear end bullshit like an oil change I'd spend the other half on something fun.

Preemptive I thought you said it was WoW

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 6, 2015

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Oh my god why are we even talking about this?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Because a lot of people still think the clothes a woman wears determines the degree to which it's ok to force her to have sex with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I don't know, someone tried to talk about anime and now here we are.

• Locked thread