Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

And Spike Dudley was his Spanish teacher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Watching Bash at the Beach 1996, it is hilarious that Tenta vs Big Bubba gets a way better audience reaction than Rey vs Psicosis having an amazing match

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Ernest "the cat" Miller was cool. This is a true opinion.

I loved the thing he would do where he would turn around and give his opponent 5 seconds to leave, and then when he turned around he would get clobbered.
He was also funny as the WCW commissioner.

To reiterate: Ernest Miller is cool.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Thats the thing with miller like he wasn't the greatest in the ring but he was a memorable figure who did some fun stuff and basically had a lot of fun and wasn't super serious despite being a legit karate badass

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
As far as I know, Miller competed entirely in tournament karate. Semi-contact, foam-rubber safety gear, no contact to the face, and points awarded for kicks and punches that touch the front of sides of the torso and the back or sides of the head, whereupon the referee calls a break and awards a point. He's a legitimate athlete, but hardly a fighter. B-movie actors like Don Wilson and JCVD actually had full-contact experience.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

He, somehow, out of all the wrestlers in the world, was the Big Bad Heel wrestler in The Wrestler. Also Necro Butcher but at least his was a hardcore match so it kind of fit.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Admiral Joeslop posted:

He, somehow, out of all the wrestlers in the world, was the Big Bad Heel wrestler in The Wrestler. Also Necro Butcher but at least his was a hardcore match so it kind of fit.

Apparently the guy who wrote The Wrestler was a fan of Necro and pretty much wrote that part for him.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I've said this once or twice before but I think Ernest's heel persona could have made him a big territorial star back in the 70's and 80's. So it's not that weird, especially because Randy's character was supposed to have been a big star in the 80's, and they're rivals.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

The Croc posted:

a legit karate badass

hahah

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

BrigadierSensible posted:

Ernest "the cat" Miller was cool. This is a true opinion.

I loved the thing he would do where he would turn around and give his opponent 5 seconds to leave, and then when he turned around he would get clobbered.
He was also funny as the WCW commissioner.

To reiterate: Ernest Miller is cool.

This is how I felt until I rewatched 2000 Nitros and saw him stumbling through promo after promo. He was funny in brief skits but when he had to talk for more than a minute or two he was repetitive and awful.

Halloween Jack posted:

As far as I know, Miller competed entirely in tournament karate. Semi-contact, foam-rubber safety gear, no contact to the face, and points awarded for kicks and punches that touch the front of sides of the torso and the back or sides of the head, whereupon the referee calls a break and awards a point. He's a legitimate athlete, but hardly a fighter. B-movie actors like Don Wilson and JCVD actually had full-contact experience.

This didn't stop him from thinking he was a total bad rear end. He once talked poo poo to Don Frye about how he'd be able to whoop rear end in UFC until Frye challenged him to a fight and Miller backed down because he was an arrogant coward (and lovely wrestler.)

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

MassRafTer posted:

This is how I felt until I rewatched 2000 Nitros and saw him stumbling through promo after promo. He was funny in brief skits but when he had to talk for more than a minute or two he was repetitive and awful.

This didn't stop him from thinking he was a total bad rear end. He once talked poo poo to Don Frye about how he'd be able to whoop rear end in UFC until Frye challenged him to a fight and Miller backed down because he was an arrogant coward (and lovely wrestler.)

I think Don Frye's telling of this involved Miller talking about how there was nobody in MMA who did karate, so nobody in MMA would have any idea how to handle a karateka

"lol" sums my response and probably Frye's.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Ernest Miller's voice irritated me.

Welp bye.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

am i wrong or did WCW want Don Frye but settled on Tank Abbott because of Ernest Miller's shittalk

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

oatgan posted:

am i wrong or did WCW want Don Frye but settled on Tank Abbott because of Ernest Miller's shittalk

They were in talks with Frye a year or so before they signed Tank but it's possible they were in talks again (if Frye's NJPW contract came due) right before signing Tank.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Ernest Miller had that time where he beat up the assorted Armstrong jobbers, then got a mic and went "Somebody call my mama, I just whupped the whole Armstrong family. Where's Bullet Bob?"

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

LvK posted:

I think Don Frye's telling of this involved Miller talking about how there was nobody in MMA who did karate, so nobody in MMA would have any idea how to handle a karateka

"lol" sums my response and probably Frye's.

This was, in some sense, true for awhile when lyoto machida was giving people fits. Ernest miller was not lyoto machida in any way

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Well, he punched Buff Bagwell's lights out backstage.
Then again, so did The Hurricane.
And Steiner.
And probably Judy Bagwell.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Say Nothing posted:

Well, he punched Buff Bagwell's lights out backstage.
Then again, so did The Hurricane.
And Steiner.
And probably Judy Bagwell.

but Buff said the lockerroom respected him because he was a pretty boy badass.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

coconono posted:

Buff shot his dad, I respect him

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

coconono posted:

Kevin Sullivan's other scoop was that Buff Bagwell was better at playing the narcissist heel than Lex Luger because he was a bigger narcissist than Lex Luger.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I wish Buff Bagwell had gone into MMA in the early 2000s after WCW folded (he has some MMA training, not sure how much), mostly because he'd probably be terrible at it professionally and would have ended up fighting Dan Quinn or something in 4th-rate NorCal promotions.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 6, 2015

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

RZApublican posted:

I wish Buff Bagwell had gone into MMA in the early 2000s after WCW folded (he has some MMA training, not sure how much), mostly because he'd probably be terrible at it professionally and would have ended up fighting Dan Quinn or something in 4th-rate NorCal promotions.

its called tachi palace fights and id love to see buff the stuff fight for them

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Phil Baroni was the Buff Bagwell of the UFC so just pretend he was bigger and roidier

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

1st AD posted:

Phil Baroni was the Buff Bagwell of the UFC so just pretend he was bigger and roidier

imo thats insulting to the new york bad rear end

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Yuriy posted:

imo thats insulting to the new york bad rear end

It's actually pretty spot on an I can 100% imagine baroni's mom calling in sick for him. I doubt buff could ever accidentally get a crazy step over Kimura after seeing one on video though

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Never have I wanted to see anything more than Buff Bagwell vs Dan Quinn

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Never have I wanted to see anything more than Buff Bagwell vs Dan Quinn

Wasn't there a game that was basically TEW but with MMA? I'm sure someone could mod the database to include what-ifs for a bunch of pro-wrestlers going into MMA. Hell, that'd probably make a pretty good LP.

edit: actually, you'd probably have to mod the database to include Dan Quinn, too, but that's a small price to pay to get to experience Bagwell vs Quinn, the defining rivalry of the D-list fight world.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 7, 2015

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Buff Bagwell vs. Sean O'Haire.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Am I missing something or does the Network only have Nitro from 95 and 96? I started reading this thread from the start and really want to watch some awful late period WCW.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Am I missing something or does the Network only have Nitro from 95 and 96? I started reading this thread from the start and really want to watch some awful late period WCW.

Yeah they've only uploaded 100 hours of Nitro. It's not the awful period yet but tonight at 8 we'll be watching a June 98 Nitro. We're about a month away from nWo Nightcap one of the worst things in Nitro history.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

Yeah they've only uploaded 100 hours of Nitro. It's not the awful period yet but tonight at 8 we'll be watching a June 98 Nitro. We're about a month away from nWo Nightcap one of the worst things in Nitro history.

I went and looked this up and man I cannot wait to see it. it's a shame the Jay Leno , Chucky and Robocop never got in the square's circle together.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

You say this but spots 1-20 on my "Worst things I've seen on Tuesday Nitro so far" list belong to that loving Piper's Family promo, and I find it hard to believe anything will join the top 20 for a long, long time.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Great White Hope posted:

You say this but spots 1-20 on my "Worst things I've seen on Tuesday Nitro so far" list belong to that loving Piper's Family promo, and I find it hard to believe anything will join the top 20 for a long, long time.

where does the nWo spending an hour to breakdown the Nitro set for nWo Nitro rank

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

ayn rand hand job posted:

where does the nWo spending an hour to breakdown the Nitro set for nWo Nitro rank

It should rank real loving high.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Here is a list of things that were on Nitro and were bad:

- KISS and The KISS Demon
- Megadeth
- Master P and The No Limit Soldiers
- Anything involving Vampiro and Sting
- Rick Steiner yelling at the Chucky doll
- BattleDome
- Tank Abbott's gut
- The Maestro
- Anything to do with Prince Iaukea
- Rey Mysterio, unmasked, with horns
- Hacksaw Jim Duggan, Canadian sympathizer
- The Dog
- Hogan getting his face too close to the camera and spending 4-6 minutes repeating catchphrases and generic heel things
- Anything to do with Warrior and oWn
- Anything involving Booker T fighting Big T or being called GI Bro
- Anything involving Eric Bischoff and Jay Leno
- Steve "Mongo" McMichael wrestling, talking, or appearing on TV
- On-Air character Vince Russo
- World Champion David Arquette
- Promos or matches involving Elizabeth, Asya, Midnight, Debra, Major Gunns, Madusa, Kimberly Page, Nitro Girls, or whatever Brutus Beefcake was calling himself that week

My fingers are starting to hurt

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Red posted:

Uhhhh all of these ruled????

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Red posted:

- KISS and The KISS Demon
- Megadeth
- Master P and The No Limit Soldiers
- Anything involving Vampiro and Sting
- Rick Steiner yelling at the Chucky doll
- BattleDome
- Tank Abbott's gut
- The Maestro
- Anything to do with Prince Iaukea
- Rey Mysterio, unmasked, with horns
- Hacksaw Jim Duggan, Canadian sympathizer
- The Dog
- Hogan getting his face too close to the camera and spending 4-6 minutes repeating catchphrases and generic heel things
- Anything to do with Warrior and oWn
- Anything involving Booker T fighting Big T or being called GI Bro
- Anything involving Eric Bischoff and Jay Leno
- Steve "Mongo" McMichael wrestling, talking, or appearing on TV
- On-Air character Vince Russo
- World Champion David Arquette
- Promos or matches involving Elizabeth, Asya, Midnight, Debra, Major Gunns, Madusa, Kimberly Page, Nitro Girls, or whatever Brutus Beefcake was calling himself that week

My fingers are starting to hurt
This post made me unreasonably nostalgic

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

triplexpac posted:

Then please set a close up of Tank Abbott's gut as both your computer wallpaper and your screensaver and post a screencap, and I will admit my wrongdoing.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

triplexpac posted:

Agree without a hint of irony

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Red posted: