Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.
I wonder if they just adjusted the damage down just so the increased enemy numbers didn't throw it all out of balance. That might change later on though, if they happened to slip in the prior DLC units into the mix on the standard campaign stages, those silver spiders and gold ants hit super hard. The gold ants in particular, just one of those ants could destroy a ~5000 armor character in a single acid blast, and just amplify that knowing there's going to be far more than one of those death machines coming for you.

But then again maybe they did it to do away with the intense armor grind to get a character ready for inferno. Overall it sounds like just the changes I would want to fully get into the game this time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bieber the creator
Sep 24, 2003

craving wonton soup irl

hamburgers in pockets posted:

So wait, did this even get a physical release? I was all set to import a copy but if it's JP PSN only I'm gonna need to make an account and find a way to get JP PSN credit because I need this game yesterday.

Make an new japanese account: http://tay.kotaku.com/you-can-play-ps4s-japanese-exclusives-right-now-here-1523908351

Then buy these and redeem the codes on japan PSN:
http://www.play-asia.com/playstation-network-card-ticket-5000-yen-for-japanese-network--paOS-13-49-en-70-3xk4.html
http://www.play-asia.com/playstation-network-card-ticket-1000-yen-for-japanese-network--paOS-13-49-en-70-3xk6.html

Game will then run fine if you launch it from your normal account.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

How do people grind for armor? Everyone I play with has hundreds more than me right out of the gate, with like the same completion percentage. It's like everyone in Japan got together and agreed not to go online until after grinding a ton.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
That's probably what they did. Play single until you get some turrets, grind up a chunk, play a harder mode to get better turrets, etc. There is probably more recent/relevant advice for this but that's what I did back in EDF 3.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Time to repost this video I made when 2025 came out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3heZM0SEnQ

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
Air Raider is definitely improved now but it sucks that you still can't summon regular tanks inside of cave levels, only the new crawler-bot thingies. The Vegalta mech around level 35 with the dual missile launchers and dual autocannons is still insanely OP and that's really all I've noticed I think as I spent most of today's play session trying to grind up armour and weapons for a ranger

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Welp, I am weak, I now own a PS4 and playing this right now. Certainly feels better.

Course uh... it would appear the map for mission 11 has been completely changed and the initial entourage of soldiers WILL die without taking much with them. This renders the above video null and void for 4.1.

Mediocrity Goggles fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 6, 2015

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

To be honest, Luceid and I just spent a bunch of time on mission 1 while we were waiting for the rest of the game to download. A couple good runs on Hard got us some gear to cope with Hardest, and at that point you can get up to level 40 stuff. I got real lucky and had a Thunder Bow 20R drop, which is enough of a leg-up to start really hitting the game hard. The combination of 'ants don't spit' plus 'NPCs have tanks that actually do damage' really helped.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Apr 6, 2015

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

I assume if you download the japanese version it doesn't have english anything?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Lexorin posted:

I assume if you download the japanese version it doesn't have english anything?
Yeah, except for yelling "EDF!" and "Roger!" and stuff there's no English.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, except for yelling "EDF!" and "Roger!" and stuff there's no English.

Hearing them singing in Japanese to the tune of the Battle Hymn of the Republic gives me some quality feels.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Those songs are fuckin amazing in the English version. I assume it's probably the same in Japanese, but holy poo poo they kept getting darker and more depressing as the game goes on.

We are prepared for any alien threat
The Navy launches ships, the Air Force sends it's jets
And nothing can withstand our fixed bayonets!
The EDF deploys!

so loving sarcastic, it rules.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MCfTDbEQVY

:dogbutton:

(also I probably should have sped up the last few minutes of this because jesus christ that robot is slow)

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Been trying to knock out some normal missions online in random rooms without saying anything. Think I really need like a translation guide for a good amount of the canned communications and room setting words.

Anyways, PSN: Konoko45 if you wanna arrange some games sometime.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Doc Morbid posted:

(also I probably should have sped up the last few minutes of this because jesus christ that robot is slow)

Oh my gently caress they are doing the RAD Grand Charge localize this I'm throwing money at my screen and nothing is happening.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Doc Morbid posted:

Sick. I have one of the enormous kaiju-fightin' robots but don't know how to make it do anything but punch left/right. I want to charge up stylishly too.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

You press L3+R3 to do the charge. I don't know if it does anything (maybe you can do different punches when it's activated?), but it sure looks pretty baller.

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.
I'm curious how exactly PS+ works with this. Do you all have JP PS+ subscriptions or can you play online just fine if you're playing this on a US account with an active PS+ subscription?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I'm curious how exactly PS+ works with this. Do you all have JP PS+ subscriptions or can you play online just fine if you're playing this on a US account with an active PS+ subscription?

Doesn't matter what region your plus account is

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

As long as both accounts point to your current console as the primary PS4, you can maintain service with just your regular local account.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Doc Morbid posted:

You press L3+R3 to do the charge. I don't know if it does anything (maybe you can do different punches when it's activated?), but it sure looks pretty baller.

If they went all the way with the RADness it activates your rocket punches, chest lasers and the like.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Buy with your JP account, download and install, log out and in to your PS+, play normally.

EDIT: Forgot to say, Japanese PS games have the O and X buttons functions swapped, so X is cancel and O is OK. All in-game and some OS menus use the Japanese convention, while other PS4 menus continue to behave as they do in the West.

Storm One fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 7, 2015

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Doc Morbid posted:

I'm pretty sure I did a stomp once by accident but couldn't pull it off again on purpose.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Doc Morbid posted:

Hello game I am buying for a 4th time and not regretting.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

It looks as if mission 14 is now the formal replacement of the previous mission 11 in terms of being able to use it to get a jump in weapons power. Thanks to the new added AI tanks, the AI will eventually whittle down all enemy forces on its own without you having to fire a shot even on inferno, you just have to make sure to not get too much heat from the drone swarm when the map starts.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Yo so it totally won't let play anything beside level 1, everything else just has a rotating loading(?) icon and is greyed out. Everything appears to finished downloading, so what's up.

mune
Sep 23, 2006
So, is there just no word on a release date for NA? I'm waiting with bated breath...

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Neo Helbeast posted:

Yo so it totally won't let play anything beside level 1, everything else just has a rotating loading(?) icon and is greyed out. Everything appears to finished downloading, so what's up.

Sounds like you've only downloaded the bare minimum to begin playing and the rest is still silently downloading in the background. Go to the game icon in the ps4 main menu and hit the options button and then go to information to see how much is actually downloaded.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

lets hang out posted:

Sounds like you've only downloaded the bare minimum to begin playing and the rest is still silently downloading in the background. Go to the game icon in the ps4 main menu and hit the options button and then go to information to see how much is actually downloaded.

Ok, I'm at 4.5 gigs out of 6.1 so that's why. This playing games before they're finished downloaded is weird to me and make feel like a videogame grampa because I don't understand the point of it.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Neo Helbeast posted:

Ok, I'm at 4.5 gigs out of 6.1 so that's why. This playing games before they're finished downloaded is weird to me and make feel like a videogame grampa because I don't understand the point of it.

It's really dumb that there isn't a big notice like HEY YOU HAVEN'T ACTUALLY DOWNLOADED THE WHOLE GAME YET anywhere.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

mune posted:

So, is there just no word on a release date for NA? I'm waiting with bated breath...

For real. I went and yelled at some twitters, hopefully there will be word soon.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Watching videos of a real EDF game running at a double digit framerate consistently when things are happening makes me feel weird.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Light Gun Man posted:

For real. I went and yelled at some twitters, hopefully there will be word soon.

what are these twitters i want to yell

Kanos posted:

Watching videos of a real EDF game running at a double digit framerate consistently when things are happening makes me feel weird.

We joke about bad frame rate being integral to the EDF experience but I look forward to playing the game split screen without it. I've always felt EDF was amazing in spite of that rather than because of it. It was a testament to how fun a game could be despite its technical limitations.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Apr 7, 2015

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

The low framerate honestly made splitscreen missions take forever, I'm glad it's at least decent now.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Levantine posted:

what are these twitters i want to yell

@EarthDefenseFce @D3Publisher

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Spidermechs are hella fun, I hope there is a missile launcher varient because rooftop bombardment is kickin rad.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Is it just me or did they make shield generators far more annoying in this version than they were before? They're far more sensitive to gunfire in their enlarged bubble and will turn tail and haul rear end outta there the moment a shot is fired. And I do mean haul rear end, they all seem to move at the speed of slightly faster than a rolling ranger to about thrusting wing diver speeds. I coulda sworn those things were almost hector speeds when moving in 2025.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I wasn't sure if that was new or something that only happened in later stages or higher difficulties that I never saw in 2025

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Giant Robot smashing trip report:

No guns
R1 and L1 are melee punches, there doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason on what button press correlates to what kind of strike comes out.
R2 and L2 are stomps, hold to use and you must be standing still, doesn't seem to do anything(was testing on a Hector only map, may kill ants).
L3 is a kicking rad charge up fist bump, doesn't seem to do anything.
As an Air Raider you can get one as early as level 14 on hard, mine is level 20 and has 50k health.

Will update, when I get a higher level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Neo Helbeast posted:

Giant Robot smashing trip report:

No guns
R1 and L1 are melee punches, there doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason on what button press correlates to what kind of strike comes out.
R2 and L2 are stomps, hold to use and you must be standing still, doesn't seem to do anything(was testing on a Hector only map, may kill ants).
L3 is a kicking rad charge up fist bump, doesn't seem to do anything.
As an Air Raider you can get one as early as level 14 on hard, mine is level 20 and has 50k health.

Will update, when I get a higher level.

Follow up on the punch thing, L1 L1 R1 L1 is a short combo that's Jab, Straight, Overhead, Uppercut. Works the same way with R1 R1 L1 R1.