Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I'm about done with community college and getting ready to start university (don't know exactly where yet), and I'm similarly at a point where I need to weigh my options.

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna stick with mech over aero at this point. My rationale so far has been wider job base and the fact that I can still do the aerospace industry with a mech degree (My dream job is designing rocket engines)

However, from what I keep hearing, I'm now not so sure if I really wanna do that; I know the stories about ie Spacex, and now it's sounding like that's a lot more widespread than I thought. My other option (or rather direction of interest) would be going into the automotive industry, since I've got plenty of experience working on cars already, as opposed to zero with anything aerospace.

The caveat to all this is that I live in Orlando, nowhere near anything automotive related but right in the heart of all the space coast stuff and the UCF/lockmart conglomerate, which throws off the calculus somewhat, at least until I get a better resume and can more easily consider moving out of state.

Anyone working in the auto industry who can weigh in on this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Globofglob
Jan 14, 2008
I'm choosing electives for my final year of an EE undergrad, and I was wondering what specialization is currently hiring/in demand. I have a choice between:

Power Systems- Power Drives, Solar Cells, Micro fabrication, Power Electronics
Electronics- CMOS stuff/Circuit design/ electromechanical systems
Cryptology/Security
Optoelectronics- 1 course
COmmunications- DSP/digital communication systems

The info I got from my advisor was to specialize and take all the courses available in one, to make me more attractive to potential employers. But I don't know what specialization is most in demand right now. I'm interested in the Optoelectronics course and some of the Electronics design, as well as microfabrication. I don't want to go full power systems though, because I really don't want to end up working in a power plant for the rest of my life. However, my interests seem to niche to get me a job, and I'm not sure if I will manage the GPA to qualify for a Master's. Can you guys offer me any advice?

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud

Fucknag posted:

I'm about done with community college and getting ready to start university (don't know exactly where yet), and I'm similarly at a point where I need to weigh my options.

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna stick with mech over aero at this point. My rationale so far has been wider job base and the fact that I can still do the aerospace industry with a mech degree (My dream job is designing rocket engines)

I originally wanted to be an aerospace engineer when I was starting community college, but as part of the curriculum, I took a class to help me fully decide what I wanted to pursue. During that class I interviewed an engineer at Lockheed Martin who had a AE degree, and she had said that she really wished she had completed a in mech e degree instead for the same reason you cited. In hindsight, had I picked AE it would have been a mistake as the job market when I graduated was still shedding aerospace jobs and several of my AE friends had issues because of it.

As long as you pick your school well, you should be able to find somewhere that allows you to take courses that help understand rocket propulsion as part of the ME curriculum. While finishing my ME degree I took a class on turbomachinery and compressible flow, which as my professor put it "is not hard, it's just rocket science." A lot of course offerings, degree plans, and syllabi from universities are available online which can be a huge resource if you're willing to put in the time looking at them. Plus, you can always just email the professor asking for information about their schools and their course offerings. You might not get a response, but it's going to hurt to try.

quote:

However, from what I keep hearing, I'm now not so sure if I really wanna do that; I know the stories about ie Spacex, and now it's sounding like that's a lot more widespread than I thought. My other option (or rather direction of interest) would be going into the automotive industry, since I've got plenty of experience working on cars already, as opposed to zero with anything aerospace.

The caveat to all this is that I live in Orlando, nowhere near anything automotive related but right in the heart of all the space coast stuff and the UCF/lockmart conglomerate, which throws off the calculus somewhat, at least until I get a better resume and can more easily consider moving out of state.

I work for a heavy duty OEM, which pretty much qualifies me in no way whatsoever to comment on the automotive side of things, but whatever. The automotive industry as a whole is huge and I would be really surprised if there was nothing in your area. Even if you do not get to work for a well know company, there will also be many suppliers that sell parts to the major manufacturers. Being willing to relocate makes it much easier to land a job, although you may end up living in a town of 20,000 where the next major city over is three hours away (which might not be a bad thing, that's up to you.)

It will be very worthwhile to play up having experience working on cars to any company you apply to. First off, it can easily be a common bond in an interview as car enthusiasts are very common. More importantly though, it shows that you have some technical understanding on how things go together and come apart as well as many other practical skills. As part of my current role for my employer, having past experience as a mechanic was a huge plus as I spend a significant amount of time working in a lab where I still frequently utilize those skills.

Along those same lines, you absolutely 100% must have an internship or some form of co-op. Even if it is a in a completely unrelated technical field to where you want to be, not having one will hurt you significantly when you try to hire on at most any company. For many entry-level positions, companies understand that they will have to invest a significant amount of training time into you, so the relevancy of your job experience is not always important.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Globofglob posted:

I'm choosing electives for my final year of an EE undergrad, and I was wondering what specialization is currently hiring/in demand. I have a choice between:

Cryptology/Security

The info I got from my advisor was to specialize and take all the courses available in one, to make me more attractive to potential employers. But I don't know what specialization is most in demand right now. I'm interested in the Optoelectronics course and some of the Electronics design, as well as microfabrication. I don't want to go full power systems though, because I really don't want to end up working in a power plant for the rest of my life. However, my interests seem to niche to get me a job, and I'm not sure if I will manage the GPA to qualify for a Master's. Can you guys offer me any advice?

I think you should pursue the optoelectronics and the design courses and fab if that's what interests you. And this isn't some seriously "follow your dreams and the money will come" stuff. All of that stuff is in demand for good people. It's far more important to decide what you do and don't like. If you'd like to do grad school, try to ask around for some undergrad research if your schedule permits it. If you like it, that's great and with a rec and good GRE score you should be able to get into grad school no problem. If you hate the classes and/or research, then now you know and you haven't wasted time specializing in a tree you don't like. Trying to guess what won't crumble to dust over a career is weird*. Just my perspective, colored by my unique experiences so far, YMMV.

*When I was selecting college programs, Petroleum engineering paid the highest, but people thought it wouldn't be around over the course of a career. Post-graduation and up until recently, it looked like studying petroleum engineering would be the best career move anyone could have made. Now it has ebbed due to factors I won't go into here, but that's just an example. Either way, if you were excellent in that field, you would likely still be around. There will always be a demand for good people.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Globofglob posted:

Cryptology/Security

Power systems don't necessarily mean power plants, anything above 12 V and drawing 5A could be a power system. Power systems are in pretty big demand right now, and there are a lot of startups trying to do things with GaN. Power systems are also super hot in automotive and aerospace because there is so much variety on devices and the need to be efficient so large.

Optoelectronics are also a good space to get in to. The big stuff is in its infancy and the DoD is putting billions into getting chip level optoelectronics manufacturing going in the US. It will be a good time to jump in if you decide to do a master's first. Of course its good to augment this with some application, like comms, crypto, sensor whatever. It's also tightly coupled with electromagnetics.

I'd be a little wary of CMOS stuff because while the super small stuff is US only a lot of that gets farmed out to other countries now. That said having some basic understanding of fab and challenges of fab is good because even if you don't do CMOS and fab some other process technology its going to apply, and no matter what you do in electronics everyone will always want to drive towards chip level (See power GaN devices above!) and you'll end up discussing fab and packaging at some point anyway. I wouldn't want to make it my main specialization though.

Fucknag posted:

torpedan makes a bunch of good points, automotive is so vast that you can do literally anything. Think about what goes on a modern car and it pretty much involves everything we use in our daily life and then some. That said, be careful of trying to join with a BS ME, because you'll end up doing a lot of CAD under the close supervision of someone, or throwing cookbooks at some design under the close supervision of someone. Also, a lot of it is super specialization, so find some place with a good rotation. A whole department will work on the glovebox opening mechanism for example, seeing what parts can be replaced by plastic, if it fails the 10 million opening test (and by fail, I mean starts squeaking or something, not stop working). The consumer market for automotive is severe so everything has to be perfect, so production engineering is super anal. There's a lot more than production engineering! But if you want to be the guy designing engine flow rates or doing research for better vehicles, you need at least a Master. Certainly you can gain enough on the job to move into that, but 2 years of involved projects at school is more interesting than slinging CAD for five years in my opinion. I joined as BS and immediately did a typical school masters alongside 40 hours of work which I wouldn't wish on anyone. I also took 4 years and delayed getting my 80% pay raise into the master pay scale for two years, so you might want to think about that. Additionally design internships are easier to come by if you are in a good school program.

That was super rambly but if you want to know anything specific, ask. I work in the industry.

Uncle Jam fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 1, 2015

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Globofglob posted:

Cryptology/Security

People always say that cybersecurity is one of the best fields to get into... but it really isn't something that'll use your engineering background as much as you might want for most jobs. It's a very demanding field with a bad work:life balance. All of the local cybersecurity groups pretty much say that if you want to get hired in cybersecurity, you already know what is needed because you've been doing it as a hobby for years.

Personally, I'd choose whatever will yield the best undergrad GPA. If your GPA is less than a 3.0, you really might want to focus on bumping it as best you can.

Comms/DSP is kind of calculus heavy. I was flipping through some DSP notes and saw a whole bunch of Fourier coefficient calculations/power series approximations and was like "never again" so I avoided that class. I'd rather slog through a mile of multivector calc than do a single Frobenius Power Series again.

Electronics/power electronics tend to be more classical EE problems. Here is a BJT, do some nodal analysis and solve for gate voltage and diode current. OK now its a MOSFET, solve for the same crap. Ok now I moved a wire and tapped off of here, now what is it? Ok now it's cascaded, now what? What's my gain? OK LETS GO TO THE S DOMAIN WOOOO small signal models.......

Electromechanics, if its like mine, is the study of transformers, magnetic circuits, and motors/generators. It could be as crappy as "Using Maxwell's equations, derive the magnetic flux density in this transformer core if these are the permeability constants and this is the physical dimensions of x y z1 n r phi and z2"... or it could be as cake as "Using some simple algebra and given a 450V DC Shunt Motor, calculate the voltage drop across the armature if you have this output torque at this speed and this line current"... hard to tell and totally depends on the professor. Could either be an easy A or Electromagnetic Fields 2: Electric Field Boogaloo.

I'm not sure what optoelectronics would be like.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

KetTarma posted:

Personally, I'd choose whatever will yield the best undergrad GPA. If your GPA is less than a 3.0, you really might want to focus on bumping it as best you can.
Bingo. And have a good capstone/senior design project to talk about in interviews.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Bingo. And have a good capstone/senior design project to talk about in interviews.

Yeah I forgot about this part but listen to SWSP. No company is going to think you're full capacity after taking a bunch of senior level courses, but the capstone and other projects are where you can really shine and show passion / problem solving for real engineering work.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Be wary of who you do your capstone with. I've seen some real shitters.

Also make sure you argue with your team a lot over concepts - one of the groups I am working with seem to refuse to criticise each other and it's produced a poo poo-chimera of separate terrible designs all jammed into one prototype.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Fucknag posted:

Whats up fellow Valencia -> UCF transfer. When i graduated I went to a very big silicon valley company and now I am back in Central Florida for defense. I also interviewed at Honda Manufacturing of Alabama, Lockheed and a few others who are players at the UCF career fair.

Unless you specifically want an Aero job DOING something that requires Aero, get a mechanical undergrad. Also try to get an internship through Lockheed CWEP, Northrop Grumman in Melbourne, or something in Research Park (the latter is unlikely). If all else fails do research at the college. Both my senior design project and the stuff I published in undergrad came up in interviews.

Good luck.

EDIT: P.S> There is nothing automotive in the Orlando area (Lakeland->Space Coast) that I am aware of except MAYBE a Tier 3 here or there. There's also one or two racing teams in Miami but you better be a technical leader in FSAE and be prepare to do nothing but that racing team life.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 2, 2015

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Buncha good advice, definitely giving me some info to consider.

CarForumPoster posted:

Whats up fellow Valencia -> UCF transfer. When i graduated I went to a very big silicon valley company and now I am back in Central Florida for defense. I also interviewed at Honda Manufacturing of Alabama, Lockheed and a few others who are players at the UCF career fair.

Unless you specifically want an Aero job DOING something that requires Aero, get a mechanical undergrad. Also try to get an internship through Lockheed CWEP, Northrop Grumman in Melbourne, or something in Research Park (the latter is unlikely). If all else fails do research at the college. Both my senior design project and the stuff I published in undergrad came up in interviews.

Good luck.

EDIT: P.S> There is nothing automotive in the Orlando area (Lakeland->Space Coast) that I am aware of except MAYBE a Tier 3 here or there. There's also one or two racing teams in Miami but you better be a technical leader in FSAE and be prepare to do nothing but that racing team life.

I'm actually at Seminole State, not Valencia. Splitting hairs though. :v: And if I'm on a racing team I better be the loving driver.

Research is definitely something I could look into; that and graduate stuff all kinda make my head spin, though, since I've (due to various major switches and various poor life choices) been in community college since 2007. Kinda intimidating to think I'll be at big-boy school soon.

Mentioning Melbourne reminded me, I've got an uncle who works as an engineer at Harris; I could probably get an internship with them pretty easy if I wanted to. They're telecom, so not quite what I have my sights set on, but they certainly need mechanical guys. Seem like a good idea?

Related question: apparently UCF has... well, not quite a program, but a class layout where, once you've got your BSME it's only like 8 more classes to also get your BS-Aero. Would that be worth it, or would I be better off going straight into grad school? My other option if they accept me is UF (nothing really to choose between them other than family history and personal preference), I'm sure there's something similar there. Obviously it's a ways off so I've got time to decide, but it's something to think about in the meantime.

Hotbod Handsomeface
Dec 28, 2009
What type of pay did you guys really see in internships. I've seen some people mention hourly rates that are above $20 in this thread and I am not seeing that. I am a Junior of Chemical engineering, with 1 internship from last summer. My GPA is ~3.2 and my core GPA is >3.5. I'm waiting on paperwork for an internship that pays $15 an hour. I feel like I am worth more even without the degree. I know I don't have bargaining power without other offers, but this number seems to be the norm. This is in Southern California and in my experience the only internships that seem to pay well are the oil ones.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Hotbod Handsomeface posted:

What type of pay did you guys really see in internships. I've seen some people mention hourly rates that are above $20 in this thread and I am not seeing that. I am a Junior of Chemical engineering, with 1 internship from last summer. My GPA is ~3.2 and my core GPA is >3.5. I'm waiting on paperwork for an internship that pays $15 an hour. I feel like I am worth more even without the degree. I know I don't have bargaining power without other offers, but this number seems to be the norm. This is in Southern California and in my experience the only internships that seem to pay well are the oil ones.

There's not much use for ChemE here, so unless you're lucky enough to get into one of those oil internships the pickings are very slim. And yeah, I made more before I started college as well than at my internship.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

When I did my summer internship at an aerospace company in Southern California years ago I got paid around $18/hr and I was also just finished up my junior year of college.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
I would expect the pay for an internship to be closely correlated to the salaries at the same company so if the company is known for high salaries then the internships will also pay higher than normal. This plays out from what I've seen in this thread as the high hourly rates for internships seem to be for high paying software companies.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I have seen classmates get as low as 12$/hr and as high as 25$/hr as interns.

If you're not sure between aero and mech, pick mech. The more specialized you get, the harder it is to find a job.

In aerospace, you'll arguably see more mechanical and electrical engineers running around than aerospace engineers.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
When I interned in Germany I only made 700 euro/month which doesn't equate to a whole lot per hour when you're doing 40 hour weeks and is just barely enough to get by in Munich if you don't do anything fun ever. It was still worth it for the experience to get to live/work in Munich for a summer (I'm an American) and it looks great on a resume.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

KetTarma posted:

In aerospace, you'll arguably see more mechanical and electrical engineers running around than aerospace engineers.

This is 100% true and I wish someone had told me it before I graduated. Most of the aero engineers from my graduating class are systems engineers. Somehow my dumbass ended up in software.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

KetTarma posted:

I have seen classmates get as low as 12$/hr and as high as 25$/hr as interns.

If you're not sure between aero and mech, pick mech. The more specialized you get, the harder it is to find a job.

I work in astrospace so not totally the same, but I have never understood the purpose of getting an aerospace degree vs a classic EE or ME degree. I think you might get pigeon holed into doing the not fun aspects of aerospace, like being a status taker/pusher. You don't want to be in project/program management in astrospace/aerospace if you value your sanity and will to live.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

KetTarma posted:

This is also true of the nuclear industry and nuclear engineers vs mechanical/electrical engineers.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Gorman Thomas posted:

This is 100% true and I wish someone had told me it before I graduated. Most of the aero engineers from my graduating class are systems engineers. Somehow my dumbass ended up in software.

"Systems engineers" are usually the catch all title for status takers/chart makers/pushers/excel book keepers. No recent grad is doing real systems engineering, meaning like the actual design and analysis of a system.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

District Selectman posted:

No recent grad is doing real systems engineering, meaning like the actual design and analysis of a system.

Maybe at your company? Because we hire new grads all the time to do just that, throw them in the deep end and see if they sink or float. All you get is a slightly-better-than paper stencil of your system and you have to do the rest.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 10, 2023

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Yeah the whole Systems Engineer tag still really confuses me. At my work there's maybe a handful of people (all in their late 40s/early 50s) that fit the classic systems engineer definition. The other 40 or so systems engineers are pretty much test engineers for software/hardware. I don't really get it.

Edit: also, like someone else mentioned, aerospace is full of dinosaurs.

Gorman Thomas fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 2, 2015

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 10, 2023

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
e: double

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
This semester I'm teaching a class that's part of a community college's Mechanical Engineering Technology program. I've had a couple students ask me about their career paths and as a civil, I was pretty stumped -- what sorts of careers does an MET degree prepare someone for?

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
I was under the impression that ET degrees are engineering in name only and typically give you much worse job aspects than an ME degree. Also AFAIK they are not accredited by ABET as an engineering degree and I don't think you can even sit on the FE with one.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

In my experience, ET degrees are for technician jobs -- at least the rare ones that require degrees.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Long version: Post on engineering vs engineering technology

Short version is that they're totally unrelated and only in rare circumstances can a technologist work as an engineer.

A MET is going to be looking for jobs that sound like "mechanic."
The main reason to get a MET is to get an advantage over someone that only has a highschool diploma for a position.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
I understand that it's not an engineering degree; I'm just curious about what kinds of specific job titles they'd be looking for in the future. It's also a two-year associate's program, so none of them are worried about sitting for the FE/PE.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Job titles where a MET would fit from where I've worked:
Manufacturing engineering analyst, manufacturing engineering planner, aerospace weight analyst, assembler, anything with "mechanic" in the title, HVAC repairman, maintenance supervisor, maintenance technician, equipment operator, licensed nuclear reactor operator-in-training, senior reactor operator, station technical advisor, non-destructive testing specialist

Crunchy In Milk
Apr 22, 2008

:love: let's snog the unstable robot :love:
I'm looking for some advice. I'm 26 and I graduated with a Bachelor's in Physics from a relatively respected University in the UK (usually in top 10 lists). Being a dumb 21-year-old I neglected my final year and failed everything in it. I ended up graduating without honors.

With hindsight and poo poo, I'd really like to become an engineer. I've spent the last 3 years working on houses and I realise I like building things, and I'd like to build cooler things. Using my brain. Preferably ME with some Software Engineering thrown in.

Reading through some of the earlier stuff in this thread, people were posting about going to community college to get the first two years of a degree and then finishing the final two in a legit University. Given my age and educational history, how feasible is this for me to do? Also does anyone know how I can find a suitable community college? One that's cheap for international students, ABET certified, with entry requirements that I meet? I'm looking mostly at the US but I'm generally looking for schooling that's not in my home country so if anyone has any suggestions in other countries that'd be sweet.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

I don't think you're going to find ABET-certified engineering associates programs so much as transfer programs that are accepted by nearby universities that are themselves ABET-certified. You get to skip most of the general ed and prerequisite math & physics courses due to your existing degree, so you'd really only be looking at taking entry-level engineering courses at community college with maybe a general ed course or two. You can knock that out in a year as a full-time student.

As for finding a US community college, throw a brick. You're better off selecting the university you want to get your engineering degree from and finding out from them which CCs have transfer programs they accept.

ME and "software engineering" (aka computer science) are two entirely different beasts, so skip the computer science. Based on what I've read here (as I'm currently in a community college's AE program), it's not going to do anything for your ability to get an engineering job.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Why would you go back to community college if you already have a physics degree? The only classes you should need to take would be the engineering specific ones as the basic reqs should be the same and you've presumably taken all the math courses required to get the physics degree. I would expect you could complete any single engineering degree in two years. Do you have a specific field or job in mind? As Hello Sailor pointed out ME and CS (what I assume you mean by software) don't share a lot and getting both would most likely not be worth the extra time it would take to do so.

I think I should also point out that working on houses and doing an ME job have very little in common and most engineers do not work on things most people would consider cool. If you can either talk to some MEs or better yet shadow one. Trying to not be a downer here, but your post comes off as kind of whimsical and I think you need to evaluate why exactly you want to get a job in engineering before devoting 2+ years to a degree.

asur fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 6, 2015

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

That's pretty low in my experience. I made more than that as a sophomore in the Midwest, for example. It was more like $25 as a junior, at a company that hired a lot of ChemEs (and paid all engineering majors the same as interns).

Crunchy In Milk
Apr 22, 2008

:love: let's snog the unstable robot :love:

Hello Sailor posted:

I don't think you're going to find ABET-certified engineering associates programs so much as transfer programs that are accepted by nearby universities that are themselves ABET-certified. You get to skip most of the general ed and prerequisite math & physics courses due to your existing degree, so you'd really only be looking at taking entry-level engineering courses at community college with maybe a general ed course or two. You can knock that out in a year as a full-time student.
I thought this might be the case, I was slightly worried that a not so stellar degree completion and 5 years out of the realm of education might work against me.

Hello Sailor posted:

As for finding a US community college, throw a brick. You're better off selecting the university you want to get your engineering degree from and finding out from them which CCs have transfer programs they accept.
This is good advice. You are a good advice giver. Thank you!

Hello Sailor posted:

ME and "software engineering" (aka computer science) are two entirely different beasts, so skip the computer science. Based on what I've read here (as I'm currently in a community college's AE program), it's not going to do anything for your ability to get an engineering job.
As much as I enjoyed the programming aspect of my previous degree, I don't want to bog myself down with too much unrelated study so I'll just stick to ME then.

asur posted:

Why would you go back to community college if you already have a physics degree? The only classes you should need to take would be the engineering specific ones as the basic reqs should be the same and you've presumably taken all the math courses required to get the physics degree. I would expect you could complete any single engineering degree in two years.
Aside from worries about my qualifications, I'm also bearing in mind that I haven't touched any maths more complex than basic algebra in 5 years. I may have the basic units covered but anything I learned back then is pretty much gone. I don't want to be playing catch up with my classmates because they have internalised calculus that I need to look up every other minute. Aside from just redoing those courses is there any sort of refresher course I could do to recover my maths?

asur posted:

Do you have a specific field or job in mind? As Hello Sailor pointed out ME and CS (what I assume you mean by software) don't share a lot and getting both would most likely not be worth the extra time it would take to do so.
Renewables. Wind or hydroelectric specifically. Robotics and 3D printing intrigue me as well, but not as much as renewable energy.

asur posted:

I think I should also point out that working on houses and doing an ME job have very little in common and most engineers do not work on things most people would consider cool. If you can either talk to some MEs or better yet shadow one. Trying to not be a downer here, but your post comes off as kind of whimsical and I think you need to evaluate why exactly you want to get a job in engineering before devoting 2+ years to a degree.
Don't worry, I know that those are two very different jobs, I just like the feeling of creating something. I know an ME, and I might have a chance to work with him in the coming months so I'll interview him a bit about his experiences. I'm not applying for anything just yet, still doing all my research, trying to find what's a good fit for me.

neibbo
Jul 18, 2003

Yes, mein Fuhrer... I mean.. Mr. President
While it might not be exactly what you had in mind, you should get plenty of opportunities to write software as a ME in an ABET curriculum. It will just be mathy software to solve complex engineering problems that are too difficult to solve analytically using MATLAB or something. Look out for courses on numerical or finite element methods if that interests you.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
What's with these people finding high paying internships as sophomores and poo poo? I feel lucky to have found one going into senior year- it seems like most people in my class won't.

I guess if I were handing out advice on schools, I'd tell people to find one that emphasizes internships/coops. Hearing that some schools even require it blew my mind. Mine has alright job fairs (without anything to compare to), but overall it's a very "you're on your own" atmosphere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
So I'm a finance geek at a semiconductor company. One of the dudes in my MBA program is asking for a recommendation/referral for a job inside my company. It's for a technical role and I'd recommend him without hesitation, although of course I can't speak to any of his skills as an engineer. I want to write him a good recommendation, but don't know what I should emphasize based on what I've observed working with him on a bunch of group projects on MBA coursework.

If you're the hiring manager on the other side of this conversation, what sort of skills would you be looking for? Are there any areas that I should emphasize in my evaluation?