Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

stillvisions posted:

I can't say for sure it's very good for constructing songs, but it's always great as a musical version of a (very expensive) zen garden; you'll also get used to the fun of not wanting to unpatch things because it's sounding just right, or the pain of "It sounded so perfect, WHAT DID I CHANGE" and never finding it again. Just remember to let it go...

Yeh i realised this pretty quickly last night when i suddenly thought "oh, that was good, now... to get back to that i just... oh...". So i moved it next to the tape recorder and am capturing everything. & there's something about that I like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
Speaking of Zen Gardens, is it bad I kind of want one of these?

http://folktek.com/instruments/electrocoustic/luminist-garden

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

This week's sonic state has a great ending.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

A Winner is Jew posted:

It's a real neat tool for the two main things it appears to do. If you're itching for a better workflow in your contact mic beats and bell-like pads, I'd say go for it.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

A Winner is Jew posted:

i love how all that folktek stuff looks. some of their kit + that new wood paneled eurorack system from bastl and you'd have a system that would look great just sitting in your studio doing nothing (like 90% of all modular hohohohohoho)

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Mr. Sharps posted:

a system that would look great just sitting in your studio doing nothing (like 90% of all modular hohohohohoho)

In the 60's they used to have things called "feature walls". Same function.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Parva's getting kickstarted. I thought it was already in production.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

gonna need to carry a jewelers loupe to read those tiny lil LCDs

Mr. Sharps fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Apr 4, 2015

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
I've decided. I want a GEM s2r for my birthday. Someone please find me one.

e:

does anyone speak dutch? can they translate this and tell me if the listing is still active?

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Xq6uJ0ufCvkNH0A

Sizone fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Apr 4, 2015

Agent York Morgan
Apr 28, 2013

Sizone posted:

does anyone speak dutch? can they translate this and tell me if the listing is still active?

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Xq6uJ0ufCvkNH0A

It is still active, it comes with a keyboard and several floppy disks. The rest of the listing is talking about what that thing can do, and lists the features. It doesn't say anything about the condition, other than it is "as good as new".

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

I got the Korg Arp Odyssey today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeuIhRle3l0

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Meanwhile Marc Doty is pissed cause he still hasn't recieved his yet.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Tayter Swift posted:

Meanwhile Marc Doty is pissed cause he still hasn't recieved his yet.

His Pro 2 demo is really good though.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Why are Kurzweil K2000s selling for so cheap?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Sizone posted:

Why are Kurzweil K2000s selling for so cheap?

'cause bitches don't know. Also most will be needing a backlight replacement at this point.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Damnit, I need an EU synth broker proxy

http://www.ebay.at/itm/GEM-S2R-Turbo-GENERALMUSIC-Rack-mit-Extras-/201321545295?clk_rvr_id=809834240067&rmvSB=true

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
If you need anything shipped, I'm based in the Netherlands.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Sjoewe posted:

If you need anything shipped, I'm based in the Netherlands.

Hermelien Griffel & Marcel Lubbermans plz

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is the big selling point on bitwig just the isolated plugins and environment?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

:getin:

Had to modify the PS to 115V, because Germany and I am an idiot. But it was easy (break one solder bridge and create two new ones). And now I have to order a 12VAC wall wart for the Dark Time, because same reason.

But omfg I am so goddamn excited, synth thread.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Is the big selling point on bitwig just the isolated plugins and environment?

Copying my post from yospos:

good things:
really neat automation and modulation stuff that lets you do stuff super easy that would be a massive pain in other DAWs
if you have plugs that take midi/audio simultaneously, bitwig handles those seamlessly, logic makes them a bit of a nightmare
interface is way prettier to my taste
midi and clip editor ditto, and there's microtonal editing for the builtin devices which is cool as poo poo
they are updating it on a ~monthly basis so poo poo is getting fixed and added with a quickness
has a clip launcher view that is a lot like ableton's, but works really well as an old-school DAW

bad things:
no AU support yet (but they're supposedly working on it)
various flavors of idiot poo poo with sustain messages
seems to max out resources quicker than any of the more mature DAWs, but really only with some plugins (if there's a pattern there I haven't found it)
no video support
no time signature changes (tempo yes, but not signature)

as I say though, they are updating it constantly so it seems like a lot of the actual fuckups will get ironed out soon. i'm guessing the video and AU support will take longer. on the whole, though, I just really like the flow a lot better than logic's - it feels like it gets in the way a lot less often, and has everything you want exactly where it should be. even with the slightly screwy bits i much prefer bitwig to logic. i'm working in logic today, though, because i'm scoring some poo poo to video. it feels like walking in quicksand, creatively speaking

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Seriously though look around Youtube a bit for Bitwig modulation tutorials, there are some pretty insane possibilities. The four big modulator devices are LFO, Step Mod, Audio Mod, and Note Mod. The first two are pretty self-explanatory, but the last two slightly less so. Audio Mod lets you use the volume of any audio track to modulate any parameter(s) of any device in any other track. Want to use your kick drum to modulate the reverb on your strings? Two clicks and you're laughing. Note Mod does the same sort of thing with MIDI note data, so you can use the notes coming from one of your tracks modulate parameters of any effect in any track. The level of sonic fuckery that enables is awesome, and the fact that it's seriously just a couple of clicks to do any of that is what really sells it - if you can think about it, you can do it in a couple of seconds. My one complaint about the automation is that some of Bitwig's promotional material seems to imply that you can modulate MIDI messages themselves (velocity anyway). If you really can, I haven't figured out how. That's a bit of a shame, as it would allow an easy way to use step mod plus some randomness to humanize drum tracks in very flexible ways. Presumably they're working on it, assuming it's not just hiding somewhere in the program.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

hail satan

sofullofhate posted:

:getin:

Had to modify the PS to 115V, because Germany and I am an idiot. But it was easy (break one solder bridge and create two new ones). And now I have to order a 12VAC wall wart for the Dark Time, because same reason.

But omfg I am so goddamn excited, synth thread.

If you've got any old alesis gear, FMR, those are both 12VAC. Lots of old phone gear is too.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Startyde posted:

hail satan

If you've got any old alesis gear, FMR, those are both 12VAC. Lots of old phone gear is too.

METASONIX

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Trig Discipline posted:

My one complaint about the automation is that some of Bitwig's promotional material seems to imply that you can modulate MIDI messages themselves (velocity anyway). If you really can, I haven't figured out how. That's a bit of a shame, as it would allow an easy way to use step mod plus some randomness to humanize drum tracks in very flexible ways. Presumably they're working on it, assuming it's not just hiding somewhere in the program.
This is one of the things that makes me want to spunk silly money on a Cirklon.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh you can also use modulators to modulate other modulators, so you could for instance have the volume of your audio modulate the depth of the LFO that is modulating the volume of your reverb. Or something. I bet you could make an entire FM synth setup just out of Bitwig's builtin modulation system and a single test tone, if you were spergy enough about it.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Trig Discipline posted:

Seriously though look around Youtube a bit for Bitwig modulation tutorials, there are some pretty insane possibilities. The four big modulator devices are LFO, Step Mod, Audio Mod, and Note Mod. The first two are pretty self-explanatory, but the last two slightly less so. Audio Mod lets you use the volume of any audio track to modulate any parameter(s) of any device in any other track. Want to use your kick drum to modulate the reverb on your strings? Two clicks and you're laughing. Note Mod does the same sort of thing with MIDI note data, so you can use the notes coming from one of your tracks modulate parameters of any effect in any track. The level of sonic fuckery that enables is awesome, and the fact that it's seriously just a couple of clicks to do any of that is what really sells it - if you can think about it, you can do it in a couple of seconds. My one complaint about the automation is that some of Bitwig's promotional material seems to imply that you can modulate MIDI messages themselves (velocity anyway). If you really can, I haven't figured out how. That's a bit of a shame, as it would allow an easy way to use step mod plus some randomness to humanize drum tracks in very flexible ways. Presumably they're working on it, assuming it's not just hiding somewhere in the program.

Trig Discipline posted:

Oh you can also use modulators to modulate other modulators, so you could for instance have the volume of your audio modulate the depth of the LFO that is modulating the volume of your reverb. Or something. I bet you could make an entire FM synth setup just out of Bitwig's builtin modulation system and a single test tone, if you were spergy enough about it.

God, thats like a dream come true.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

JamesKPolk posted:

God, thats like a dream come true.

The per-note expression stuff is pretty amazing too, but it only works with the built-in instruments at the moment. That allows you to, for instance, play a chord and change a whole bunch of stuff about individual notes within the chord while it's still being held. You could start with a C major chord panned center, and while the chord is still playing move the G to a G# and pan it hard right, move the E to a D and leave it in the center, move the C to a B and pan it hard left. You've morphed from a C major to a Bdim and added a bunch of stereo spread in the middle of the chord, which is pretty drat cool. It requires a bit of work if you want to do a whole song like that, but nothing too bad. That's what I was dicking around with when I made this:

https://soundcloud.com/danwarren/microtomal

I was only messing with pitch though. The main instrument is just an EP with the attack rolled off and the sustain dialed way up. The upright bass bends were done the same way.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I like Bitwig just because I can use 64 and 32 bit plugins at the same time, I don't even mess around with any of the really cool stuff.

The workflow is super straightforward, which is nice.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
My sub 37 is gone and now I have a gaping hole to fill it. I have a MacBook Pro. I should get that indestructible controller and rock out with bitwig.

That's what I think :hb:

waneb
Oct 11, 2008
My girlfriend gave me a Roland SH-3A today. I love it and I want to add CV. Has anyone installed one of the Kenton socket upgrade kits on a vintage synth? I see some other retrofit options, but this looks like it might be my best bet.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've been drooling over Bitwig since it was first announced two-hundred years ago, and with all this talk about it together with the 20% discount and free Bazille (a plugin I beta tested and loved)... I went ahead and finally bought it :ohdear:

I know this isn't really the thread to ask, but since we're already talking about Bitwig here.. has anyone made a survival guide of sorts for people coming from Ableton? I love how they just completely copied a lot of the shortcuts (z and x for transposing an octave, c and v for velocity etc.) but I find myself occasionally pressing a button on reflex and messing up the UI.

Also, since no one mentioned it, I'll say my #1 thing with Bitwig: multiple screens. I have two computer monitors, and it's very easy to get distracted (not to mention the waste of space for a mixer, etc.). Utilizing both screens and going fullscreen just makes the workflow so amazingly much better. :allears:

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

wayfinder posted:

Hermelien Griffel & Marcel Lubbermans plz

I really hated Harry Potter as a kid. Still do if we're being honest. :ohdear:

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
There was no Harry Potter when I was a kid :bahgawd:

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Trig Discipline posted:

Just wanted to mention you've been able to do this for years in Renoise. With the hydra module, the envelope followers, and the LFOs and freedom for any modulation source to effect any parameter of any other plugin you can do crazy poo poo. I made some mad dissonant string sounding poo poo by audio rate modulating parameters on that dbtfx FFT plugin, basically auto rate modulating harmonic shifts in a remix I did for Thierry Massad like 7 or so years ago.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
For sale: the 3 left over screws I have from changing an encoder on my RS700. No idea which board or plate they're meant to be securing.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

toadee posted:

Just wanted to mention you've been able to do this for years in Renoise. With the hydra module, the envelope followers, and the LFOs and freedom for any modulation source to effect any parameter of any other plugin you can do crazy poo poo. I made some mad dissonant string sounding poo poo by audio rate modulating parameters on that dbtfx FFT plugin, basically auto rate modulating harmonic shifts in a remix I did for Thierry Massad like 7 or so years ago.

Cool! I've never really used Renoise, so I'm still swooning over having that level of fuckery available.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

You could also do the same thing in FL. Its biggest strength had been in modulation mapping available early on. If it had MIDI worth a poo poo it'd be a juggernaut, imo.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Well all that poo poo has been possible in Plogue Bidule and Buzz for going on 15 years, but they've never been mainstream or user friendly enough for it to matter. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Just go modular and patch everything into everything else. :v: