Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

They just scrape near pure lithium off the top of a dry lakebed in Bolivia. Bolivia basically dictates the world price of lithium because they have something like 95% of the world's reserves just sitting there ready to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Hadlock posted:

They just scrape near pure lithium off the top of a dry lakebed in Bolivia. Bolivia basically dictates the world price of lithium because they have something like 95% of the world's reserves just sitting there ready to go.

Don't wanna make this 'a thing,' but:

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Don't wanna make this 'a thing,' but:

I thought there was a USGS report that stated Afghanistan had a stupid amount of lithium.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Godholio posted:

Apparently Goodyear is bringing their next generation up...semi-rigid, heavier-than-air craft built by Zeppelin.

This makes me fully rigid.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

SybilVimes posted:

They've not lost any GZ-20s and those were introduced in 1969.

They lost a GZ-19 (Mayflower) in 1978 to 70 mph winds, though.

Nearly 40 years is a pretty good record, tbh.

N1A, a GZ-20, named Stars and Stripes, crashed in Coral Springs FL in 2005, after encountering a thunderstorm-related downdraft.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost
Went to Planes Of Fame at the Chino Airport yesterday and got a few shots. Had the proverbial Southern California weather and clear skies for several flights of their B-25. The day started with a symposium about Doolittle's Raiders and the B-25 attack on Tokyo. I'll be back for a longer look when I'm on the West Coast for bidness.

Startup and taxi.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHbNq9S9uns

The only existing - and flying - N-9M.

Granville Brothers' GB-2. Jimmy Doolittle said it was the most dangerous aircraft he ever flew.

P-51's are kinda common, but this turned out to be a good picture.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I believe the Gee Bee is a replica, a lot of the air racers in that section there are.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I don't think I've seen this posted yet, video from the final ferry flight of Endeavour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAUZXGeAQC0

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Or the state of the areas where the lithium is mined for the batteries, and the even worse state of the areas where it's then refined into a state where it can be used to make batteries...then take into account safely recycling and/or disposing of them when they've reached their end-of-life state.

This is true. D'ye remember the Chinese city of Baotou, in inner Mongolia from a Ju 290 post? Well: http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20150402-the-worst-place-on-earth

The Ferret King posted:

I'd expect modern airship flight planning would lean heavily toward Not-Going-At-All if weather was a concern, reducing (though not eliminating of course) the possibilities of weather related mishaps.

Airships have very good bad weather flying characteristics generally - its one of the reasons the US Navy liked them in WW2. That said, like other aircraft they have to watch out for extreme weather conditions - and they have to be more cautious around them, as they can't just outrun them, or fly over them.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

What's that behind the GeeBee with the hammer and sickle on it? MiG-15?

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

What's that behind the GeeBee with the hammer and sickle on it? MiG-15?

MiG-17. There's several of them at PoF, a couple still fly.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Flikken posted:

I thought there was a USGS report that stated Afghanistan had a stupid amount of lithium.

This graph's from 2009, before they published that "this is why we're never leaving Afghanistan, ever" report.

Zoodpipe
Jun 24, 2004

This is an important call. So, shut the fuck up.
Fallen Rib
Automotive Aeronautical Insanity?

http://imgur.com/C08XqTm
http://imgur.com/0jjauyh

On 183 in Austin today

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Nebakenezzer posted:

This is true. D'ye remember the Chinese city of Baotou, in inner Mongolia from a Ju 290 post? Well: http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20150402-the-worst-place-on-earth

Well that's my downer for the day. :smith:

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

MrYenko posted:

N1A, a GZ-20, named Stars and Stripes, crashed in Coral Springs FL in 2005, after encountering a thunderstorm-related downdraft.

I forgot about this one. My cousin was working with the Spirit of Goodyear crew in Akron and got transferred to the Pompano base either right before or right after this happened. They didn't like the name of the new one, Spirit of Innovation, and I remember they would always complain about it. Well, looks like it's retiring in two years!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Don't know where this was or ID the carrier, but pretty sure someone driving the maintenance vehicle had to change their pants and some choice words were spoken in the cockpit.

Can't find a Youtube link, so hopefully CBC is watchable for outside Canada.

http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/Technology%20and%20Science/ID/2662592936/

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Looks like the tower could bite off a fair share of blame too.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2015/04/06/national/approaching-jets-close-call-maintenance-vehicle-laid-tokushima-controller-error/

They seem to be blaming the tower.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Zoodpipe posted:

Automotive Aeronautical Insanity?

http://imgur.com/C08XqTm
http://imgur.com/0jjauyh

On 183 in Austin today

Images aren't working for me. Could you re-upload?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

CommieGIR posted:

There is TWO major hurdle to Hydrogen generation: Its general source is water.

Worse than that, actually. Nobody produces hydrogen commercially via cracking it electrolytically, because it takes so damned much energy. The only places that produce hydrogen that way are nuclear submarines who use the electricity to produce oxygen for the crew to breathe and dump the hydrogen overboard as a waste product.

Commercially, hydrogen is produced by the steam reformation of hydrocarbons, predominantly natural gas. Which certainly doesn't change your underlying point:

quote:

It's kind of like electric vehicles in that way, people THINK 'Oh look how green I am' while ignoring the ecological damage done by the coal or natural gas plant generating their electricity to charge the car.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Man that's a bad day at the office. You simply MUST visually scan the runways as a tower controller.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Phanatic posted:

Worse than that, actually. Nobody produces hydrogen commercially via cracking it electrolytically, because it takes so damned much energy. The only places that produce hydrogen that way are nuclear submarines who use the electricity to produce oxygen for the crew to breathe and dump the hydrogen overboard as a waste product.

Commercially, hydrogen is produced by the steam reformation of hydrocarbons, predominantly natural gas. Which certainly doesn't change your underlying point

True, quite true. Its hilarious how so many people jumped on the Hydrogen fuel crowd without any research whatsoever

"I'm fighting the Petroleum Mafia!" :allears:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

True, quite true. Its hilarious how so many people jumped on the Hydrogen fuel crowd without any research whatsoever

"I'm fighting the Petroleum Mafia!" :allears:

I'm on the hydrogen as fuel bandwagon, but I also want a nuclear plant in my backyard to provide the power for it.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

bitcoin bastard posted:

I'm on the hydrogen as fuel bandwagon, but I also want a nuclear plant in my backyard to provide the power for it.

I really hope there is a way to address this. Nuclear has its complications but its one of if not, the cleanest way we can provide power in a stable way in the quantities needed.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Don't worry guys, fusion power is just around the corner! That will lead to a requirement for a whole lot of hydrogen for fusing, and then we'll have a surfeit of helium which we will then use to fill a glorious armada of airships! :shepface:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Tremblay posted:

I really hope there is a way to address this. Nuclear has its complications but its one of if not, the cleanest way we can provide power in a stable way in the quantities needed.

I'm not optimistic, because people hear ATOMZ and start thinking about Chernobyl and Fukushima. And Fukushima really should be a positive for nuclear power. A 50 year old obsolete design got hit with one of the biggest earthquakes/tsunamis in modern times, and had a relatively minor radiation leak. It was bad, but not really all that bad given the age of the design and what it had to cope with.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

bitcoin bastard posted:

I'm not optimistic, because people hear ATOMZ and start thinking about Chernobyl and Fukushima. And Fukushima really should be a positive for nuclear power. A 50 year old obsolete design got hit with one of the biggest earthquakes/tsunamis in modern times, and had a relatively minor radiation leak. It was bad, but not really all that bad given the age of the design and what it had to cope with.

Just tell people about the cool new clean generating technology you've developed called gestaltic photonic bombardment.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

bitcoin bastard posted:

These same people are the ones freaking out about Three Mile Island still, despite the fact that other than the reactor core melting down and disabling the reactor permanently, nothing happened.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

bitcoin bastard posted:

Aside from actually producing hydrogen, the big problem is that while it's massic energy density is top notch, its *volumetric* energy density is awful:

Note that that's cryogenic, and that tank's a *lot* bigger than the LOX tank. This is a big reason why so many rocket first-stages use kerosene as the fuel rather than hydrogen even though hydrogen would naively calculate out to better performance.

Aviation kerosene's about 38 megajoules/liter. Hydrogen at 33 MpA, just shy of 5000psi, is about 3 megajoules/liter.

Cryogenic fuel storage for private aircraft is never going to be a thing. And pressure vessels that can withstand pressures of that magnitude are not exactly light. So unless your airplane's wing tanks are of similar volume to a dirigible, I don't think hydrogen propulsion for aircraft is going to be a thing either.

Yeah, metal hydrides, hydrogen sponge, etc, but you're talking about storing ~5% hydrogen by weight. Also not going to get a plane very far.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Phanatic posted:

Aside from actually producing hydrogen, the big problem is that while it's massic energy density is top notch, its *volumetric* energy density is awful:

Note that that's cryogenic, and that tank's a *lot* bigger than the LOX tank. This is a big reason why so many rocket first-stages use kerosene as the fuel rather than hydrogen even though hydrogen would naively calculate out to better performance.

Aviation kerosene's about 38 megajoules/liter. Hydrogen at 33 MpA, just shy of 5000psi, is about 3 megajoules/liter.

Cryogenic fuel storage for private aircraft is never going to be a thing. And pressure vessels that can withstand pressures of that magnitude are not exactly light. So unless your airplane's wing tanks are of similar volume to a dirigible, I don't think hydrogen propulsion for aircraft is going to be a thing either.

Yeah, metal hydrides, hydrogen sponge, etc, but you're talking about storing ~5% hydrogen by weight. Also not going to get a plane very far.

That's a very good point I didn't take into account. Even if you could bring enough hydrogen along, where would you put it in the aircraft? The pressure vessel wants to be a cylinder, which is not a good shape for a wing.

E: Hydrogen powered dirigible? :v: Please don't hit me.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Tremblay posted:

Don't forget that storing hydrogen is interesting. BMW's Hydrogen 7 for example uses a vacuum-insulated tank supposedly equivalent to 56 feet of styrofoam insulation to try to keep it cold enough to remain liquid but still starts to boil off gas after around 18 hours of non-use. After a bit short of two weeks the tank will be entirely empty.

I liked the idea of hydrogen when I was younger because it seemed like the perfect transition fuel. Like CNG or LPG a gasoline motor can be relatively easily converted to run on it, even in a dual-fuel configuration (as in the BMW) where gasoline was still an option. Apparently diesels can also be made to run on it, though I don't know the details. You could have converted ICE vehicles, fuel-cell electrics, and whatever hybrid designs you could come up with all running off the same fuel if only it was practical to make/store.

Of course aside from the real practical issues with the production/distribution side there's still the big PR problem, bring up hydrogen cars with a lot of people and it won't take long for them to start thinking about crashes leading to "oh the humanity".

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

bitcoin bastard posted:

E: Hydrogen powered dirigible? :v: Please don't hit me.

Nice piece of fish posted:

Pretty real possibility that ain't happening, though

can't for the life of me think of a reason, but

Hydrogen as fuel is not happening.

The (far) future is biofuels, hybrids and electrics on the road, and biofuel for aircraft.

Also, massive starvation for most of the world's population due to the invisible and magical hand of the free market converting arable, food producing land for fuel crops until modern nuclear powerplants are developed en masse for our increased electrical consumption. Remember, money has no sense of morality and neither do the ones that possess it in abundance. Food riots will be interesting, though.

Also, massive environmental damage due to never putting the brakes on global warming. Looking forward to those severe droughts as well, I'm looking at you California.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
If you blame the current drought in California on global warming you are forever banned from complaining about people saying "We had a snowstorm, global warming is fake!"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Desertification is a major consequence of global warming, unfortunately we can't tell what's short term and what's not until it's in the past.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

wolrah posted:

Don't forget that storing hydrogen is interesting. BMW's Hydrogen 7 for example uses a vacuum-insulated tank supposedly equivalent to 56 feet of styrofoam insulation to try to keep it cold enough to remain liquid but still starts to boil off gas after around 18 hours of non-use. After a bit short of two weeks the tank will be entirely empty.

I liked the idea of hydrogen when I was younger because it seemed like the perfect transition fuel. Like CNG or LPG a gasoline motor can be relatively easily converted to run on it, even in a dual-fuel configuration (as in the BMW) where gasoline was still an option. Apparently diesels can also be made to run on it, though I don't know the details. You could have converted ICE vehicles, fuel-cell electrics, and whatever hybrid designs you could come up with all running off the same fuel if only it was practical to make/store.

Of course aside from the real practical issues with the production/distribution side there's still the big PR problem, bring up hydrogen cars with a lot of people and it won't take long for them to start thinking about crashes leading to "oh the humanity".

I'm not discounting it. My concern with hydrogen is how we produce it. That horse got beat earlier, so no need to rehash.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Mortabis posted:

If you blame the current drought in California on global warming you are forever banned from complaining about people saying "We had a snowstorm, global warming is fake!"

:laffo:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Desertification is a major consequence of global warming, unfortunately we can't tell what's short term and what's not until it's in the past.

Draining down aquifers due to a system of regulation that allows farmers to draw as much water from the ground as they feel like in order to grow ridiculously water-intensive crops in an environment that doesn't actually get a whole lot of rain is not "desertification due to global warming," it's just a stupid-rear end agricultural policy. There are good places to grow rice and almonds. California isn't one of them, and if farmers actually had to pay market rates for the water they're using to grow them, instead of just being able to draw as much groundwater as they want, for free, they'd grow crops that require a lot less water instead.

Agriculture accounts for 2% of California's economic output, and consumes 80% of its water. Guess which market segment didn't just get told to cut its water usage by 25%?

That's not global warming, that's just plain old political stupidity.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Yeah you're right its not desertification due to global warming its desertification due to anthropomorphic changes in the climate of California.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
It's not the climate, it's just tragedy of the commons. The local effects of global warming are impossible to predict and blaming weather patterns on it is kind of like blaming them on God. Not "lolol God is fake and so is global warming" but because it turns global warming into this vague omnipotent perpetrator of arbitrary weather events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Do you sometimes forget to breathe?