Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
I always get to 3 or 4km before launching my torps because I LIVE ON THE EDGE (and in US destroyers)

subhelios posted:

Don't ruin it. Making people go through Wargaming's BS to find the one or two actually useful things is funny.
The last time I went to the official forums the first thread I came across was one where some dude was complaining about how CVs are OP cause they can drop a spread right on top of you and you don't even have time to dodge!!!!!!!! :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
You can definitely sink cruisers with secondary gun fire alone, particularly as you go up in tier and the Japanese BBs get more and more of the things. They can even get Citadel hits for maximum laughter. Always follow up by typing SKILLSHOT in genchat.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Vengarr posted:

You can definitely sink cruisers with secondary gun fire alone, particularly as you go up in tier and the Japanese BBs get more and more of the things. They can even get Citadel hits for maximum laughter. Always follow up by typing SKILLSHOT in genchat.
In my Cleveland I got used to ignoring the secondary batteries on the lower tier BBs and then one day I made the mistake of driving into a Nagato's secondary battery range.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Insert name here posted:

In my Cleveland I got used to ignoring the secondary batteries on the lower tier BBs and then one day I made the mistake of driving into a Nagato's secondary battery range.

Yeah doesn't the nagato have 6 inch secondaries. So a cleveland is basically driving up to a battleship that fires off the same types of guns its carrying, but as secondaries.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
IIRC all the japanese BBs have 6-inch secondaries and 5-inch DP guns. The Nagato and Amagi have more of them than the Kongo and Fuso, though and the accurracy and range on them is better - Kongo and Fuso have 4km range on the secondaries, Amagi has 4.5km and Nagato and Yamato have 5km.

In other news, what I learned today:
1. The little channel between the islands at the C point on Fault Line? It's wide enough that a Phoenix and a Kongo can pass each other in there without colliding. The distance between both will be so short that it's inside torpedo activation range.
2. Cruiser-driving pubbies will go full deer in the headlights when they see an enemy Kongo enter the channel on the other side as they're going through it and will actually evade ramming you and let themselves get rip up by your front turrets followed by the secondaries followed by the rear turrets.

That poor pubbie in the Phoenix was probably traumatised after what I did there. :haw:

Magni fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 6, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Poil posted:

Is there an appropriate way to get close with a battleship to another battleship to bring the derpy guns to bear? Or is it better to attempt to hit at long range? I really have no clue how to properly play one.

Keep at longer range and drill dudes in the citadel. Battleships' best aspects shine at long range or at worst middle range. Secondaries are overall a battleship's way of saying it doesn't want to be that close.

quote:

Was that an intentional Kill La Kill reference (sort of)? :v:

God dammit Japan.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

They should increase the range of secondary guns because it's not like they're going to hit poo poo at 6-7k anyways but it would look neato

Crash74
May 11, 2009
lol so apparently still no gold with this next patch, which adds another gold ship............. WG never stop being you :allears:

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/22747-0303-patch/

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
What the hell is up with the target lock key? Sitting there with an enemy destroyer at 3km, pressing the key but I'm still locked onto some loving cruiser at 9km.

Also, I just unlocked the Cleveland and I can only come to the conclusion that Wargaming sat down and asked themselves "What are the things that pubbies in WoT struggle with the most?" and then removed them all. Crew skills and percents with multiple crew members? Lets simplify a ship with 1k people into "Captain who gets to pick the obvious skill out of 3 choices in 5 tiers". Armor penetration and bouncing? Shots always do damage and everything is RNG on citadel hits. Multiple consumable slots? Everyone gets a simple REPAIR button. Leading moving targets with accurate guns and tracking people at range? Ship guns are so inaccurate that you will never be rewarded for great aim.

cheese fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 7, 2015

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
I don't understand this RNG stuff everybody is talking about. Are you trying to shoot from maximum range all game?

It takes work to safely close the distance between your ships to 5-8km, but once you're there, you can lead your shots and get big citadel hits every time.

With the Cleveland's guns, you might be hitting penetration issues because they're pretty slow-velocity and low calibre. Once you upgrade to bigger guns, citadel hits are more frequent, so long as you're hitting the right spots.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I don't understand this RNG stuff everybody is talking about. Are you trying to shoot from maximum range all game?

It takes work to safely close the distance between your ships to 5-8km, but once you're there, you can lead your shots and get big citadel hits every time.

With the Cleveland's guns, you might be hitting penetration issues because they're pretty slow-velocity and low calibre. Once you upgrade to bigger guns, citadel hits are more frequent, so long as you're hitting the right spots.
I'm talking about how a small tank with a few guys in it has more attention paid to crew health and damage control than a ship with hundreds of people and thousands of tons. I can aim for driver hatches and ammo racks in tanks, but in war ships I just kind of lead it right and throw shells towards the middle of the ship, hoping I land more citadel hits than he does.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Individual salvoes from Clevelands at long range are variable because the hang time is so long that picking out the precise hitboxes that do the most is hard. Still, making it rain on dudes is a matter of skill.

This is more a Cleveland issue than a WoWS issue.

cheese posted:

Also, I just unlocked the Cleveland and I can only come to the conclusion that Wargaming sat down and asked themselves "What are the things that pubbies in WoT struggle with the most?" and then removed them all. Crew skills and percents with multiple crew members? Lets simplify a ship with 1k people into "Captain who gets to pick the obvious skill out of 3 choices in 5 tiers". Armor penetration and bouncing? Shots always do damage and everything is RNG on citadel hits. Multiple consumable slots? Everyone gets a simple REPAIR button. Leading moving targets with accurate guns and tracking people at range? Ship guns are so inaccurate that you will never be rewarded for great aim.

Incidentally repair cooldown management is a pretty big deal, far more than kit when you take the first random crit. Do you let the fire burn out and risk getting gutted by flooding from a torp? Also, being able to consistently make it rain on enemies from extreme range is a pretty big reward in and of itself. You should see what you can do with the ability to consistently hit from 16+ km in a battleship (the answer is plenty of 100k+ damage games).

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

xthetenth posted:

Incidentally repair cooldown management is a pretty big deal, far more than kit when you take the first random crit. Do you let the fire burn out and risk getting gutted by flooding from a torp? Also, being able to consistently make it rain on enemies from extreme range is a pretty big reward in and of itself. You should see what you can do with the ability to consistently hit from 16+ km in a battleship (the answer is plenty of 100k+ damage games).
A single 3 minute cooldown repair that works on everything is not "a pretty big deal". Again, I have more choice to make on a 3 man tank than a ship with 800 people and numerous complex systems. "Save your repair kit for the first time a gun gets knocked out or you lose engine/steering" is not a particularly deep game play decision. Wargaming missed a huge opportunity here and making every warships game feel like a tier 1 tanks game was a big mistake.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

cheese posted:

A single 3 minute cooldown repair that works on everything is not "a pretty big deal". Again, I have more choice to make on a 3 man tank than a ship with 800 people and numerous complex systems. "Save your repair kit for the first time a gun gets knocked out or you lose engine/steering" is not a particularly deep game play decision. Wargaming missed a huge opportunity here and making every warships game feel like a tier 1 tanks game was a big mistake.

A single 3 minute cooldown repair that deals with status effects that can peel multiple thousands of HP off your ship is a pretty big deal when you're deciding to deal with a minor one that doesn't necessarily need to be fixed immediately. There's definitely a need to quickly read the situation before kicking off a repair and entering a cooldown where you have to eat any floods, fires or crits you take. There's no depth whatsoever to the tanks model of use consumable to fix first crit that matters. It's hardly a choice, it's just a solved problem that you execute by rote.

And it's pretty obvious why losing one crew of four is a bigger deal than ten of 1300. The commander setup does a better job of spreading out crew skills so you're making continual progress.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
There's really no way to aim at anything in particular on a ship other than center mass outside secondary range, and making cruiser guns worthless against armored ships would basically make cruisers super-boring and make World of Battleships at the higher tiers even worse. Destroyer torp range scaling isn't that useful because 10km+ shots are such a crapshoot with torps and will almost never hit.

Most people's suggestions seem to be geared toward making the game more World of Battleships than it already is.

I do agree that the game doesn't have quite enough to it but I don't know if people really think through what their suggestions mean. A cruiser in a 'support' role literally does nothing but sit right beside a battleship to jack up the AA quotient and one-shot approaching DDs, not that battleships don't also one-shot DDs. The only good thing DDs do in high tiers is pop smoke.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Apparently the patch is going to fix an issue with AP underwater oneshotting destroyers, so they might get a boost and cruisers get a boost because they don't need oneshots to kill destroyers.

They really need to can the idiot idea of making the torpedo detection range a function of their maximum range. Greater range on torpedoes should be a pure buff.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I got my first night in with battleships. Battleships seem satisfying but pretty dull because their position game is so limited.

Torpedo-armed cruisers are probably the most general fun I've had with the game, since you get a wide range of movement and attack options and don't instantly explode unless a battleship sees you. I'm not convinced the game is actually getting more fun as the tier level increases.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
"An experimental 'Ocean' map without any obstacles"

gently caress me sideways

That's going to be miserable

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

General Battuta posted:

I got my first night in with battleships. Battleships seem satisfying but pretty dull because their position game is so limited.

Torpedo-armed cruisers are probably the most general fun I've had with the game, since you get a wide range of movement and attack options and don't instantly explode unless a battleship sees you. I'm not convinced the game is actually getting more fun as the tier level increases.

It really doesn't. Honestly the game is probably best balanced at tier 4-5 and then it goes to hell because the gunnery gand AA get so much better overall. It's kind of like how WoT becomes a super alpha strike game at the high tiers.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Vengarr posted:

And they get what they want, and they never want it again (hopefully).

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
It would be interesting if there could be an oceanic map which had waves rising and falling, creating a sort of dynamic landscape, but the engine probably doesn't support that kind of thing.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

xthetenth posted:

And they get what they want, and they never want it again (hopefully).

Or WoWS will just turn into navy field 3.0, since everyone only played the open waters map :negative:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
It's some kind of poetry that they introduced a new premium ship, renamed Piasters to Tokens, and then didn't hand out any Piasters Tokens.

900 is all I want man, I just need three more ship slots. I'd be good with 3.

e: a filthy, cockroach-infested "premium" ship. It was loaned to the Soviet Union for the duration of the war, but the Russians poo poo it up so bad the US gassed it and scrapped it as soon as it came back.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 7, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Vengarr posted:

It's some kind of poetry that they introduced a new premium ship, renamed Piasters to Tokens, and then didn't hand out any Piasters Tokens.

900 is all I want man, I just need three more ship slots. I'd be good with 3.

Hopefully all the kvetching works, because apparently automated gold handouts are messed up somehow. Ship slots would be so nice.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Vengarr posted:

Stevefin posted:

Or WoWS will just turn into navy field 3.0, since everyone only played the open waters map :negative:

:psyduck:

You don't even manually angle your guns, you just point and click... What are half the ships in the game going to do?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Get sunk by the battleship blob at 20 km like god intended.

These patch notes aren't making me feel very optimistic.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

The map should be named shut the hell up about dumb ideas, forum.

Hopefully it gets through into the huggingpillowbox on the US forum.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

What if the open-ocean map is completely blanketed by fog which behaves like persistent destroyer smoke?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Panzeh posted:

There's really no way to aim at anything in particular on a ship other than center mass outside secondary range, and making cruiser guns worthless against armored ships would basically make cruisers super-boring and make World of Battleships at the higher tiers even worse. Destroyer torp range scaling isn't that useful because 10km+ shots are such a crapshoot with torps and will almost never hit.

Most people's suggestions seem to be geared toward making the game more World of Battleships than it already is.

I do agree that the game doesn't have quite enough to it but I don't know if people really think through what their suggestions mean. A cruiser in a 'support' role literally does nothing but sit right beside a battleship to jack up the AA quotient and one-shot approaching DDs, not that battleships don't also one-shot DDs. The only good thing DDs do in high tiers is pop smoke.
There is something missing. I don't know if its a more advanced damage control system, more interesting spotting system, or what. It feels like they slowed down World of Tanks by ~40%, but didn't give you anything else extra to do during that time.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Where are you even seeing the patch notes, because I just see "3.03 is coming!"

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
No CV changes :negative:

Stevefin posted:

Thankfully you can't pick the map in WoWS so it won't be 24/7 ocean all the time

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Weather effects that move across maps would be neat and provide a suitable terrain, IMO, but haha good luck getting Wargaming to implement that kind of change to their engine.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Honestly, one game type that would be interesting to add would be night battles. Drastically reduced spotting ranges for everything, along with difficulty lining up shots where you want them(unless you happen to know just where the weak points on a ship are just from its silhouette) It'd radically change the force dynamic of that scenario, since basically everything becomes knife fights, resulting in a significantly changed force dynamic. Battleships are still lethal if they can hit of course, but their slow rate of fire means they HAVE to operate as a team with others or they'll just die horribly via destroyer or torpedo-armed cruiser. Probably just lock carriers out of that game type entirely.

Of course, a bunch of the pubbie BB drivers would probably rage and scream, demanding nerfs to the "OP" destroyers, so I guess we'll never get that. :(

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Fighting inside a hurricane or gale with waves strong enough to gently caress with your aiming and movement would be loving sick as hell too bad you know it won't happen

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Watch as the pubbie battleship drivers love it but say it's still too easy for destroyers and carriers to kill them. Next up typhoon cobra the map.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Maybe they're going to make you manually elevate your guns in a BB.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Argas posted:

What if the open-ocean map is completely blanketed by fog which behaves like persistent destroyer smoke?

Ah, the War Thunder approach. I never knew that 90% of WWII battles had clouds below 5k feet. Also any word on when US BBs are coming? I've put the game on hold for a bit to try not to burn out.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I'm told the Alpha NDA has been lifted and that this is what the game looked like.

quote:

Early versions of the game had actual long-range gunnery duels of the type you'd expect from a naval game; currently ranges on guns are compressed. This is the original Warships UI.

Note the overhead view with the line-and-CEP setup. Looks like it'd make things easy to hit, right?

At maximum range, your shell flight time was thirty seconds or more. With that kind of hang time, hitting a target meant guessing their maneuvers correctly; the only people who died easily were the people who didn't maneuver. The Russian fanbase, and a few vocal useful idiots on NA, decided however that zigzagging was hard, and this made the game too simple. (Or too complex, we got both arguments, often at the same time.)

Thus, in version 1.8, it was disposed of. Ranges were shortened to what we have now. Buoyancy, a separate hitpoint bar that tracked your torpedo and below the waterline damage, was removed, along with its unique effects. (You slowed down if you had less than 1/3 left.) They did not, however, and still have not, reworked the armor model; meaning that most ships are currently incapable of engaging from their immunity zone to their own guns.

:shrug:

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
The wake being left by that BB looks incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Stevefin posted:

They need to add the map that was a solid wall of icebergs down the whole map with 3 small gaps in it. That was the most hilarious one.