Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

JackssWastedLife posted:

Tulo/Arenado tandem going to be fun this season :getin:

Soon.
Soooooon.

God I can't believe he reoffered me that trade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

ChiTownEddie posted:

Soon.
Soooooon.

God I can't believe he reoffered me that trade.

Yeah... you're a lucky bastard.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Hopefully Morneau/The Dick will be just as good in CO.

Also change the title to stream against Philly

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'm bidding 27 faab on Grilli

I have a problem

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

hey, guys. i want to remind everyone we've watched our players play ONE game of ONE HUNDRED AND SIXTY TWO. we've learned nothing we didn't know saturday, outside of injuries. don't overreact. hell, give it a week or four before you do anything major.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Too late dropped Rizzo Donaldson Puig and Samarzidja

Edit:

Avoiding Pedroia was smart. Peep this yearly ISO drop, even before the injury

:eyepop:

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 7, 2015

weas
Jul 22, 2007

Tougher than the
toughest tough guy
Pedroia hit 29% of his homer total last year today. :stare:

Gonna really regret avoiding him this year if he stays healthy.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

hmm i've got both shoemaker and iwakuma, and they're facing each other on wednesday. i don't want to start both because i need to monitor innings pitched in this league, so who do i go with? i'm leaning shoemaker, but that's because, in such a scenario, i always side with the higher k potential. and i guess the mariners' lineup is weaker than the angels.

thoughts?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Those are decisions you have to make in August and September not before April 10th.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

stats count as much now as they do then, my dude. yea, we have more info then, but i'd still like to be right now, and i do think there's information here to work with.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Don't play matchups with your good players, or you are likely to feel like a fool when they perform just like you expected them to perform when you drafted them.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Start 'em both and deal your SP towards the end of the season? I'd go with Iwakuma, personally.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

start them both, it's only the second day of the season, christ

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Start them both. You can't know if either of them will be healthy for the rest of the season, so you want to get as many wins and K's as you can out of your pitchers. You're better off hitting the innings limit early and maybe trading a pitcher for a hitter than not hitting the limit at all and missing out on a bunch of starts.

Well, assuming it's a roto league. If it's a head to head with a season innings limit, just quit.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Don't listen to all these fools, the only way to be safe for sure is to sit them both

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bid 27 for Grili, lost to a $36 bid. gently caress

I did get Archie Bradley though for $1.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Also Pedrioa had value even if he slugged .375 so he was still rosterable.

He also said in the off season his power was back after they fixed his wrist.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Abel Wingnut posted:

hey, guys. i want to remind everyone we've watched our players play ONE game of ONE HUNDRED AND SIXTY TWO. we've learned nothing we didn't know saturday, outside of injuries. don't overreact. hell, give it a week or four before you do anything major.

This is true for everything but bullpens.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

euphronius posted:

Also Pedrioa had value even if he slugged .375 so he was still rosterable.

He also said in the off season his power was back after they fixed his wrist.

People you shouldn't believe:
- anybody talking about anything in the offseason

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

No that's dumb. You have to filter it. Some if it is true.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
The next closer to lose his job will probably be LaTroy Hawkins in Colorado since he's old and lovely. Their 8th inning guy is Boone Logan, but I'd bet Rafael Betancourt is the closer eventually since he's been really good and was their closer before.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

euphronius posted:

No that's dumb. You have to filter it. Some if it is true.

So you're telling me everyone is in the best shape of their lives/seeing the ball better/working on a new pitch/going to steal a lot more bags?

It's mostly noise and Pedroia's power decline was coming well before his wrist injury. Unless he went all Rookie of the Year, that's precisely the type of thing you ignore.

JackssWastedLife
Oct 30, 2006

Spoeank posted:

So you're telling me everyone is in the best shape of their lives/seeing the ball better/working on a new pitch/going to steal a lot more bags?

It's mostly noise and Pedroia's power decline was coming well before his wrist injury. Unless he went all Rookie of the Year, that's precisely the type of thing you ignore.

That's not what he's saying at all. He's saying it's not all total hogwash.

Edit: VVVV Exactly!

JackssWastedLife fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 7, 2015

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

You can tell if it's true if they end up having a good season.

And Pedroia hit two homers on Opening Day so clearly he will have a good season, QED

(but seriously, I drafted Kipnis with Pedroia still on the board and that was probably dumb)

tinstaach fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 7, 2015

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Stream against the Phils

Having Hanley and Arenado made someone real mad last night

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Of course day 1.
Is there any news on how bad Braun's injury is?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

no, but it's related to his midsection. odds are it's an oblique strain. if owning braun has taught me anything, he'll miss two weeks, then play off and on for like the following 10 days.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

While we're on the topic, my ~~April matchups~~ story happened when I was choosing between two waiver guys to spot start in 2012. I picked Jake Westbrook against the Pirates because their offense wasn't great (Andrew McCutchen wasn't ANDREW MCCUTCHEN yet). He did pretty well, allowed 2 runs in 6 2/3 and taking a tough loss. The other guy, uh, did better.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

tinstaach posted:

While we're on the topic, my ~~April matchups~~ story happened when I was choosing between two waiver guys to spot start in 2012. I picked Jake Westbrook against the Pirates because their offense wasn't great (Andrew McCutchen wasn't ANDREW MCCUTCHEN yet). He did pretty well, allowed 2 runs in 6 2/3 and taking a tough loss. The other guy, uh, did better.

Hahaha I listened to that whole game on a long car ride three years ago and completely forgot the name "Philip Humber".

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Since Yahoo Pro Leagues aren't going yet I joined a money league thru the Rotoworld forums, a 12-teamer with huge rosters. Toughest draft of the year, all 12 owners knew their poo poo. Every time I was choosing between two players, the dude I didn't take was like the next pick.

Anyway, a couple deep league questions. I'm thinking of dropping Luis Valbuena to grab Brandon Crawford for tonight (streaming hitters in Arizona seems like a swell idea). Valbuena is projected for 15 HR though and he hit 3rd on Opening Day, is he more valuable than Crawford in a MIF slot?

Also I drafted Rodon since the SPs that were left were total trash, but there's no N/A slot and it's not a keeper league. Any idea when he gets called up?

weas
Jul 22, 2007

Tougher than the
toughest tough guy
I think I'd hang onto Valbuena in a deep roster league. He has nice eligibility and he's getting everyday ABs in the middle of a lineup.

I suspect when the Sox bring Rodon up, it will be in the bullpen, unless there is an injury to one of the starters. I doubt he's worth stashing over a more flexible bench spot, especially if you are talking about streaming hitters.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
yo gently caress ryan braun i knew i shouldn't have kept chasing that loving dragon

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

When is syndergaard getting promoted. June? Any talk of him coming up sooner?

Muerte
Jan 22, 2015

I wish I could find the article from ESPN that mentioned he was a must start today. I know you cant predict things like this but uggh nothing like being sabotaged first week of the season.

intensive purposes
Jul 1, 2009

Muerte posted:

I wish I could find the article from ESPN that mentioned he was a must start today. I know you cant predict things like this but uggh nothing like being sabotaged first week of the season.

Seemed like some not-great fielding contributed, but yeah... wondering if it's too hasty to drop him and pick up a free agent. I'm in a 6-team league so we didn't go as deep as some.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Yes, I think one start is too early to drop a 27-year-old pitcher with a career 3.34 ERA.

e: Though I'd definitely keep an eye out for any rumblings that his health isn't right. Too bad fantasy teams can't use the Phantom DL.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

good job getting hurt Belt.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

euphronius posted:

good job getting hurt Belt.

I am completely shocked that this happened.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Muerte posted:

Steamer projected Latos to have a bad year. Fangraphs said it was because his velocity went down last year.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/why-steamer-doesnt-like-mat-latos/

And he had a really lovely spring.

Schweinhund fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeltaAttack2go
Feb 6, 2003

what the christ
Thinking about dropping Betts because he only hit one home run.

It's April! It's time to panic, everyone!

• Locked thread